It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastafarian' wins religious freedom right to wear pasta strainer for driving licence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Pastafarian' wins religious freedom right to wear pasta strainer for driving licence

www.telegraph.co.uk

Niko Alm announced the decision on his blog saying that after three years of struggle a psychologist had passed him fit drive and so he could wear the kitchen implement for the official picture.
A self-styled "pastafarian", Mr Alm said he belonged to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which lampooned religion. "Today I was able to get my new driving licence, and in it you can clearly see that I'm wearing a colander on my head to demonstrate my allegiance to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster," Mr Alm wrote in his blog.
"My headwear has now been recognised by the Republ
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.u k

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think this guy is my hero, total two fingers up to the ridiculous BS that religions get way with.

Reminds me of the stories in the English media about non majority religions having permission to exercise their beliefs, yet the same standards are not applied to the general populace, like the kid told he could not attend school with stubble, even though he has a skin condition and had problems shaving and other kids were permitted facial hair on religious grounds. stubble acne boy another link for same type of story below

I now believe in 'the Flying Spaghetti Monster' all hail to pastafarians!!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-7-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I bet he pats himself at night, happily snug that he "showed them". But the real joke is on him because of the effort and energy he used trying to discredit and poke fun at others while being the one with a kitchen tool on his head. Who's the real buffoon, those that embrace things which they do not know exist, or those that have nothing better to do then to ridicule others at the expense of their dignity?

It's like the internet dweebs that are all for the Lulz and like to say Fail at everything, yet can recite Star Trek episodes on the whim and complain about their mothers invading their privacy by cleaning their rooms while they are at work (part time starbucks) .

edit on 13-7-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
uggh, another person winning one for their "rights". this is just silly, proves nothing to nobody, except he is a new-age attention whore. next everyone is gonna want some silly license picture.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well....I actually thought it was kind of funny. If it is meant to prove anything...it proves that people are free to do stupid things as long as it is excused as part of their religion.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This kind of thing is why government officials do not take the public seriously.

They think we're rubes - and they're right.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
This kind of thing is why government officials do not take the public seriously.

They think we're rubes - and they're right.

Yup. They think you are rubes cause you believe the official story...you know, virgin mother, resurrection, all that nonsense?

Acta Romanorum Pontificum, which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574: "For on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie." The Pope in this case being Leo X.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The joke in this particular incident is on whoever "cares more" the winner is whoever cares less...

Officials streatched this out 3 years...and so did he, so personally I think they played eachother in what amounts to "a point" that was made that could have very easily been made in a political cartoon or something much less time consuming...

I agree with the "point" he was trying to make but I don't agree with the methodology as it seems just so wastefull of everyones time and ultimately will accomplish the same societal enlightenment (none) as a political/cartoon approach.

For those that don't see the "point" i'll tell you at least what I think the message was...

Basically if you turn ridiculous asinine thoughts into a "religion" they will be accepted (I think this says a lot about religion) but if your same ridiculous asnine thoughts are presented in a non-religious package, you will be laughed out of the solar system. So ultimately in order to pass ridiculous asinine thoughts you MUST package them up in religion, that is the only way it will be accepted. (at least officially)

note: ridiculous and asinine thoughts are in the mind of the beholder and cannot be clearly defined universally thus one mans ridiculous asinine thoughts are another mans enlightening self evedent truths...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Think its pretty funny myself, in a schoolboy prank kind of way.

Its his time to waste after all.

You cant allow one article of faith symbology and discriminate against another for having comedy value.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I'm Christian.. You going to say something snarky to say?

As for Mr. Pasta head.. I personally think he's an idiot.. Why? Because he went through all that to prove a point and came out with his dignity long gone...

Does he really believe in the flying spaghetti monster? No? Then it's not his religion... All he did is make a joke of the first amendment...

I have no problem with people doing things for "Third Party Religions".. What I do have a problem with is people trying to make a mockery of the whole thing.
edit on 13-7-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 13-7-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I respect all things pasta although I do not follow the church of TFSM.
I must ask, does the strainer work as well as the standard tin foil version?
edit on 13-7-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hey, don't get me wrong. I respect the founding principles of Pastafarianism.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I find Mr. Almamusing to say the least. I hope he gets a book deal, or writes a well visited blog for all his troubles.

My guess, in addition to a wicked sense of humor (with more stick to it ness, coupled with stick it to them ness) that he has a Libertarian streak. Mebbes showing the ridiculousness of allowing ANY head covering in Driver's License photos?

(Hmmmm--Glinda finding the perfect cyber pitch)

Bringing in the seives...
Bringing in the seives...
We shall come rejoicing,
Bringing in the seives.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The next time this guy is in the news will be after he is tazed, pepper sprayed, beaten and arrested for resisting arrest by some monster police official with strong religious beliefs.

I respect his desire to make his point but this will only end bad.

t

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Interesting comments guys.

If you see the story, it says that he started the motion in response to a US schools education decision that in a scientific class, intelligent design should be taught alongside the scientific view. I love his fight and message that effectively religion is an unproved, unfounded view of the creation of the planet and people in it. By creating 'pastafarianism' he has proved his point, by having his driving licence photo accepted with the holy strainer of pasta atop his bonce he has given his own religion credence alongside all others in Austria. Therefore one could argue why isn't the flying spaghetti monster going to be taught in schools too? After all, it is a religion now.

This I think is his point. One cannot teach intelligent design in schools as 'fact', one can study it in a religious class, but not a scientific class. The scientific view held by consensus is that evolution and 'the big bang' is the foundation of our world and our universe.

As points go, it is well made and the story should be seen by authority/governments as a perfect satire on their neverending acceptance of 'religious quirks'. I say it should be seen by all of us as a victory for commonsense, even through the peversity of the actions taken.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot
The next time this guy is in the news will be after he is tazed, pepper sprayed, beaten and arrested for resisting arrest by some monster police official with strong religious beliefs.

I respect his desire to make his point but this will only end bad.

t

there speaks a 21st century American
(I guess)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Well....I actually thought it was kind of funny. If it is meant to prove anything...it proves that people are free to do stupid things as long as it is excused as part of their religion.

Well,
I think that is fact, more than proof

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by CaptChaos

Does he really believe in the flying spaghetti monster? No? Then it's not his religion... All he did is make a joke of the first amendment...

I have no problem with people doing things for "Third Party Religions".. What I do have a problem with is people trying to make a mockery of the whole thing

The first ammendment of what? I think you ought to have noticed that, like most of the worlds population, this gentleman does not live in the USA. I know it's hard to believe there is a world and it is round and people travel to other places other than church and the house in the town they were born in.

It's simply too bad that you have a problem with people mocking religion because religion really deserves it. Yours as much as any.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Garfee because: sp typo

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Anyone but a pastafarian would have been in hot water over this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join