It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop saying the "M" (midget) word!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain Obvious

Thanks, I'm sure there will always be some short people who will let ya throw them around for fun, so long as the pay is good.

Why don't people read threads?? Here try this one For people who don't read
edit on 21-7-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
en.wikipedia.org...

Midget is the original word, it's stupid to stop using it because someone arbitrarily finds it offensive.

On that subject, me and other above average height people everywhere find the word "tall" offensive. Please stop using it.

No, it isn't the origianl word:

I had made a classic mistake. I had confused the word midget with the way it was used by people who intended to make me feel bad. Ironically, midget is the newest term for people like us. It was coined by PT Barnum in the mid 1800's to describe members of the dwarf community who were the most socially acceptable, i.e., "well proportioned" little people who could entertain on the front stage for polite society. The rest of the dwarf community, those of us whose bodies are shaped differently enough to look more than just "really short," were relegated to the back stage or freak shows.

Tall isn't an offensive word. You meant to say you're ok with being labled a Giant Amazon Man!!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Retard, the N word, midgit, none of them were originally derogatory terms. "Midgit" still isn't. People just get offended by the truth because they aren't happy with who they are. (The N word is an exception) Heck, the vast majority(99%) of people who get offended by retard, aren't even retarded. If midgits don't want me to call them midgits, well I got a couple of other words to call them AND I'll still call them midgits.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

'Midget' isn't what they have historically been called. What was their first name if it wasn't midget?

It's stupid to stop using a word because someone arbitrarily decides it's offensive.

edit on 21-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
Tall isn't an offensive word. You meant to say you're ok with being labled a Giant Amazon Man!!

Neither is "midget", it means "a very diminutive person". Someone just arbitrarily decided that they thought it was offensive.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is it okay if Dewey Cox sings it?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-7-2011 by Rexamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I thought this is relevant,

See, you can still be offensive even without saying the word "midget".

(This song is satire if your satire meters are broken today).

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

No it is an effort to educate people. I see the word used often here, and in real life conversations, I let people know some consider it offensive. I don't see how i'm isolating anyone. People can take it or leave it.

Maybe we move in different social circles, but to be honest I can't remember the last time the subject of midgets came up in an everyday conversation.
Are you sure your not just talking to people that have a strange obsession with the vertically challenged?

edit on 21-7-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

READREADREAD I mentioned on page 1 that my son has Achondroplasia Dwarfism, so yes, i spend everyday talking to and about him, does that mean I'm obbsesed?
His size comes up about once a week or so, usually when I have to teach him a new way to do something that is challanging because of his size. About every other month or so he will feel sad about it for some reason or another, and then we talk about that.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
"I hate midgets - they're always breathing on your fly. I don't want anyone breathing on my fly unless they're serious."

- Redd Foxx

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

naaa, I'm just coming of the wall with some random stuff. I've never even met any little people

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Unless you have a huge beard (women too), live under a mountain and mine for precious metals far too greedily there is no way I'm calling you a dwarf.

Midget sounds about right.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
Stick to your guns curmudgeon!
And I wouldn't quit my day job for stand up.
Just sayin'

This is the rant section, fool. If you don't want to see people rant then get the hell out.

Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

NOSRED!!! I loved that song! Thanks for posting it!

To you and everyone else, I'll say it one more time incase anyone actually decides to read this thread:

I am not offended by the word midget, or any other word for that matter. I do not care if you think people are

overly sensitive. I am just someone who doesn’t like to go around making my self look like an @$$ saying

things I didn't know are hurtful to large groups of people, so I posted this information for the benefit of other non

rude people like me.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I don't want to label you but seriously; there are times your condition needs to be described and I don't want to play the "What do I call you today?"game.
reply to post by faithparadigm

You no longer have to play that game, I just told you what the majority of short statured people prefer to be referred to as. YOU'RE WELCOME

I don't have a condition...If you had read page 1 you would know that
got it?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheodoreBundy
Who cares what midgets think. They are too funny to be important.

