It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food stamps and how they make people feel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
I'm a cashier at a well-known, large grocery store, and I ring up people with foodstamps everyday. I think we need to put even MORE of a stigma on foodstamps. SO many people abuse them, giving their cards to their kids so they can buy all their school friends candy, soda, energy drinks, etc. People swipe their EBT cards buying steak and tell me they're throwing barbecues, having parties, then they go get in their brand new 2011 car, while I bust my # to pay for a #ty older car. No it's not "okay" to be on foodstamps!!!! It is not NORMAL, nor should it be! It's a last resort, something that should only be done in serious desperate measures. Otherwise, you are stealing from people who really are getting off their asses to work, people with honor and integrity.

Personally, I believe in abolishing foodstamps altogether. The government is stealing money out of my paycheck to use for charity, when charity should be given freely.

Let the flaming begin.

No flaming here. I understand your sentiment, I really do.

But what about the ones that really need it. I don't know. I guess I believe in Karma. If you milk the system for your own advantage I feel you will get what is coming to you. Those that really need it deserve to feed their family.

Question for you. If you work as a Cashier full time I assume you file for the "Earned Income Credit" on your taxes? Correct? If so, then you actually pay little to no taxes? Why begrudge those even less fortunate than yourselves, even if they were to make such a poor decision as to buy a new car with the few dollars they have?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by obzerver
i think we as americans need to form up and make it less acward to get food stamps theres people i know are out there who dont take them because they cant stand they way it feels to be on them we need to open our hearts

i have them but and i dont mind but i know that there are peopl to proud to use or take them maybe we could find a less formal way to present the help so it doesnt sound like help

Just curious, are there some states that still give out stamps? "Food stamps" are issued in the form of a credit card here in TX, so there's none of the stigma that there used to be when trying to pay via stamps.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I know that sometimes people on food stamps get a bad rap. Sometimes deserved, sometimes not. To those who deserve it and really need, stand up and be proud. It takes putting pride aside and doing what one has to do to support their family. I'm sure once one is back on their feet they will use some of their resources to help others less fortunate.

You can say the same for the unemployed as well. How many times on ATS have we seen them called lazy, leeches, and parasites?

Every single day.

I was on unemployment for 3 months years ago...I hated it. I felt like a bum and a lowlife...and I know that many out there probably felt the same as I did...but now likely worse as it's far more difficult to get a job now than it was 4 years ago.

Hopefully this country will make a U-turn and things will get better...but damn...it doesn't look like it.

Hope everyone hangs in there...and doesn't feel shame for doing what is necessary to feed their kids and keep a roof over their heads.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Nearly every American is one injury or sickness away from losing their jobs, houses, and means to attain food. The more that people realize that, the more they'll realize there is no shame in accepting help. Oh, and it's not like it's free. People who get food assistance have paid taxes and once again will... so, really, it's not like they are taking hand-outs or charity.

It's funny because I see people who look down upon it yet they accept unemployment insurance.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I really am sorry that you've had it so rough, and that's great that you can make money online.

For anyone who has a valid reason for needing foodstamps, I apologize if I offended you. However from what I've seen, it seems that these are abused more often than not, and I've even seen my own relatives abuse the system (to my disgust). Has anyone seen the video of the rapper, Ol' Dirty Bastard, picking up his welfare check in his limo? Sickening.

And I've had friends/relatives who complain about it "being impossible" to find a job anywhere. Well, I hooked them up with agricultural jobs through a farmer friend of mine. The work was rough. It was in 90 degree weather, topping corn, 10 hours a day, and the pay was minimum wage. Yes, it sucked. But these guys, who claimed they would take any job they could get, quit at least a week into the job. So I'm somewhat jaded and I truly think some people are just lazy leeches feeding off of society's generosity.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
People used to sell their stamps for .50 cents on the dollar.
They got food stamps but no money for essentials like toliet paper soap kotex and the like.
Food stamps are good for their intended purpose but what about the other things ?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

10 hours a day in 90 degree weather for minimum wage???? I hope those farmers give out great medical insurance for when the people working for them drop over from heat stroke.... Are you freaking kidding me??!!??!???

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

My husband is getting unemployment. He does not want to apply for food stamps though. He sees unemployment as being paid as an insurance premium by his employer in part, and he's pretty upset with them.

We have friends that have not found work in 3 years- see this is the housing industry, my husband was a designer- his company of 500 is now down to 20. We expect them to close soon, but bad management, we feel, did this as much ore more than the economy- paying managers 3 times what workers made and they did nothing, and then laying off workers and keepign management! Now they have about 15 managers and 5 workers. lol Owner tried to make everyone see he had it rough too so he put one of his jags out in front of the business with a for sale sign. lol

Oh boy. But we are tough. I just get mad at people for saying stupid, mean things. Like I got a new hen. A friend who was Oh so concerned about us was like "Is it really wise to get a new pet right now?" A new WHAT? People do not even understand what real wealth is. Like, why do you have an internet connection?

I guess - referring to that crazy poverty report that came out about how the poor in america have, gasp, refrigerators, that we are supposed to get naked down to some torn cotton underwear, and go sit in the mud like pigs. THEN we'd be poor.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

It's a job.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

Not quite old enough for EITC.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

They still do that today with the cards. Either shop together, or lend the buyer the card with the password. Cashiers don't ask to verify food stamps versus identification.

