It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food stamps and how they make people feel

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by wildoracle13

Spoken like someone who has never seen how the other side of the track lives.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have lived in poverty, we did not have phone and the internet was not yet invented. We had a small color TV that got channel 3. We did not live off of foodstamps, we tried to get them but were refused. I would post the racially motivated disgust that my mom spouted out but I would receive a ban.

This is how I feel about it. If you have the money to pay for TV, Internet, cell phone, cars, house, cigarettes, candy, soda water, or whatever; you have the money to pay for your own food. Until you turn off all of those services, quit smoking, sell your cars, then please do not continue to leach off of me.

Anyone who claims that they need foodstamps but also can afford the stuff I mentioned, you do no need foodstamps! You are a plague to the working society in America, get off your lazy butts and earn your living instead of leaching off of mine. I earned my keep, earn yours.

One third of my check goes to taxes, this is utter crap! If you disagree with my comments you need to do some soul searching. There is nothing morally correct in regard to forcefully taking my money and giving it to someone else. People should take care of themselves and the government should get out of the way.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Morningglory

only if a complaint is made or if there is suspicion of abuse/ fraud, for i know of many that get away with driving a cad , yes a Cadillac Escalade but then they have 8 kids now this is what i call abuse for they have kids to stay on one works at the store house the other works at DI, or did it has been some time sense i have seen them.

I'm not saying abuse doesn't happen. Checks and balances are in place within all government agencies. As a taxpaying citizen it's your right and just good for our economy to report abuse...people do it all the time. These folks will be thoroughly investigated.

I find it hard to believe a brand new Escalade wouldn't exceed allowable assets. It's based on the individual state's eligibility requirements so I honestly wouldn't know.

In my state as soon as children reach the age of 3 the moms are required to seek employment. Now whether they can/do is another matter. After 3 children the mom is counseled/encouraged to get her tubes tied. Sure the department battles to get dead beat dad's to pay up but most end up in jail.

I provided non-emergency medical transport for the department's clients and drove many "welfare moms." I guess they didn't have access to an Escalade. I've taken a few to the Dr. with their 3rd child. The majority are only too happy to get their tubes tied. Some don't want to wait for the 3rd child but that's a bit of a gray area if the woman is really young.

The hubby and I have worked all kinds of jobs some for very low pay. We admit we could never have done it without the other. Frankly I don't know how single parents do it. They're raising the next generation and are often so alone in their worries and frustrations. I don't see a problem with helping people who are trying to help themselves. Our system should work for those individuals not against them. All the rest should be reported.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

lets see you get by with no tv internet cigs if you smoke beer or wine if you drink, your meds that you need, ins for your car, car maitance and gas for car for you need car for work for your on call, lights to read by, gas to heat by, then say you do not need food stamps oh yea and the 2 kids your putting through school one in collage first year the other middle now what do you give up so you do not need food stamps... food? one bottle of wine 12$ one 6 pack of beer 5$ cigs $100 how long will that feed the 4 of you 2 days ok so you get 2 days of food what about the other 28 speaking not of my self but of them that i knew or know that are in the same boat got an answer i will pas it on, for yes there has got to be a better way but to tell some one to do with out when they have little or nothing and your eating a t bone every night, you might or might not, you might be a vegan 4$ tomato for dinner? now that is a shame a sham and a scam.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Depends on the state. Some states no longer consider vehicles as an asset. You can't encourage people to work if you don't allow them to have a car.
I also know families with an escalade, but it is one car for the whole family to use. So scenarios vary.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Well, the way I see it is that I don't enjoy paying my federal taxes, if I had a choice I would certainly not pay them. If I want to donate to charity and let them see fit how to distribute the money, that should be my choice. Let's not forget that with that little EBT card you can not purchase just what ever you want (even though it is just your own hard earned money coming back around) they tell you what brand of cereal and milk you will buy, they tell you what food groups you must buy from. A church doesn't do that. Salvation Army doesn't do that. I understand that those are control measures put in place to help discourage those with no idea of what an essential food item would be but it still doesn't change the fact that they are telling me how to spend my own money. No reason why private entities couldn't pick up where the government got too big and left off.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Private entities are already maxed out. So what now? And how do they now handle the surge of people that you now unleash on them?

Only 7.5 cents of every tax dollar goes to welfare programs, including veterans benefits and pensions. People are freaking out over a relatively small chunk of change.
edit on 27-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

lets see you get by with no tv internet cigs if you smoke beer or wine if you drink, your meds that you need, ins for your car, car maitance and gas for car for you need car for work for your on call, lights to read by, gas to heat by, then say you do not need food stamps oh yea and the 2 kids your putting through school one in collage first year the other middle now what do you give up so you do not need food stamps... food? one bottle of wine 12$ one 6 pack of beer 5$ cigs $100 how long will that feed the 4 of you 2 days ok so you get 2 days of food what about the other 28 speaking not of my self but of them that i knew or know that are in the same boat got an answer i will pas it on, for yes there has got to be a better way but to tell some one to do with out when they have little or nothing and your eating a t bone every night, you might or might not, you might be a vegan 4$ tomato for dinner? now that is a shame a sham and a scam.

If you are putting your kids thru collage, you don't need foodstamps. You are basically subsidizing your kids education by getting foodstamps. If you cant afford food, you should not be able to afford a college education.

