It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repeal minimum wage says the Grouch

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Nosred

People who are on unemployment get at least $800 per month which is about $5 per hour. People would only want to get off of unemployment for HIGHER pay. With the greed and corruption in our current system I doubt prices will go down in fact they might even go up. Minium wage is about protecting the worker so they can have enough money to live on. If anything minuim wage needs to go up and prices stablize.
edit on 1-8-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

Yeah see, in a true capitalism we wouldn't have that "only get off unemployment for HIGHER pay" bullcrap. If you are offered a job and you don't take it, then it's your own fault if you end up starving in the streets. Stop expecting the productive people of society to support you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Hmmm, that's if you can even get hired at all, I put in for some internships (if they pay at all it's usually under minimum wage, alot don't pay any wage) Anyhoo, The reason I did that is because currently I am studying the IT field and have 9 months left so I was hoping for an internship for the field to gain experience. No such luck. See when you're willing to do the job for little or no money, it still doesn't mean you're guaranteed a position. The thing you've described is a logical fallacy.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Unemployment is a system everyone pays into by working at THEIR jobs hence the term unemployment. People can't get it unless they have worked! They aren't living off anyone. I have said this a million times over we all depend on something whether it be a job or unemployment, socail security, disablity etc. You can be laid off for no reason no matter how long you have worked somewhere!
I have worked 20 years of my life and I still work. I am on disablity and I paid in the system same as those on unemployment. They pair their dues and will get a job over time. They are recquired to apply for so many jobs per week. Please stop judging others and look at your own life. In this economy I am shocked by this type of statement. I don't believe people are lazy, just down on their luck, depressed or disabled. There may be a few who are lazy but it is not up to me to judge!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Google it. The subject matter is all over the place. Check this for instance:

housingforall.org...

Yes, it is illegal to be homeless.

Edited to add: I did S & F this post for attention to the OP. OP or anyone else does not need to give me any attention. This is humanism for GD sakes!
edit on 1-8-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Nosred

Hmmm, that's if you can even get hired at all, I put in for some internships

Minimum wage laws are one of the biggest reasons it's impossible to find a job.

Look at it this way - Illegal immigrants taking a lot of jobs in America? Not a problem without minimum wage since employers no longer have a reason to hire an illegal over a citizen, that right there opens countless positions for someone looking for work. - Small business owner struggling just to pay the bills? Guess what, without minimum wage you can afford to hire more people meaning your business will be more profitable and you can eventually afford to pay them more. - Dropped out of high school and unskilled? Employers can now afford to hire countless more people like you. If you work hard and improve yourself you'll eventually be able to find a better job elsewhere, or get payed more where you're working for putting in more effort (quality of work would be rewarded without minimum wage, after all you wouldn't want to lose one of your best workers to the competition would you?). - Highly educated or skilled but can't find a job? By being able to hire unskilled workers without paying a minimum wage businesses are now making more money and can afford to hire more people like you.

See how this works?

Edit: Oh, also you wouldn't have to pay to support all the un-productive members of society anymore. That makes up for any decrease in your salary, combined with the deflation.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Actually im not singing the praises of minimum wage i just made a point about working with minimum wage. Hey no one starts out life as middle class and if you take a little resposibility anyone can get there.

And btw if i ever started a company it would be a co-op everyone involved would have a fair portion of the pie. As a matter of fact we are talking about buying a shrimp boat and doing site clearance work. Now for granted if i do this i wont be rich but then again i dont want to be but it can boost my income up an extra three hundred a day.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Nosred

Unemployment is a system everyone pays into by working at THEIR jobs hence the term unemployment. People can't get it unless they have worked! They aren't living off anyone. I have said this a million times over we all depend on something whether it be a job or unemployment, socail security, disablity etc. You can be laid off for no reason no matter how long you have worked somewhere!

And there are thousands of people who cheat the system every year by working for a week or so, quitting, and collecting unemployment until you have to work again.

Edit: And you wouldn't be laid off without minimum wage. You might see a pay deduction, but that's a hell of a lot better than losing your job entirely. The people who lose their jobs would be the ones who perform poorly. If you are a hard worker but were fired for economic reasons, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job elsewhere without minimum wage.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Wow. Well that is even more reason for the minuim wage to stay in place or increased. So if someone is down on their luck well things can get a lot worse. Sad country we live in.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Of course I will keep at it until I succeed and I wasn't trying to come across adverstising my life coaching business at all. I just was trying to illustrate my point that a person can do all the rights things and nothing happens.

Good for you! Yes, people can "do all the right things" and it would seem that nothing "happened" in return. Part of that problem lies in the shutting down of free and open markets to pave the way for corporatism, but that entropic system does not have to be any person's reality.

Everything, in my not so humble opinion, happens the way it supposed to happen. Your concerns right now are that you are not Having what you expected to Have, after all of your Being and Doing, but since you will keep at it, I have no doubt that the Having will come.

The important thing is that you have found your Be, which is life coaching, and you are Doing your best to Do what life coaches do. Of course, I suppose the Do for life coaching is actually life coaching people. Now where's the Have, right?

Recognize what you all ready have and be most grateful for that! In your gratitude, I am certain you will only become an even better life coach, and as this betterment reaches a point of exponential growth, watch out baby!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

You can't quit and get unemployment you have to be laid off or fired. You have to be there longer than a week too. I am not talking about the few who do this either. Stop judging the majority by the minority of people who supposedly do this? I don't know anyone like this and have known 5 hard working people on unemployment. What kind of people do you hang out with?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864

Actually im not singing the praises of minimum wage i just made a point about working with minimum wage. Hey no one starts out life as middle class and if you take a little resposibility anyone can get there.

