It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Non-Africans Part Neanderthal, Genetics Confirm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

If your heritage is non-African, you are part Neanderthal, according to a new study in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution. Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings. Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal's Department of Pediatrics and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center conducted the study with his colleagues. They determined some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals, but only in people of non-African heritage.

well that is interesting. my grandaw can be pretty uncouth but i had no idea great great great grandmaw was an actual neanderthal. it certainly helps explain why holiday dinners are so dysfunctional.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
oops, me sorry.
me forgot to post link.

news.discovery.com...

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Essential viewing.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well weren't Neanderthals native to Europe? Hence the thicker bodies and body hair.

I am surprised to hear that EVERYONE outside of Africa is part Neanderthal. I would think that some outside of Africa would not have those genetics.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

I wonder what sort of extrapolations can be made from this discovery?
Didn't neanderthals kill off the reigning indigenous species, or at least try.
Am I confusing my humanoids or homonids or whatever the blazes they are called.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

Check the video I posted. It's long, but it'll give you a proper idea on how Neanderthals looked and WHY humans HAD to hunt them to extinction.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So?

The hunched over knuckle dragging image was actually from an old man hunched over from arthritis. They may not have been evolved as we imagine it but who are are we to judge?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

i am still watching the video which is interesting, but what do you think about the scientific findings that all non africans have neanderthal genes?

must have been some really lonely winters for the first humans who entered europe...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Alright... who's ancestors were doing the naughty with the neanderthals??

Was it the French?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This has been known for years and it has been said that it has helped the progress of all of those with the Neanderthal gene.

Its funny how those with Neanderthal genes seem to be smarter and we all know that the Neanderthals were not stupid like we once believed.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Get to close to the end of the video. Neanderthals males didn't just hunt humans for meat...well, not the edible kind.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There has been studies that show those of African and Chinese descent are related.

So are the Chinese excluded as well?

And what of Native Americans...?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
guess that explains why we cant jump or dance
after painting Neanderthals as brutes for so long as guess we stuck our foot in that one

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

ahh i see now.
well thats creepy.
so does this make all that racial theory stuff different? i mean that some humans have neanderthal genes and some don't.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Probably not anything significant, especially for Americans. A lot of people have white, black, asian, and hispanic within them and don't even know it.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

Essential viewing.

My God... Im part super intelligent Yeti....

That explains a lot

edit on 18-7-2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

That video isn't very accurate. Hell, it isn't accurate at all. I'd like to see that guy's credentials, because everything he has in that video is completely wrong.

For one the human and neanderthal skulls were nearly identical except for the brow ridge and a slightly bigger brain case in the neanderthal skull. Secondly, neanderthals originated in Africa and migrated into the Middle East and Europe. We have fossil evidence of this. Humans and neanderthals split from homo heidelbergensis some 500,000 years ago.
The guy also thinks that neanderthal would have thicker body hair because they lived in Europe during the Ice Age (which was only for a fraction of their life-span). This isn't true at all because they also had the same level of tools that humans had and also had clothing.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

Probably not anything significant, especially for Americans. A lot of people have white, black, asian, and hispanic within them and don't even know it.

but most would be predominantly of one race, in the most part

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wow, so it is official now, although I am sure there will be new developments soon.

One of the big questions I consider when I think about the Neanderthals, is how did they survive when homo sapiens sapiens were almost completely wiped out about 70,000 years ago due to a huge eruption of the caldera at Yellowstone Park. It seems that neanderthals would have been even more vulnerable.

If this cross breeding was so common, there should be a fossil record to demonstrate it. Could Cro Magnon be the example of the cross between sapien sapien and neanderthal?

www.proof-of-evolution.com...

It seems the timeline suggests this.

Neanderthal - 230k-30k ya, Cro Magnon - 50k-20k ya, and Homo Sapien Sapien - 195k-present.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Wow, so it is official now, although I am sure there will be new developments soon.

One of the big questions I consider when I think about the Neanderthals, is how did they survive when homo sapiens sapiens were almost completely wiped out about 70,000 years ago due to a huge eruption of the caldera at Yellowstone Park. It seems that neanderthals would have been even more vulnerable.

If this cross breeding was so common, there should be a fossil record to demonstrate it. Could Cro Magnon be the example of the cross between sapien sapien and neanderthal?

www.proof-of-evolution.com...

It seems the timeline suggests this.

Neanderthal - 230k-30k ya, Cro Magnon - 50k-20k ya, and Homo Sapien Sapien - 195k-present.

1, the eruption 70,000 years ago was Mount Toba, not Yellowstone (but it was still a supervolcano).
2, Cro-magnons are modern homo sapiens, just a specific "tribe" that lived in Southern France.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join