I dont even believe this post, you got some balls posting stuff like this, you should be ashamed of yourself for this. And all of you who put stars by this, you all can "F" off as well, why hasnt a mod removed this? I guess the mods are just as inappropriate as you are, or should I say (NOT IMPORTANT) If you like making fun of people with disabilities I can only pray that something horrible happens to you in life, and you become disabled so people can laugh at you, and tell you how un important you are. Some people are just mindless animals, and you fit the bill just like them. Freedom of speech is one thing, but when you are making fun of people for things they cant help, and calling them "not important" just to be funny? Ya, you are so funny arent you. There'll be a special place for you in the lake of fire someday so happy swimin.

and mods, if you remove this post, do everyone else a little favor on here, and remove his offensive post as well. You follow?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have a son that is a dwarf, and he hates being called a Midget, or dwarf. He would rather be called a little person. There has been times where we have been in the stores and adult and kids stare at him and say stuff about him.This upset my son. I try to teach him not to let it bother him but it still does. My son is a kind-hearted individual, and even though he is small he tries to do more than his size will allow him to do. He goes out of his way to help others.

I don't understand why some parents don't educate their kids on those who are different.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Most little people do not like to be referred to as midgets. Some even feel very offended by the term, and consider it the equivalent of the “N” word. I’m not sure why they don’t like it, but knowing it’s offensive to them is enough for me to not use the word.

Most people with dwarfism prefer:
Short stature
Little person, or
Dwarf

I know a lot of people will say, it’s just a word, what does it hurt. And you are right, you can call people what ever you want. For those of you who don’t enjoy offending people with a disabilities one of the above mentioned words will be a better choice.

This isn’t really a “rant” because I’m not angry about it. I know most people aren’t even aware of the term being offensive. I’m just posting this to educate.

so dorf isn't insensitive?
yet midget is?

is this like the whole ER/GA debate?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerBellAmy

I don't understand why they don't either. It's really sad. I have always went out of my way to teach my children about all the different types of people in this world. I teach them it's only normal to notice if they see someone that looks different than they do, but they shouldn't stare, or laugh, or say mean things. I also teach my son(with achondroplacia) that people are going to say things to you about your size but don't be offended. I teach them that not all parents talk to there children like I do, and they don't know any better. Most of the time kids just ask my son "Why are you so little?" he usually says "It's the way I was made, and how I'm suppose to be". I teach him to appreciate these kind of questions, and to take the opportunity to educate another kid where his/her parents have failed.
And yea, my son likes prefers the Little Person name to the others as well.

reply to post by Lysergic

I don't know what er/ga is.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by TheodoreBundy
Who cares what midgets think. They are too funny to be important.

I dont even believe this post, you got some balls posting stuff like this, you should be ashamed of yourself for this. And all of you who put stars by this, you all can "F" off as well, why hasnt a mod removed this? I guess the mods are just as inappropriate as you are, or should I say (NOT IMPORTANT) If you like making fun of people with disabilities I can only pray that something horrible happens to you in life, and you become disabled so people can laugh at you, and tell you how un important you are. Some people are just mindless animals, and you fit the bill just like them. Freedom of speech is one thing, but when you are making fun of people for things they cant help, and calling them "not important" just to be funny? Ya, you are so funny arent you. There'll be a special place for you in the lake of fire someday so happy swimin.

and mods, if you remove this post, do everyone else a little favor on here, and remove his offensive post as well. You follow?

Thank you so much for that. The amount of stars on that post is starting to make me sick. I got over the post, but the fact that so many are starring it, i can't get over it.

Funny thing how people think "I have a lot of stars, so my posts are meaningful and my posts are useful"
HAHAHAHAHA yea right, this is a great example of how that idea is a load of BS.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

it is an effort to educate people. I see the word used often here, and in real life conversations, I let people know some consider it offensive. I don't see how i'm isolating anyone. People can take it or leave it.

...i know a midget who prefers midget to "little people" - becase - little people often refers to children and she is not a child nor is her intellect child-like... so, there ya go... one size does NOT fit all...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I love how they compare it to the "N" word.. is there a comparison? or is it just how they imagine it to be?

Black people have the right to be upset about that word. Where did the word "Midget" become derogatory? Is it based on some other slur? You'd think that 'Dwarf' would be a more demeaning word, right?

Get over yourselves, "M" words.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join