It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food stamps and how they make people feel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
i think we as americans need to form up and make it less acward to get food stamps theres people i know are out there who dont take them because they cant stand they way it feels to be on them we need to open our hearts

i have them but and i dont mind but i know that there are peopl to proud to use or take them maybe we could find a less formal way to present the help so it doesnt sound like help

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
those who choose not to take them even though they qualify still usually somehow manage to get by.

Actually it reminds me of stories of the 30's and 40s when people were too proud to collect unemployment even though there wasn't much in the way of work and jobs to be found. The same folks who chose to clean restrooms and sweep streets for minimum wage.

...I have to admit, I highly respect those people who find a way to get by without public assistance even when they qualify for it.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Doesn't really matter how you present it or what you call them. Folks who feel too ashamed to get on it are going to see right through that and still have the same trouble.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by obzerver

I'm pretty sure that folks are not feeling the same shame they would have ten years ago. We are in rough times and I would not admonish anyone trying to survive.

Unfortunately, I did have to go through the process. It was devastating to me. There is a great deal of empathy on my part for others whom have gone through the demeaning course of acquiring benefits.

Myself, I got too sick to work. It was awful. I had no idea about these things, Always was a self sufficient person. However sickness or unemployment will drive a person to desperation.

Yes, I went through it. Not proud of it and sometimes feel ashamed that I could not take care of myself. However, I don't have a great health outlook...I'm going south health wise.

Yet my biggest concern if for the average out of work American. It rips my guts out that we have millions struggling to eat and make ends meet. We live in such rough times.

My prayers go out to everyone experiencing this most egregious time in history. It's time for those of us who can give.......give generously.

Amen.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
When I was a young mother, newly on my own, in a new town, I was able to get foodstamps. It took a long time for them to set everything up, so, when I finally did get my foodstamps, it was a retroactive amount of 4 months.

We went shopping and stocked up on everything. Beans, rice, mayonaise and mustard, hamburger, tuna, etc. But, for that night, we were eating steak!

The cashier actually stopped ringing me up and yelled at me for buying high end meat, enough for 1 meal for 2! She called the manager over, holding up the line, saying she refused to ring up such &$%#@!

That was 30 years ago.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I thought I saw some article not long ago (sorry, no linkage) that they had changed the system so they are no longer "stamps". If this article is to be believed, the new format is like a swipeable credit card, so that it's harder for people around you to tell you are using food stamps. Supposedly this was done for the very reason the OP mentions.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Yes, it is a swipe-able card. It's called an EBT card. Yes, it does take away some of the stigma of what the food stamp dollars did. Can you imagine paying in food stamp cash that said "food stamp" cash? Ugh. How embarrassing.

Now time to load up the groceries in the Escalade! Just kidding.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If I were hungry and all I had was food stamps, it won't matter how they make me feel. Hunger is worse.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
No shame in these times.

Feed your family, whatever means necessary. I know I will.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
We are trying to make it on our own. However, it isn't easy. My husband worked the same job for 25 years and got laid off recently. I'm disabled but never filed for disability, so now I can't. It isn't easy to live on 17k a year which is his unemployment. Before he lost his job, he took extreme pay cuts 3 years straight. It wasn't always this way, but the last 3 years have already strained us.
I am resourceful but I have a 15 year old that just does not really understand why he can't have ANYTHING. PERIOD.
What has been so hard on us is that all month our internet service has been down during the day! It's our phone, our email, how we can make a bit of money, and they just won't fix it and I just don't know what else to do.

And what happens when you are trying your best? Your truck breaks down, and you pay 750.00 to fix it, and it doesn't get fixed really. And then you have to get it fixed again, and that was 150. and then you have to get it fixed again, and this time it is 340, and they say, Oh, it was your spider valve all along. And there just went your savings, but you have to have transportation if you are going to find a job, ever, if there are any...or sell at the flea market, or just anything. And you don't have health insurance, because that went with the job.

Do people really understand these sorts of challenges? If I had not been 'an extreme couponer' for the last 4 years or so, stockpiling, with chickens and a freezer full of deer, we WOULD be starving.

If I had it to do over, I'd tell people to FILE for disability if they ever need it. You never know when things will change.
edit on 26-7-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm a cashier at a well-known, large grocery store, and I ring up people with foodstamps everyday. I think we need to put even MORE of a stigma on foodstamps. SO many people abuse them, giving their cards to their kids so they can buy all their school friends candy, soda, energy drinks, etc. People swipe their EBT cards buying steak and tell me they're throwing barbecues, having parties, then they go get in their brand new 2011 car, while I bust my # to pay for a #ty older car. No it's not "okay" to be on foodstamps!!!! It is not NORMAL, nor should it be! It's a last resort, something that should only be done in serious desperate measures. Otherwise, you are stealing from people who really are getting off their asses to work, people with honor and integrity.

