It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you support vigilantism?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Completely agree. Vigilantism is just an "emotional" response to a crime. How many people with their pitchfork and noose are critically thinking of justice? Besides justice being retaliation for something, there is no justice. Just an eye for a supposed eye. Our criminal and civil justice system may not be the best, but it allows level-headed individuals to solve the crime.

Do I support vigilantism? Never. One must have a calm and level head when making rational decisions, and vigilantism is an emotional reaction to an action.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

'Considering it takes the police forever to respond to incidents, that they will not show up until after the crime is over. "

By this comment it seems more like you support defending those that need help, that is not vigilanteism. In fact even killing someone in the defense of another can be considerred legal. Vigilanteism is many times someone taking it upon themselves to be judge jusry and executioner (after the fact just as you were complaining police show up after the fact) and many times without all of the facts.

"Then again, self defense and an understanding of the Second Amendment, which says it is "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms", ought to be practiced by all law abiding citizens. Because then, we wouldn't be having this discussion."

Now I believe in the right to bear arms but it is fooling yourself to think if everyone did we would not have crime. We also have an actual historical representation of this during the wild west. Pretty much everyone had guns and crime was just as bad if not worse then. Humans are going to commit crimes regardless of who has weapons, even going further back when everyone carried swords for protection that dd not deter crime really.

There have been basically Vigilante gangs in the past created to protect their neighborhoods which at first seems good. Eventually they became worse than the gangs they were protecting their neighborhood from.

I'm against vigilanteism but all for protecting those in need when they need it.
edit on 31-7-2011 by seeker1977 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Nice post TLomon!
Logic and reason seem to go out the window here. This is why I fear society more than TPTB. Because when TSHTF people WILL react like a group of sharks in a feeding frenzy, even attacking their own kind.
Crowd mentality is very dangerous and emotional , one can easily be sweep up in it or swepted aside.
If there is no logic or reasoning or law and order everyone would be killing anyone who we feel wronged us in some way. Should we kill the kid that took your holloween punkin off your front porch, and smashed in the street, or the kid who rides his bike cross your lawn. Should we kill the old man that cut infront of you on the freeway or the old lady that backed out of a parking space and almost hit you. How about killing a referee at a game that makes a bad call or a celebrity who voices their moronic political views. Where do you draw the line ? There is no logic or reasoning in vigilantism people .

Helping someone in need is not the same as inflicting vigilanty justice.
edit on 31-7-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I support vigilantism, because it comes from the heart of the community, from the people who really know what's going on, and from the ones who do it because they really care - not just because it's their job.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
...i do not support vigilantism nor will i give credence to the definitions created by those who support their own style of vigilantism... there are too many off-kilter people who believe the violence they commit (or would like to commit) is a good thing that puts them above those they hate...

...a few examples: aryan nation - kkk - timothy mcveigh types - anders the norway shootist and that ilk - people who want to take a bat to casey anthony's head - people who brag about beating their kids, then brag about how they would torture anyone they caught messing with their kids...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
To all those in favor of vigilanty justice....

Be careful that someone doesn't rat you out as a pedophile, rapist or thief by mistake and the vigilantes **** you up real good.

I'm not saying that the American system of justice is ok....with the people with money getting preferential treatment...but vigilantism is the first stage of anarchy, blood and chaos for everyone.

But throw the last vestiges of civilization away...I don't care. Bring on the cleansing!

edit on 31-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's only ever acceptable if the person you're attacking is committing an actual crime/wrongdoing, if that person is also gonna be dropped off at the local police station and charged with their crimes and maybe also if they had a pretty kickass costume and alias. You wouldn't wanna brag to your fellow inmates about being taken in by a fat man in ill fitting underwear or a bodysuit who went by the name of Captain Anus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join