It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repeal minimum wage says the Grouch

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You start a country with nothing but rich elitists.
I'll start one with the poor masses.
Since i'll have the majority of the population.
I will then invade your country and wipe you off the map.
CORPORATE AMERICA! see where your headed!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We can really end the discussion right now unless someone finds a single country of comparable size without minimum wage, and where people are off BETTER than with minimum wage. There's none by the way, but feel free to waste some time searching for one

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Maslo

Negative income tax based welfare system is the answer for low wages...

So essentially you want he government to carry the cost of lack in salary once minimum wages are gone...which essentially means you want the tax payer to make up for what the corporations don't want to make up. Sure, sounds great and makes total sense

You, that logic was very logical for me too.

what is the logic in making sure that people walking the same streets as you can thrive and spend a higher volume of money in your locale?
edit on 2-8-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

We can really end the discussion right now unless someone finds a single country of comparable size without minimum wage, and where people are off BETTER than with minimum wage. There's none by the way, but feel free to waste some time searching for one

I am waiting

Maybe
England
Norway
Germany???

Its like that fat sickly guy who claims he is a 8th degree black belt, but can't even walk a flight without getting winded.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

I am waiting

Maybe
England
Norway
Germany???

Its like that fat sickly guy who claims he is a 8th degree black belt, but can't even walk a flight without getting winded.

Actually, Norway has no minimum wage mandated by government. But they have the other (le gasp!) bad word: "Unions".

Unions mandate their minimum wage and it rounds out (in the entry-level industries) to about 30USD per hour. Very livable, even by their high living expenses.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The minuim wage should be raised. What needs to happen when a raise is enstated a company that selles necessaties such as grocery store items, rents housing or utlities can not raise prices within the same year the minium wage is enstated. In fact there needs to be about a 5 year price freeze all necessaties including gas which means prices can not go up and can down if the company wants. Mininuim wage needs to catch up with the current cost of living. Now on items such as big screen tvs, luxery cars only, anything that is a luxery item prices can go up. So if a gocery store sells food and other say flashlights or cell phones the prices of the flashlights and cell phones can go up but not on food products. Prices can raise on candy or soda but not on bread, eggs, milk,flour,sugar, produce,fruit,canned goods etc. Utlity companies have enough raises to last for at least a decade. Basic non luxery cars and compact or family cars price tags can not go up either.
Anyone on minium wage should also be allowed to rent an apartment or buy a car. If people are making $3 a hour how will they qualify for a car or an apartment?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Minuim Wage Debate
I just found a really great article that is a debate if you have time read it. It brings up really good points on both sides.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
So rather than raise the standard for all, it seems better to gobble down and gag on more corporate fumunda cheese?

No no no bad monkey, bad bad bad. Dont hurt the other monkeys, make the other monkeys just as happy and healthy as the lazy lay on your ass exploiting monkeys, especially when the working monkeys are willing to work.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Norway

OK

Lets keep em coming!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

Norway

OK

Lets keep em coming!

It's important to remember, though, that their solution to minimum wage is Unionization of every industry. Unions are something that is hated by the same people that hate minimum wage.

Personally, I wish we had both.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

Norway

OK

Lets keep em coming!

Like he explained, they have unions in place to make sure minimum wage is achieved otherwise. In the US, they're doing their best to destroy unions, so they wouldn't have that benefit. There's other countries that make sure the people have a set minimum wage. Switzerland for example has collective bargaining and the minimum wage is between c. $3k all the way up to almost $7k per month. The same goes for Germany...and those agreements are enforceable by law!

So yeah, feel free to repeal minimum wage, but you better make sure every single profession has collective bargaining rights and a union. I wonder how many of the GOP would vote in favor of that