Personally, I believe in abolishing foodstamps altogether. The government is stealing money out of my paycheck to use for charity, when charity should be given freely.

Let the flaming begin.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have no idea what the big deal is.

I would be happy that I am getting free food because it allows me to buy other stuff with my real money.

Why do people look down on other people in the first place? Its so stupid.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Really, I feel for you. Sorry you have to endure your hardships. Sounds like your a real trooper in making ends meet. Wow, what I would not do to have to some great deer bologna. Ya must be from the country. i'm coming to your house for dinner!

God bless you and my prayers are with you.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I want to add something else.....as bad as we have it...our next door neighbor has zero income. I know he gets about 450 a month foodstamps but that is ALL he gets. He has teens too, and they get NOTHING anymore.

if you look at us from the outside, it's a middle class neighborhood with nice houses, and we have nice 'stuff' for the most part, but job loss has strained us. On the other side of me, the neighbor got a job in Florida. That's a nice house but it's been broken into twice now, and he just can't sell it.

We heard him the other day when he came back to check on it after the last break in- he was out in the yard saying WHY GOD WHY. We thought it was sorta funny but it really isn't.

I can't believe people that this has not hit, because it has hit us all here. I know that every man down this street used to work and would work if they could. I am getting really angry everytime I hear it is not a depression or we are headed for a depression or people could work if they would.

I guess that is the sort of crap the rest of the world tells themselves so they can feel superior and it helps them not face the fact that it COULD happen to them. i don't know how else to explain the lack of compassion that people of means are having for the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

That person in that new car might have bought that new car before they lost their job. It might be short lived. Or perhaps they do not own a car, but borrowed mom's so they could go shopping.
You do realize that, don't you? That you can't just look at a situation and know everything about it?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

I definitely agree with you for the most part. However, remember those that have end of life issues and grandma and grandpa.

It's the small segment of society that make it harder for the rest of us. Also remember, just because someone looks healthy, does not mean they don't have cancer, aids or any other devastating disease.

Yes, I sympathize what you must see daily. Don't be too quick to judge. I'd be sick to see what you do too.

Obviously there are those out there taking advantage of the system. Please don't let that skew your entire view on those in real need.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I know that sometimes people on food stamps get a bad rap. Sometimes deserved, sometimes not.

To those who deserve it and really need, stand up and be proud. It takes putting pride aside and doing what one has to do to support their family. I'm sure once one is back on their feet they will use some of their resources to help others less fortunate.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You never know when tough times are gonna come knocking. Which is why I personally have *always* lived on very little. I don't buy brand new cars, or nice houses, or flatscreens. I scrimp and save every little bit, and I have a very large nest egg that I can rely on in times when I need it. I guess working since I was 14 taught me the value of a dollar at a young age. So, just out of curiosity, how do you afford an internet connection? Why haven't you tried selling your computer? I don't think people really understand what "poverty" is anymore.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind

You never know when tough times are gonna come knocking. Which is why I personally have *always* lived on very little. I don't buy brand new cars, or nice houses, or flatscreens. I scrimp and save every little bit, and I have a very large nest egg that I can rely on in times when I need it. I guess working since I was 14 taught me the value of a dollar at a young age. So, just out of curiosity, how do you afford an internet connection? Why haven't you tried selling your computer? I don't think people really understand what "poverty" is anymore.

Are you insane? The Internet is the ONLY way I have to make money. It is our phone, our income, our everything.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

"food stamps and how they make people feel"

Compassionate and Angry at the same time.

So many live in bounty, so much is wasted. Not one single person on this planet should die just because they don't have a piece of bread. I am happy that food stamps are there to help those in need.

I work an honest job and pay my taxes. I struggle and budget between food, gas/petro, bills, and things I want. I see a LOT of people on food stamps and welfare that use that free money to double their money selling drugs. Or they use the food stamps and housing benefits while they spend their real money on nicer cars than I can afford. If I didn't have to pay for food or housing I would have a nice car too. If so many didn't abuse welfare, I would have more money because less taxes would be taken from my paycheck.

Foodstamps... I'm happy they help people... I'm angry that people abuse the system on my tax expense.
Love-Hate relationship.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join