It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside The Conspiracy To Murder Lincoln

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Inside The Conspiracy To Murder Lincoln

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8bc537e5cc18.jpg[/atsimg]

Hello again ATS,

As most who know me quite well here realize, I'm a very keen researcher of the JFK Assassination case, this being a topic I look into much more than any other at this moment in time and It's one I end up researching to some degree almost every single day now. Well, this being so, I thought I would try taking a look at a topic relatively similar to this case - similar in more ways than one might I add - and attempt to bring forth an interesting discussion in the process. This thread being a look at the conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln in 1885 by actor John Wilkes Booth in what's probably the lesser famous of the 2 conspiracies, thus the lesser discussed one.

Now, as I understand it, the main difference between this case and the JFK Assassination case is the fact we actually know for sure who fired the bullets murdering the president and who was actually involved in the plot at the same time. This makes this conspiracy quite unique as It's in the rare position of being one which is relatively well know about, as well as being one which isn't discussed as much the more recent assassination of Kennedy. This thread seeming like a great chance to change that however, if only It's for a short while.

This being so, this thread is a discussion on the assassination itself, how it came to be, who I believe was involved, what they plotted exactly, were the conspiracies that were brought forth over the years true and so on. I also hope to see a great discussion, I hope to see some debate, and I hope people enjoy the read here - this being the tale of how the "greatest president in all of American history", which is of course debatable, was tragically shot down by assassin John Wilkes Booth (shown below) in 1865 changing the future of America forever.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f5d4b4dd2ae.jpg[/atsimg]

Before continuing further and in more detail though, here's the Lincoln Assassination In a quick Summary:

The assassination of President Lincoln, an Anti-slave president who was hated by many of those in the south, was to occur on April 14th, 1865, Lincoln eventually dying in the early morning of the 15th. This being a time in history when the American civil had just come to an end. In fact, 5 days prior, the commanding General of the Army of Northern Virginia, Robert E. Lee had surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House marking the end of the war.

The assassin of Lincoln was acted out by John Wilkes Booth - someone was a rather popular figure at this time. He was a very well known actor indeed, appearing in a number of plays, many of which were Shakespearean plays, but he was also a racist and a fanatical southern Sympathizer. He also blamed Lincoln for everything that was going wrong in the south at the time, and he saw Lincoln as someone who represented everything he himself was against.

Plans began in March of this year to actually kidnap Lincoln, move him to Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy, where he would trade him for POW's in what appeared to be an attempt to rally the remaining wavering Confederate troops to continue fighting.

After numerous failed kidnap attempts and after almost giving up Booth was, by mere chance, given an opportunity to finally "avenge the south" and stop Lincoln. On the morning of the assassination itself, this being the 14th of April, someone had informed Booth, currently an actor at Fords theatre, that President Lincoln would be "coming later that day". This excited Booth and he immediately saw a great opportunity to finally be able to get his hands on Lincoln, as this became his new plan after the failed kidnap attempts, this being something he had become so obsessed with at this time also.

So, immediately plans were made and Booth assigned 2 of his associates (Lewis Powell & George Atzerodt), ones already involved in previous plots, to assassinate Secretary of state, William H. Seward, and Vice-President Johnson, both of which failed in their attempts. Atzerodt not even attempting to assassinate Johnson in the first place.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f6a924b79fd.jpg[/atsimg]

(Drawing of the assassination of Lincoln)

After the assassination of Lincoln, in which he died the following morning from a single gunshot wound to the head, Booth jumped to the theatre from the presidential box, later claiming in his diary to have broken his leg at this time, was then able to stumble out the back entrance, thus causing us to be suspicious this was when he actually broke it, climb onto a horse waiting for him, which he had previously planned for with the help of Joseph Burroughs, and he then made his escape into the Washington night.

His other associates also made their escapes at this time, around 10:15 - this being when all assassinations were planned to occur potentially causing mass confusion, although they had all failed in their attempts, one that if successful would have been a hugely devastating blow to the government. David Herold, the man who aided Powell to the home of Seward eventually fleeing leaving him behind to fend for himself, leaving himself the only man other than Booth to escape and flee Washington successfully.

All involved in the plot were eventually captured and/or killed for their involvement, those whom were simply jailed being pardoned in 1869. Now, this is the simplified version of events. This being so, please do continue reading where I look to discuss this conspiracy to assassinate in much further detail. Just below is a quick look at those involved also.

Thanks..

Who was Actually involved in the plot(s)?

John Wilkes Booth

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49a45fc1e8d3.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: May 10, 1838.
Death: April 26, 1865
Type of Death: Shot by Sgt. Boston Corbett at the "Garrett Farm" after being hunted for the assassination of the then President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln.

John Wilkes Booth was a very unlikely assassin it would seem, instead, a rising actor and a relatively famous actor at that, especially by the time he had shot Lincoln. Due to his fame and popularity, he was allowed free access to anywhere in Ford's theatre, where he went onto murder Abraham Lincoln.

Anyway, Booth, as most would expect from someone who had shot the president, wasn't a particularly warm character. As I previously said, he was a die-hard southerner and he loved the idea of having slaves, something that was a threat in the early 1860's. Growing up in Maryland the Booth family, John, his parents and 9 siblings, even owned there slaves, something not un-common at the time.

By 1955, Booth being at the age of 17, he decided to embark on something of an acting career, according to his sister always aspiring to be "famous" at some point. Booth made his official acting career debut in the production of Shakespeare's Richard III, in the role of the Earl of Richmond at this time. Following this however, I believe due to poor performances, fluffing lines, missing cues etc., It would be approximately 2 years before a major role would come up once again, this time though in Richmond, Virginia, an eventual confederate state which was here Booth was most comfortable.

It was also at around this time that Booth continued showing support for less than savoury activities, predominately opposing the Establishment of Slavery. In fact, Booth even attended the execution of John Brown, he did so spontaneously in the middle of rehearsing for a play at the Richmond Theatre I believe when he joined the 1,500 man strong volunteer "militia" group travelling to Charles Town for Brown's hanging, specifically in order to guard him against any attempted rescue mission from fellow slave abolitionists.

You see, John Brown in 1955 in particular, along with some of his sons, moved to Kansas Territory to help anti-slavery forces obtain control of this region, something which caused him a great deal of grief from those whom opposed his views. His house was even burnt down sometime in 1856. After moving to Virginia to help slaves there, he ended up leading, this in 1859 now, a party of approximately 21 men in what became a successful attack on the federal armoury at Harper's Ferry. This was done in the hope of causing some sort of rebellion.

However, 2 days later, the armoury was stormed by Robert E. Lee and a company of marines. Brown and six men barricaded themselves in and continued to fight until Brown was seriously wounded and was finally unable to evade capture. He was then sentenced to death by hanging which is where the Booth, and fellow racists, came in as stated above.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5698fb5b2e7.jpg[/atsimg]

(Painting of the militia group surrounding Brown to ensure he was successfully hung.)

