It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide boom in post-nuclear Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

As well as killing thousands, Japan’s natural disasters caused a leak of dangerous amounts of radiation into the environment. Meanwhile, many of those who survived are struggling with their own nuclear nightmare. ­A triple disaster on a scale the world has never known caused damage, destruction and uncertainty, forcing tens of thousands of Japanese refugees to leave their lives behind and seek shelter anywhere they can.

“Some people do evacuate,” says Komae Hosokawa, a nuclear sociologist. “But the problem is they are the minority and they have been accused by their neighbors, by their classmates and of course by official personnel that they are causing unfounded anxiety among people, which is not good.”

Though primarily a move towards self-preservation, this idea of desertion is defined by many as characteristically un-Japanese and has earned those who have evacuated the dishonorable title of traitor.

rt.com...

Jesus...if you're desribed as a traitor for moving out of a radioactive zone by your own people then the crap really hits the fan.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Your honor wont save you from the rads, there comes a time when intelligence needs to prevail.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

The Japanese people certainly have some specifically identifiable traits when it comes to "saving face" or as they perceive it - doing the right thing. Sometimes to outsiders it seems like they are doing a robotic like thing, others see it as protecting a pride that they have. I usually find it quite admirable and nationalistic, but really in this instance I find it a bit scary - really modern life and death situational decisions should be individual decisions.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Seppuku

I always found this quit strange....
but at the same time some what admirable

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Japan's culture is killing them, plain and simple no doubt about it. It has been confirmed now.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Seppuku was for Samurai warriors, not just anyone whos japanese, if a samurai had brought disrespect upon himself by for example, losing a battle to a 'weaker foe' a great example is in The Last Samurai where Tom Cruise beats one of the Samurai warriors in a 'fight' neither kill each other but cruise has the upperhand as he slams the warrior to the floor or something, the samurai is instructed to commit seppuku, to 'right' his 'wrong' so to speak.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The Japanese are an extremely nationalistic people. The good of the country comes before the good of the individual. It is not something that western culture could understand.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Desertion is "UnJapanese, possible epidemic of suicide and depression"

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

It isn't their culture that is killing them....it is escaping radiation from the nuclear meltdown that is killing them....and, will eventually kill us all.....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by doryinaz

I think its an overstatement to say that it will kill us all. Probably more like some of us. I strongly doubt this is an ELE

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by doryinaz

It isn't their culture that is killing them....it is escaping radiation from the nuclear meltdown that is killing them....and, will eventually kill us all.....

They are still too damn proud to leave, they've been raised in a culture that has dignity. Us westerners don't have that. If this were America, the people would've fled and went on about their business. I'm going to be honest with you

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

They are still too damn proud to leave, they've been raised in a culture that has dignity. Us westerners don't have that. If this were America, the people would've fled and went on about their business. I'm going to be honest with you

DIgnity=stupidity in this case. It would be hard pressed to find a higher dignity than trying to protect your family from the ills and stupity of others.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
No surprise here.

Suicide has been a well-accepted part of Japanese culture for centuries. There is no other nation on Earth that places as little value on their own survival as the Japanese.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
sad

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

LoL I took a course about japanese cultural history and I would have to say yes indeed their culture is killing them.

Have you ever heard of office girls? They actively emasculated the male population after world word 2 and look at where they are today?
The boys think they are sexy when they starve themselves and dress like women (I can go ahead include the massive increase in soy in the country and its promotion of estrogen in the body)
Their entire population is on a huge decline.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I find people are very quick to say , demise of own culture, no wonder with all the rads etc.

You people are the ones who make ME sick. Vile and disgusting humans.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

LoL I took a course about japanese cultural history and I would have to say yes indeed their culture is killing them.

Have you ever heard of office girls? They actively emasculated the male population after world word 2 and look at where they are today?
The boys think they are sexy when they starve themselves and dress like women (I can go ahead include the massive increase in soy in the country and its promotion of estrogen in the body)
Their entire population is on a huge decline.

You didn't need a college class to learn that. Just look around.

You know your nation is going to hell in a handbasket when masculinity goes from

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Embertail

I am pretty sure you could find evidence of this in every culture.

That guy looks a lot better than most women

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Their culture is surely one that will tend towards suicide. Sometimes our biggest strengths are simultaneously our biggest weaknesses. The wonderful self discipline they exercise (good in a moment of crisis) also has the effect of turning anxiety and aggression inwards toward the self instead of exteriorizing. Which they surely find more ethical anyway.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
reply to post by Embertail

I am pretty sure you could find evidence of this in every culture.

That guy looks a lot better than most women

Women are more prone to committing suicide also which ties in to their generally higher rate of suicide these days. But the sepuku was one manly way to kill yourself i must admit.

Their entire culture is aimed at destroying the perception of the individual and creating a hive mind wanna be (pun intended)

Say what you will about freedom of expression but if don't try to act like it really benefits society.
Fashion is pointless 100% pointless and anyone who thinks it is important is an absolute fool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join