It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop saying the "M" (midget) word!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Most little people do not like to be referred to as midgets. Some even feel very offended by the term, and consider it the equivalent of the “N” word. I’m not sure why they don’t like it, but knowing it’s offensive to them is enough for me to not use the word.

Most people with dwarfism prefer:
Short stature
Little person, or
Dwarf

I know a lot of people will say, it’s just a word, what does it hurt. And you are right, you can call people what ever you want. For those of you who don’t enjoy offending people with a disabilities one of the above mentioned words will be a better choice.

This isn’t really a “rant” because I’m not angry about it. I know most people aren’t even aware of the term being offensive. I’m just posting this to educate.
edit on 21-7-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Who cares what midgets think. They are too funny to be important.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Watch it buddy, "vertically challenged" people have feelings too.

They might be adorably small, but they're tough as nails considering the cards they've been dealt.

I'd like to see you spend a week in a midget's shoes.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I would never call anyone anything that might possibly offend them, even though it goes against my nature, but.. you know what?

It's unfair to the rest of us who aren't "politically correct" and are unsure how to talk to someone of short stature - or anyone who has some form of ailment. We don't know if that black guy over there is cool with us saying the N-word around him or not, so we just don't do it, unless we become bros and it suddenly becomes OK to do it, for SOME reason.

I get the feeling people just like to argue. Sure, people can play the race card all they want, but when they're with friends and family, they can talk all the racist stuff they want.

I'm Russian, so when acquaintances or strangers make references to vodka and potatoes, I don't get offended. I laugh, cuz it's actually funny, just as if a family or friend said it.. so why do others have to enforce political correctness on everyone? You aren't really educating so much as isolating, in my opinion.

Instead, people should stop being so sensitive, and get to laughing at themselves first.

...jeez, this almost deserved it's own thread.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheodoreBundy

I care what they think. Yes some are funny, and some are rude jerks too.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

I'm Russian, so when acquaintances or strangers make references to vodka and potatoes, I don't get offended. I laugh, cuz it's actually funny, just as if a family or friend said it.. so why do others have to enforce political correctness on everyone? You aren't really educating so much as isolating, in my opinion.

No it is an effort to educate people. I see the word used often here, and in real life conversations, I let people know some consider it offensive. I don't see how i'm isolating anyone. People can take it or leave it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
What a random thread..
are you a midget?

One bit of advice I was told years ago, by a wise old soul.. He said "there are 2 types of people you can't trust in life.. Midgets and people with Ginger hair"
I didn't take him seriously, although he was deadly serious.. But I must admit Hus advice did make me laugh..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

No, I'm not a little person. I just read the word here a few times in the last couple of days. And that's great advice!! Had me smiling

edit i read the advice wrong
I thought it said "you can trust"...Not good advice, but, still funny.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

No, I'm not a little person. I just read the word here a few times in the last couple of days. And that's great advice!! Had me smiling

edit i read the advice wrong
I thought it said "you can trust"...Not good advice, but, still funny.

To be honest I wasn't aware they were offended by this word.. I was always under the impression.. Dwarfs and midgets were 2 different things.. The difference being the size of their heads In Relation to their bodies.. One I think dwarfs are all In proportion and midgets have big heads and little bodies..

Are you actually certain this word is offensive or is this just your opinion?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I am sure it is offensive to many, but not all. Dwarfs have short arms and legs, and short statured people, formally known as midgets, are proportionate.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Aren't dwarfs those mythical creatures that carry a battle axe like out of LoTR? If I were a small person I wouldn't wanna be called a dwarf.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
MIDGET !!! dont they come with a pot of gold ??
edit on 21/7/11 by meatpie40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Is calling them Shetland people offensive?

I wouldn't care if they called me Clydesdale man...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Its just words, if people are offended by words than they need to grow the hell up. I have had people talk crap to me and degrade me all my life because I'm short, pale, red headed... I'm a ginger. I don't care what the word is. Everyone wants to be equal so stop letting simple words from simple people divide us... If its used in a derogatory fashion towards someone maybe i can see getting mad. But I've been the shortest person in my group of friends for years, I've been called midget, dwarf, shrimp, tiny Tim lol. I don't let it get to me though. So everyone offended by words, grow up and deal with it! Let people joke and learn to laugh at it, and it will decrease the racial and social tensions. And let the closed minded serious ones be closed minded they aren't worth the hassle.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Hmm. I'm not necessarily going to disagree with your intention, but I am going to disagree with your assumptions. I work with a midget, who happens to be one of the most kind-hearted individuals I've ever met. On several occasions, I've been present while people tried to poke fun at him. He takes it extremely well, to say the least. However, I have quickly come to learn that he prefers to be called a midget, (as there's absolutely nothing wrong with that term) as opposed to a "little person," or a "dwarf." Both of these terms (as well as the others, I would imagine) seem to be deeply offensive to him. Obviously, I cannot speak for any other people suffering from this condition, but I would agree that this is enough information to render your assumption false.

Please get back to me, OP.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

Hmmm, ask you co-worker if other LPs are offended by the word. My son has achondroplasia dwarfism, my family and I are members of the LPA, I've spent 11 years learning about dwarfism, and have met and gotten to know many people who are effected by it. Like I said before, Not all little people are thin skinned. But for some reason A LOT of short people consider it really offensive and refer to it as the "M" word. I respect that, and don't use it. I am, however, not offended by the word, and I have taught my son not to be offended by it, or any other word mean people will call him in his life.

I'm not assuming anything, btw, It's a fact Jack. Get back to me poster

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by meatpie40

Your thinking of leprechaun's.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by meatpie40

No that's leprechauns...Like my fellas ex.
Money grabbing bitch she is.

Anyway, I suppose Oompa lumpas off the menu too?

My mother is obsessed with those reality programmes with so called little people in them. I'm not sure what to make of it. I've known a couple locally for years (sadly though both passed away in the past 5 years). Obviously the condition is apparent, but I've never had such strange almost unsettling fascination as my mother has..They are just ordinary peeps to me. Though in all honesty you had to be completely devoid of a funny bone if you didn't chuckle watching the couple get taken for a drag twice a day by their 4 huge great danes.

edit on 21-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I spoke to Snow White and she concurs, her seven dwarfs hate it when they are referred to as midgets. So there you have it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Anyway, I suppose Oompa lumpas off the menu too?

LOL, I'm not sure how they feel about that one. I do need to have my son watch the wizard of oz, though... He needs to be prepared for being called a lollipop kid.
Seriously...You're right, just people, only smaller

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join