Booth grew more irritated at the direction in which the south was going, particularly due to incidents like this above. But, also due to the newly elected president, elected in the early 1860's, and his views, much of which seemed to go against the views of Booth and many of those whom considered themselves other southerners.

It was, of course, around this time that his acting career started to take off also:

In 1860, his acting career started to take off. He landed the role as Duke Pescara in The Apostate, at the Gayety Theatre in Albany, New York. It was here that President Lincoln passed through Albany en route to Washington, D.C. Booth's acting continued in such productions as Romeo and Juliet, The Marble Heart, The Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, Othello, The Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet, Macbeth, and others. His appearances took him to New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Leavenworth, Nashville, New Orleans and Richmond, prior to the Civil War.

From November 2 through November 15, 1863, Booth appeared in The Marble Heart in the role of Raphael at Ford's theatre in Washington, D.C. It was during his November 9 performance that President Lincoln attended and saw Booth in this role. The box where Lincoln sat was the same exact spot in which he would be later assassinated. Following The Marble Heart at Ford's, Booth made only one more appearance there, when on March 18, 1865, he appeared as Duke Pescara in The Apostate. Although Booth was considered a good actor, he never excelled to the level of talent possessed by his father, nor his brother Edwin, who all worked together in one production of Julius Caesar (shown below).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f679f1a4d600.jpg[/atsimg]

(John Wilkes Booth is the man to the far left)

In the play, Booth appeared as Marc Antony, while Edwin played Brutus, and their father Julius, played Cassius. In the summer of 1864, Booth appeared in a production at Meadville, Pennsylvania, and stayed in a room at the McHenry House. Upon checking out, a cleaning woman attending the room found an inscription on one of the windowpanes that read, "Abe Lincoln departed his life August 13, 1864, by the effects of poison." Unfortunately, no one gave it much attention, nor focused on Booth as the writer.
(Source)

(Image and bolded text in the above external snippet is my own writing)

Taking that last snippet into consideration, it appears it was at around this time or maybe earlier, that Booth was feeling more and more than he was to be the man that rid the world of Lincoln. And take into consideration that it was only a short while after that he seemingly "went public" to a select few of his plans to firstly kidnap the new president.

Ask yourself though, why would he feel the need to do something soo drastic such as kidnap or even murder a president. Well, we really must remember that Lincoln was almost guaranteed a re-election it would seem, this at a time where Booth already hated him and blamed him for all the troubles in the south. But, he also, I believe according to his sister once more, promised his mother he would not enlist as a soldier, something he kept his word on, so it seems as though as this was no longer an option, the option being fighting for the south in battle, he felt the need to do it in another way, and that's removing the very source of the troubles in the first place.. Lincoln.

That's just my perspective on it anyway, but I can see no other alternative that makes sense for me, personally. Anyway, he reportedly wrote in a letter to his mother after failing to, at this moment in time, make any impact in helping the south as he felt he couldn't enlist as a solder. In it he states the following: "I have begun to deem myself a coward and to despise my own existence". So again, I argue that literally eliminating Lincoln, the source of the problems seemed like an accurate assumption on why Booth had decided to do what we now know he did..

Anyway, after quite a number of failed kidnap attempts, Booth seemingly gave up. He was distressed, turned to drinking and was seemingly prepared to give up his acting career, even reportedly telling a friend, Louis J. Weichmann, a friend of John Surratt, and a boarder at Mary Surratt's house, at one time that the only play he wanted to present henceforth was Venice Preserved, a play about an assassination attempt. It's important to note at this time that Louis J. Weichmann was one of the key witnesses who implicated Mary Surratt in the assassination plot, she eventually being sentenced to death by hanging. Anyway, just prior, and during the inauguration speech where Lincoln was re-elected, Booth was present, alongside other conspirators such as David Herold and Lewis Powell whom were also in the crowd, and he went onto allegedly tell a friend, Samuel Knapp Chester, "What an excellent chance I had to kill the President, if I had wished, on inauguration day!". *

Booth, seemingly believing his chance was gone, was given quite a rare opportunity to finally get to the president. It seems as though on 14th April, the day of the assassination, Booth went to Ford Theatre at about 11am where he was told by Henry Clay Ford that Lincoln would be coming later that evening to match the play, Our American Cousin, something Booth knew very well. He also knew the ford theatre extremely well and spent a lot of time there.

Upon hearing this, he quickly formulated the plan, gathered the others to inform them of the plot, and the plan to assassinate was set. This was his weapon of choice in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, this being used by Booth himself:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce4095eb9084.jpg[/atsimg]

The plan for everyone was to attack as close to 10:15 as was possible. This being so, Booth entered the lobby of Ford's theatre at approximately 10:07; he then went upstairs and found the state box where Lincoln was situated. Seated just outside Lincoln's State Box however was Charles Forbes, the President’s footman. To get to Lincoln's box Booth had to firstly get past Forbes. As Booth was a regular to the theatre, as I mentioned before, he was pretty much simply able to handle Forbes a card that enabled him to pass and he was ready to do the deed.

Booth then entered an area that was dark, but led directly behind the door that led to the State Box. He waited till the appropriate moment, before pulling out the derringer from his pocket before striking President Lincoln just behind the left ear before jumping to the stage, quite possibly breaking his leg in the process, getting to his feet again, managing to make his way out the exit and onto a horse which was waiting for him there.

He disappeared into the night and carried on his journey to freedom, one which was fruitless as on the 26th of April, soldiers finally caught up with Booth and Herold, Booth previously caught up with David Herold, and they both made an escape together on the night of the assassination. Eventually reaching the Garrett farm where Herold surrendered but Booth failed to do so..

The soldiers, determined to capture Booth alive, set the barn on fire in the hope he would finally come out, but Sergeant Boston Corbett shot him as he feared Booth was prepared to shoot either himself or anyone else present. This was a direct disobeyed order, as they desperately wanted to capture him alive. He later claimed he did it as Booth could be seen raising a weapon as if ready to fire.

Booth then passed away a few hours later, being heard to mutter the words, all the while looking at his hands, "Useless! Useless!!".

Please scroll down for a much more detailed discussion into some of what I brought up here, particularly the assassination and the escape. For now though, please continue reading to see who else was involved in some way or another in the plot to kidnap/assassinate Lincoln.

Lewis (Payne?) (Paine?) Powell

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8ea2d65abc5.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: April 22, 1844
Death: July 7, 1865
Type of Death: Hung after a failed assassination attempt on the United States Secretary of State William H. Seward.

Lewis Powell, AKA Lewis Paine or Lewis Paine but hereby in this thread known as Lewis Powell, was originally a soldier for the confederate army, something he was able to join on May 30, 1861, which was when he was accepted for enlistment as a private, this at the mere age of 17.

