It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active-duty troops to march in Gay Pride Parade.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

As the U.S. military inches toward the end of its “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, hundreds of service members — both gay and straight — plan to march as a group in San Diego’s gay Pride Parade on Saturday.

Ready or not it looks like "Don't ask, Don't tell" is coming to a end.

About 350 people have signed up for the military-themed parade entry. About 70 percent are active-duty servicemembers and the majority are gay, Sala estimated. They will not march in uniform, which — especially under “don’t ask, don’t tell,” which banned openly gay service — could be a career-ending move. Instead, they will wear T-shirts emblazoned with Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines.

I am sure there will be many more than 350 people.

According to Sala, one gay active-duty officer told him: I’m not as brave as you are. Until recently, the danger of serving as an openly gay sailor was very real for Sala. Swept up in the emotion of last year’s political debate over ending the military’s gay ban, the then-petty officer decided to reveal his sexuality during an interview with a San Diego television station.

I will not judge anyone willing to fight for my freedom.

In October, a federal judge in Riverside struck down the 17-year-old “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy as unconstitutional. Days later, a higher court stayed that decision when the U.S. Justice Department appealed. Then, after a tough political battle, Congress in December passed a repeal in a lame-duck session. But the change didn’t immediately apply. The military has spent months briefing troops about the coming policy shift. The law demands that the defense secretary and the president certify that repeal will not harm military readiness.

Don't these men and women deserve to at least have clear rules?

That group’s director, Army veteran Aubrey Sarvis, said the San Diego contingent’s parade plans give him “some concerns.” However, he added, “having said that, they are not in uniform, they are not speaking, no one knows who is gay or who’s straight. I think the risks are minimal for the service members.”

Figures...

They plan to present two riderless horses, one draped in the American flag and the other covered in a rainbow flag.

Nice touch with the rainbow flag. Thank you to all of the troops.

I could really care less who you sleep with. Thank you for your service.

Local Story
edit on 15-7-2011 by whyamIhere because: add link

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Don't be ignorant. Its funny you mention the KKK, because you sound just like them.
Edit: People have anal sex regardless if they are gay or straight. People sin regardless if they are gay or straight. All of your hate will be done with relatively soon.

And any "in your face" factor would be a response to the public giving them crap for a very LONG time. It mirrors the early Black Panthers and the Civil Rights Movement. Your equivalent back then would be a hate spewing racist yelling at black schoolgirls and not wanting blacks in your face. Bravo.
edit on 15-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I must say good for them gays have been dieing in war since the start of time
let them come out i dont care if they are or not
its about time this world looks at them like everybody elese
my wife had a gay uncle that died in korea his army friends did not care when he died saving them
weather its wright with god or not i am not there judge

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't understand the hate towards anyone willing to put on the uniform and place their life on the line for what few freedoms we have left..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
IDEA CAME TO MIND:

Why dont we make a straight pride parade.. Really.. They have gay pride bi pride abstinent pride, and whatever kinda sexual pride you can think of... We should make a straight pride parade..

I really dont care who anyone sleeps with, I am sure alot of people dont care.. its not like we running around screaming who you be sleeping with yo...

Anyway..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm sure the military will put an end to them marching in a gay pride parade.

I honestly don't see a commander allowing his/her troops participating in an event like this while advertising the military.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
IDEA CAME TO MIND:

Why dont we make a straight pride parade.. Really.. They have gay pride bi pride abstinent pride, and whatever kinda sexual pride you can think of... We should make a straight pride parade..

I really dont care who anyone sleeps with, I am sure alot of people dont care.. its not like we running around screaming who you be sleeping with yo...

Anyway..

I don't get the whole pride in sexuality either..

Me being gay on the pie chart that is me is such a small percentage...I'm also an proud uncle, animal activist, a gear head, a master gardener, an awesome cook...my sexuality comes in like 23 on the list of things I associate myself as..

With that said...I do not begrudge anyone, even if I don't agree with it to exercise their 1st amendment rights..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
I'm sure the military will put an end to them marching in a gay pride parade.

I honestly don't see a commander allowing his/her troops participating in an event like this while advertising the military.

Ha! I dare to let them try...it's not 2004..it's still a wedge issue, but this time the movement has the majority of the public opinions support...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Refer to comment above regarding Civil Rights....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

You dare to let them try?

All the commander has to do is tell them that active duty personnel are barred from participating in the event. Military personnel don't have the option of doing what they want to do when off duty.

We are told where we can and cannot go on a daily basis. Ask any soldier here and they will tell you that the base they are on has a list of places they cannot visit and sometimes are prohibited to attend or participate in certain events.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Why do the throw the parades?

Because of people who say things like you just did.

People are what they are.. I may not be gay.. but people should be able to be proud of what or who they are, and not be told there is something wrong with them.

Especially when they volunteered their lives to protect those people who tell them it's wrong.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think if you serve my country with honor.

I should not tell you who to sleep with.

The article mentions the frustrations over the current laws.

I will not be attending this parade.

But the people that fight for my right to have a parade.

They should be allowed to have their own celebration.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

I'm an army brat...been around the military my whole life...I know today..all they care about is the publics opinion..the gay rights movement now has the majority of public support in every reputable poll (excluding faux snooze). Plus, we have the commander in chief on our side...you old narrow minded bigots are loosing ground faster than ever before..and to you fools..I say good riddance!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor

I'm an army brat...been around the military my whole life...I know today..all they care about is the publics opinion..the gay rights movement now has the majority of public support in every reputable poll (excluding faux snooze). Plus, we have the commander in chief on our side...you old narrow minded bigots are loosing ground faster than ever before..and to you fools..I say good riddance!

1. Who cares if you are a military brat.

2. The army doesn't care about public opinion, only the politicians who run the military worry about that.

3. The commander in chief has nothing to do with this.

4. I am not a narrow minded bigot. I think it would behoove the military to let gays serve openly as long as they conduct themselves in a military manner. That means guys not running around in wigs and dresses while wearing unauthorized jewelry.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

Ya I dont get the whole "HEY LOOK I R TEH GAY!!!" thing..

I think its probably cause I have a high shock tolerance... Maybe cause I have hung around gay people most of my life.. Or maybe I am just weird... Either way I don't see what the big point is people screaming hey look Im gay accept me..

I figure it like this people who do these type of parades are attn whores of sorts, they get off knowing they are doing something wrong in societies eyes and enjoy the fact they are rubbing it in their faces or something..

I really don't see any other point in them having a parade other than this fact.. Have you seen one of these parades? I will tell you this most, most of the people in these parades look nothing like they gay people I know/knew throughout my life..

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I think the Gay people feel like the have won a victory.

Anybody that feels oppressed will celebrate a perceived victory.

My post focused more on the Military angle.

These men and women will not act that way.

If you volunteer and are willing to take a bullet for me.

You deserve to march in any parade you want.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I serve with someone who is openly progressive. After that, the whole gay thing is "meh"

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

4. I am not a narrow minded bigot. I think it would behoove the military to let gays serve openly as long as they conduct themselves in a military manner. That means guys not running around in wigs and dresses while wearing unauthorized jewelry.

How come every time we discuss gays in the military someone inevitably makes this point(less)? Not every gay man is a drag queen. And anyone joining the military should have basic knowledge that there are strict regulations on dress code and conduct. Do you have a case of this in reality or is it one you assume must be occurring in all bases all over the world who allow the gay community to serve?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I expected a few hate filled drive-bys.

That might be the reason they feel oppressed.

Maybe after the Gay people feel accepted.

They will not have a reason to have a parade.

edit on 16-7-2011 by whyamIhere because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join