$1 real currency = $2 foodstamps

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i passed on the unemployment , thinking i could get work but did get the EBT, card sounds better than food stamps, now i wish i had taken the unemployment, no work , i am in the voc rehab for displaced workers or the disabled that want to work but need help in seeking it, it might be an other 4 months before i see a pay check, having food is one thing but the needs that you can not buy with them is an other, tooth past, soap, deodorant, shampoo, razors, it is bad enough finding a job butt smelling and looking like the old man of the mountain is an other, I have no problem with the use of EBT as food, i would be nice to get 15$ cash for the other things.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
reply to post by Cuervo

My husband is getting unemployment. He does not want to apply for food stamps though. He sees unemployment as being paid as an insurance premium by his employer in part, and he's pretty upset with them.

We have friends that have not found work in 3 years- see this is the housing industry, my husband was a designer- his company of 500 is now down to 20. We expect them to close soon, but bad management, we feel, did this as much ore more than the economy- paying managers 3 times what workers made and they did nothing, and then laying off workers and keepign management! Now they have about 15 managers and 5 workers. lol Owner tried to make everyone see he had it rough too so he put one of his jags out in front of the business with a for sale sign. lol

Oh boy. But we are tough. I just get mad at people for saying stupid, mean things. Like I got a new hen. A friend who was Oh so concerned about us was like "Is it really wise to get a new pet right now?" A new WHAT? People do not even understand what real wealth is. Like, why do you have an internet connection?

I guess - referring to that crazy poverty report that came out about how the poor in america have, gasp, refrigerators, that we are supposed to get naked down to some torn cotton underwear, and go sit in the mud like pigs. THEN we'd be poor.

Yeah, that report you brought up was disgusting.

Maybe it would help if you explained to your husband that food assistance is no different than unemployment. They just call it different things. He's been paying taxes right? How do you think the government pays for food stamps? Taxes! His taxes. He totally earned them and should take advantage of them. Oh, and get several hens; they pay for themselves!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
reply to post by Ace High

Not quite old enough for EITC.

Ok I understand.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, you may be a little too young to understand how difficult and screwed up this world really is.

Yes, many will take advantage but better to have them take advantage, and feed those that really need it, than not.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I have been helping my neighbor learn to get what he needs with his food stamps. Like he has a teen daughter with girl type needs. I used to help him out but now I can't- I have to focus on helping US out.

Anyway, not trying to self promote, but I wrote a piece here on how to get some basic needs met with food stamps (like how to get razors, pads, gas cards, bit of cash) legally. wiresplice.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Absolutely right.

For all of you that left your heart on your sleeves, I have nothing but the greatest respect for your honesty. You are not alone ...EVER. So many of us struggle with your same issues. My heart is deep and tears come down my face for your struggles.

We have a very backwards way of politics concerning not only the poor, but the sick, elderly and indigent. I tell ya, tears are not enough to convey the struggles of life.

We have to find a way to reach out towards one another and make life more enjoyable. I'm open for suggestions. All I can give now is my empathy and sympathy.

Everyone hang on. Don't get defeated. Hang in there and find your spirituality.

Anyone in dire straights...u2u me. I have some (little) cash to help. Just state your case. I'm being true. Have helped a many great folks. What good is money if you can't share it. Just be one of the posters that participated in this thread only. I will check.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I was on food stamps about 10 years ago. It is beyond degrading. The misinformation regarding it is astounding.
YOU CAN NOT have a car valued at over $2000 blue book. They will make you sell it before you can get any more. You have to turn in monthly bank statements. A lady once tried to fight me, because I had a generous landlord who let me borrow her Lexus to get groceries while she watched my kids. She often would give me clothes that cost more than I would ever spend on clothes. I don't do name brand clothes, but when they are given to you, you take what you can get.
Fast forward to three years ago. I had a rough couple months in 2008. Having quit watching t.v. 6 months prior, I tried to sell a t.v. I bought in 2006. Not one pawn shop would take it, because they were only taking flat screen HD t.v.s. No takers on Craigslist either. Having nothing else of value I tried selling what ever I could on on ebay. I think I made a total $6.

I am one of those people who tend to obsess and over analyze what I could have done differently to avoid those situations. Finally I stopped beating myself up, because I learned there was nothing I could have done differently.
The one thing you can never prepare for is other peoples actions.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

that is a good way of doing it legally, booked marked and will do come next month, tell you how it went.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

We have hens, they are a joy and are free range and they pay their rent pretty good.

We love a good challenge. I think for the most part that's how we look at it.

I understand about family members- that's why I never applied for my disability. I've got 2 family members that are so disabled but then they go and work 'under the table' and they paint their homes and they take care of their kids/grandkids and volunteer for everything with their churches - you know? If they can do all that, they can work.
I'm smart and never liked to think of myself as disabled. i didn't want to be like them, so I took the hard road and didn't apply, even when my doc told me that I should and he'd support me. When I did work, I made a fairly high salary, and I know i've paid a LOT of taxes.

So I'm ok, but when I start talking about these kids, I get mad. I am surrounded every day by some really nice teens, who really - I don't see much hope in life for if something does not give. They won't be able to go to college, and they won't be able to find a job. They are all half angry already. Something is going to have to give for THEM, if not for the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

that is a good way of doing it legally, booked marked and will do come next month, tell you how it went.

If you need help- or have a question, send a comment- I'll see it. I'll help as much as I can.
I am trying to write other things like that down- if I've got to be so doggone poor maybe I can at least help others. I've always been good at figuring out how to get things that were needed and just be happy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join