It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Google+ insist on having your real name?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

Yes but the software you refer to is effectively a "proxy" server which basically routes all your Internet traffic to this ip address then this IP is what locates web pages and sends them back to your IP so it is possible...

The point you make about people in a house who werent going to use such a service is interesting..

Strikes me as wrong - as cant see how they can enforce people's real names without some ID check who is an impossible admin task really...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Besides creating a wonderful cybercrime
Victim List +1...

What a better way to suppress dissent eh?

How often would someone's true feelings about an issue go unsaid for fear of reprisal?

Moves like this just reek of turning back the open voices 20 years, to the time when only the TV told you what to do and think.

I find it amusing logging into my old G-mail account that they pop up a bright yellow warning telling me that they don't have a secondary or "backup" email address... you know, just in case I lose my password.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

its google almost an entitie of its own it prolly can tell typeing speed and sence hesitation . it knows when you try to give it a fake name

edit on 28-7-2011 by jplaysguitar because: google is watching be very cautions

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I stay in contact with my family by private email address, no need to join facecrap or any other weird site, I can also send snail mail if needed, or telephone, I cannot be bothered with carrier pigeons, too messy.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
No word from the mods about this?

hmm.

There must be a backroom discussion going on in the ATS underground.

shhhhh... I think I hear S.O. screaming at the FNG.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

As I have posted on the discussion over the use in the links to Google +1, We should be asking is ATS going to go down the same route as Google?

If so. I can see that causing problems

Everyone knows google's, so called privacy is crap, they keep peoples data, and pass anything suspicious along to the authorities.

I would advise not to sign up to Google +.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Anyone who trusts Google is ignorant and needs to read this:

Google Bankrolled By The CIA.

They are part of a very intelligent criminal agency.....NOT on the side of everyday people but in disguise for the purpose of information gathering and manipulation. They are big and good at what they do.

Parasites!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
ATS is big business.

Conspiracy sites are big business.

Do the math. This whole ATS google + is beyond hypocrisy.

How can you maintain the motto Deny Ignorance and add Google+
edit on 28-7-2011 by Cyanhide because: hypocrisy not hypocrisis

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

I would advise not to sign up to Google +.

Second that. I was on the BETA but have since left in protest at this ridiculous requirement. And for the record, I used my real name on Google +

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

advice taken.

trusting Google is like trusting a 2 year old not to touch anything in a Candy store.

And I think ATS messed up with this, but theres still time for them to pull out now.

Unless they think its still a good idea.

...things that make you go hmmm.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

What would you have us say about the policies of a service/site not connected to, or managed by, ATS?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

What would you have us say about the policies of a service/site not connected to, or managed by, ATS?

You guys said it was safe. You backed it.

I dont expect you to say anything, but I think it would be nice to hear some feedback on this
from the people who just recently put their word behind this product and so willingly put it on its website as a
default feature.

What I want to know, do you still trust Google enough to NOT put your members privacy at risk?

Are you still backing this feature?

Something? Anything ?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Do you guys post your OP on two posts hoping to get double the amount of stars?

I am just asking, because I see this a lot.

I mean you could have totally fit it all in one post, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Maybe because the intention of this site is to be like facebook.. It is intended to be a real life social networking site.. If you want to make a fake av they have sites for that also.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

You guys said it was safe. You backed it.

You may be confused, we offered no such commentary on "Google+".

willingly put it on its website as a default feature.

We did not install any connectivity to Google+, just like we never installed any connectivity to Facebook or Twitter.

We installed a dormant widget for Google +1 which is a separate service, and while integrated with the social networking service, Google+, does not rely on it for complete functionality.

What I want to know, do you still trust Google enough to NOT put your members privacy at risk?

Since I've tested the Google +1 JavaScript, and watched HTTP packets in both FireFox and Chrome, yes, I'm satisfied there is no communication back to Google unless the user decides to click. If that ever changes, it will be removed.
edit on 28-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Google is obviously a back door surveillance system in which people willingly give up their personal information to it. (there was a quote that the new world order would be welcomed). So obviously this is just another way for them to track YOU and not your avatar down. They are paranoid about anonymity so they will use the excuse of people creating multiple accounts to get your real information.

Or maybe Google is obviously trying to commit to being a social network where people can network easily without trying to pretend to be somebody else of have annoying names like "noobkiller5000" or have 30 clones of each celebrity and band. The reasons they listed are all legitimate reasons for a company like Google to do this.

You could accuse any company that asks for your information of the things you guys are panicking about. Google+, Facebook, Myspace, etc... these are not things for paranoid people. If it bothers you, stay off of it. This is not like the Patriot Act where we have no choice whether or not to participate. This is completely voluntary. Do you wear masks when you go to parties (not those kind of parties)? These networks are simply social gatherings on a large scale.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mudbeed
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Do you guys post your OP on two posts hoping to get double the amount of stars?

I am just asking, because I see this a lot.

I mean you could have totally fit it all in one post, right?

It is that way by design in the Breaking News forum.

When you go to create a new topic here the first post is simply to outline the story and provide a link to the source. In the next section you are asked to give your own opinion on the story, when you hit "post" two OP's are made.
edit on 28-7-2011 by PW229 because: Fleshed out the info for a perfectly legitimate question.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Agreed. All of the paranoia about this can be said about anybody. There is no evidence that they are doing anything insidious. It's just another way to communicate on the web. Of course it's tasty bait for certain peoples' conspiracies.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Agreed. All of the paranoia about this can be said about anybody. There is no evidence that they are doing anything insidious. It's just another way to communicate on the web. Of course it's tasty bait for certain peoples' conspiracies.

Dude,really? What are people like you even doing on this forum ? Do me the favor and use the ATS search and type in google/facebook. How can you be so naive.Christ this is sickening to think there is no alternative motive to social network sites and having to put your real ID on the internet.

Brainwash I tell you.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Alright. Thanks for the feedback.

You have to realize(which Im sure you are);hopefully, a website such as this mixing with Google probably isnt going to sit well with the kind of crowd you are attracting to your website.

Even trying to justify it ,even if it is justifiable, isnt going to win you the majority here. The majority of the people here have a hard time "trusting" Conspiracy sites mixing with big buisness(google).
I think its just Ironic is all.

As long as ATS keeps its anonomity, Im ok.

Its Google. And I dont know anyone on this planet that can say they trust Google.
Im sure not even you.
As innocent as our new relationship with them may be.

And thanks for re-assuring us that if Google cheats on us, that we will cut ties.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join