During his time here he saw his fair share of battle. Particularly in the Battle of Gettysburg where he was shot in the right wrist and was subsequently taken as a prisoner. Fortunately, for Powell anyway, he was able to escape before he then enlisted in Col. John Singleton Mosby's Virginia cavalry in the fall of 1863. Lewis then went to live in Baltimore where he boarded at the Branson boarding house which was being used as a front by those involved in Confederate espionage.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a9a432fd3fa.jpg[/atsimg]

Before too long after this, Powell was to meet John Wilkes Booth for the first time. Most probably through John Surrat, a confederate courier, who had originally met Booth via Dr. Samuel Mudd (whom later denied knowing Booth before the assassination at all). Powell, being a large and strong man seemed like a suitable person for booth to use in his eventual plan, especially taking into consideration his confederate links.

It was in 1865 where Powell first showed up at the boarding house of Mary Surratt, again most probably due to her son, John. This is also where Powell first arrived at just after the assassination had taken place which I'll explain in a moment..

Anyway, in the meantime, It was around March of 1865 which is where Powell, along with other conspirators discussed below, first started plans to decapitate the current head of government, Abraham Lincoln. This though a mere kidnap plot, many more kidnap plans were organized, and all of which failed causing most of the conspirators to "lose heart" and decide to abandon the plans altogether.. Powell not being one of those wavering.

It was then the 14th of April where Booth was given a rare opportunity to get close to Lincoln, and it was here where he had decided to call upon the services of Powell, him being such an intimidating figure, to help in taking down the government by assassinating 3 of the top figures in one go, this potentially causing mass confusion. Powell accepted the request from Booth and later that evening, approximately 10pm, he was prepared to murder secretary of state, William H. Seward.

Powell, along with the help of David Herold simply to find the home residence of Seward, managed to gain access telling those whom had answered the door, such as William H. Bell for example, that he was originally there to deliver some medicine to Seward as at the time he was already recovering from a previous accident he had while riding in his carriage, an accident which caused him to break his jaw as well as suffer other quite severe injuries.

Powell now in the house was carrying a 1858 Whitney revolver, as well as a large knife, both of which were obviously hidden. After the residents becoming suspicious of him though, and Powell realizing which room Seward was situated in, he agreed to leave after being asked to do so. By this time he was already upstairs but was being disallowed into any of the rooms due to the suspicious behaviour he was showing. But, before agreeing to leave, already walking down the stairs at this time, he suddenly turned around, aimed his gun and attempted to fire it at Bell - the gun backfiring on him forcing him to use it as a club instead.

He then burst into the room of Seward and attempted to murder the already severely injured man. His bandages and restraints being the only thing to stop the swinging knife from striking him dead on in the neck cutting his jugular vein which would have almost certainly of killed him. He also managed to strike him in the check, splitting it wide open. Please see the image below of Seward after the attack in which he survived.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1834427609a8.jpg[/atsimg]

(William H. Seward after the attack)

Due to the screams from inside the house from the daughters of Seward, David Herold, waiting outside for Powell to return, decided to flee leaving Powell to fend for himself as all was not going to plan it had seemed. Herold it would seem going straight to the originally planned escape route over the nearby Navy Bridge.

Due to being restrained from further striking Seward by his sons, and the other occupants of the house, he then decided to flee, at this time unsure of whether his attack was successful or not. In doing so though, and almost out the door a messenger arrived, Emerick Hansell, who was then stabbed by Powell but fortunately survived. I believe he went onto help in convicting Powell.

According to the witnesses at the residence, here is how the events took place exactly:

William Bell:

I live at the house of Mr. Seward, Secretary of State, and attend to the door. That man (pointing to Lewis Powell) came to the house of Mr. Seward on the night of the 14th April. The bell rang and I went to the door, and that man came in. He had a little package in his hand; he said it was medicine for Mr. Seward from Dr. Verdi, and that he was sent by Dr. Verdi to direct Mr. Seward how to take it. He said he must go up; then repeating the words over, and was a good while talking with me in the hall.

He then walked up to the hall towards the steps. He met Mr. Frederick Seward on the steps this side of his father's room. He told Mr. Frederick that he wanted to see Mr. Seward. Mr. Frederick went into the room and came out, and told him that he could not see him; that his father was asleep, and to give him the medicine, and he would take it to him. That would not do; he must see Mr. Seward. He must see him; he said it in just that way. He then struck Mr. Frederick. Then I ran down stairs and out of the front door, hallooing "murder".
(Source)

George Robinson:

On the 14th April I was at the residence of Mr. Seward, Secretary of State, acting as attendant nurse to Mr. Seward, who was confined to his bed by injuries received from having been thrown from his carriage. One of his arms was broken and his jaw fractured.

I heard a disturbance in the hall, and opened the door to see what the trouble was; and as I opened the door this man (Lewis Powell) struck me with a knife in the forehead, knocked me partially down, and pressed by me to the bed of Mr. Seward, and struck him, wounding him. As soon as I could get on my feet, I endeavored to haul him off his bed, and then he turned upon me. In the scuffle Major Seward came into the room and clinched him. Between the two of us we got him to the door, and he, unclinching his hands from around my neck, struck me again, this time with his fist, knocking me down, and then broke away from Major Seward and ran down stairs.

I saw him strike Mr. Seward with the same knife with which he cut my forehead. It was a large knife, and he held it with the blade down below his hand. I saw him cut Mr. Seward twice that I am sure of; the first time he struck him on the right cheek, and then he seemed to be cutting around his neck.
(Source)

Major Augustus Seward:

I am the son of William H. Seward, Secretary of State, and was at his home on the night of 14th April, 1865. I retired to bed at half-past seven. I very shortly fell asleep, and so remained until I was awakened by the screams of my sister, when I jumped out of bed and ran into my father's room. The gas in the room was turned down rather low, and I saw what appeared to be two men, one trying to hold the other at the foot of my father's bed. I seized by the clothes on his breast and shoved the person of whom I had hold to the door, with the intention of getting him out of the room. While I was pushing him, he struck me five or six times on the forehead and top of the head, and once on the left hand, with what I supposed to be a bottle or decanter that he had seized from the table. During this time he repeated, in an intense but not strong voice, the words "I'm mad, I'm mad!" On reaching the hall he gave a sudden turn, and sprang away from me, and disappeared down the stairs.
(Source)

Presumably Powell, initially needing directions to the home of Seward in the first place, was unaware of the escape route thus why he was the only one of the assassins not to follow it - Minus Atzerodt who didn't even attempt an assassination. Instead, he got on his horse, the one he arrived on alongside Herold, rode off into the night and spent 3 full days In a wooded lot about a mile from the Navy Yard Bridge. He either found it through chance and it was too late to cross (possibly had numerous guardsmen on it due to hearing of the assassination and trying to block escape routes), it's unknown.

On the 17th of April though, he finally decided to come out, the first place he went to was the boarding house of Mary Surratt, this seeming like the safest location and one he knew well. What's unfortunate though is he arrived at 11pm, this being the exact same time Mary Surratt was being arrested for her potential involvement in the assassination - and how her house was used as a meeting place for the conspirators. Powell was questioned, later claimed to be a labourer (despite arriving at a ridiculous time for such things), and was subsequently arrested on suspicious grounds. William Bell, the man who had originally opened the door to Powell at the Seward residence, later pointed out Powell as the man who tried to murder Seward at the police station.

