It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repeal minimum wage says the Grouch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3de942ba1b7f.png[/atsimg]

Please don't hurt me.
Throwing old fruit and vegetables is A-Ok though

I just think it's time to look at this issue again.
Maybe even the child labor laws.
A lot of young people I know
_want_ to work!

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

38 year old male and yes sometimes i do have to work 36 hours straight because i'm paid to do a job and until its done i'm costing the client 10k an hour. Ive been doing it for over 15 years and ill do it up into my 60's. The gulf has no problem hiring people that are older. As a matter of fact im working on a shrimp boat trawling for debris and the company rep is 68 years old. Now they dont expect me to swing a hammer because the more experience you earn out here the less physical your job becomes but you are expected to use your brain more and take on more responsibility.

I think its funny how liberals bash the evil oil companies but what other field can a man make 300 to 1200 dollars a day without a degree.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Do economists discuss how this would affect inflation/deflation in respect to loans? Is there an economic outlook for the price of general goods? (like food oil etc) Would the prices go down or will they still continue to rise? Does anybody know?

Because I could be for this if in say 3 years I could buy a home for like $25,000 instead of $250,000.
edit on 1-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: mssing a zero

I'm sure they do. I'm not an economist, nor do I play one on TV. Nor have I researched that.

That being said, we all saw what happened when the housing market was artificially inflated thanks to government intervention in the loans process.

I can only speak to what feels like common sense to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864
reply to post by ldyserenity

38 year old male and yes sometimes i do have to work 36 hours straight because i'm paid to do a job and until its done i'm costing the client 10k an hour. Ive been doing it for over 15 years and ill do it up into my 60's. The gulf has no problem hiring people that are older. As a matter of fact im working on a shrimp boat trawling for debris and the company rep is 68 years old. Now they dont expect me to swing a hammer because the more experience you earn out here the less physical your job becomes but you are expected to use your brain more and take on more responsibility.

I think its funny how liberals bash the evil oil companies but what other field can a man make 300 to 1200 dollars a day without a degree.

:-) And you are making my point about minimum wage possibly not being necessary. You are willing to do hard work that many others might not be willing to do. AND you are well compensated for it accordingly. You don't have to work for minimum wage because at that rate, people wouldn't do it.

I'm a teacher, and I'll admit that I'm paid pretty well, especially for a job I love. We just had 2500 applicants in my county for 55 job openings. It's BECAUSE we are paid well that people want to do the job.
edit on 1-8-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: add word

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
well, since mexicans are going back to mexico, don't worry david, you can come mow my lawn and I'll pay you $3 an hour

Ohhhh!
A job offer!
This is negotiable right?

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I dont think the solution is more hand outs to the lazy or the rich. I think we need to find our own salvation because its sure as hell isnt going to come from the demoncraps or the republicrooks. Ive been thinking about forming a co-op company in the future doing what i do now but the difference is it will be owned by the employees. If the employees owned the company then money can be handed out in a fairer manner that makes everyone happy. Why should some rich # make millions a year off of my work when im the one that has the special skill set and he doesnt.

We used to be a good company until it went incorporated and got a board of directors. Now everyone in the offshore department is pissed because we took the hair cut while they take in the lions share. We had a meeting this year where we were informed that our devision pulled in 70% of the profit and in the same breath we were told we were worthless pieces of crap. After that meeting our small salary was removed and we had to enjoy 4 months with no work.

Next year i think im going to stage a little revolt and talk everyone of our guys into walking out and quiting just so the vip will get fired. No reason not to do it when i can go contract making 200+ more a day.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Still prevalent, 70 years after the fact, and something that people are going to realize in the U.S. when martial law hits

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
Horrible idea is horrible...

This would put so many people in ruin it's not even funny.

How are these businesses you speak of going to sell goods when nobody has enough money to purchase them?

I live in Los Angeles. People working for minimum wage in Los Angeles are all ready in ruin, I assure you. One making less than $50k a year in Los Angeles isn't coming close to surviving. Hell, I would guess even everywhere else, if someone is working for minimum wage, they are in ruin.

The State of Washington has the highest minimum wage at $8.67/hour. The states of Georgia and Wyoming have the lowest minimum wage ($5.15) of the 45 states that have a minimum wage requirement.

www.dol.gov...

This means that if you live in the State of Washington, based upon a 40 hour work week, you are making $346.80 a week.

Washington State, one of the more expensive places to live in the northwest is currently 3% above the national average in overall cost of living. The evergreen state does in fact have a 6.5% sales tax which naturally drives their cost of living upward.

www.costoflivingbystate.org...

Looking to buy a house in Washington? Compared to other northwest states Washington has a higher median housing cost which is $419,900. This is the average cost of a home in the Sea-Tac area. The average median income state wide is $52,000 which is below the average house hold income of $56,000 per year. This actually makes Washington a very affordable place to live if you are in a higher income bracket. Electricity is very affordable in Washington. Recent advances in cost efficient alternative energy have made Washington one of the most affordable. Gas prices are pretty consistent with other cities with in the great northwest at $2.75 average a gallon. Apartment rent varies depending on where you live. If you are looking to live in Seattle try the surround suburbs instead on the inner city. Rent is significantly cheaper across the border and commuting from place to place comes with less of a headache. Average rent for the area is $860.00. Overall Washington has a great economy and high paying jobs. The ratio between income and cost of living is very good. This makes Washington state a great place to live.

