It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish and 500 yards of compost!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Great ideas but if you haven't got a garden or access to enough land to produce your own then your pretty much screwed aren't you?
I know I am, I live in an apartment block.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. I've been interested in this for a while. It has proven itself many times however, the only draw back is the need for a good water supply - better hush up about this or TPTB will ensure that the they turn off the tap or make water so expensive it won't be worth while.

They've got us by the short and curlies. !!! They're already pushing the shortage of water BS

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
i thought i would add this vid, though you would need quite a bit of space, it follows the idea through to its largest conclusion.

it seems we are facing an uncertain future of water and power shortages, a system like this uses very little of either and the power could easily be supplied by solar.

i firmly believe that it will be these sorts of technology along with vertical planting, community living etc. that will pull humanity through the difficult times ahead.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
who the hell determines what goes on the front page?? this is old news that's been discussed many times before on ats!

I can think of at least ten other threads that are more worthy than this to hit top news...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

There is no profit in what I like to call "Open Re-Sources"

I am running a campaign next month with my non-profit website boycotting supermarkets and chain stores, with incentives to support local produce with menus for food and even house hold cleaning products!

Not only will it help stop over consumption but bring awareness to people who don't quite understand how supermarkets are affecting our behavioural and physical traits as human beings and the environment in which we inhabit. This applies mainly to the younger generations!

This video has brought a whole new perspective on farming for me! Thank you for sharing!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I have a small Aquaponics setup so do my neighbors , its a great system pretty self sustaining.

You can build or buy them, home depot has a system starting at $295.

I will be expanding on mine soon.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is great to see!! I am in the process of opening Malta's first hydroponic shop. We will teach people how to grow all their own produce all year round using hydroponic, airoponic and aquaponic techniques!
Doing this in a verticle system is the future people!

Although I must say his setup is fantastic considering he did it without tech help.

I really hope all this starts to catch on!

Thanks OP

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Hey sounds great! Send me message when its up and running and will one of your first customers

Cheers

CTH

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
... the only draw back is the need for a good water supply

Which is quite a big drawback given that it is safe, clean, water more so than food that the world is in short supply of.

A good idea for us in the wealthy west though

Edit: scrap what I said: aquaponics uses a lot less water than conventional crop production
Though it still might not be so easy setting up working systems in Kenya or Ethiopia as it would in the US or Britain.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by quedup
... the only draw back is the need for a good water supply

Which is quite a big drawback given that it is safe, clean, water more so than food that the world is in short supply of.

A good idea for us in the wealthy west though

Water is a big part,

Where i have my Aquaponics setup i'm using well water with a 2 stage followed by a 3 stage filter and finally through a whole house reverse osmosis system.

Water is test every year and got a A rating. it may be a over kill water filter setup but what the heck better safe then sorry.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

My god man, what would you consider to be a large "corporate" farm?

I can't imagine this 3 acre farm being very practical.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My family has grown vegetables, fruits. We have 2 peach tree's. I love the idea of growing your own food and if we could be self reliant mostly or totally for food that be great. Thanks for making this thread. Storing rain water can be a good source.
edit on 13-7-2011 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Wow nice video. I hope some day I can get to become self sufficient. That guy sure inspired me a green house has been on my list for 3 years now. I would be interested in how he used his compost to heat the green house in the winter.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I love how it uses the natural cycle to propagate the entire system. Nature shows us the most efficient methods all we have to do is learn and adapt those methods. This proves it. Awsome, thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Brilliant. S+F

Talapia is a very good eatin fish too. I believe that's what fish they said they were useing ya?

But the system they have there is really smart

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Loved it, can only think of how this could be implemented for the thrid world starving nations as well as places such as Japan right now in the midst of the crisis with Fukishima.

Just beautiful, man is so ingenious some times. Glad to see the College get involved.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Great ideas but if you haven't got a garden or access to enough land to produce your own then your pretty much screwed aren't you?
I know I am, I live in an apartment block.

You can set up a small Aquaponics setup in your apartment home depot $295.00 something is better then nothing.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Its great if you have garden/backyard or a few acres but what if you dont?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hate to say it. . . but if more blacks acted like this guy there would be no more racism.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tbonethedstroyer
I hate to say it. . . but if more blacks acted like this guy there would be no more racism.

Hardly. There will always be racism. I could say if more whites acted like this guy there would be less racism.... doesnt make sense either, does it?

In reality, the city plot or community lot garden has been around since the ghetto... and they have been basically destroyed with zoning issues and vandalism/theft. Just like those white gardens
There are a plethora of books and articles concerning the "ghetto garden" and urban gardening.. and some are written by blacks for blacks.. to get them into the idea of self sufficiency and addressing the particular community issues.One of the books I have was written in the late 60's... and invaluable. This isnt a white only domain for Gods sake.

Someone mentioned permaculture
LOVE IT!! The neighbors werent real happy when I started doing this, but as time went on... my permacultured edibles were more maintained and beautiful than their annual beds... and now our neighbors are making small gardens and some attempts at permaculture.
We share... everything from seeds to books.. to help work if they dont know what theyre doing. Many positives come out of it. Just DO IT.. see where it takes you

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join