Major H. W. Smith, the man whom had arrested Powell:

I was in charge of the party that took possession of Mrs. Surratt’s house, 541 High Street, on the night of the 17th of April, and arrested Mrs. Surratt, Miss Surratt, Miss Fitzpatrick, and Miss Jenkins. When I went up the steps, and rang the bell of the house, Mrs. Surratt came to the window, and said "Is that you, Mr. Kirby?" The reply was that it was not Mr. Kirby, and to open the door. She opened the door, and I asked, "Are you Mrs. Surratt?" She said, "I am the widow of John H. Surratt." And I added, "The mother of John H. Surratt, jr.?" She replied, "I am." I then said, "I come to arrest you and all in your house, and take you for examination to General Augur’s headquarters." No inquiry whatever was made as to the cause of the arrest.

While we were there, Powell came to the house. I questioned him in regard to his occupation, and what business he had at the house that time of night. He stated that was a labourer, and had come there to dig a gutter at the request of Mrs. Surratt. I went to the parlour door, and said, "Mrs. Surratt, will you step here a minute?" She came out, and I asked her, "Do you know this man, and did you hire him to come and dig a gutter for you?" She answered, raising her right hand, "Before God, sir, I do not know this man, and have never seen him, and I did not hire him to dig a gutter for me."

Powell said nothing. I then placed him under arrest, and told him he was so suspicious a character that I should send him to Colonel Wells, at General Augur’s headquarters, for further examination. Powell was standing in full view of Mrs.Surratt, and within three paces of her, when she denied knowing him.
(Source)

Powell was charged with conspiracy and attempted murder and was tried along with the others who had been charged by the government at the time. Early in the afternoon of July 7, 1865, along with Mary Surratt, George Atzerodt, and David Herold, Powell faced his fate - death by hanging. The executioner just prior to hanging Powell allegedly telling him: "Paine, I want you to die quick." in which Powell replied: "You know best, Captain." He then uttered his last words: "I thank you. Good-bye."

A close up of Powell just prior to being hung:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eec6b5a0da5e.jpg[/atsimg]

David Herold

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3199f3ba2e02.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: June 16, 1842
Type of Death: Hung after helping Lewis Powell obtain access to the residence of William H. Seward where he attempted to assassinate him, eventually failing. Herold was also found along with Booth at the Garrett barn where Booth was fatally wounded by Boston Corbett. Herold previously giving himself up.

David Herold, a key figure in the assassination and kidnap plots and one of the first people involved - and one who avoided becoming disheartened when failure arose. He was also introduced to Booth most probably due to John Surrat, the son of Mary Surrat.

Please read this interesting snippet:

David had studied pharmacy at Georgetown College and had worked for several druggists in Washington. In 1863, while working for Thompson's Pharmacy in the heart of Washington, Herold may have delivered a bottle of castor oil to the White House and personally given it to Abraham Lincoln.

It is possible that Herold met Booth because of his friendship with John Surratt. It is also possible that the initial meeting took place in 1863 when Booth purchased drugs to treat a growth on his neck. Because Booth was involved in smuggling quinine to the South, it made sense to befriend Herold who had access to medicines. Additionally, it is likely that Herold was recruited by Booth because of his knowledge of lower Maryland which might be helpful in Booth's plot to kidnap Lincoln and take him south. On the night of Wednesday, March 15, 1865, Herold met with Booth and other conspirators at Gautier's Restaurant on Pennsylvania Avenue to discuss the possible abduction of the president. These plans never worked out.
(Source)

On the day of the assassination Herold was assigned the role of leading Powell to the home of William Seward, this being where he was to assassinate him, escape and then be led by Herold to the Navy yard bridge where they would eventually meet up with Booth and carry on their journey down south to safety.

This plan the plan anyway.. Upon Powell taking his time in the house, as well as screams from the residents, Herold was seemingly spooked and decided, presumably in case anyone nearby also heard the screams, to flee and leave Powell to escape on his own. Upon reaching the bridge, he encountered a guardsman - one who had seen Booth perhaps minutes before the arrival of Herold. He then gave a fake story, and the guardsmen who was currently unaware of the assassination let him pass. Herold then met up with Booth where they both made their escapes down south together.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a05bdcd6daa.jpg[/atsimg]

(Rare Image Of The Young Herold)

They were eventually found by guards on behalf of the now assassinated Abraham Lincoln on the 26th of April. They were in the Garret Farm, one which was now surrounded. At first negotiations took place, Booth only agreeing to come out if demands were met. All of these subsequently refused though and Lafayette Baker, the man in charge of this team looking for Booth and Herold threatened to burn down the barn with the two men inside (as an incentive to literally force them out).

Herold, upon hearing this decided to, like he previously did to Powell, abandon Booth and come out to safety. Booth called out Herold as being a coward before clearing away and letting him find a way out. He was then taken away and tied to a nearby tree to ensure he couldn't escape for a second time.

The trial had only one outcome for Herold. He was clearly and quite heavily involved in the assassination, and alongside Powell and others, he was eventually hung for his actions. There simply was no other alternative for him according to the Military Trial.

Samuel Arnold

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e31a30cc9a44.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: September 6, 1834
Death: September 21, 1906
Type of Death: Arnold was arrested for his role in the assassination. He was pardoned by the new President, Andrew Johnson in 1869 however, and later lived "a quiet life" until his death in 1906.

Sam Arnold is a lifelong friend of John Wilkes Booth. They knew each other as kids and were school mates at St. Timothy's Hall in Baltimore. Arnold went onto join the confederate army and fight in the civil war, unlike Booth, and eventually being discharged due to health concerns.

In 1884 he was recruited by Booth in the various kidnap plots he had. Booth and Arnold no longer being able to fight in the war itself, eventually deciding to seek out other means of "avenging the south", Arnold at this time being described as "Unemployed and Bored" also.

He regularly met with other conspirators, particularly on March 15th, 1865 at Gautier's Restaurant in Pennsylvania Avenue to discuss the possible abduction of the president - this being a key meeting in the kidnap plot - one which eventually failed and caused many to abandon the conspiracy. In fact, Arnold was one of those whom wavered on the overall plans, eventually returning to Baltimore picking up work in the Old Point Comfort, Virginia as a mere clerk.

After the assassination had taken place Arnold, on the 17th of April to be exact, was arrested due to his connections to Booth and was subsequently questioned on his non-existent role in the assassination. He went onto admit to playing a part in the kidnap, but this was all. His co-workers also backed up his claim of being in Virginia at the time of the assassination also.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73b90357426d.jpg[/atsimg]

He was then imprisoned for conspiracy due to the role that he played (the above image is where he spent his time in jail), but avoided being hung along with Surrat, Herold, Powell and Atzerodt. Arnold was found guilty by the Military Commission and sentenced to life along with Mudd, Spangler, and O'Laughlen.

