It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop saying the "M" (midget) word!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm more than willing to be sensitive and call them by the term that most pleases them so long as we can still toss them for fun.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
when will people learn all these racial slurs are just noises made up by humans. same thing goes for profanity. it doesn't mean sh!t. they are not tangible and only exist in our minds. life is just one big cluster f*ck of ethics. get over it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
All we're going to do is chase the politically correct dragon till we all have to walk around blind folded pretending there is no difference between anyone. Midget isn't an offensive word. I believe what really offends them is being labeled and identified by something as insignificant as their physical stature.
Look at the progression that led to idiocy like "handi-capable". Lame>cripple>disabled>handicapped>et al. I'm not sure the exact order or if I'm missing any but the point stands. We're now to use the most PC term till that one becomes "offensive". What really is offensive is being labeled over something over which they have no control.
I don't want to label you but seriously; there are times your condition needs to be described and I don't want to play the "What do I call you today?"game.
Get it?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
What a random thread..
are you a midget?

One bit of advice I was told years ago, by a wise old soul.. He said "there are 2 types of people you can't trust in life.. Midgets and people with Ginger hair"
I didn't take him seriously, although he was deadly serious.. But I must admit Hus advice did make me laugh..

Interesting...a wise old soul once told me not to trust a man in a cape.
And if he has horns..well then run like hell in the other direction.
People are people. Size only matters if you don't have a gun.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm sticking with the name ''midgets'' as it's the name I've always known for them. I'm not changing it just because someone all of a sudden decides it's offensive. Plus, they get free holidays as they can be smuggled into suitcases so life isn't that bad for them, surely?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
I'm more than willing to be sensitive and call them by the term that most pleases them so long as we can still toss them for fun.

So horribly incorrect and funny too.
I have to leave this thread before I find myself laughing.
Reasons to be grateful...(and there is a long list of people I am glad I am not)
But everyone born who has not harmed another...is deserving of respect.

Will take the OPs advice and try not to use the word.
Didn't know it was incorrect or even that dwarf was ok.
I learn something new everyday and thank him or her for the enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
I'm sticking with the name ''midgets'' as it's the name I've always known for them. I'm not changing it just because someone all of a sudden decides it's offensive. Plus, they get free holidays as they can be smuggled into suitcases so life isn't that bad for them, surely?

Stick to your guns curmudgeon!
And I wouldn't quit my day job for stand up.
Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Midget is the original word, it's stupid to stop using it because someone arbitrarily finds it offensive.

On that subject, me and other above average height people everywhere find the word "tall" offensive. Please stop using it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I am not a little person,but I am short I am 5'1" tall.
The only way I grow is wide not tall.
Those commercials about keeping your little pumpkins
safe with 4'11" and under needing a booster seat.I am only
3" away from needing a booster seat in my car.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It seems that people are getting offended by everything these days.We stop using words because someone,somewhere in the world is getting offended by it.

"There are no dirty words,only dirty minds"

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheodoreBundy
Who cares what midgets think. They are too funny to be important.

I say....most people care...they are fellow human beings and they are important.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Why do we have to call them anything? They are fellow human beings...that happen to be shorter than most.

Why not call them by each individuals given name. ....you know the legal name they go by.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

No it is an effort to educate people. I see the word used often here, and in real life conversations, I let people know some consider it offensive. I don't see how i'm isolating anyone. People can take it or leave it.

Maybe we move in different social circles, but to be honest I can't remember the last time the subject of midgets came up in an everyday conversation.
Are you sure your not just talking to people that have a strange obsession with the vertically challenged?

edit on 21-7-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegrandpotato
Its just words, if people are offended by words than they need to grow the hell up.

"grow the hell up"? C'mon man, not the best choice of words... And trust me, it has nothing to do with being grown up. It probably has to do with the vast association of the word midget with humor. Something to be used as entertainment for us regular folk. So its not just the word, its the association. Like the word "'n-word'" is associated with a slave, less than human. Someone to be used as we normal people see fit. Let me ask you all, have you ever known what its like to have others laughing at you behind your back? Even though they may be nice to you to your face? Well, when a little person hears you use the word midget, they never know if you are giggling inside or being genuine. If you didn't know any better I'm sure most of them would understand and wouldn't even say anything or have any animosity toward you. But, having read this thread, you now know and you should not use a term that is considered derogatory. Just because they may not be able to kick your ass like a black person would if you called them a "'n-word'", doesn't mean you should show any less respect for another human being just because your personal safety isn't in danger.

Personally, I would love it if people didn't have to worry about such seemingly trivial matters, but if you are gonna offend little people then why single them out? Why not just say whatever the hell comes to mind without any care for who might be offended? Ooh! I know! I know! *raises my hand higher than anyone else* It's because manners are the lubricant between people, who are like two metal parts coming into contact as in a machine, and without lubrication the machine breaks down as the two parts grind eachother down to dust. With proper lubrication, the parts can cooperate quite nicely.
edit on 21-7-2011 by ZackMorris because: sp

edit on 21-7-2011 by ZackMorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

"I am not a little person,but I am short I am 5'1" tall"

You are what is refered to as a "Cusper". Someone that is just a bit to tall to be a midget but a little to short to be consitered a normal person.

Sorry for your condition. I myself suffer from being to tall. I have to bend down ever so slightly for everything. Needless to say my back is always in knots.

edit on 21-7-2011 by TheInterceptor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So you're saying that these folks prefer being called a Dwarf? I find that hard to believe actually. Have you asked any about this or is it just an assumption?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
Most little people do not like to be referred to as midgets. Some even feel very offended by the term, and consider it the equivalent of the “N” word. I’m not sure why they don’t like it, but knowing it’s offensive to them is enough for me to not use the word.

Most people with dwarfism prefer:
Short stature
Little person, or
Dwarf

I know a lot of people will say, it’s just a word, what does it hurt. And you are right, you can call people what ever you want. For those of you who don’t enjoy offending people with a disabilities one of the above mentioned words will be a better choice.

This isn’t really a “rant” because I’m not angry about it. I know most people aren’t even aware of the term being offensive. I’m just posting this to educate.
edit on 21-7-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

I know a Midget that hates the term little person or little people. He actually requests the term midget. He finds it accurate and not as demeaning as dwarf. Also the term "Little Person" makes him feel less that a person.

Just throwing my two cents out there.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I were parked at Goodwill next to a small scooter
A little person came out of the store dressed in tiny levis and a leather jacket put on his tiny helmet ..stood on the scooter (he could not reach the seat ) and drove off standing up like rideing a skateboard

He worked the large things to fit his small stature and probably could not care less about how funny it looked .

The little people have the same hopes dreams and needs as we do...and a lot more medical problems ..if they want to be called little people then so be it !

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
where would "Eric The Midget" aka. ETM be without the "M" word?

ACK ACK!!

Bye for now

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
But it's so fun to toss around!

hurrrrrrrr

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join