It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Google+ insist on having your real name?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Why does Google+ insist on having your real name?

www.bbc.co.uk

Google+ took only 24 days to reach 20 million users but their decision to delete accounts without real names attached has caused anger. So why do social networks insist on your real name?

Many people choose to conceal or alter their identity online.

Over the past few days, Google has enforced its policy for requiring a real name on its new social network Google+ by suspending accounts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So just why does Google+ insist on having your real name? Just how much of your info and activities are they planning to share with the police or authroites?

Goggles explanation is :

Google says it is addressing those with genuine complaints, but it maintains that to use the network effectively, users should be able to search for a friend or a family member as quickly and as easily as possible. And that, they say, means demanding real names.

But i think there is more to it. In my opinion this really is a step to far.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Google is obviously a back door surveillance system in which people willingly give up their personal information to it. (there was a quote that the new world order would be welcomed). So obviously this is just another way for them to track YOU and not your avatar down. They are paranoid about anonymity so they will use the excuse of people creating multiple accounts to get your real information.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

If they were a real friend or family member then chances are said friend or family member would tell you the name you need to search for if they didn't use their real name.

Seems like a pretty lame excuse to be using for demanding real information.

I use my producer name on google+, just how will google know that isn't truely my name ?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
haha, I'm loving this,

What a shocker.

ATS+

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
HAHAHAHA!

I told you !

Im sorry... WE TOLD YOU.

Playing with fire when you climb into bed with Google.

But lets just keep that "Its all good" Kool-aid on tap.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Google is obviously a back door surveillance system in which people willingly give up their personal information to it. (there was a quote that the new world order would be welcomed). So obviously this is just another way for them to track YOU and not your avatar down. They are paranoid about anonymity so they will use the excuse of people creating multiple accounts to get your real information.

if they really wanted to it wouldn't be difficult to track you down.. And find out who you really are.. With one click of a button.

Maybe there are deeper issues to all this, criminals, pedophiles etc

Just saying

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Yes,Google is here to protect us, They know whats best for us, to protect us from the pedophile next door.

I hope people do realize that almost all our rights of privacy are being violated in the name of protection.

edit on 28-7-2011 by Cyanhide because: discalculie

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Well, this might have something to do with it:

ATS link

Randi Zuckerberg, Facebook’s marketing director, has a fix for cyberbullying: stop people from doing anything online without their names attached.

Disturbing? Indeed it is. Good luck to political dissidents.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What is Google+? Is it not just a more advanced search engine?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Why don't you want to not use your real name?

If you don't like your current name, get a lawyer to file the paperwork to change it and apply for new passpords/driving licenses etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
What if your name was really strange and Google+ considered it not a real name? Then what would happen?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I suppose the obvious answer - don't use it?!
That way no info will be shared because you're not on there.
Yet the speed people with which people jump on the bandwagon and embrace this new craze all so they can have another made up circle of friends who they don't really know and another distraction from the real world.

As another poster mentioned - how exactly are they establishing what your real name is? There must be some security checks in place to confirm this. I understand screennames like "hobnob" would stand out - bt if you went on as Reggie Blinker for example - who would know it wasn't your real name?!?!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Your obviously missing the point of this thread. This isn't a discussion about you having to enter your real life name.

The internet should be a safe haven for people, to act to be who'm ever they want to be,something you can't in the real world. The internet is a place to be anonymous.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

or Jimbob Jollyfingers
2nd

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by facchino

As another poster mentioned - how exactly are they establishing what your real name is? There must be some security checks in place to confirm this. I understand screennames like "hobnob" would stand out - bt if you went on as Reggie Blinker for example - who would know it wasn't your real name?!?!

When you sign up at an internet provider you need to fill in your real name etc.
on the internet there is this false assumption you can change you IP whenever you want/like ,there is software that does this,or so it says. however your real IP cant be changed, your real IP is stuck in your router. So they only need to check your IP and they have the information.

The question I still haven't figured out is how this could work in a family since its only the head of the family who's name is on the bill sort of speak

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

Your obviously missing the point of this thread. This isn't a discussion about you having to enter your real life name.

The internet should be a safe haven for people, to act to be who'm ever they want to be,something you can't in the real world. The internet is a place to be anonymous.

On a "social" site, why would you not use your real name?

There is a place for anonymity, and a place for being yourself.

I am far more paranoid than you probably are but I use my real name on Facebook, I also assume what I post is given out to whomever they wish, once I publish, I lose control of what I publish.

If you don't want someting found out, don't publish it.

edit on 28-7-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

If you are so paranoid like you say you are ( and its not contest or anything) then you wouldnt have signed up with FB in the first place

Like I said before, I wonder if people actually read threads here on ATS,how much more do people need to know how evil and f*cked up google and FaceBook is.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMessenger1

Yes there's loads
Arthur Itus
Adam Zapple
Chris Mastry
Duncan Biscett
Etc etc

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

If you are so paranoid like you say you are ( and its not contest or anything) then you wouldnt have signed up with FB in the first place

Like I said before, I wonder if people actually read threads here on ATS,how much more do people need to know how evil and f*cked up google and FaceBook is.

Yes and I resisted FB for years.. Only lately have I signed up because I need to stay in contact with distant friends.

I use it as the tool it is designed for. I do not try to abuse it for other means and do not expect anonymity on it.

I am fully aware that what I publish is out of my control once it lands on their servers, even though I have some faux control on who I share to that isn't working for facebook.

I am fully aware, and not ignorant. I use it for my own benefit and am fully consious of what I publish.

If you go onto those places expecting something else, that is the problem, not the product / service itself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join