It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hypothetical Question That Will Test Your Morals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
If I could see the future, and know what they were going to do, why couldn't I just stay in my time, and make something up or try to convince the authorities to watch them?

Unfortunately by the time you have recognized who the bad guys are its too late, which is why you would have to go back in time in order to change events. If only it were that simple aye!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

if i cant tell them by them i mean the good people in power not the corrupt
would be hard finding out who that is tho
else i would then just sit back and let the fireworks blow up, you know what the justice system does to a black dude that trys to kill kids (even for the greater good)
LOL
edit on 27-7-2011 by mehforfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
Anyway, I don't think I would kill the targets. The end does not justify the means, according to my moral code.

Even if it effected your future family? would your moral code still stop you from saving them?

Well spotted BTW speling is not my forte/.
edit on 27-7-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
I wouldn't bother. If the person that caused all the problems in the first place didn't rise to power, someone else would in their place.

Turn a blind eye Evita, turn a blind eye, where have I heard that before, basically then by doing nothing you are stopping another from taking the dictators place, therefore, if that is true is that fate and should we really sit back and accept it?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman
take this recent Noway incident. What if one of those children were going to grow up and be a really bad guy? What if the man that committed the crime was really a time traveler sent to do this thing. We would never know as all we know is he is a monster as far as we are concerned. Like I said, Bad example, but, still, there is that possibility as far as your thoughts go concerning this post.

We may have all ready been saved countless times from ourselves, by ourselves.....

Indeed what we perceive as inhuman and atrocious could be a lifeline to humanity but without us knowing. I see what you are saying. How could the Norwegian bomber in this instance hypothetically speaking convince us of this in any case?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Yes. The crime has not been committed as of yet. It would be murder plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I think I would definitly go back and change the days events and sacrifice myself. Of course greeted with the same decision in real life my decision may be different.

Why would it be different? what factors are you involving if faced with the same situation in ordinary day to day life?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
By trying to do god works you may unleash an even more destructive evol influence, due to their energis still being present just not in the bodies you killed. Also you may offset time by being back in it. SO not a good look from my perspective. Why not just be patient and await cleaners to bring forth the path of the LAMB?

Interesting Ophiuchus 13, waiting for higher powers to intervene and turning a blind eye, where have I heard that one before? what if as said previously, in this hyperthetical world there are no offsets of time only positive effects in the future? would you still wait patiently then?

[color=cyan]

Yes I would. Again the child or children you may be after may be destroyed but the evol energy will just be born into another shell so it would be usless trying to do gods work.

Check this out I have a Indian friend from India. He spoke this story to me so listen.

It goes like this

there is a temple or house of GOD in it there is a cleaner
the cleaner sees GOD taking care of business all the time and reccommends GOD take a vacation
GOD says no I cannot because its a responsibility to maintain Earth the cleaner insist he take off
So GOD takes off but before he does he ask the cleaner to hold the throne till he got back under 1 rule
DONT INTERVENE AT ALL WITH THE HUMANS AT ALL
So then GOD left the throne and allowed the cleaner to over see more less

The cleaner sees a sailor a homless man and a rich man - nothing there
then he sees the rich man drop his wallet in a store
and not far behind the poor man seen it but not who dropped it it had lots of cash in it
the poor man seeked the owner but had no luck finding them
not to far later the rich man notices he lost his wallet and sees the sailor and accuses him of stealing it
the sailor is upset and goes wild trying to explain that he didnt take it
the rich man with his influence in the local called the authorities
the sailor was arrested and thrown into jail
next the Cleaner sees this and gets alarmed and tries to ignor but cannot so he sends a message in
a godlike way that the poor man picked up the wallet and then the sailor is freed and the poor man placed in jail
the cleaner felt good for intervening even tho god told him not too
GOD returns and asked how did things go
the cleaner said he tried not to intervene but did when he seen a innocent sailor go to jail
GOD SAYS NO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE I WAS ALLOWING THE POOR TO GET SOME MONEY FROM A RICH MAN WHO WOULDNT OF MISSED IT. NOW THE POOR MAN IS IN JAIL AND THAT SAILOR YOU SAVED I PLACED IN JAIL FOR THE NITE BECAUSE HE WAS SCHEDULED TO BE ON BOARD A SHIP THAT WAS TO BE SUNKEN LATER IN THE WEEK AND YOU FREED THE SAILOR AND HE SHALL DIE ON THAT BOAT

Best I can remember it from my Indian friend from India-so the point in me sharing this is GOD has plans that humans and others cannot fully understand so to try to PLAY HIM via time travel may cause MAJOR ISSUES that a non GOD couldnt phathom.

Be well
NAMASTE*******

edit on 7/27/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
how many would you kill to keep changing the future.
until you get a good future?

