It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS Censoring too much?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This post was sort of a news announcement about Anonymous and their newest video titled "ANON calls out Facebook and ATS for censorship, really?"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The topic has since been closed by SO the site owner.

Do you believe what anonymous is saying? Is ATS censoring too much? Are they too controlling on what their users are allowed to see, allowed to say?

I am sure this post will get owned, but it will only prove censorship lives here and is not going away.

Censorship is control...don't be controlled.I think if reporting something that is negative towards ATS, on ATS and results in a closing of the topic for no real good reason, it stands to reason that censorship has prevailed.

Can't spin that story positive, so lets bury it? Is that the philosophy here?
edit on 13-7-2011 by EspyderMan because: Elaboration

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EspyderMan

sounds like the police force to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Some people post some real nonsense here that deserves to be deleted.

But sometimes I just scratch my head about how fast some threads vanish.It would be nice If they would post why and for what reason threads are removed.In other words. Tell us the thread you removed and why you did it and it will take all the speculation out of it and the mystery. Problem solved.

edit on 13-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The problem with censorship, in my opinion, is that when certain topics are considered taboo we are left with only half of the story.

Regardless of who's holding the spoon, we're all too old to be spoon-fed. "Deny ignorance" people. Don't use the same tactics to censor and skew as the global puppetmasters that you are all so eager to bash.

Whether the reasons are political, financial, or idealogic, one cannot make informed decisions without having access to information from both sides of the argument. It seems people are very willing to dispose of one form of control and cozy up to another, because its packaging is more appealing to them.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Backslider because: I put apostrophes where none should be.

link   
Well think about this, if you go into a Christian home, you probably will not be allowed to curse or walk around nude, but if you came over my house, I'd let you say and do whatever you like for the most part.
This site is a private entity owned by people, not the public. If you blog on your own site you can say whatever you like, plus consequences for unlawful statements/threats. Here we have to follow their policies, if they want to censor the word "THE" on their site, I think they have the right to do so.

Not sure why they censor ANON, but it's their free choice right to despite your arguments. This is a privately owned site offered to the public to browse and comment on.

link   
I agree, when your a "former advertising executive" running the site it makes sense to not allow certain posts to appear that degrades your "product".

To me that says ALOT about the site's intentions and goals. We are just a money making machine for the "former advertising executive" when censorship is so prevalent.

Mr Jedi,

This site's goal is truth and denial of ignorance, isn't that goal hard to reach when censorship rules the waters?
Is this SO's home, or is it the conspiracy theorist home?

I thought we were invited in and expected to challenge thought, to see the truth on all sides. I can respect rules but when you expect a result such as ATS does then make censorship a cornerstone of your authority its an oxymoron.

edit on 13-7-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

your so right, we are being spoon fed when censor ship is applied.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You guys should really give it a rest. Mountains out of mole hills here lately, anything to add a little more paranoia. The thread was most likely closed because it's a non-issue.

Did you not read what SO said? I'll repeat it for him: ATS DOES NOT CENSOR TOPICS RELATING TO "ANONYMOUS".

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
FYI this is a private site...there is no "freedom of speech" the constitution here is the T&C. there is just the right amount of censoring to accommodate the T&C. If folks want their posts to stay up then they need to be mindful of the terms they agreed to when they signed up to be a member.

I get posts removed too, as of this date none where removed unless they violated the T&C.
I commend the Mods and hope they continue to do as they are.

have a great day!
edit on 13-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: typos

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan

It's closed because it's ridiculous, and the video clearly done by someone pretending to be "anonymous."

Since it wasn't removed, how is that censorship?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Remove my posts all you want, censor everyone. I am not debating whether he is allowed to or not.
I am suggesting that doing so is damaging to their goals and censorship is only proving this site is nothing but a money making machine off the backs of conspiracy believers.

I am trying to open your mind some to understand what this place truly is. Walk around with your eyes closed and let them hold your hand all you want. I will not.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I agree, when your a "former advertising executive" running the site it makes sense to not allow certain posts to appear that degrades your "product".

To me that says ALOT about the site's intentions and goals. We are just a money making machine for the "former advertising executive" when censorship is so prevalent.

Mr Jedi,

This site's goal is truth and denial of ignorance, isn't that goal hard to reach when censorship rules the waters?

I thought we were invited in and expected to challenge thought, to see the truth on all sides. I can respect rules but when you expect a result such as ATS does then make censorship a cornerstone of your authority its an oxymoron.

when you are invited into someones home you are expected to obey the rules they place within their home as a sign of respect and friendship. This is not any different here, respect the terms or go to GLP...they would be glad to have ya i am sure.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It's closed because it's ridiculous, and the video clearly done by someone pretending to be "anonymous."

Its on the official anonymous channel for youtube according to replies in that post, nothing indicates its pretend, all signs point to an official anonymous release. Just because the content isn't to your liking doesn't make it fake, like another poster already said.

Removing the video describing someone criticism of this site as well as another site is an act towards burying it from the public view, is it not? Or do closed topics make it to the top news links too?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

how can you pretend to be anon?

anon is everyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Remove my posts all you want, censor everyone.

Be careful that your intensely jerking-knee doesn't hit you in your jaw, knock you out, and require a visit to the dentist to repair your teeth.

I am trying to open your mind some to understand what this place truly is.

Oh... so you're an expert on what AboveTopSecret.com truly is... do tell.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I also think it's funny that people would really think the owner of the "accused" website would really want to keep a thread open, that adds more hits and attention to a video with such claims against ATS.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

link   
I can personally say that a post that got banned/deleted from both glp and dicloseTV, but I put that same thread here with no consequence. So no, I think they are much more open than other forums.

link   

Do you believe what anonymous is saying?

If it really is anonymous and that's a big if, no.

Is ATS censoring too much?

If you mean troll topics, out of place pictures, certain drugs and curse words, no. There are many sites that allow them and by looking at them, I think we're waaaaay on the mark...

Are they too controlling on what their users are allowed to see, allowed to say?

Controlling? To censor is indeed a way of control but if there is none all hell breaks loose. Read above answer.

I am sure this post will get owned, but it will only prove censorship lives here and is not going away. Censorship is control...don't be controlled.I think if reporting something that is negative towards ATS, on ATS and results in a closing of the topic for no real good reason, it stands to reason that censorship has prevailed.

From what I have seen, threads are closed if they turn into a circus or if it goes against the T&C. No real good reason ?? Riiiiiiiight....

Can't spin that story positive, so lets bury it? Is that the philosophy here?

ATS is what you make it out to be. If that is your philosophy about it than you are absolutely right. But it ain't mine.

edit on 13-7-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
ATS reminds me of the political machine right now... sad sad sad.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer

Mr Jedi,

when you are invited into someones home you are expected to obey the rules they place within their home as a sign of respect and friendship. This is not any different here, respect the terms or go to GLP...they would be glad to have ya i am sure.

The invitation was a mutual benefit, if we all weren't here participating this place would not exist. A web site is not a home and to equate it as such is truly horrible logic.

We are scratching each others backs here. Why bury a video from anonymous that mentions ATS censorship? Gimme one good reason, and don't play the "it cant be anonymous someone must of hacked them" because that is a theory not fact.
If the video is a joke we will see it when watched and can comment accordingly. Closing the topic and removing it from ever being popular smacks of censorship pure and simple.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join