It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.7 Quake on Washington Coast a Cause For Concern?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
Thats normal dude. happens all the time over there.

Seriously guys, if you are gonna report a quake in an area, dont look it up on the internet, but BE THERE, live there, so you would know how normal it is. There are TONS of places in the world where quakes happen several times a weak, they got used to it 200 years ago. They still live there cause the weather is great.

No use reporting all those small ones, basically stick to 7+, or preferably 8+

Okay! Thanks for the great advice. As soon as we have our 7+, 8+ (how about a 10+, which is what the cascadian subduction zone is capable of), I'll jump on here and warn everyone about it. Oh Wait! That's right....I probably won't have any internet access. Come to think of it...I probably wouldn't have a HOUSE and I just might be dead.

That's because I LIVE here.

Yes. We get earthquakes here. I understand that. Rather than just ignore them though, I choose to pay attention. That is how I know this one is NOT normal. I know from the past two plus years on this site that there are enough members who live in this region to make this thread worth writing. Hopefully nothing more will come of it.

ETA: Another little quake near Friday Harbor. Looks to be around a 2.0 or so. Before anyone says anything more....the reason I am commenting on these is that it is really begining to look like a bit of swarm here now. I'll be very interested to see these listed and how deep they are.
edit on 24-7-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Yeah, even though it's a "small" quake, it could be just the beginning of something bigger. This, of course, could always be the case.
My personal opinion, however, is that this should not be a problem. In no way would I minimize the potential dangers of any quake, but since there have been a few in and near Alaska, I think all will be fine.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
Thats normal dude. happens all the time over there.

Seriously guys, if you are gonna report a quake in an area, dont look it up on the internet, but BE THERE, live there, so you would know how normal it is. There are TONS of places in the world where quakes happen several times a weak, they got used to it 200 years ago. They still live there cause the weather is great.

No use reporting all those small ones, basically stick to 7+, or preferably 8+

Seriously 'dude', Westcoast has been on ATS for years now, writing fantastic threads (most of my personal Fragile Earth threads were written by her) She LIVES in WA, and reports on things that most of us wouldn't otherwise know about. Read her threads, you might learn a thing or two! A 3.7 IS small, but not, as others have said, insignificant. WA state, along with OR, CA & possibly up into Canada (as mentioned) could all be smashed if those 3.7's were unreported until the big one came. It's called being prepared.
edit on 25/7/2011 by bkaust because: punctuation.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I just had a magnitude 4 in my shorts westcoast! (sorry bro... couldn't resist)

Well.. I've been watching, as you know. San Andreas has been rocking pretty hard down here on the south end, its only logical for the north to adjust accordingly.

I'm happy with the mid sized adjustments we're getting in response to the major shifts occurring on the other end of the pacific plate... may the plate provide continued gentle adjustments!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Thank you for the friendly reminder to remain aware. I tend to let my guard down a bit after a week without paying any attention to earthquakes. I hope it never happens in our lifetime.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Wow thank you for the information!! I live here in the pacific northwest and didn't notice anything but again it was on the O.P. It really is an odd event for up here and to me does raise a little concern just looking at the type of subduction zone it is... Well s&f will keep an eye out!!

edit on 25-7-2011 by Sarahraeann because: Spelling :p

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Didn't see anyone mention the volcanic activity happening in California. Here's a video from Dutchsinse that brought it to my attention.

What do you guys think? Any relation to each other?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I live in Seattle and I really don't think there is much to be concerned about. Washington state has small earthquakes quite often.

Also....(for your information)......www.kirotv.com... ....and....

www.pnsn.org...
edit on 24-7-2011 by caladonea because: correction

edit on 24-7-2011 by caladonea because: correct

Hi...everyone....it just goes to show...that I should of read through all of the other posts...before I posted the above....(I am learning.....) I think maybe mother earth may be warning us.
edit on 24-7-2011 by caladonea because: add more

Mother Earth has been warning us for a while now, and alot more recently, but still the evidence gets swept under the carpet.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JDARK11

Hi Man,

I would like to hear what you suggest? - Tell everybody to rush out of the towns? - Kill and rape their way to safety?

Lol man there is no reason to be a fear monger because of a little earthquake. Have you all forgotten about Yellowstone already? - That is something to keep attention to I think.

Above is my personel meaning.