That is up to the person answering the question, I mean to say what is the correct definition of a 'good future'?
edit on 27-7-2011 by franspeakfree because: Glitch in the matrix

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Interesting story, I see what you are saying, by sitting back and doing nothing a religious man/women would be thinking that it is gods will that so many innocent people have died at the hand of brutal dictators. The only trouble I have with this is the fact that surely 'gods will' would have to be proven to those who aren't so accepting? and to those who are willing to stand up and do something? interesting variable nice take.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
I would take one for the team. No matter what the reprocussions were.

MOTF!

What would be your justification for taking one for the team? how do you think you would deal with the people at that time portraying you as a child killer? would you try to explain yourself?

My Justification: Look around you. Look were we are headed as a species. If there was a way for me to stop some of the BS that happens around this planet on any given day, I would be one of the first in line to do so.

Im sure people would be rather upset because they wouldn't/couldn't see the big picture. I wouldn't try to explain myself. People would assume that i was crazy and anything that i said would proove their point. I would do what i had to do and pay the price for doing so.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

I'd have to agree. There are other options to killing. This is hypothetical imaginary crazy talk, but what if someone did go back in time and tried persuading these people to keep from becoming the terrors we know them to be, only to be responsible for steering them in that direction? What if the time traveler caused that person to become who he/she is in the future? Just a thought.

Which is why I thought of introducing 2 sides that only gave the options of kill the children or have the people killed in the future? no variables or constants in this hyperthetical world.

If you bring it down to only two choices: Killing and killing, well then I guess I'd have to kill that person either way. I'd probably choose to kill them before they became so powerful that they needed body guards. I'd probably befriend them for life before ending them just at the moment in which they began to cause the loss of human lives. Their whole lives I'd try to persuade them away from their bloody destiny, and if it didn't work I'd finish them off before they had the chance to corrupt anyone else with their muddy beliefs.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
without conflict we would stagnate.

Interesting outlook there optimus primal. Would you just let innocent people die at the hands of brutal dictators and elitists even though you could do something about it? What if it was your loved ones son,daughter,grandson, grand daughter, e.t.c still feel the same way ?

doesn't matter. you can fill the universe with "what if"s, in fact you'll probably continue this thread with a million what ifs. my point still stands, regardless of how it would affect me, i would not go back in time to do anything about it. evil men and women come and go, it is the nature of our species.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If I did that, I would be no better or different than the few 'evil' men I would murder.

Read the writings or listen to the speeches of any tyrannical leaders... deep down inside they truly believe they are doing the right thing, and doing what's best for humanity.

Violence begets violence. Hate begets hate. Murder begets murder.

Instead of going back in time to murder Hitler, how about we go further back to his childhood and teach him love, compassion, and human brotherhood.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
If you had the ability and foresight to go back in time then maybe you don't need to kill anyone. Either change them in someway or persuade them to the otherside, maybe 'inception' style.
Or just try to empower the opposing force with either intelligence or other means.
And if the only only way to stop them is to kill them then so be it, but I am sure there would be consequences to that scenario too.
Interesting to ponder on.

Good thinking LestatG - However, for this particular hyperthetical world, there are no means of persuasion, inception style mind tricks or any way to stop them from waging wars and killing thousands if not millions when they are older. Only the blood of children on your hands to rid the world of dictators in the future.

franspeakfree, if this is going to be a similar answer to my reply, I would not kill a child in the past in hopes of positively changing the future. I may save the world from one murderer, but in the process I've become a murderer of a child. And for all I know, a power vacuum may erupt to bring about another tyrannical murderer. Then what do we do? Keep going back in time to kill all of the children, because eventually someone will step up to the plate.

You can not change the world by murdering a tyrant, because the root cause that created the tyrannical man are still in place, thus a new tyrant will emerge in his place.

Positive change comes through love, understanding, freedom, compassion, and peace.

To forgo murdering a tyrant, the blood of innocents is not on my hands, we are all responsible for our own actions... the blood stains the murderer.

"I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there." - Mother Teresa

edit on 7/27/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You cant go back in time, you would be travelling to another universe, a parallel one.
That's what I think.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Unfortunatley, the mechanisms of reality are far more complicated, the inevitably negative circumstances that would have occured due to collective human negativity would have expressed themselves through alternate individuals and circumstances.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
how about i just go back with a little tech rob the families and frame them
child molesting drug addict pervs
maybe the thing they would do to me in a heartbeat
NOW THATS JUSTICE

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Why fight violence with violence? Maybe I would go back and try to befriend the individual(s) and show or teach them a different perspective on life. Perhaps that would be enough to stop them from doing something bad. An example would be Hitler. He was also an artist. Perhaps if he had been recognized as a really good artist by his peers when he was young, he would have pursued it as a career and not had the inkling to become who he ultimately did and kill many people. Then again, another person could have replaced him who would have caused even more death and destruction. There would be no guarantees either way.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If it was like a little Hitler I would find him and try to mold him into a better person. Nah, I'd shoot him in the head.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join