One of the main things that connected him to Booth was actually found in Booth's own hotel room in Washington. Just after the assassination it was obviously searched, and one of Arnold’s letters to Booth was found among his possessions, this letter being one he had previously sent to Booth to try and sway his mind and stop him from carrying out his plans of kidnap.

This mere attempt at helping stop the plot ended up sending Arnold himself to jail. Below is the letter in full:

Hookstown, Balto. Co.

March 27, 1865

Dear John,

Was business so important that you could not remain in Balto. till I saw you? I came in as soon as I could, but found you had gone to W—n. I called also to see Mike, but learned from his mother he had gone out with you, and had not returned. I concluded, therefore, he had gone with you. How inconsiderate you have been! When I left you, you stated we would not meet in a month or so. Therefore, I made application for employment, an answer to which I shall receive during the week. I told my parents I had ceased with you. Can I, then, under existing circumstances, come as you request?

You know full well that the G—t suspicions something is going on there; therefore, the undertaking is becoming more complicated. Why not, for the present, desist, for various reasons, which, if you look into, you can readily see, without my making any mention thereof. You, nor any one, can censure me for my present course. You have been its cause, for how can I now come after telling them I had left you? Suspicion rests upon me now from my whole family, and even parties in the county. I will be compelled to leave home any how, and how soon I care not. None, no not one, were more in favor of the enterprise than myself, and to-day would be there, had you not done as you have—by this I mean, manner of proceeding. I am, as you well know, in need. I am, you may say, in rags, whereas to-day I ought to be well clothed. I do not feel right stalking about with means, and more from appearances a beggar. I feel my dependence; but even all this would and was forgotten, for I was one with you. Time more propitious will arrive yet. Do not act rashly or in haste. I would prefer your first query, “go and see how it will be taken at R----d, and ere long I shall be better prepared to again be with you. I dislike writing,; would sooner verbally make known my views; yet your non-writing causes me thus to proceed.

Do not in anger peruse this. Weigh all I have said, and, as a rational man and a friend, you can not censure or upbraid my conduct. I sincerely trust this, nor aught else that shall or may occur, will ever be an obstacle to obliterate our former friendship and attachment. Write me to Balto., as I expect to be in about Wednesday or Thursday, or, if you can possibly come on, I will Tuesday meet you, in Balto., at B----. Ever I subscribe myself,

Your friend,

SAM
(Source)

Michael O Laughlin

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7af5f43b572a.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: 3 June 1840
Death: 23 September 1867
Type of Death: O' Laughlin was one of the first recruited in the conspiracy and he was involved in the many failed kidnap plots of President Lincoln. He was arrested after the assassination, sentenced to life in prison and eventually died there from Yellow Fever in 1867. The others in prison were pardoned in 1869

O' Laughlin was another of Booth's early friends and he as actually one of the very first people to be recruited for plans to Kidnap Lincoln. Maybe due to the fact he was also a soldier fighting in the confederate army, but discharged in 1862 where he returned to Baltimore, and a southern sympathizer like Booth. He was also quite heavily involved in these kidnap plots, all of which failed.

In March of 1865, Booth came up with an extreme plan of kidnapping Lincoln in Ford's theatre, where he was to eventually die, by turning off the lights, kidnapping him and lowering him down to the stage where the conspirators would somehow escape with his body - an extreme plan to say the least and one O' Laughlin would've had a huge role in. It was this plan that potentially caused many involved to waver, presumably seeing Booth as mad.

This was also the time O' Laughlin himself stepped back. This being so, records dictate that he returned to Washington, after previously leaving and ending his involvement in the plot, this merely the day before the assassination was to take place. However, It seems like it mere coincidence still..

April the 17th was when he later gave himself up though, after finding out he was a wanted man, and during the trial they tried to make it seem as though O' Laughlin was stalking Ulysses S. Grant, this being another potential target in the assassination plot, although no such thing could be proven. Even so, O'Laughlen was sentenced to life imprisonment due to his role in the kidnap plots but he unfortunately died while in there due to Yellow fever.

He initially contracted yellow fever on September 19, 1867. Four days later, he seemed to be finally over it, but shortly afterwards he collapsed and after being tended to all night long by another conspirator involved in the plot, Dr. Samuel Mudd, he passed away.. 2 years before all whom were in prison due to their involvement in the plot were to be released by Andrew Johnson, the new president.

John Surratt

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b94b4a5b7196.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: April 13, 1844
Death: April 21, 1916
Type of Death: John Surratt died in his Baltimore home on 21st April, 1916, I believe due to natural causes

John Surratt, one of the key players in this entire conspiracy, second only to John Wilkes Booth himself, partly due to the fact he was responsible for recruiting so many other key figures, initially introducing them to Booth. His mother was also one of the most key figures in this case, she is being discussed in more detail below though.

John Surrat though, well, he was, on the outbreak of the civil war, to become a confederate agent, this being something which included carrying messages over the important Potomac river to the confederate army - this river also playing a large role in Booth's later escape plan also.

In December of 1864 though, this being mere moths prior to the assassination, Dr. Samuel Mudd, the man whom claimed to have no knowledge of Booth prior to the assassination, actually introduced Surratt to Booth. Soon after this, Surratt seemingly agreed to help in any way he could after being informed of the plot. His mother also doing the same as her boarding house, as well as Tavern, played large roles in the planning and the escape itself.

Due to the eventual failed kidnap attempts though, Surratt claimed to have refused to be a part anymore. This was where he went to travel to New York, physically forcing himself out of the plot. He did, however, continue working as a spy - primarily to provide information about the Federal prison in Elmira on behalf of General Edwin Lee.

Fearing he would be implicated in the assassination plot though, this of course in April, Surratt immediately fled to Canada. He feared he would be arrested and face the same fate as his mother - the gallows. In September of this year though, still the assassination fresh in people’s minds, Surratt moved to England and later lived in Italy and Egypt - This being where he was finally arrested on 27th November, 1866.

Fortunately for him though, he was, and unlike all the others, to avoid a military trial, instead obtaining a civil one. Most probably due to this he was freed of charges relating to the assassination and was fully released as a free man. He even went onto give public lectures on the exact role he played though. In fact, here is Surratt's own personal account of the assassination. Please see a very short snippet of it below:

Just on the eve of my departure to join a party of gentlemen on a hunting excursion, while I was waiting at the hotel for the train, the proprietor handed me a paper, and said, "Read that about the conspirators."

Little did the man know who I was, or how closely that paragraph bore upon me or mine. That paper informed me that on a day which was then present, and at an hour which had then come and gone, the most hellish of deeds was to be enacted. It had been determined upon and carried out, even before I had intimation that there was any danger. It would be folly for me to attempt to describe my feelings. After gazing at the paper for some time I dropped it on the floor, turning on my heel, and going directly to the house where I had been stopping before. When I entered the room, I found my friend sitting there. As soon as he saw me, he turned deadly pale, but never uttered a word. I said, "You doubtless thought you were acting a friend - the part of a friend - towards me, but you have deceived me. I may forgive you, but I can never forget it."

