It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Google+ insist on having your real name?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I didn't know that subscribing to certain conspiracy fictions was a requirement for membership here.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
i made an acct with the site at your link www.bbc.co.uk... so that i could comment on this article you have sourced here,

after making the comment my comment was removed and the acct banned,

funny all i said was

google is a brainchild of the cia, is it really any surprise that google is anti privacy.
facebook will not allow me to open an account without providing facebook with a photo copy of my government issue id. i have screenshots to prove they demand this of me,
when there is no way to remain anonymous then there is no way to expose corruption, to be anti anonymity is to confess you are corrupt
edit on 7/28/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

I could understand maybe removing your post but banning the account
thats just crazy.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Your also forgetting all google products are tied together including the android service. Most of the people who were suspended also had android. Now they have to use there real name when signing up for phone service right? So if you in turn have another name showing up on your google account else where would that not look suspicious to its security?

So if some dumb moron gets hacked from a crappy PW and makes a account using another name and starts spamming and so on with this users google account and or using his or her services and racking up bills, who would you start blaming if the service wasn't halted?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
You have to realize(which Im sure you are);hopefully, a website such as this mixing with Google probably isnt going to sit well with the kind of crowd you are attracting to your website.

If you're going to think a dormant piece of JavaScript is a tipping point of "mixing" with Google, then perhaps you're not aware of the bigger picture:
(1) We've been using the Google webmaster tools since they were available
(2) We've been using Google Analytics since before it was owned by Google (Urchin)
(3) We've been using Google AdSense for seven years
(4) We've used Google AdWords to advertise ATS

The majority of the people here have a hard time "trusting" Conspiracy sites mixing with big buisness(google).

It's damn near impossible to have a website, with the anticipation of getting noticed and traffic, and not "mix" with Google (your word) in some fashion.

And I dont know anyone on this planet that can say they trust Google.
Im sure not even you.

I trust the people at Google.

I'm in the somewhat rare position of having been privy to their pre-launch efforts because of my involvement in other emergent online technologies (Netscape, QuickTime, Flash) as either an early-adopted developer, beta tester, or both. Over the years I've met many people who work at Google, from engineers to department heads. I personally have no direct reason to be concerned... but I understand that many who generally distrust large corporations will include Google in their list.

I also don't subscribe to the notion that Google is a "brainchild" of a government intelligence agency. Those who are not aware of the early days may not realize that soon after launch (I think one year), there was a serious effort to sell-off the Google technology to (I think) InfoSeek. Google had a difficult time competing in the first two years, and the founders wanted out.
edit on 28-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Facebook has been doing this a while now.

Just look at Facebook Connect, and how it's being implemented in nearly every social avenue.

It's pretty annoying when I can't comment in a random blog without signing into Facebook, or similar service (which shows my name) as many have completely done away with anonymous, non-login responses.

If they allowed me to use a custom display name and icon, I wouldn't care, but forcing me to show my real name and Facebook profile pic is pretty unsettling.

Just one more step in the direction of everyone becoming un-anonymous on the web.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

Couldn't have said it better

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Facebook has been doing this a while now.

Just look at Facebook Connect, and how it's being implemented in nearly every social avenue.

It's pretty annoying when I can't comment in a random blog without signing into Facebook, or similar service (which shows my name) as many have completely done away with anonymous, non-login responses.

If they allowed me to use a custom display name and icon, I wouldn't care, but forcing me to show my real name and Facebook profile pic is pretty unsettling.

Just one more step in the direction of everyone becoming un-anonymous on the web.

Have they stopped you running your own service and domain name?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Not sure I understand your question.

Brain still half asleep.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Brain still half asleep.

Register / buy a domain name
Download some blog server software
Get a cheap machine

Host your own blog, you don't have to sign in to facebook then no?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Brain still half asleep.

Get a cheap machine or a hosting service.

edit on 28-7-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Brain still half asleep.

Get a cheap machine

If you are operating the blog, you're in full control of how people make comments.

My point was rather, all of the bigger blogs and websites are opting in to the un-anonymous log-in services and many of them making it mandatory in order to leave a response or join.

Look at TechCrunch for instance.. you have to login via Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, or Hotmail in order to comment. Not too long ago I was able to chime in anonymously.

By un-anonymous I don't necessary mean they show your real name to the public, but your comment creates a link to your log-in service's profile. For instance, upon creating a Yahoo account, you have to supply a bunch of personal details in order to become a member (and many people don't even consider using bogus details to hide their true identity).

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I never gave Google my real name i gave them a miss spelling of it. my IP has the same miss spelling. even though the office worker looked at my ID i still got away with the miss spelling on the form to sign up for service.

Why because it makes it hard to do a name search for background checks.

It also tags people that have raided or hacked and got my name illegally from sites i go to.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I never gave Google my real name i gave them a miss spelling of it. my IP has the same miss spelling. even though the office worker looked at my ID i still got away with the miss spelling on the form to sign up for service.

Why because it makes it hard to do a name search for background checks.

It also tags people that have raided or hacked and got my name illegally from sites i go to.

So don't publish if you fear those.

My profile isn't public, just a name and picture, big deal.

The bigger issue you have is spam automated web scrapers that steal your profile and general freaknuts stalking you.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
...if this allegation is true about the new google+ deal - how do they know you didnt use your real name when you signed up?...

...its easy to spot names like Tricky Dick or Minnie Mouse but what about names that arent so obvious?...

...to validate the name you sign up with, they'd have to run it through some kind of database - birth certificates, social security, ncic, etc... i think thats the part that folks dont like...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Ever since the beginning of on line forums or other sites where one is encouraged to register I have noticed that NEVER is when any of them will actually DELETE an account. The best they will do is to de-activate it. I keep waiting for someone to make a federal case of it but..... In the meanwhile "No Script" will stop Google. Just add it to your browser and relax.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

Who said the internet was meant to be anonymous??

edit on 28-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I wont be signing up with Google+,thats for sure.

Googles intentions might be genuine and legit,but i highly doubt it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm happy to give Google my "real" name...

It's John Doe...

How they verify a "real" name is what I'm interested in...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How do they determine who is using their real name and who is using a pseudonym?

I know that even on facebook people can provide nicknames or pseudonyms, it should be the right of anyone who uses the service to protect their own identity to some extent. I'd say google is requiring it for market research purposes.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join