It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obscenity Law is Broken where Low Hangers are Concerned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Obscenity Law is Broken where Low Hangers are Concerned

www.examiner.com

Imagine telling your boss you have to take a day off of work to be on jury duty, and when asked what the case is about you tell your boss that you have to decide if a woman should be found guilty of an obscenity law for having had red plastic testicles hanging from the trailer hitch of her pick-up truck.

If you live in Berkeley County, South Carolina, this scenario could be a reality next month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
While some small towns in the U.S. might have a problem with this, I've seen this sort of thing on the back of cars and trucks in Chicago and just laughed without a second thought.

But even though I think it might be a concern in small towns, I agree with this writing which says it's a waste of time and money for the court system to have to deal with it - especially in a jury trial situation.

Your thoughts?

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

What a waste of money!!

I live in Florida and see these "hangers" on almost every big truck on the road...I have even seen them on small compact cars which looks even funnier.

People need to stop getting so offended with what other people do. I mean does it really matter if they have balls hanging from their truck? Does it affect your life daily? No...

There are plenty of things I don't want to see in pubic but you can't tell everyone what to do. Just deal with it and move on...

People are soooo darn sensitive.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wonder if religious fundamentalists have any part in this.
2nd

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
You'd have to be wound up pretty tight to find something like these offensive. It's a fad, in a few years it'll be no different than a nekked lady on a mud flap or a spiky-haired 6-yr old pissing on something.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMessenger1

Well, they do call it the bible belt for a reason. When I lived in NC, the liquor store had a "baptist" wall. It was so the baptist could buy their liquor and not be seen. How freaking hilarious! It's time this country left their Quaker beliefs in the dust and joined the rest of the civilized world!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Obscenity

An obscenity is any statement or act which strongly offends the prevalent morality of the time, is a profanity, or is otherwise taboo, indecent, abhorrent, or disgusting, or is especially inauspicious. The term is also applied to an object that incorporates such a statement or displays such an act.

In a legal context, the term obscenity is most often used to describe expressions (words, images, actions) of an explicitly sexual nature....

Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart famously said: "I know it when I see it." which, albeit someone vaguely, offers the justification for the idea of categorizing something as offensive. Are there obscene things in the world? If so, should others be allowed to force anyone to face those obscenities because it amuses them?

This smacks of one of those social issues where many say, "You have no right to not be offended" ..... which is often thrown about until the speaker of the sentiment is offended him or herself, ... at which point it becomes "different."

I suppose seeing both sides of the case doesn't make it any easier to resolve... except... what is the point of hanging testicles from your vehicle... on a public road?

Is this a matter for the courts? Yes,.... but only once.

edit on 29-7-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It's in bad taste, but it should not be illegal.

It can be a distraction for people who don't see that often, safety first kids...jokes later.
edit on 29-7-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Freedom of speech is the issue it means "I have balls" Simple case really. I really think they are stupid but if gay guys can walk around with their pants down while looking for love.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Obscenity

An obscenity is any statement or act which strongly offends the prevalent morality of the time, is a profanity, or is otherwise taboo, indecent, abhorrent, or disgusting, or is especially inauspicious. The term is also applied to an object that incorporates such a statement or displays such an act.

In a legal context, the term obscenity is most often used to describe expressions (words, images, actions) of an explicitly sexual nature....

Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart famously said: "I know it when I see it." which, albeit someone vaguely, offers the justification for the idea of categorizing something as offensive. Are there obscene things in the world? If so, should others be allowed to force anyone to face those obscenities because it amuses them?

This smacks of one of those social issues where many say, "You have no right to not be offended" ..... which is often thrown about until the speaker of the sentiment is offended him or herself, ... at which point it becomes "different."

I suppose seeing both sides of the case doesn't make it any easier to resolve... except... what is the point of hanging testicles from your vehicle... on a public road?

Is this a matter for the courts? Yes,.... but only once.

edit on 29-7-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

america's obscenity laws are draconian.

Come on let's get over this.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
put a jock.strap over them problem solved i find violence obscene now what?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It will play out. A local yokel parked his jacked up truck with the low hangers on it in a church parking lot on a Sunday morning to annoy the old ladies and had his truck castrated by one of the parishoners. Everyone laughed but him.
The person charged has no others so she hung these on her truck as a statement of some sort, needing attention. The DA needs to appear to be doing his job and gave her the attention she desired.
Maybe he is going after "low hanging fruit."

edit on 7/29/2011 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Why in that case aren't the multinationals brought under the same obscenity laws for having politicians testicles hung on their boardroom walls????

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So this is what they do in America now? Tax small people for even more outrageous reasons? Wow as I have said in all my posts. WAKE UP! I dont understand how people arent standing up to this. I would be outside my MP's office by myself if they tried to enact such childish laws over here in Ca. Americans talk too much. They need to do soemthing before your no allowed to tint your windows because it scares people and drug dealers tint thier windows! Ill admit we dont do much over here in terms of protesting, even then there is the few of us who care about what goes on and are willing to do something about it. So where are these americans?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This thread is relevent to my interests. I have seen these things on the road and they are funny. Its a gag giggic thing, if it offends you then you need to reevaluate your emotional ties to genitalia. Thats my two cents.

These are actually meant to be BULLS balls not people balls. LOL.

See link

www.bullsballs.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mindseye21

Sitting in the living room, counting welfare money and eating cheetos! Too goddam lazy to do anything that might threaten their government income!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Well, they do call it the bible belt for a reason. When I lived in NC, the liquor store had a "baptist" wall. It was so the baptist could buy their liquor and not be seen. How freaking hilarious! It's time this country left their Quaker beliefs in the dust and joined the rest of the civilized world!

That might not be the best "broad-brush" to paint them with. I am not a Quaker but as I understand it they are known for being quite diverse and some very "liberal" as the term applies to christians.

en.wikipedia.org...

The theological beliefs of different Yearly Meetings vary considerably, ranging from evangelical Christianity to universalist and new thought beliefs. In addition, there is wide variation a meetings' acceptance of dissent expressed by individuals and local constituencies....

There is often a very wide variety of theological belief in these yearly meetings, with meetings often having a large proportion of liberal Christians and universalist Christians some of whom trust in the guidance of the inward Christ or inner light, with some non-theists, agnostics, and atheists, as well as some who are also members of other religions, although even amongst liberal yearly meetings this can be controversial. Common ideas among members of these liberal yearly meetings include a belief of "that of God in everyone", and shared values, such as to peace, equality and simplicity....

One of their most radical innovations was a greater, nearly equal, role for women, as Taylor (2001) shows. Despite the survival of strong patriarchal elements, Friends believed in the spiritual equality of women, who were allowed to take a far more active role than had ordinarily existed before the emergence of radical civil war sects.

Perhaps it might be more accurate to have said to leave their "Cracker" beliefs in the dust.

top topics

join