It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastafarian' wins religious freedom right to wear pasta strainer for driving licence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Just imagine if he would have dedicated the last two years of his life to something worthwhile, like helping the poor, homeless, orphans, elderly, or doing ANYTHING of value. He certainly seems capable and imaginative but unfortunately he's just a waste of space.
edit on 14-7-2011 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

You deem his efforts as less than the efforts you cite? Seriously? The man is preventing a warped non scientific POV being taught in schools. Remember he is basing his actions upon a 'Scientific consensus' of his peers that he feels should be taught to the youngsters of the world. A request from an individual to teach 'Intelligent Design' spurred his actions, not a hatred for religion.

I feel this is of MASSIVE value to society, he is certainly not a waste of space.

BTW what help have you been providing to the 'poor, homeless, orphans, elderly'?? --question rhetorical because it matters not what you have done, it matters zero in this context completely as does the question of what he has done in these respects.--
edit on 14-7-2011 by spacedonk because: formatting

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
You Christians have a lot of nerve slamming him for this claiming that he is doing this to poke fun or mock religions. You are simply getting all whiny and defensive over this due to having your fragile beliefs threatened.

Honestly, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is about 10 times more reasonable of a belief than the idiotic christian FAIRY TALE stories.
edit on 14-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

Hell no, not more reasonable by any stretch of his, mine, yours or their imaginations!
Your post just seems disrespectful, live and let live is the point I am trying to make, do not inflict your belief system on others, try and use evidence and 'scientific evaluation' to decide the way of things, ut if another man believes different, lets just take the consensus as the best thing to teach

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by WitchicusRex
Oregon graduate named Bobby Henderson wrote to the Kansas State Board of Education after it's decision to include the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to evolutionary science

Open letter to the Kansas State Board of Education

If it is acceptable to teach students that ideas and beliefs derived from an anecdotal series of books

Actually, intelligent design should not rely on the bible. If it does you can correct me, but I doubt that it does. In fact, it is perfectly reasonable to allow the hypothesis that there may have been intelligent design. Ever heard of aliens? I thought maybe you would have heard of them, being on ATS and all. Humans can clone animals and make GMO crops. Certainly aliens could engineer a race like ours easily.

Real science isn't afraid of alternate explanations. Real science allows people to take the evidence and decide for themselves. It's more disturbing that atheists would demand that evolution be taught as dogma when it has so many gaps in it.

That is also a strong point! However, when discussing foundation education we have to decide a route for the minds we are trying to meld into intellectuals. Can you say you would like all children to be taught the alternative theories of America's discovery? Sod Columbus, lets look at Vikings and Chinese exploration....

No, foundation education MUST present the consensus as a foundation and as education is furthered alternatives can be opened up. This does not make doctrine, merely commonsense. I could argue a billion ways that 1+1 does not equal 2 based upon which state/government department's rounding up or down technique is applied both individually and severally. when it is a matter of foundation education we must deal with 'consensus opinion' however that is quantified. IMHO

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This thread has made me laugh. I chuckle when I imagine what the next person is going to do.

Is someone going to say that they believe that Uranus is a God and they want the right to have their Anus shown on their Passport photo?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
I bet he pats himself at night, happily snug that he "showed them". But the real joke is on him because of the effort and energy he used trying to discredit and poke fun at others while being the one with a kitchen tool on his head. Who's the real buffoon, those that embrace things which they do not know exist, or those that have nothing better to do then to ridicule others at the expense of their dignity?

It's like the internet dweebs that are all for the Lulz and like to say Fail at everything, yet can recite Star Trek episodes on the whim and complain about their mothers invading their privacy by cleaning their rooms while they are at work (part time starbucks) .

edit on 13-7-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster has now been recognised as a bona fide religion by the Austrian government and thereby ALL European Union States. I find your characterization of MY RELIGION offensive!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

i]reply to post by HUMBLEONE

and he will be named "Franc O'American"
in this sign he will conquer:
[IMG][/img]
====================================
lol talk about an op that's "already been posted"

the arguments posted by the cristians and the "what a waste of time" folk
are probably exact echoes of stuff "posted" in the roman forums 2000 years ago concerning those "weirdo worshipers of christus"

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If he actually, genuinely believes in a form of God called the flying spaghetti monster, then, sure, why not?

Thing is, Pastafarianism is a well-known parody of religion, so how can he get to do this under freedom of religion? A well-known parody of religion cannot be a real religion, similar to how Landover Baptist Church should not get tax-exempt status because they're a parody of a fundamentalist church.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy Pastafarianism. It's deliciously funny...but that's just it. It's funny and is meant to be a joke.
edit on 16-7-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Who's the real buffoon, those that embrace things which they do not know exist, or those that have nothing better to do then to ridicule others at the expense of their dignity?

Well the second question kinda goes with the first question as well...so IMO I think this guy "won"

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by littletheif203
But it's ok for people of faith the demean others that do don't believe as they do, Right.

I don't recall supporting anyone of faith demeaning atheists simply for being atheists. Nor do I see that in daily life. On the internet, arrogant atheists attacking religion is about 100 times more common than arrogant fundamentalists attacking atheism, and atheists almost invariably start the arguments.

What I do attack is arrogant dismissal of faith by bitter trolls whose only joy in life is destroying others' joy. That's you, friend.

What the typical Athiest does openly (because he/she does not convene on Sunday to praise common sense with other Atheists) the Religious person does privately, in the safety and company of others who feed off of each other's relative insecurity and fear of the unknown, otherwise known as Church.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join