It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repeal minimum wage says the Grouch

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

But how can a person start a business with NO money? I actually registed a name for my business which is life coaching. I went to all the free places and even set up a free web site yet no one called me. I have 0 money to put into to that is why it has not worked.

Respectfully, there is a seeming contradiction in your chosen profession and your lamentations. As a life coach, I would hope you are not coaching others to accept their lot in life as a minimum wage earner.

Just because there seems to be a contradiction in your lamentations and your profession, this doesn't mean there is, and I am going to assume you are the best of the best at life coaching.

With that assumption, I would suggest you keep trying and build up a clientele who will refer you to others. One client at a time, you keep trying until you're finally at the point where you can longer take on clients because your booked.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

reply to post by Nosred

So would rents and mortagages go down as well. A person can't make $800 a month yet still be expected to pay $800 a month in rent. It really only works out if utlity prices, food, rent and gas prices go down. What about social security and disablity would those benfits be cut down to like $300 per month? Repealing the minuim wage to me sounds like the begginning of an uprising to me.

Like I said already, inflation would go down. Remember the good ol' days before minimum wage where you could buy a loaf of bread with your pocket change?

I don't I am not that old. lol. Minimum wage has been around since I have been alive.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I did try a lot I even had a blog talk radio show. I creatively advertised for free and helped people for free hoping they would refer people to me. I do coaching/consulting through another company as a sub contractor now I am pretty good at what I do but I just don't have the money for the advertising so I am looking for better jobs so I can make some money. I am not saying people should aspire to minuim wage. Should we ask people to aspire to a lower wage then? Minuim wage is not a living wage either but $3 is an hour is immpossible. There are not any landlords who would rent to someone making $3 an hour unless they are getting section 8 of course.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Minimum wage laws violate the rights of both the employer and the employee - that is, they violate the rights of the employer and the employee to reach an agreement based on their own judgement of what's in their best interests. Employers have a right to set wages at a price they're willing to pay. People who want to work have a right to work for low wages, either because they're unskilled and inexperienced or because they'd rather have a low paying job than no job at all.

Do you really think a single mother with no job who is struggling to keep food on the table really gives a piss how much she's getting payed? Don't you think she'd rather being making just a little bit of money than no money at all?
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

But would the prices match up with the wages? If I make $500 per month would my rent be like $100 and my utlities $30? Would I pay 25 cents for a loaf of bread or 20 cents for a gallon of gas. If it balances out to the same as now how is that helping anyone? If it balances out more evenly with wages then it would make more sense.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I did try a lot I even had a blog talk radio show. I creatively advertised for free and helped people for free hoping they would refer people to me. I do coaching/consulting through another company as a sub contractor now I am pretty good at what I do but I just don't have the money for the advertising so I am looking for better jobs so I can make some money. I am not saying people should aspire to minuim wage. Should we ask people to aspire to a lower wage then? Minuim wage is not a living wage either but $3 is an hour is immpossible. There are not any landlords who would rent to someone making $3 an hour unless they are getting section 8 of course.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but what I just quoted above should not in anyway be used as advertisement for your life coaching business.

If life coaching is genuinely what you want to do with your life, then you will keep at it until you've succeeded, won't you?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Nosred

But would the prices match up with the wages? If I make $500 per month would my rent be like $100 and my utlities $30? Would I pay 25 cents for a loaf of bread or 20 cents for a gallon of gas. If it balances out to the same as now how is that helping anyone?

By allowing employers to hire more people. Let me tell you, a lot of unemployed people out there would rather be making hardly anything than making nothing at all.

Edit:

he artificially high wages forced on the economy by compulsory unionism imposed economic hardships on other groups—particularly on non-union workers and on unskilled labor, which was being squeezed gradually out of the market. Today’s widespread unemployment is the result of organized labor’s privileges and of allied measures, such as minimum wage laws. For years, the unions supported these measures and sundry welfare legislation, apparently in the belief that the costs would be paid by taxes imposed on the rich. The growth of inflation has shown that the major victim of government spending and of taxation is the middle class. Organized labor is part of the middle class—and the actual value of labor’s forced “social gains” is now being wiped out.

- Ayn Rand

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

But how can a person start a business with NO money? I actually registed a name for my business which is life coaching. I went to all the free places and even set up a free web site yet no one called me. I have 0 money to put into to that is why it has not worked.

I have two words for you to help you in your business............social networking

Put your www. site in you signature box. Make a youtube video with lots of tags and links. Hang out in bars where rich people drink and network. Twitter, linkden, etc.

I painted a sign on the back of my van with my ph# and got a LOT of calls for my business.

