It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A friend of mine has been acting very strangely, any ideas?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

One less crappy rapper.

Wish most of them would do this so we could have the music industry back.

Good luck to him I say.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by h_jordan

He is about to convert and I believe he's already changing his name or has done so. He's a white guy from new zealand.

Thanks for the advice, I think the core of most religions are great morally, it's just when people misinterpret the teachings that it gets worrying

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hmmm, could of had a bad "trip" while listening to some rap, or watching a rap vid under the influence of an expanded consciousness. He could have watched one of those Illuminati in rap music vids. Or he had a personal epiphany as a result of shedding skin as he grows older.
Maybe remind him that art can be an expression of divinity, kindness and love as well as hard, dark and vitriol.
We are but conduits of energy, but we still have control to some degree, as to what we allow flow through us.

peace,
spec

ETA: Missed the religion reference, my bad...
edit on 31-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
We are at a critical moment in human history. Many people are waking up. Some are only waking into another delusion. Jesus Christ is the only way. He calls you to righteousness and truth. You can remain dead in sin if that is your choice.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Wow that's really full on. Must have been very disillusioning I imagine. Thanks heaps for sharing the story.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

Me personally? Not a hip hop/rap fan, I sing in a rock and roll band and am a blues purist, so I know what you're saying bro

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
Yeah totally, I am completely supportive either way and have told him this, I just feel that it's all very irrational and maybe shouldnt be rushed into you know, I'd also like to understand it a bit better....

...i've never had an inclination towards any religion but i do know what it feels like to find something "special" that encouraged me to change my life for the better... a few times that "special" didnt work out like i thought it would but, still, the experience itself was rewarding - and - that might turn out to be case with your friend...

...does he already have a passport?... does he have to get permission from iran to visit?... how long can he stay?... does he know the language?... does he understand cultural mores?... his answers might help you determine if his plan is based in common sense or wishful thinking...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I was kinda thinking that maybe he was just over exposed to the negativity in the music he listened over an extended period and just flipped, having a very serious reaction to it, because to be honest, its horrible. If i listened to angry rappers telling me how much richer and more gangster they are than me, all while degrading women and being completely homophobic I'd probably flip out too. ENOUGH!!!!

Cheers for the response man

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
I will only debate them if they try to convert me. Otherwise, as said.. just let them do their thing. As I like to say.. you wanna be Batman, be Batman. Whatever works for you.

You know I was REALLY hoping you were going to post this picture...

Batman arrested in Michigan

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am Pagan, and wish more people were,,, but my advice is to give him some literature on the Sufi.
As it came from Islam, and is of more of a mystical bent with music and dance an important part of worship.

The Drowned Book,
about Rumi's Father is also worth getting to give to your friend. Maybe you can not change his religion,, but the tone by introducing him to another component of said religion.

My sister married a Muslim from the Middle East,, lived there for over 12 years as a strict muslim woman. It did its damage in many ways,,, to her, her children, etc. She got out,,, like in the Movie,, Not Without my Daughter,,, was there during both wars,,, not a good thing I promise.

Today, we are still dealing with the "Magical" dark underbelly of this religion. I could tell you things that would make your head spin. Leave it to say,,, there is some Dark JuJu out in those deserts,,, and somethings should not be Imported out of said environments. There definitely is some deep Spiritual Issues coming to a Head for Humanity... Hopefully those of us who see a Bigger and Broader picture will win out.

Otherwise Humanity is doomed to repeat the Dark Ages of the Past.

anyway,,, I really suggest you turn your friend onto the Drowned Book.... and Rumi in general,, some good stuff in the bowels of the Cesspool of Religion.

Good Luck

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Yeah totally, I am completely supportive either way and have told him this, I just feel that it's all very irrational and maybe shouldnt be rushed into you know, I'd also like to understand it a bit better....

...i've never had an inclination towards any religion but i do know what it feels like to find something "special" that encouraged me to change my life for the better... a few times that "special" didnt work out like i thought it would but, still, the experience itself was rewarding - and - that might turn out to be case with your friend...

...does he already have a passport?... does he have to get permission from iran to visit?... how long can he stay?... does he know the language?... does he understand cultural mores?... his answers might help you determine if his plan is based in common sense or wishful thinking...

I don't think you need permission, a visa of course but I don't think it's hard. He has the passport and the cash. He says he would go for a couple of years, I don't know if thats possible though....Doesnt know the language but he says a big part of going would be to learn it, although he'd have to have some basic arabic to be accepted anywhere and is apparently working on this.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by geraldcole

The irony is, I'm not joking. You wanna be Batman, be Batman. Whatever works for you.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Does anyone know someone who something similar has happened to? I just can't get my head around his thought process. What do you guys think about it? I've been stumped.
edit on 31-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

Have you thought about asking him? I mean really asking why he's changed and trying to get a straight
answer from him. All you will get in this thread is speculation!

Also "not really into drugs" doesn't mean anything...so he does drugs sometimes and at other times doesn't?

Does he eat weird food, drink strange liquids, wear funny clothes, talk funny? Why don't YOU ask HIM becuase all I will say is "gee, I don't know...."

reply to post by h_jordan

He is about to convert and I believe he's already changing his name or has done so. He's a white guy from new zealand.

Trillion is older than 28!

edit on 31-7-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

Hey that's really good advice! Thanks so much for that, I definitely will do that. Cheers!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Doesnt know the language but he says a big part of going would be to learn it, although he'd have to have some basic arabic to be accepted anywhere and is apparently working on this.

...total immersion is one way to go about it... some people find its the quickest way... i think its purty dang intimidating but, then, the dialect folks speak in boston befuddles me...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I was kinda thinking that maybe he was just over exposed to the negativity in the music he listened over an extended period and just flipped, having a very serious reaction to it, because to be honest, its horrible. If i listened to angry rappers telling me how much richer and more gangster they are than me, all while degrading women and being completely homophobic I'd probably flip out too. ENOUGH!!!!

I could see where that could get old. I listen to a variety of music, and some of it could be viewed as being negative, yet I receive a positive release by listening to it. I'm also a musician, and I enjoy playing both happy/angry music. Both give me equal feelings of release and pleasure. Then again, I'm not chanting vocal negativity, mantra-like, over and over. I could see where that might cause some issues.

For some reason though, I'm doubting rap led him to Islam. Some deeper stuff going on there maybe.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

You see I have asked him, and all he can say is that its the way to heaven and that he can't do art anymore because it's the devil. All he can really tell me is that music is the devil and that the only way for him to make it to heaven is to live by islamic law.

I meant that I am sure he has taken a couple of illegal things in his time, although he is not someone who uses them more than once every couple of years.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So he can't give you any reasons or tell you what prompted him to make these life-changing decisions? Yeah, the drugs issue was because he's a Kiwi...we all know what goes on here

Is there any work he's done previously that we might watch to see if there are any clues?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

he can't do art anymore because it's the devil.

Food for thought: Islamic Art
Islamic Rappers J5 yo!

edit on 31-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusLives
We are at a critical moment in human history. Many people are waking up. Some are only waking into another delusion. Jesus Christ is the only way. He calls you to righteousness and truth. You can remain dead in sin if that is your choice.

lol THAT'S the delusion!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join