It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide boom in post-nuclear Japan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Yep sure comes across as a hive mentality... strange behaviour that appears more cult like rather than social values. I really can't understand why people would leave their kids in this situation even if the parent wants to do a slow and tragic death by radiation Hara-kiri. I think I may have been misinterpreting their determined resolve for stubborn stupidity for years.

As for this....

Women are more prone to committing suicide also which ties in to their generally higher rate of suicide these days. But the sepuku was one manly way to kill yourself i must admit.
reply to post by MasterGemini

From what I understand its males who have a propensity for suicide in all cultures/countries.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconV
Yep sure comes across as a hive mentality... strange behaviour that appears more cult like rather than social values. I really can't understand why people would leave their kids in this situation even if the parent wants to do a slow and tragic death by radiation Hara-kiri. I think I may have been misinterpreting their determined resolve for stubborn stupidity for years.

As for this....

Women are more prone to committing suicide also which ties in to their generally higher rate of suicide these days. But the sepuku was one manly way to kill yourself i must admit.
reply to post by MasterGemini

From what I understand its males who have a propensity for suicide in all cultures/countries.

wikipedia says you are right about that, but personal experience screams otherwise to me.

But I will say I stand corrected for now.

I was confusing suicide attempts with actually being successful. Women have a far higher number of attempts but their non confrontational non violent nature leads them to try and kill themselves with less effective means.
edit on 1-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

Women are also more prone to depression and holy crap as I type this a don't kill yourself commercial with sergent dan from forest gump just came on!!
edit on 1-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
really what did it say?
dont kill urself,the goverment will do it for ya? or somthing like that

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Fears of Suicide Surge in Japan's Tsunami Zone

More than 430,000 people were forced into emergency shelters. Homes were destroyed. Communities cut off. The phone counseling service ‘Inochi no Denwa’ in Sendai, one of the worst hit cities, is beefing up its services to deal with an anticipated rise in the number of calls. Kazuko Demura, the organization’ chairwoman, said, "Immediately after the quake and tsunami everyone was really scared.

On the telephone, everyone said they were frightened, especially people with existing mental health problems. For example, in the shelters they can’t sleep, they have no medication, so their mental health is getting worse and worse." Fallout from the nuclear plant in Fukushima prompted a Japanese farmer to hang himself.

Local media say a government worker killed himself in April, as did a father who had lost his daughter. There are fears the trickle could become a torrent. Japan already has the highest suicide rate in the world - at more than 30,000 deaths per year for the last 13 years. Several months since the tsunami, the mental effects are still great, said Demura.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join