"We all thought it for the best, Charley," he commenced to say, but I did not stay to hear more. I went to my room, remained there until dark, and then signified my intention to leave the place immediately. I felt reckless as to what should become of me.

After visiting Quebec and other places, with the reward of $25,000 hanging over my head, I did not think it safe to remain there, and so I concluded to seek an asylum in foreign lands. I had nothing now to bind me to this country, save an only sister, and I knew she would never want for kind friends or a good home. For myself, it mattered little where I went, so that I could roam once more a free man. I then went on a venture,and now, ladies and gentlemen, I go forth again on a venture. Gladly would I have remained hidden among the multitude, but the stern necessities arising from the blasting of my earthly prospects have forced me to leave my solitude and to stand again before the public gaze as the historian of my own life. One mitigation to its distastefulness in this and my first attempt, however, is the kindness with which I have been received, and the patience with which I have been listened to, for which I return you, ladies and gentlemen, my sincere and heartfelt thanks.

(Source)

Surratt later lived a relatively normal live right up until 1916 where he eventually passed away at his home in Baltimore.

Edman Spangler

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f83cffa9c5fb.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: August 10, 1825
Death: February 7, 1875
Type of Death: Died in 1975 on a farm handed to him by Dr. Samuel Mudd, of, I believe, natural causes.

Edwin Spangler was a carpenter and someone who was working at ford’s theatre itself at the time of the assassination. Coincidentally though, he also knew Booth and his entire family quite well, working for them during his days of living in Baltimore in fact. During the civil war though, he made the decision to move to Washington and began working as a carpenter and as a scene shifter coincidentally at ford's theatre.

During his time at Ford's theatre, he also, and quite often, looked after John Booth's horses he stored there, presumably while he was on stage for example. Spangler also knew the entire theatre very well indeed, often sleeping there overnight. Perhaps this was why he was recruited by Booth, assuming he was recruited at all as his entire involvement isn't that clear at all. According to some witnesses though, he didn't exactly show any severe love for the president after all..

Joseph Burroughs claims in May of 1886:

I was in the President's box that afternoon when Henry Ford was putting the flags around it. Harry Ford told me to go up with Spangler and take out the partition of the box; that the President and General Grant were coming there. While Spangler was at work removing it he said, "Damn the President and General Grant." I said to him, "What are you damning the man for - a man that has done no harm to you?" He said he ought to be cursed when he got so many men killed.
(Source)

Despite claiming his innocence though, along with many others, Spangler was arrested on April 17th, days after the assassination had taken place. The evidence is described as "questionable" at best but he was still charged and was sentenced to 6 years in prison - eventually, along with the others, pardoned in 1889.

Joseph Steward, a mere member of the audience during the assassination claims this against Spangler though:

I was at Ford's Theater on the night of the assassination of the President. I was sitting in the front-seat of the orchestra, on the right-hand side. The sharp report of a pistol at about half-past 10 startled me. I heard an exclamation, and simultaneously a man leaped from the President's box, lighting on the stage. He came down with his back slightly toward the audience, but rising and turning, his face came in full view. At the same instant I jumped on the stage, and the man disappeared at the left-hand stage entrance. I ran across the stage as quickly as possible, following the direction he took, calling out, "Stop that man!" three times.

Near the door on my right hand, I saw a man (Spangler) standing, who seemed to be turning, and who did not seem to be moving about like the others. I am satisfied that the person I saw inside the door was in a position and had an opportunity, if he had been disposed to do so, to have interrupted the exit of Booth.
(Source)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6bdf7fdc1f1.jpg[/atsimg]

Eventually Spangler traveled to Dr. Mudd's home after being released in 1889, along with the other prisoners. The two men had become friends in prison. Mudd took Spangler in and gave him five acres of land to farm. Spangler also performed many carpentry chores in the neighbourhood. However, Spangler was not in good health and later died on February 7, 1875.

Shortly after Spangler's death though, Dr. Mudd claimed to have found a statement in Spangler's tool chest. It was a brief description of Spangler's relationship with Booth. In it, he said he never heard Booth speak of politics, hatred of Lincoln, or showed any Southern pride. He said he merely heard the shot when it was fired in the theatre, and that a man he didn't immediately recognize as Booth run across the stage. He denied aiding Booth in any manner whatsoever. He basically projects his innocence, even after being released from jail The entire text of Spangler's statement is as follows:

I was born in York County, Pennsylvania, and am about forty-three years of age, I am a house carpenter by trade, and became acquainted with J. Wilkes Booth when a boy. I worked for his father in building a cottage in Harford County, Maryland, in 1854. Since A. D. 1853, I have done carpenter work for the different theaters in the cities of Baltimore and Washington, to wit: The Holiday Street Theater and the Front Street Theater of Baltimore, and Ford's Theater in the City of Washington. I have acted also as scene shifter in all the above named theaters, and had a favorable opportunity to become acquainted with the different actors. I have acted as scene shifter in Ford's Theater, ever since it was first opened up, to the night of the assassination of President Lincoln. During the winter of A. D. 1862 and 1863, J. Wilkes Booth played a star engagement at Ford's Theater for two weeks. At that time I saw him and conversed with him quite frequently. After completing his engagement he left Washington and I did not see him again until the winters of A. D. 1864 and 1865. I then saw him at various times in and about Ford's Theater.

Booth had free access to the theater at all times, and made himself very familiar with all persons connected with it. He had a stable in the rear of the theater where he kept his horses. A boy, Joseph Burroughs, commonly called "Peanut John," took care of them whenever Booth was absent from the city. I looked after his horses, which I did at his request, and saw that they were properly cared for. Booth promised to pay me for my trouble, but he never did. I frequently had the horses exercised, during Booth's absence from the city, by "Peanut John," walking them up and down the alley. "Peanut John" kept the key to the stable in the theater, hanging upon a nail behind the small door, which opened into the alley at the rear of the theater. Booth usually rode out on horseback every afternoon and evening, but seldom remained out later than eight or nine o'clock. He always went and returned alone. I never knew of his riding out on horseback and staying out all night, or of any person coming to the stable with him, or calling there for him. He had two horses at the stable, only a short time. He brought them there some time in the month of December. A man called George and myself repaired and fixed the stable for him. I usually saddled the horse for him when "Peanut John" was absent. About the first of March Booth brought another horse and a buggy and harness to the stable, but in what manner I do not know; after that he used to ride out with his horse and buggy, and I frequently harnessed them up for him. I never saw any person ride out with him or return with him from these rides.

On the Monday evening previous to the assassination, Booth requested me to sell the horse, harness, and buggy, as he said he should leave the city soon. I took them the next morning to the horse market, and had them put up at auction, with the instruction not to sell unless they would net two hundred and sixty dollars; this was in accordance with Booth's orders to me. As no person bid sufficient to make them net that amount, they were not sold, and I took them back to the stable. I informed Booth of the result that same evening in front of the theater. He replied that he must then try and have them sold at private sale, and asked me if I would help him. I replied, "Yes." This was about six o'clock in the evening, and the conversation took place in the presence of John F. Sleichman and others. The next day I sold them for two hundred and sixty dollars. The purchaser accompanied me to the theater. Booth was not in, and the money was paid to James J. Gifford, who receipted for it. I did not see Booth to speak to him, after the sale, until the evening of the assassination.