No one starts life out as middle class

WTF are you talking about. I did and everyone I know did. And I feel blessed that I wasn't born into a poor family. I acquired a good education from studying hard and applying myself but poor people don't have that option with tuition costs and there just aren't enough scholarships. If you would google demographics and do a little research...most people in the US are still middle class even with the economic downturn and high unemployment. But give the GOP enough time and we will be back to corporate feudalism.

Good luck with your clean up business. I have a feeling you are going to need it!!
edit on 1-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Ummmm that's totally ridiculous and impossible, you have to work a minimum of 6 months at least continuously to even get unemployment.

A: By law, the unemployment insurance program provides benefits to people who: .
Have enough employment to establish a claim
Have lost employment through no fault of their own
Are ready, willing and able to work and
Are actively seeking work

NY UE

One week doesn't meet the requirement in ANY state.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Nosred

Hmmm, that's if you can even get hired at all, I put in for some internships

Minimum wage laws are one of the biggest reasons it's impossible to find a job.

Look at it this way - Illegal immigrants taking a lot of jobs in America? Not a problem without minimum wage since employers no longer have a reason to hire an illegal over a citizen, that right there opens countless positions for someone looking for work. - Small business owner struggling just to pay the bills? Guess what, without minimum wage you can afford to hire more people meaning your business will be more profitable and you can eventually afford to pay them more. - Dropped out of high school and unskilled? Employers can now afford to hire countless more people like you. If you work hard and improve yourself you'll eventually be able to find a better job elsewhere, or get payed more where you're working for putting in more effort (quality of work would be rewarded without minimum wage, after all you wouldn't want to lose one of your best workers to the competition would you?). - Highly educated or skilled but can't find a job? By being able to hire unskilled workers without paying a minimum wage businesses are now making more money and can afford to hire more people like you.

See how this works?

Edit: Oh, also you wouldn't have to pay to support all the un-productive members of society anymore. That makes up for any decrease in your salary, combined with the deflation.

So what you are saying is, remove those evil minimum wage laws, and illegal immigration will vanish? So, you are suggesting turning us into mexico? Or, make it even worse than mexico so mexicans will stop coming here?

Great plan, stupid.

PS you are still spouting your opinion that deflation will will as though it were fact. Link? Proof? Any experience in the real world, in a real economy, where this happened?
edit on 1-8-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

You should go back and look at my post about one of my sub contracting jobs. I went from $20 an hour to $3 an hour in a years time. They still charged the cliental $100 an hour yet my pay went down. It really caused me to resent that sub contracting job because I did so much work for so little money in the end.$12 an hour was ok with me but not $3/hour espically when I had maybeone client a day! I ended up getting fired because I was so sick of my pay being cut!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Hey news flash when your parents are middle class and you enter the work force your not automatcally middle class. Even if you goto school its still considered a profession and most students i have met are pretty poor.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Nosred

You can't quit and get unemployment you have to be laid off or fired. You have to be there longer than a week too. I am not talking about the few who do this either. Stop judging the majority by the minority of people who supposedly do this? I don't know anyone like this and have known 5 hard working people on unemployment. What kind of people do you hang out with?

If they're hard working people then they shouldn't have a problem getting a job without minimum wage. Employers can hire more people, the only ones who suffer from this are the un-productive ones leeching off society.

Edit: We wouldn't get stuff like this,

www.yournorthhills.com...

www.myfoxboston.com...

www.insurancejournal.com...

And instead of sitting back and collecting unemployment, you can actually go out and find a job and contribute (even a low paying job is better than nothing at all).

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

I take it you worked in the construction field? If you do then get like minded people together and form your own company. I mean seriously you have all the skills right and all they do is office work right?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864
Even if you goto school its still considered a profession and most students i have met are pretty poor.

OMFG. If going to school was a profession, I would still be going to school....BUT IT doesn't pay anything, It cost money to go to school, how in the hell can that be a profession???

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't professional people like Doctors, Dentist and Ship Captains get paid. Isn't that the reason they became professional people in the first place??

People going to school are called STUDENTS. The term "professional student" is a misnomer.

edit on 1-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
So what you are saying is, remove those evil minimum wage laws, and illegal immigration will vanish? So, you are suggesting turning us into mexico? Or, make it even worse than mexico so mexicans will stop coming here?

Great plan, stupid.

Or huh, employers won't have any reason to hire an illegal immigrant over an American citizen unless the immigrant works harder. So you're saying you'd rather be unemployed and have someone here illegally working in a job you can't take? Says a lot about you parasites.

PS you are still spouting your opinion that deflation will will as though it were fact. Link? Proof? Any experience in the real world, in a real economy, where this happened?

Huh let's see. The Great Depression hits in the U.S., minimum wage is introduced, inflation skyrockets. Is that a good enough real world example?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wikipedia says:

As a labor market analogue of political-economic protectionism, it excludes low cost competitors from labor markets, hampers firms in reducing wage costs during trade downturns, generates various industrial-economic inefficiencies as well as unemployment, poverty, and price rises, and generally dysfunctions.

Hurts small business more than large business.

Reduces quantity demanded of workers, either through a reduction in the number of hours worked by individuals, or through a reduction in the number of jobs.

May cause price inflation as businesses try to compensate by raising the prices of the goods being sold.

Benefits some workers at the expense of the poorest and least productive.

Can result in the exclusion of certain groups from the labor force.

Is less effective than other methods (e.g. the Earned Income Tax Credit) at reducing poverty, and is more damaging to businesses than those other methods.

Discourages further education among the poor by enticing people to enter the job market.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can check their citations yourself. The only people who gain anything from minimum wage are big corporations. It's the small businesses and unskilled workers who have to suffer so that the corporations can get richer.

reply to post by aching_knuckles

Sources for my inflation claim.

www.heritage.org...
mises.org...

Edit: The second link especially is good, and more recent.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join