It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One step closer to martial law- Monitor new bills in congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
HR324

Take a look and contact your congressman.
edit on 28-7-2011 by bozotheclown because: more interesting title

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bozotheclown

A bil to allow dod personnel to arrest civilians

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bozotheclown

The purpose of the military is not to police US civilians. It is to fight wars against foreigners preferably on foreign soil. Allowing DOD personnel to arrest civilians is a slippery slope to using the US military against civilians.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Don't we have enough police, sherrifs, state police already?

Now we have DOD law enforcement..

Overkill!!!

Edit to add: This smells fishy!
edit on 28-7-2011 by Cygnis because: ETA above comment

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
S&F OP

This is the kinda thing we all have to be on the lookout for. While the news shows the financial issues, you have to search to find out how they're preparing for this potential financial meltdown. They're trying to sign on more people with the authority to arrest US. That's CRAZY...

Write letters, make phone calls. This can't pass.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It would be nice to have a bit of context and insight by the OP, but I guess others can do their work for them.

U.S.C Title 10, Chapter 81 U.S.C Title 10, Section 81 deals with civilian employees.

The bill that was introduced, as sourced by the OP wished to amend section 1585b. It would add the following [if passed]:

"Sec. 1585b. Law enforcement officers of the Department of Defense: authority to execute warrants, make arrests, and carry firearms"

The bill continues on to define terms (as all bills do.)

Who is to have this authority:
"...any law enforcement officer of the Department of Defense" in which their duties include

1: "enforcing laws enacted for the protection of persons and property;"
2: "preventing breaches of the peace and suppressing affrays or unlawful assemblies;"
3: "conducting, supervising, or coordinating investigations of criminal activity in programs and operations of the Department of Defense; or"
4: "enforcing any rules or regulations with respect to Department of Defense property prescribed by duly authorized officials."

What is considered "law enforcement":

In this section, the term ‘law enforcement officer of the Department of Defense’ means a civilian employee of the Department of Defense who is any of the following:

‘(1) A Federal police officer or detective as classified by the Office of Personnel Management Occupational Series 0083 (or any successor to that series).

‘(2) A game law enforcement officer or special agent as classified by the Office of Personnel Management Occupational Series 1812 (or any successor to that series).

‘(3) A criminal investigator as classified by the Office of Personnel Management Occupational Series 1811 (or any successor to that series) and not employed as a special agent of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service (or any successor to that service).’.

Job Series information via the OPM website:
1811 is defined as:

This series covers positions which supervise, lead, or perform work involving planning,
conducting, or managing investigations related to alleged or suspected criminal violations of
Federal laws.

Essentially a criminal investigator.

0083 is defined as:

This series covers positions the primary duties of which are the performance or supervision of
law enforcement work in the preservation of the peace; the prevention, detection, and
investigation of crimes; the arrest or apprehension of violators; and the provision of assistance to
citizens in emergency situations, including the protection of civil rights. The purpose of police
work is to assure compliance with Federal, State, county, and municipal laws and ordinances,
and agency rules and regulations pertaining to law enforcement work.

That sounds like an officer.

I didn't look for 0812, it seems quite evident on what it is.

Now, knowing all those facts along with the introduced bill, we can start to critically think if this is nefarious in nature or if people are just paranoid all around. To a point, I disagree with the assertion of the authority given to a multitude of personnel in police powers.

I still have to think about this some more, but at least now more people have more information to think about rather than a simple 1-line post by the OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I found this link to an officers forum in which this bill is discussed. Officer Forum

Seems like they are all in support of it, but I am still at odds with what it actually means and what powers rights are violated. Time will tell I guess.

It mentions on this forum HR327 which is attempting to redefine the meaning of Law Enforcement officer. This makes me worry more than the HR328!
edit on 29-7-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

in the words of the one that started it all"There ought to be limits to freedom"
-George W. Bush
that should say it all ZIG BUSH!!!!! for we will find you and make you talk, papers pleas!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

HR 327 is well, from your post link"See the Related Legislation page for other bills related to this one and a list of subject terms that have been applied to this bill. Sometimes the text of one bill or resolution is incorporated into another, and in those cases the original bill or resolution, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned." or as in DC speak got sent to committee and passed in to a bill that was to be passed and signed into law so it is now a law, will not know till it is use in court of law or senate hearing HR324 is still seeking backing, so safe for now, or???? up date on HR324

"See the Related Legislation page for other bills related to this one and a list of subject terms that have been applied to this bill. Sometimes the text of one bill or resolution is incorporated into another, and in those cases the original bill or resolution, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned." so it too has got the DC sweep, did it go to committee? did it die the death it deserves? Or did it get put in with an other bill and got passed in to law? both the 327 and 324 where looked up here www.govtrack.us...

edit on 29-7-2011 by bekod because: editting

edit on 29-7-2011 by bekod because: added link

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
But this is for our own good. pfft

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NecroDjinn

yes it is so is the DHS TSA pat downs er feel ups or is that downs, dipper checks? Just think, we are one step closer to the "brown shirts" dos youen haven youren brownen shirten?ZIGEN BUSHEN !!!translation... do you have your brown shirt? ZIG BUSH!!! remember the words,
We will make you talk. Do you have papers? papers pleas! I will ask the questions. Where are you going? Stop or i will Tazer you, or shoot you! You have no rights. You do not have the right to remain silent nor do you have the right to an lawyer. You will be held indefinitely with out trial. and lastly; The road to the FEMA camp is... and , Your next stop and home is camp Gitmo.

edit on 29-7-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

It looks like HR324 has just picked up some co-sponsors in July 2011. If you click under the face of the sponsor then it shows the names and dates of the 10 co-sponsorsHR324

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
RAND

If anyone really wants to know what this is really all about and to peer all the way down the rabbit hole on this one, here you go. Creating the US SPF. It looks like the civilian and hybrid option has been tossed in favor of an DoA/contractor option.

A Stability Police Force for the United States- Justification and Options for Creating U.S. Capabilities
The ability of SPF personnel to act in a law enforcement capacity while in the United States depends on whether its members can perform law enforcement functions and so contribute to domestic tranquility and homeland defense. Two categories of options—military units and contractors—cannot do so under current statutes and regulations. Relief from the Posse Comitatus Act would be required to permit its members to perform domestic law enforcement functions.

The Posse Comitatus Act would prevent members of the MP SPF option from engaging in executive
functions within the United States. While MPs could be useful in providing assistance in response to natural and manmade disasters such as hurricanes, floods, or riots, they could not be used as flexibly within U.S. borders as a force based within a civilian agency unless it was given relief from the strictures of the Posse Comitatus Act.

edit on 29-7-2011 by METACOMET because: fxlnk

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wow. The U.S. has enough police officers to choke a horse already. Seriously. The last thing we need is the establishment of new law enforcement agencies, especially those affiliated with the federal government.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
As I have said on other threads......our days are numbered and too few are awake........

Last actions on this bill

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
one step closer to us all being in the same system. yes sir, we will all be police officers by the end of it LOL

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
From the game commission point of view, it is over due.For investigating illegal shootings and animal parts trafficing.
From what I see it is designed to aid against poachers. Most hunters will see what I'm speaking about.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I understand that from the point of view of any law enforcement office having more authority will make their job easier. The difficulty is in balancing that authority with civilan rights and maintaining a separation between DOD and civilian positions.

top topics

join