Upon the afternoon of April 14 I was told by "Peanut John" that the President and General Grant were coming to the theater that night, and that I must take out the partition in the President's box. It was my business to do all such work. I was assisted in doing it by Rittespaugh and "Peanut John."

In the evening, between five and six o'clock, Booth came into the theater and asked me for a halter. I was very busy at work at the time on the stage preparatory to the evening performance, and Rittespaugh went upstairs and brought one down. I went out to the stable with Booth and put the halter upon the horse. I commenced to take off the saddle when Booth said, "Never mind, I do not want it off, but let it and the bridle remain." He afterward took the saddle off himself, locked the stable, and went back to the theater.

Booth, Maddox, "Peanut John," and myself immediately went out of the theater to the adjoining restaurant next door, and took a drink at Booth's expense. I then went immediately back to the theatre, and Rittespaugh and myself went to supper. I did not see Booth again until between nine and ten o'clock. About that time Deboney called to me, and said Booth wanted me to hold his horse as soon as I could be spared. I went to the back door and Booth was standing in the alley holding a horse by the bridle rein, and requested me to hold it. I took the rein, but told him I could not remain, as Gifford was gone, and that all of the responsibility rested on me. Booth then passed into the theater. I called to Deboney to send 'Peanut John' to hold the horse. He came, and took the horse, and I went back to my proper place.

In about a half hour afterward I heard a shot fired, and immediately saw a man run across the stage. I saw him as he passed by the center door of the scenery, behind which I then stood; this door is usually termed the center chamber door. I did not recognize the man as he crossed the stage as being Booth. I then heard some one say that the President was shot. Immediately all was confusion. I shoved the scenes back as quickly as possible in order to clear the stage, as many were rushing upon it. I was very much frightened, as I heard persons halloo, "Burn the theater!" I did not see Booth pass out; my situation was such that I could not see any person pass out of the back door. The back door has a spring attached to it, and would not shut of its own accord. I usually slept in the theater, but I did not upon the night of the assassination; I was fearful the theater would be burned, and I slept in a carpenter's shop adjoining.

I never heard Booth express himself in favor of the rebellion, or opposed to the Government, or converse upon political subjects; and I have no recollection of his mentioning the name of President Lincoln in any connection whatever. I know nothing of the mortise hole said to be in the wall behind the door of the President's box, or of any wooden bar to fasten or hold the door being there, or of the lock being out of order. I did not notice any hole in the door. Gifford usually attended to the carpentering in the front part of the theater, while I did the work about the stage. Mr. Gifford was the boss carpenter, and I was under him.
(Source)

Please see the next post. Thank you..
edit on 12-7-2011 by Rising Against because: Code fail

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Mary Surratt

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87e124c3613d.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: May 1820(?)/1823(?)
Type of Death: Hung on the 7th of July 1885 for her involvement in the Lincoln Assassination. She was the first women in American history to be hung.

Mary Surratt, the mother of confederate agent and key figure in the Lincoln plot, John Surratt was seemingly involved in the plot and in 1865 was the last of those 4 hung for being involved in an assassination attempt on a government figure. Originally, it was in 1851 though that the original surratt home burnt down, due to this though, they chose to build a home/tavern, also buying a farm.

They established a tavern and later a post office. The tavern itself in operation by the end of 1852, and by 1853 they were also living in the new Surratt house and tavern. John Surratt Sr. also bought the Washington D.C. property that would later become Mary's famous and all important boarding house - This being one location used by the conspirators to live and plan.

In 1864, they moved to the Washington home, all the while renting out the tavern unwillingly to the very man who would help in convicting Mary. To help make some more money, the house in Washington was also rented, again this proving very important as it's been claimed that many of the conspirators, particularly Powell, often visited and or stayed here at various times, John Wilkes Booth being another regular.

Boarding House as seen in 1885:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a3042535585.jpg[/atsimg]

The boarding house as seen today:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/edb70708de06.jpg[/atsimg]

According to one of the regular residents:

Lewis Weichmann, who attended college with John Surratt, resided at Mary Surratt's boarding house in Washington during the period in which the conspiracy plot was hatched. Weichmann, although describing his landlord as "exemplary" in character and "lady-like in every particular," provided testimony that incriminated Mary Surratt. He described numerous private conversations in the Surratt house between Mary and Booth, Powell, and other conspirators. Typically, according to Weichmann, Booth would ask Mary--if John were not at home--if she could "go upstairs and spare a word." He testified that on April 2 Mary Surratt asked him "to see John Wilkes Booth and say that she wished to see him on 'private business'"--and that Booth visited with her in her home that evening. He told of Booth giving him $10 on the Tuesday before the assassination which he was to use to hire a buggy to take Mary Surratt to Surrattsville to collect--according to Surratt--a small debt.

On the day of the assassination, April 14, Mary Surratt sent Weichmann to hire a buggy for another two-hour ride to Surrattsville. Weichmann reported that Surratt took along "a package, done up in paper, about six inches in diameter." Surratt and Weichman arrived sometime after four at Surratt's tavern. Surratt went inside while Weichmann waited outside or spent time in the bar. Surratt remained inside about two hours. Between six and six-thirty, shortly before the began their return trip to Washingon, Weichmann saw Mary Surratt speaking privately in the parlor of the tavern with John Wilkes Booth. At nine o'clock, Surratt saw Booth for a last time when he visited her home in Washington. After the visit, according to Weichmann, Surratt's demeanor changed--she became "very nervous, agitated and restless."
(Source)

Mary always maintained her innocence, and the same was said about her by the co-conspirators also. But she is reportedly being seen having private conversations with those involved in the plot at certain times, not forgetting seemingly aiding Booth in his escape plan by storing material for him along his escape route which led past her tavern, all of these things together making it at least seem as though she was involved in the plot in some way.

Anyway, after the assassination, or later that night in fact, officers arrived at her boarding house in Washington to question her and to question John Surratt, her son and fellow conspirator. Even worse still, they arrived at around 11pm on the 17th, which was where Lewis Powell arrived, originally claiming he was there to "fix a gutter" - suspicious given the time. Due to this, all were arrested and further questioned. Again, this implicating Mary further in the plot

Mary Surratt claimed total innocence. She said she knew nothing of Booth's plans, and that her trips to Surrattsville had to do with collecting some money she was owed by a man named John Nothey.

One thing that looked suspicious about Mrs. Surratt was that she claimed she had never seen Lewis Powell before when he appeared at her boardinghouse on April 17. He had been there many times before the assassination. Was she lying, or was this due to poor eyesight?