And some countries which have minimum wage regulations completely fail at enforcing those standards.
edit on 2-8-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This topic and post just shows boredom, This place used to occasionally have something noteworthy to offer as a story, now it seems people write fictions and absurd stories just to stir and irritate.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am assuming you mean rasing the minuim wage. Overall when a person's rate of pay is increased so that person's productivity. When a person's rate of pay is decreased that person's productivity goes down. A company who pays lower wages values their employees little; an employer who pays more values them more.
I will give you the example of my sub contracting job. In the begginning I was paid $12-$20 an hour and usually I made between $15-$20. The company gave us guarnteed hours and provided training. They valued us because they paid us so much.
2 and a half years later they cut the pay down little by little. They start delaying pay and not even informing us. They enstate ridculous rules such as if you don't make $100 per paycheck then you don't get paid until you get up to that amount. Towards the end I was only making $25 a week and it would take me a month to get paid. The final week they enstated a new contract on everyone with only a few days notice. We could not argue or disagree with the new pay of $2 or 3 an hour it equated to. I was laid off because I argued and I have no protection for unemployment benefits or minuim wage standards. They were so quick to cancel my contract when 4 years ago when I first started they valued my opionion and even asked the workers what they felt on certian issues. This last year when the wages went down so did producitvity and let me tell you what low morale that company had over the last year.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

this is a topic that needs to be addressed. We the people of the USA and even the world are under attack by the wealthy elites. They want to take as much as possible away from us. Just look at many of the posts on here to see evidence of all the things that have been implemented or threatened to be take away over the past few years.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

There's other good ways to pay a decent and fair salary. My company adds up the amount you cost them (desk space, base salary, share of office rent, internet, and so on), adds 25% on top of that...and everything else is pure bonus for you. So you have a great incentive for busting your ass because your $100k salary could turn into a $500k to $2m salary rather quickly if you work hard. The problem is, you can't track profits as easily in every single profession...take people working at a call center for example.

There's other companies that work in a similar "profit sharing" way...sadly they're in the minority and you normally only get a cut if you're the top dog.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

The problem of the 5% with 95% of the wealth would remain, repealing the minimum wage would not change that.

There is only so much money in the world and only a few people control most of it,repealing the minimum wage would only serve to give them more.

Sooner or later this gross imbalance has to tip, trickle down Keynesian economics doesn't work, the rich continue to hoard their wealth rather than spend it.

A successful economy needs to percolate up from the bottom, money needs to flow freely and circulate around the system, repealing the minimum wage is the rhetoric of failure to confront the abomination of extreme wealth.

Wealth is the mother of poverty.

Cosmic...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I had 2 sub contracting jobs and the other one I have now has bonus and incentatives. The pay stays the same or goes up if you work harder. The other company I was working hard yet my pay was continuely cut. I think if a company does not want to pay minuim wage they should do sub contracting. This a perfect option for small businesses. I wish there were protections for sub contracts though but because it is considered more or less self employed there are none. I feel that if big companies do sub contracting they should have to go by minium wage standards.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
This topic and post just shows boredom, This place used to occasionally have something noteworthy to offer as a story, now it seems people write fictions and absurd stories just to stir and irritate.

Yet here you are on page 8 enjoying the boring, fictitious, absurdity of it. Ironic, isn't it?:

edit on 8/2/2011 by dubiousone because: Correction

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Originally posted by Plotus

Yet here you are on page 8 enjoying the boring, fictitious, absurdity of it. Ironic, isn't it?:

edit on 8/2/2011 by dubiousone because: Correction

They did not read
just
getting up their post count...
edit on 2-8-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

list some nations that prosper without minimum wage standards. I think no body can find any examples

My dear friend and brother,

I think you all ready know the answer to that, and that is answer is the United States of America.

Minimum wage in the United States began in 1938, but the United States had prospered post Civil War up until the Great Depression, and I do not think anyone can reasonably argue that it was a lack of minimum wage that led to that depression.

It strikes me that all the minimum wage has accomplished is actually place a maximum on unskilled employment, instead of allowing individuals to negotiate the best deal possible for the exchange of labor or services for a paycheck.

I like what you have to say about the banking industry, but as far as free and open markets go, and even business, banks hardly qualify as either, and are one of the biggest scams ever perpetuated upon any public. What services do banks truly provide? How many people genuinely have enough wealth to justify keeping it in a bank? How many people can actually secure a loan from a bank? How many of those people who do not have enough wealth to rationally justify keeping a bank account, and will never secure a loan from a bank are doing business with banks because of government regulation?

People have the right to contract without any unwarranted government intrusion. You suggest that removing minimum wage requirements would bring about abject poverty for millions. Anecdotally speaking I see plenty of people working for minimum wage today living in abject poverty.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join