Wants and needs are too easily confused in our current age of unearned entitlements. People spend money on stuff they want before stuff they need. Now the government must take away my hard earned money to subsidize bad spending.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

and by that time say 3 years , how much money have they spent/ used that they where not entitled too? and then how do you get it back? put them in jail for fraud, take the kids and put them in Forster homes? Here there is no law, that i know of, that says how many kids you can have, (nor wives), yes that is that state of the state the more the merrier as it is said, but on the real side of the issue the system is broken, make to much you starve, do not make any or not enough your a leach a bum a lazy person, show or use your benefits your looked down up on, well some day you that sit high and mighty just might be where the rest of us are, down and out making do with little or nothing at all with nothing left to loose, but the one thing that keeps us going is the fact we have done what we can, and honestly.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Spoken like someone who has never seen how the other side of the track lives.

You are right kind of. I have not visited down town Detroit or Baltimore and I refuse to do so for more reasons than I can count. I also refuse to help people who can not help themselves long term and that's exactly the type of thing we are talking about.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

so a person must give up the kids education to eat , one must give up the job that has the health ins for one that does not, but needs no car, this does not make any sense, you have bad thinking of how it is, for the kid is in med school, might be the one to cure a major health disease, or could flunk out then yes it was a waste, but then that is the future, this is the here and now, and the now says they need to eat. or do you think rice and beans is enough

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Private entities are already maxed out. So what now? And how do they now handle the surge of people that you now unleash on them?

Only 7.5 cents of every tax dollar goes to welfare programs, including veterans benefits and pensions. People are freaking out over a relatively small chunk of change.
edit on 27-7-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

This is wildly out there but imagine if all of us who are paying social security are now paying private entities run by the public, we then are not maxed out. Each of us has the capacity to give where we feel it's needed and I guarantee you this: we wont be sending chunks of our paychecks to individuals over-seas to build and maintain mosques and the like or helping our great senators fuel up their jets to fly around the country. And I promise you that we would take a lot better care of each other if we had the ability. My grandma's social security check would be replaced by the extra money I would then have in my own paycheck. And my daughter would do the same for me.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
To people on food stamps, dont feel bad or embarrassed who cares get your food feed your family

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Food stamps are one of the best things ever for starving people because I don't believe anyone should ever have to suffer. Now the problem is here in America only about 20% of the people that have food stamps use them correctly. I can't count the number of people I personally know in Indianapolis that sell there food stamps for half price, the amount of people that could still afford to buy there food but why would they when they know they can get free food, and the amount of people that are just flat out lazy and live off the government get pregnant just for welfare money and stuff like that that's partly what's wrong with America people rely on the government heavily and know they can get welfare food stamps and all that great stuff I hate food stamps because they are abused by the majority I work my butt of 60+ hours a week and see my tiny tax return or I owe and then i see people that don't do anything but live off the government and get back thousand of dollars just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the government rewards the lazy and uneducated while it tries to punish hard working people I'm no where near rich but I sacrifice my body and self to make sure my family has the bills paid food on the table clothes on our backs and a roof over our heads and when I see people that don't work don't look for jobs nothing to better there self I wish the government would stop giving hand outs to those people. now to the people that do try and just cant because of physically or mentally Illness we should never stop helping them put restrictions on government hands outs just like you do business you have certain things you must do for help and if you don't sorry you better learn how to stop abusing the system if I hurt anyone's feelings I'm truly sorry but if it's hurts your feelings it's a good chance your abusing the system so get mad all you want the truth does hurt at times

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

do you really think you will get SS when you retire if you retire for i am 46 i do not see me getting it for it might be privatized you pay in like a 401k? and do you think you will keep that , do you have a savings that has not been dipped in to or even have a savings, do you need meds? will you need meds or medical need, will you get cancer, heart problems, diabetes? will you ask for help then or just tough it out? i have got news for you you are funding the war effort the fuel and any other program by paying in to SS, the ss fund is an open source for the gov they barrow funds and say they will put back the funds with no interest. www.heritage.org...

edit on 27-7-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It's been about 5 years since I provided services for the department so my state may have made some changes too.

You can't encourage people to work if you don't allow them to have a car.

You're absolutely right. The first thing they ask for at the unemployment office is a valid drivers license. You have to prove you can get to work before they'll sign you up.

Many of us at 16 used mom & dad's car to get our first license. Their resources help get us started. As long as you renew the DMV never has to see what a POS some of us drive. Not so easy for an underprivileged new driver. Being in transportation, my hubby has always said when people loose the ability to drive or own cars poverty isn't far off.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
what i was realy trying to say is if we are all paying to have these sevices why be so up tight and mean about it the way the government looks at its people is you should know what your father knows by now

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm raising my granddaughter... so yeah to get her health Bennie's I had to go apply...
they give me just under $100 to help feed her... No I don't really need it but it does help... leaving me with a little more money to pay for books or clothes... 3 yr olds grow out of things quicker than you can blink...

there's no extra cash or anything like that... most of her other expenses are on me... She's not gonna starve without them... but the real goal was having that health card... the food stamps came as a package deal...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

I couldn't agree more...get rid of it. People WILL find a way.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

so a person must give up the kids education to eat , one must give up the job that has the health ins for one that does not, but needs no car, this does not make any sense, you have bad thinking of how it is, for the kid is in med school, might be the one to cure a major health disease, or could flunk out then yes it was a waste, but then that is the future, this is the here and now, and the now says they need to eat. or do you think rice and beans is enough

Why must I give up my money (actually its forcefully taken) so you can get what you WANT? Notice, I said want not need. You don't need a college education, you don't need health insurance, you don't need a car. How can you morally sit on your computer in your AC while you live off the backs of others? Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't see the justification in our current welfare state. Save the welfare for the people who truly cannot work. If you cant afford stuff and you have a job, get a better job!

This bring up another point. Dependence on welfare has given some companies the justification to pay less which actually hurts the economy even more. Remember the Walmart welfare scandal?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join