It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Way to Prevent Hurricanes and Tornados?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
(just thinking out loud online)

Do we have the ability to DIRECT the trajectory of bomb blasts? I mean does the world’s great military branches have the ability to ensure the blast goes in one direction and not another? Can force be manipulated?

I don’t know?

If so, it seems logical to me that a specifically-addressed explosion could be used to counteract the power of a building tornado or one already in place?

Why could we not send a missile with smart-bomb technology INTO the heart of a hurricane or tornado and ignite it with precision timing in the heart of it to disperse the energy….?.....and maybe reduce its energy (killing power)?

Is OT all “wet” here
?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Are there any military engineer on this forum with a take on this?

Certainly even if the bomb couldn't be directed would the potential to disperse it be worth it? If it were over or directly heading to large populations?

Sort of smaller loss of life as opposed to allowing its distruction?

Not sure...thoughts left brainers?

OT

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Not that I don't think its possible, but why would we want to? Its part of nature and happens for a reason. People should never have soo heavily populated the shorelines anyways. Look at all the underwater cities from the past, they are nothing but examples of what will happen in the future. I had a good laugh when someone posted photo's of marker stones in Japan warning future japanese not to build below these marker stones and to remember the tsunamis. Nobody listend and now we have all those lost lives and the worst nuclear disaster on the planet.

I do think some research has been done reguarding stalling hurricanes though.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
Not that I don't think its possible, but why would we want to? Its part of nature and happens for a reason.

Thx for the response...

Just because somethings 'natural' doesn't (to me at least) mean it's OK...gravity is natural, but we still wear harnesses when working in heights...to PREVENT falling, right?

OT

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Sure you can direct bomb blasts - put more structure on one side than the other, and much of the blast goes towards the weaker side. Also conventional explosives proceed away from the point of initiation. you can also mix and match explosives with different speeds to get directionality.

Shaped charges are an obvious case of directed explosion.

Dunno about nukes tho - and you'd really need something in the multi-megaton range to have any effect on a decent sized storm - I think the "cure" would be worse than the disease!!

According to this FAQ on USA today a decent sized hurricane has as much energy as a 10 Mt bomb going off every 20 minutes!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Thx for the response...

Just because somethings 'natural' doesn't (to me at least) mean it's OK...gravity is natural, but we still wear harnesses when working in heights...to PREVENT falling, right?

OT

I get what you are saying but hurricanes are pretty important in maintaining the proper balance of the earths climate.

A Hurricane's Purpose

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Sure you can direct bomb blasts - put more structure on one side than the other, and much of the blast goes towards the weaker side. .........

According to this FAQ on USA today a decent sized hurricane has as much energy as a 10 Mt bomb going off every 20 minutes!

OK, thx for answering my question about directed energy....

And yes hurricanes are mighty big...but what about a mile wide tornado heading to a large city at rush hour....wouldn't a targeted expolsion in the middle of it be warranted an attempt...to save tens of thousands?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Here's an old discussion about exactly this - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It would need a very big explosion, and it would need to be able to get there fast, so practically speaking the only thing that would work would be a nuclear missile from a local launch site, or possibly a MOAB on a permanently orbiting plane.

Cost would be hundreds of millions, it would be very unlikely to work, and very likely to do more damage than it would prevent.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Thx....

To me 'line of sight' would be the needed pre-requisite...so a ground launch would be preferred...

Too many cloud in the way from above...and depth to pull the trigger would be difficult to gage/see.

I dunno?

OT

new topics

top topics

join