Don't give up! And always remember....It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!!! Especially in America!!
I know a lot of very smart people working **** jobs that do nothing but whine about how unfair everything is...
edit on 1-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Like I said already, inflation would go down. Remember the good ol' days before minimum wage where you could buy a loaf of bread with your pocket change?

Prove this statement please.

You cannot. You are just spouting your opinion as though it were fact. It is your version of some utopian ideal that could never exist in the real world. you are naive as the liberal who wants to give everyone free housing and food.

Most corporations are producing profit EVERY quarter...why do they need to pay workers less?

link   
reply to post by Nosred

Honestly I think a woman would rather take welfare if she is not guarnteed a certian wage. After all if she can't afford day care then she would rather stay home with her kids. I don't see any adult wanting to work for $3 an hour or worse $3 a day! I refused to do it so I was laid off from one of my sub contracting jobs. I want to aspire to a better wage then when I was a child. I made $3 per hour babysitting at 12! That did not go too far back in the 1980s and it won't go very far in 2011!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Of course I will keep at it until I succeed and I wasn't trying to come across adverstising my life coaching business at all. I just was trying to illustrate my point that a person can do all the rights things and nothing happens.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I do not understand the mindset of these people who want to help the corporations tighten their stranglehold on us. Why would you fight against more corporate taxes, higher wages for all workers, all safeguards for the common worker?

As for the guy complaining about losing all his overtime pay to taxes: its a free market. go find another job where you will work less hours for the same pay. Its so easy to get skills, right? You can work hard and manage. No one is holding a gun to your head to work 80 hour weeks for only 100 grand.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Nosred

Honestly I think a woman would rather take welfare if she is not guarnteed a certian wage.

Where do you think that welfare money comes from? Oh, right. The people working for minimum wage. Hmm, so we can either have one employed person contributing to society and working for minimum wage paying off an unemployed person, or two employed people contributing to society each making slightly less money. Decisions, decisions.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Some have said the prices would go down, but we have to consider how much the inputs cost, if they remain the same and/or studily increase the prices still would not go down on the finished product. Take for instance wheat, wheat farmers are already paid by bread companies a certain amount for the wheat to make bread the cost of making that bread is decreasing due to offering lower wages, however you can't expect the farmer who is selling his wheat at 10 dollars a bale to take a decrease in revenue from the bread company because wheat has been selling for ten dollars a bale for the past twenty years that farmer has his own land and does the production and harvesting and he pays land taxes and they won't go down at least not immediately, so he will not be very much inclined to sell that bale of wheat for 5 dollars (these are abitrary numbers I care not look up the actual figures it's just numbers used as an example). So saying all that I am not inclined to think the prices would fall, not all that much in the long run. This can be applied to oil electricity,etc. Especially to oil as it is becoming every day much more difficult to find and obtain and costs lots of money to drill new wells, etc, and beleive me the oil field owners and the companies will not want to take a big cut in the price of their "Resource". Just my two cents.
edit on 1-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: oops

edit on 1-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: oops

edit on 1-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

People who are on unemployment get at least $800 per month which is about $5 per hour. People would only want to get off of unemployment for HIGHER pay. With the greed and corruption in our current system I doubt prices will go down in fact they might even go up. Minium wage is about protecting the worker so they can have enough money to live on. If anything minuim wage needs to go up and prices stablize.
edit on 1-8-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Most corporations are producing profit EVERY quarter...why do they need to pay workers less?

To hire more workers. You know this isn't about just corporations, this is about the small business owners. You are denying the small business owners the right to hire people at a price they think is fair so they can still earn enough profit to support themselves. The big corporations make enough profit to pay people's wages no matter what minimum wage is, it's the small business owners who get hurt in all this. Minimum wage only supports big corporations by crushing their small business competitors.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I really don't think prices will go down either. I have never heard in price decreases with utlities or other things. Repealing the minuim wage will only take away more from the average person.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well OP, it will certainly end illegal immigration. Repealing the minimum wage would be fatal.

It is illegal to be homeless. How will folks make it! They won't. We are such a sad capitalistic pig world. I've been considering moving to Mexico. I hear they have less unemployment than the U.S.

The more I know, the less I want to know. We are going to be Zimbabwe country very shortly. Ron Paul is so right. We will default. We will become a third world country eventually.

I can only pray at this point. There is no conspiracy here. It is the truth.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Lets face it, Nosred is just a horrible person with limited understanding of economics.

P.S. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Yeah, I went biblical on you mothaflippas. Matthew 25:31-46 and I'm not even Christian. Try and be a better person.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

It is illegal to be homeless? In what area? Wow that is just wrong because people do not want to be homeless.
Zimbawbee had inflation of over a million percent and they got very low wages. You can still have high inflation and low wages.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join