It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you support vigilantism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Recently there was a thread on a Monsanto employee being beaten up by Indian farmers for selling them bad crops, and many people seem pleased about it. So I was wondering if we could discuss vigilantism, or basically taking the law in your own hands. Is it acceptable, or is it something we should shun? I believe in the latter because I believe in the Bible which says that the meek shall inherit the earth. Basically I believe we must strive to have higher principles than people we percieve of having done evil. Often vigilantism is done based on what one percieves to be evil, and they take the law in their own hands because they judge and feel that justice was not served. But no one is all knowing, and I believe in the end the judgement on the man who sees himself as noble and just will reveal his mistakes and he will suffer dearly for having convicted innocent people. Bsically the bible as I see it discourages vigilantim, leaving vengeance for God.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Considering it takes the police forever to respond to incidents, that they will not show up until after the crime is over.
Yes, I support vigilantism 110%, and feel every city or at the least each state should have a "Punisher", guarding them.

Then again, self defense and an understanding of the Second Amendment, which says it is "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms", ought to be practiced by all law abiding citizens. Because then, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Considering it takes the police forever to respond to incidents, that they will not show up until after the crime is over.
Yes, I support vigilantism 110%, and feel every city or at the least each state should have a "Punisher", guarding them.

Then again, self defense and an understanding of the Second Amendment, which says it is "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms", ought to be practiced by all law abiding citizens. Because then, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What about people who bomb abortion clinics and believe they are standing up for justice? Often justice served is what the vigilante believes is just.
edit on 18-7-2011 by 547000 because: Corrected spelling mistake

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I would think that it depends on the alleged crime, the perceived miscarriage of justice and level or lack of punishment. A lot of time the "Justice" system is not only blind but deaf, stupid and uncaring dispensing "justice" based on how good of a lawyer you can afford.

Example, should current politicians be punished for the debt debacle that took a decade or more. My answer would be yes because all they seem to care about is getting more money, perks and re-election. My preference would be to string up the worst spenders to try and scare the rest. Our big problem, staying with my example, is we have professional politicians and not citizen representatives.

The morality of a Spidey/Batman/Superman view is they caused problems for citizens and themselves by not killing the bad guy(s) on the spot. Sometime the "Justice" system just gets in the way. They caught bad guy(s) committing crime, just judge them on the spot and impose sentence.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Yeah, that is "terrorism", and n o t a law abiding act...

So those people, who would bomb clinics should be "punished" if you know what I mean.
But that is a different topic, and best started in it's own thread. This thread is about do you support vigilantism, not are abortion clinic bombers... etc.

But since you touched on that subject, I only support abortion if it is a rape case.
Other wise I am pro life, and every one who reads this should thank their mother.

Because she obviously was too.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
reply to post by 547000

Yeah, that is "terrorism", and n o t a law abiding act...

So those people, who would bomb clinics should be "punished" if you know what I mean.
But that is a different topic, and best started in it's own thread. This thread is about do you support vigilantism, not are abortion clinic bombers... etc.

But since you touched on that subject, I only support abortion if it is a rape case.
Other wise I am pro life, and every one who reads this should thank their mother.

Because she obviously was too.

Vigilantes take the law into their own hands. I'm pretty sure the bombers think they are standing for justice by killing murderers, justice that the law doesn't stand for but they personally feel is just.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Sometimes..

I think there is a limited need for vigilantes.
But I think that they can eventually get carried away, and act where they should not if allowed to run amok.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
"Do you support vigilantism?" Yup. Without "watchers" to keep tab on thingys, I sure as heck wouldn't know what monkey business people are capable of doing to themselves and others. But when it gets annoying or too violent, I don't like.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The world would be better off with more vigilantism. This is all.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0663e2760ae3.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

one word....Krystallnacht.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Do I support the forming of mobs to seek out justice after the fact? No.

Do I support an individual using any means necessary up to and including deadly force to stop an immediate threat against person or property? Yes.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I support vigilantes.
I do not support out of control lynch mobs.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I'll be the first to say that I'm a hypocrite in this regard.
Anyone else, I'd say no. It's the law we should obey.
Me personally, if one of my loved ones was injured and needed some of my personal brand of justice, the I'd have no inhibition to go after the SOB.

Just being honest, kids. No moral high ground for me.
Just a red-blooded hypocrite.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzerMe personally, if one of my loved ones was injured and needed some of my personal brand of justice, the I'd have no inhibition to go after the SOB.

I agree, generally I am against it especially of the lynch mob variety. However, I can assure you consequences me damned if anyone hurt my little girl there would be no need for a trail and justice as I would dole it out myself.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by beezzerMe personally, if one of my loved ones was injured and needed some of my personal brand of justice, the I'd have no inhibition to go after the SOB.

I agree, generally I am against it especially of the lynch mob variety. However, I can assure you consequences me damned if anyone hurt my little girl there would be no need for a trail and justice as I would dole it out myself.

I would not consider the defense of your little girl vigilantism.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here is a thought. Man is accused of raping a teenager. Lynch mob kills man. Man is later found out to be innocent. Teenage girl turns out to be covering up getting pregnant by boyfriend. Should every single person of that lynch mob (aka vigilantes) be charged with murder at that point?

There is a reason for a proper trial. There is a reason for defense attorneys. They are there to make sure the prosecution does their job. Even with the current checks and balances, innocent people still go to jail. Now, you add personal perception into the mix - worked up by sensationalism in the media, and people are being convicted by the populace on crimes they are later found to be innocent of.

If vigilante justice is allowed, we then move our society into a state of anarchy - who is then held accountable for wrongful death? Who is held accountable for fradulent charges?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
No

I don't. What if I am wrong? Do I get to undo the "justice" I took up?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have no problem with 'vigilante' groups or individuals working to apprehend criminals and turn them over to the relevent authorities, however I do have a problem with 'vigilantes' administering punishment as they saw fit with no way to regulate their actions.
edit on 31-7-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm all for "on-the-spot" vigilantism.

If I see someone doing something wrong to someone else in front of me (hitting, beating, robbing, etc), I'm all for tackling that person and doing just enough damage to stop them (not enough to get me arrested for "excessive force"). If they fight back and my life is in danger? Then by all means I'll defend myself as necessary...

If I see someone rob a store, I'm all for chasing them and dragging them back by the scruff of the neck.

But premeditated killing under the name of vigilantism is "murder".

Going out and hunting down an "accused"? That should stay as illegal as all HLLL...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would if it was on
CASEY Anthony..

We can not pick and choose though
because some people obviously think
she is innocent..

So in reality no..

I would LOVE to see her get a good bat to the head..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join