Thanks,

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
You do not need to be a scientist or have tons of data at your fingertips to come up with an idea of how things work.

I agree, a 3.7 is nothing. happens all the time. What I have been looking at is the fact that we have seen activity consisting of both earthquakes and Volcanic activity creeping along the Pacific ring of fire. While it is said here that yes 3,7's are normal and nothing to worry about it should not be ignored. It may be a sign, or we may just read into it. It could mean a large release of energy today, tomorrow, or in 30 years.
Previously what I have observed is activity takes place on opposite sides of the "Ring" from the last occurrence of energy release. Example: Mexico, then within days Japan.
Remember...The professionals are always telling us "they are not connected" Anyone who knows anything about the Earths crust and plates knows it is ALL connected. Good day

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr5cott

Hi,

Yes that is true. Everything is 100% connected. That is a fact.

Also what ever the clever guys says, they only say as little as possible.

Thanks,

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
3.7 is nothing so stop fearmongering.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by piotrburz

Heard heard

This post was plain stupid.. sorry.
edit on 25/7/11 by Hilltaker because: Stupidity

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I may be wrong but I thought that a lot of small quakes was a good thing seeing that it is relieving pressure on the faults rather than no quakes and one huge one to relieve the pressure, whereas a lot of small quakes near a volcano could mean an eruption may be soon.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dont know if someone already brought this up, but we had a similar quake here in so cal over the weekend as well.

I didnt really hear anything about it, but then again I dont really watch MSM.

I was working on a music project with a buddy, and even with our headphones on we both noticed it right away. It felt like we were on a boat, rocking back and forth, and I noticed the ceiling was swaying back and forth. Then we heard a loud crack, as if someone had kicked the door down.....

It was around 2am so I'm guessing most people were asleep, and those that werent were probably too drunk to notice.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
I may be wrong but I thought that a lot of small quakes was a good thing seeing that it is relieving pressure on the faults rather than no quakes and one huge one to relieve the pressure, whereas a lot of small quakes near a volcano could mean an eruption may be soon.

That was the thinking for years and years. However the USGS has changed that myth.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are never enough to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

Source - USGS - Earthquake Myths

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hilltaker
reply to post by JDARK11

Hi Man,

I would like to hear what you suggest? - Tell everybody to rush out of the towns? - Kill and rape their way to safety?

Lol man there is no reason to be a fear monger because of a little earthquake. Have you all forgotten about Yellowstone already? - That is something to keep attention to I think.

Above is my personel meaning.

Thanks,

Hey man,

What are you suggesting? That we ignore any and all warnings that do not have the same destructive potential as Yellowstone? Perhaps those of us who actually live in Washington state or are in the Pacific Northwest in general would like to have these alerts so we can take little steps to be prepared "just in case".

Why would we "rape and kill" on our way out of town? Go back to 4chan and post that infantile crap there where it belongs.

Westcoast - please ignore the ignorant and keep those of us who follow your posts informed. A little warning will maybe prompt some of us to get that extra water and food on the next grocery trip to have on hand just in case. And if nothing happens, we have a little extra food and water on hand - and there's nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Even though its a 3.7 earthquake.

I would take it extremely seriously,considering the recent earthquake activity all over the place.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thank you WestCoast!!! I grew up on the central Oregon coast, and this has been a concern for me for a very long time. I've noticed that this particular area of the Ring of Fire has been quiet...whilst the rest has been very cranky. Chile...New Zealand...Japan...Kamchacta region. There have even been a couple sizeable quakes continuing E/SE from Australia. Yet, we have had minor sporadic releases (or, build ups, mind you) in the recent past:

www.reuters.com...
Moderate 5.2 earthquake strikes off Oregon coast 2/7/2011

www.kmtr.com...
3/7/2011

globalrumblings.blogspot.com...
3/27/2011

www.kgw.com...
6/21/2011

Sorry if these don't show up as links, I don't post often.

Anyway, S&F!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, doesn't hurt to at least discuss the possibility I suppose. Thanks for at least phrasing the title and post in a reasonable and questioning manner rather than the typical "GIANT EARTHQUAKE INCOMING WASHINGTON 100% PROVED!!!!" attention grabbing doomtard prediction ridiculous claims style thats typical of this site.
I don't think anything will happen though and people are grasping at straws a bit too much lately, so hopefully nothing happens and no one gets hurt.

edit on 25-7-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join