So, if you are working in Seattle at a minimum wage job, you cannot reasonably afford to live in Seattle, but the area surrounding Seattle has a rent average of $860 a month.

Hmmm, let's see here. $346.80 a week amounts to $1387.20 a month. So, subtract roughly $860 for rent, and you have a whopping $572.20 remaining. Woo-hoo! Far from ruin, wouldn't you say?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Try living in NYC with minimum wage, it's basically impossible. If you make minimum wage you are technically approved for government assistance. So how will eliminating minimum wage help if the wages paid are potentially less? More welfare state and more government subsidizing business. Who wins in that arrangement? It isn't the workers, nor is it the government.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I always had room mates when i worked for minimum wage and never asked for a penny that i didnt earn. I dont see whats so bad about it other than being poor. I did it until i developed a skill set to make more money. I went through some tough times but i learned from it and built upon it. Im not rich but i do provide for my family which is my resonsibility and no one elses BTW.
edit on 1-8-2011 by jkm1864 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This will increase more need for government assistance. People won't be able to get a second job because there isn't enough for everyone one to have one. Now if they want to lower the cost of living or base our bills of our income then repealing the minium wage would work but not now it is the worst time for this. People should be protected from big companies and businesses. I do sub contracting work and used to make $12-$20 per hour suddenly business slowed and my pay went to down to $10 then $8 then $6 and finally $3 per hour. I disagreed with the company so then they let me go. We will see a lot more of this type of pay were they will lure you in with a high pay and then drop it over a years time.
By they way if someone has $570 left over after rent they have other bills still to pay. They have to pay utlities which is about $200 per month which now it takes the total to $370; then a person needs groceries which about $200 per month, gas in the car $70 per month so now there is only $100 month left over for car insurance and incidentals. That is pretty desitute to me when a person would not be able to save any money.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I always had room mates when i worked for minimum wage and never asked for a penny that i didnt earn. I dont see whats so bad about it. I assure you if i can do it so can other people out there especially the ones that expect other people out there to work for free just so they can sit on their bumms.

If you aspire to be a minimum wage employee and live with roommates all your life, more power to you sport! Whatever floats your boat.

The New American Dream: Minimum wage earners proudly share their experience and wisdom and tell us all how easy life is working for minimum wage. What a dream. What a wonderful dream.

For those who find such a scenario a nightmare, chances are they have no interest in even being an employee at all, and would rather start their own business. God knows they won't be investing their own money in that business working for minimum wage. The people who dream bigger than you are then compelled to make more than minimum wage. Maybe that strikes you as nightmarish, actually making more than minimum wage and living in your own home and supporting your own family, but for many that is the American Dream, not working for minimum wage and castigating people who are less than impressed with what that amount brings.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

This will increase more need for government assistance.

Or, maybe...just maybe...it will inspire people to start their own businesses, and maybe even inspire them to realize that government has no damned business intruding in peoples business. Upon this realization, people will then pull out of the entropic system all together and start operating in a free and open market place where they tell arrogant regulators to kiss their bums and back the hell off...unless those government regulators came to them to spend money as a customer, then they can tell them to mind their own business and thank them for their patronage.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I make a 6 figure income dip # and i work enough hours for two jobs... So why dont you read the whole thread sometime.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Min wage should be repealed. Forcing companies to pay a livable wage is BS. The people will be even happier working 18 or more hours 7 days a week to be able to survive.

Yeah because people never managed to survive before minimum wage was around.

At least people had jobs then. You can either make a little bit of money or nothing at all, your choice.

Edit: Also inflation would go down. By paying people higher wages companies have to charge more for their products and services, meaning the workers can buy less with their money.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

But how can a person start a business with NO money? I actually registed a name for my business which is life coaching. I went to all the free places and even set up a free web site yet no one called me. I have 0 money to put into to that is why it has not worked.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I make a 6 figure income dip # and i work enough hours for two jobs... So why dont you read the whole thread sometime.

You make a six figure income but are selling others on the joys of minimum wage living. Hmmmmm. How thoughtful and kindly of you. I suppose you think the whole world is populated with dip...how did you put that? No doubt there are plenty of fools who would stupidly work for you, but do not even pretend to think you are some kind of saint for singing the praises of minimum wage living, sport.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

But how can a person start a business with NO money? I actually registed a name for my business which is life coaching. I went to all the free places and even set up a free web site yet no one called me. I have 0 money to put into to that is why it has not worked.

Get a job. Save money instead of buying stupid crap. Start business.

Edit: It's kind of a shame that thriftiness is looked down upon in American society these days.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

So would rents and mortagages go down as well. A person can't make $800 a month yet still be expected to pay $800 a month in rent. It really only works out if utlity prices, food, rent and gas prices go down. What about social security and disablity would those benfits be cut down to like $300 per month? Repealing the minuim wage to me sounds like the begginning of an uprising to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Nosred

So would rents and mortagages go down as well. A person can't make $800 a month yet still be expected to pay $800 a month in rent. It really only works out if utlity prices, food, rent and gas prices go down. What about social security and disablity would those benfits be cut down to like $300 per month? Repealing the minuim wage to me sounds like the begginning of an uprising to me.

Like I said already, inflation would go down. Remember the good ol' days before minimum wage where you could buy a loaf of bread with your pocket change?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join