It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hypothetical Question That Will Test Your Morals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by Misterlondon
every action has a reaction.. who knows what chain of events you would start by changing the course of future.. you could make things worse

Moving on from that philosophy (just for now) say in this hyperthetical world we are creating, there would be no chain of events, the actions of killing the children would only effect those in the future not those around them at that time. Would you do it then ?

to be honest, its not a question i would want to think about or answer.. even in a hypothetical situation. not to put a downer on your thread.. i see what your doing here and i hope you get some good responses...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I wouldn't do a thing. Not for me to mess with fate. That could have even worse repercussions. The universe has a way of screwign with you like that. You may get rid of the dictators, but that dictor may have had a kid who would grow up to cure a nasty and rampant virus. Nope, I am not a deity, I don't mess with fate.

Man invents time machine. God puts on his troll face mask.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
fight not to fall not to fail or youll end up like the others, killing should be reactionary, not preventitive, and your killing them would likely be the cause of them starting things, havent you ever seen the army of 12 monkeys?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
If you had the ability and foresight to go back in time then maybe you don't need to kill anyone. Either change them in someway or persuade them to the otherside, maybe 'inception' style.
Or just try to empower the opposing force with either intelligence or other means.
And if the only only way to stop them is to kill them then so be it, but I am sure there would be consequences to that scenario too.
Interesting to ponder on.

Good thinking LestatG - However, for this particular hyperthetical world, there are no means of persuasion, inception style mind tricks or any way to stop them from waging wars and killing thousands if not millions when they are older. Only the blood of children on your hands to rid the world of dictators in the future.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If I could see the future, and know what they were going to do, why couldn't I just stay in my time, and make something up or try to convince the authorities to watch them?

link   

Originally posted by mehforfun
haha good one, i think the only thing you can do its try to become friends with that person(s) and show them a new way. if that didnt work, with the knowledge you gained from the future you can make a name for yourself and gain ground to change them.

or unless i can bring a brainwashing device and use it on them

No brainwashing device, no making friends no making a name for yourself mehforfun only the choice, kill the children or let the people be killed in the future

Would you?

link   
Not to be off topic here, but are we experiencing a group reality where the word "hyperthetical" should take the place of the word "hypothetical"? Nobody has caught this???

Anyway, I don't think I would kill the targets. The end does not justify the means, according to my moral code.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't bother. If the person that caused all the problems in the first place didn't rise to power, someone else would in their place.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
I would take one for the team. No matter what the reprocussions were.

MOTF!

What would be your justification for taking one for the team? how do you think you would deal with the people at that time portraying you as a child killer? would you try to explain yourself?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Ummm....

What about the Temporal Prime Directive????

Seriously, if I had the power to go back in time I'd go waaaaaay back and take a crap-load of technology with me...I'd go like 2000 years back...think where the human race would be by now...maybe we could be at the point where there is no poverty, disease, hunger, and we can correct mental disorders that lead people to do bad things.

And I might just claim to be the savior of man and create my own religion so weak minded people would be worshiping me for 2000 years!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Who is to say this isn't or hasn't all ready happened? There is that possibility as well. I mean in a minute from after posting this you and I will be in the future and this post will be in the past. The only thing fleeting is the present. I think we have mastered this to some extent in the future, but Im sure we have attached laws to it as well.

Some things we consider monstrous now may very well be this exact thing you mention happening. Perhaps the future considers it the lesser of two evils... shrug, just thinking out loud really. For a bad example at this point in time, but just a what if, take this recent Noway incident. What if one of those children were going to grow up and be a really bad guy? What if the man that committed the crime was really a time traveler sent to do this thing. We would never know as all we know is he is a monster as far as we are concerned. Like I said, Bad example, but, still, there is that possibility as far as your thoughts go concerning this post.

We may have all ready been saved countless times from ourselves, by ourselves.....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
...wow - in this hypothetical scenario - a person has the power to see the future and travel back in time but they're too stupid to figure out a solution that does not include murdering children?... thats insane...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think an example would be helpful in this discussion.

Let's say that you found you had the ability to get into the cockpit of the jets that hit on 911 and land them safely without incident. But again your life is ended. Would you do it to prevent all those deaths and the wars that followed?

Moral decisions are easy when they involve two parties on an individulized basis, however, when you compare the decisions on a personal level versus society as a whole they get much tougher.

I think I would definitly go back and change the days events and sacrifice myself. Of course greeted with the same decision in real life my decision may be different.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveAndPerseverence
I would then kill the eventual-ruthless child and say that I came from the future to stop this person from destruction. I would then be sent to jail, but i would continue claiming to be from the future and begin predicting events. I would only be able to predict events for the neat future, since the future would be changed after my killing of the eventual-ruthless. I would be free or probably become an fbi worker of some sort

Sorry I missed your reply there, so many responses in such little time:

Ok so you would go and kill the child/children and then be sent to jail, there you would protest your innocence and then claim to be from the future. You would then try to prove yourself to the people by predicting events, however, in this hyperthetical world there is no prediction. You have traveled back in time and the only memory you have is your mission objective. Would you still go back in time and kill the child/children?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I wouldn't do a thing. Not for me to mess with fate. That could have even worse repercussions. The universe has a way of screwign with you like that. You may get rid of the dictators, but that dictor may have had a kid who would grow up to cure a nasty and rampant virus. Nope, I am not a deity, I don't mess with fate.

I like your style, by not harming the children they grow up to be dictator and then have children who may grow up curing cancer or some other ills. What if in this reality they grow up to kill even more innocent people and due to the lack of actions on your part the world is plunges in to chaos and confusion? would you then go back and kill the children?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

I like your style, by not harming the children they grow up to be dictator and then have children who may grow up curing cancer or some other ills. What if in this reality they grow up to kill even more innocent people and due to the lack of actions on your part the world is plunges in to chaos and confusion? would you then go back and kill the children?

Okay, your kid killing fixation is getting creepy.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I belive that even if you went back in time to change the evil someone will allways take there place. We will allways have some messure of evil in the world as long as we all have free will to think and have beliefs for ourselves. that is what makes the good in the world good.the world is never going to be everyones ideal.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

I'd have to agree. There are other options to killing. This is hypothetical imaginary crazy talk, but what if someone did go back in time and tried persuading these people to keep from becoming the terrors we know them to be, only to be responsible for steering them in that direction? What if the time traveler caused that person to become who he/she is in the future? Just a thought.

Which is why I thought of introducing 2 sides that only gave the options of kill the children or have the people killed in the future? no variables or constants in this hyperthetical world.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

I'd have to agree. There are other options to killing. This is hypothetical imaginary crazy talk, but what if someone did go back in time and tried persuading these people to keep from becoming the terrors we know them to be, only to be responsible for steering them in that direction? What if the time traveler caused that person to become who he/she is in the future? Just a thought.

Which is why I thought of introducing 2 sides that only gave the options of kill the children or have the people killed in the future? no variables or constants in this hyperthetical world.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
No!
you dont know if the people who replace them are more evil.
why not get to the kid’s in some way.
as to make them more good?

a better angle. you would be abele to see the future.
so you know who to kill and what will take its places.
how many would you kill to keep changing the future.
until you get a good future?

Great twist for a Sci-Fi book.
serial killer who is trying to make a good suture.
and some one is trying to stop him.
please some one use this.
and I know how to stop him?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join