Mrs. Surratt was tried along with seven men. Her attorneys, Frederick A. Aiken and John W. Clampitt, were inexperienced. In jail Lewis Powell maintained Mrs. Surratt was 100% innocent. However, she was convicted mostly due to the testimony of John Lloyd and Louis Weichmann. These men drew great criticism for their testimony. Nearing age 60 and dying, on June 2, 1902, Weichmann allegedly called to his sisters, asked them to get pen and paper, and told them to write "This is to certify that every word I gave in evidence at the assassination trial was absolutely true; and now I am about to die and with love I recommend myself to all truth-loving people." However, this statement has never been produced and must presumed to be lost. Also, John Lloyd stuck to his damaging testimony at the 1867 trial of John Surratt.

In court Mrs. Surratt was dressed in black, with her head covered in a black bonnet. Her face was mostly hidden behind a veil. The jury voted the death penalty for her but added a recommendation for mercy due to her "sex and age." The recommendation was that the penalty be changed to life in prison. (** see below **)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7549fbd44f61.jpg[/atsimg]

President Andrew Johnson maintained that he never was shown the plea for mercy. Judge Advocate Joseph Holt said he had been in Johnson's presence when the president read the plea. Johnson was quoted as saying that Mary Surratt "kept the nest that hatched the egg." Anna Surratt tried in vain to meet with the president. Thus, along with Lewis Powell, David Herold, and George Atzerodt, Mary Surratt was executed by hanging on July 7, 1865. She wore a black dress and black veil. Her last words on the scaffold were "Don't let me fall."

Even Captain Christian Rath, the hangman, did not expect Mrs. Surratt to be executed. In his personal account of the hanging he stated, "The night before the execution I took the rope to my room and there made the nooses. I preserved the piece of rope intended for Mrs. Surratt for the last. By the time I got at this I was tired, and I admit that I rather slighted the job. Instead of putting seven turns to the knot - as a regulation hangman's knot has seven turns - I put only five in this one. I really did not think Mrs. Surratt would be swung from the end of it, but she was, and it was demonstrated to my satisfaction, at least, that a five-turn knot will perform as successful a job as a seven-turn knot."
(Source)

Mary just prior to being hung:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/efb4f71d607d.jpg[/atsimg]

(Mary is situated to our left - this picture has also been repeated in this thread)

Dr. Samuel Mudd

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5abdc633283d.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: December 20, 1833
Death: January 10, 1883
Type of Death: Mudd died of pneumonia in in 1883. He missed the death penalty in 1885 by 1 single vote.

Mudd's involvement in the assassination, or the entire plot itself should I say, is questionable at best. Admittedly though, he missed the death penalty by 1 single vote in 1885, but the evidence isn't great as Mudd could simply have been in the wrong place at the wrong time as the "evidence" suggests.

You see, speculation over when he met John Wilkes Booth exactly has arisen over the years. Mudd himself claiming to not know him, but only see him for the first time after he had assassinated the president and was looking for a doctor to heal his injured leg. When a military investigator tracking Booth's escape route reached Mudd's home though (see below) on April 18 for example, Mudd claimed that the man whose leg he fixed "was a stranger to him." I believe he also sent them on a route which differed to Booth's, possibly on purpose. It's also worth noting that he didn't even inform authorities of Booth's presence right away. Instead, he waited well over a day to inform anyone of him and by this time Booth was long gone.. well, he was as far as he could possibly be taking into consideration his badly injured leg.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f9a5eb33634a.jpg[/atsimg]

(Samuel Mudd's home)

When they, the authorities, came back later they was given some of Booth's possessions, namely the boot he had left there (as it was cut off from Booth to assess the damage to his leg). In the boot was the name John Wilkes Booth - this placing Mudd in a suspicious light as he had maintained he had no idea who the man was still.

Due to all of this Mudd was then arrested by the government and was eventually charged with conspiracy and for harbouring fugitives. A previously unknown statement by conspirator George Atzerodt indicated that John Wilkes Booth had sent liquor and provisions to Dr. Mudd's home two weeks prior to the assassination. Like the other defendants, Dr. Mudd was found guilty and was sentenced to life imprisonment missing the death penalty by 1 mere vote. He was then pardoned in 1889 and kept in contact with fellow conspirator Ed Spangler.

George Atzerodt

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d06a5a1e9ea.jpg[/atsimg]

Born: June 12, 1835
Type of Death: Hung after being found guilty of being involved in an assassination plot against the Vice president, Andrew Johnson.

George Atzerodt, moving to America from Germany I believe in 1842 initially became involved in the plot via John Surrat, the confederate agent. Initially Atzerodt was earning extra money via helping confederate agents, such as Surratt, cross the Potomac river.

Surrett eventually went onto invite him to Washington, by this time he was already implicated in the plot, which was where he introduced him to John Wilkes Booth - this being where Atzerodt was to start his involvement in the overall plot. He also, among some of the other conspirators like I mentioned, stayed at the boarding house owned by Mary Suratt, John's mother, whom eventually grew tiresome of him and his drinking.

On the day of the assassination though, Atzerodt was given the order to book a room at the same hotel before being ordered to carry out the deed to assassinate Johnson, this room being 126 at the Kirkwood House directly above where Johnson was staying. He initially agreed but later lost his nerve, this made him the only assassin not to actually attempt an assassination.

What's odd is prior to the assassination he was acting "suspiciously" and asking the bar staff about the habits of Johnson. He was certainly giving the impression he was going to go through with it. But, it seems as though he simply lost his nerve and decided not to go through with it in the end. Even so, he was a well known friend of Booth and due to this, his room was searched after the assassination in which he was to be arrested and be forever known as one of the assassins, despite never making any such assassination attempt.

Atzerodt was arrested on April 20th at the home of his cousin, Hartman Richter, in Germantown, Maryland and was eventually charged for his involvement. He was then sentenced to death along Surratt, Herold and Powell. George Atzerodt just prior to being Hung:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/efb4f71d607d.jpg[/atsimg]

(George Atzerodt is the man in the center with the noose around his neck. To our left is Mary Surrat.)

"Goodbye, gentlemen. May we all meet in the other world!" were his last words.

Just prior to the assassination though, he gave a confession to Baltimore Provost Marshall James McPhail. This confession never became a part of the court record because his attorney, Captain William E. Doster, objected to any testimony by McPhail, and it was only found relatively recently I believe. As recent as 1977 in fact. Here it is:

James Wood sometimes called Mosby boarded with Mrs. Murray an Irish woman on the corner of 9 & F St. in a three story house, front on the upper end of the P.O. and South End of Patent Office - with basement entrance on the left side going up 9th St. from Avenue. He was a little over six feet, black hair, smooth round face, gray coat black pants, & spring coat mixed with white & gray. Saw him last time on Friday evening about 5 o'ck with Booth. He sent for letters to the post office with James Hall. He was brought from New York. Surratt told me so. He said he had been a prisoner in Balte, near the depot. He was arrested for whipping a negro woman. Mosby was Wood's nick name - did not know him by any other name than mentioned. Gust. Powell now arrested in Old Capitol was one of the party. He went also by name of Gustavus Spencer, Surratt and Spencer came from Richmond, together just after it had fallen.
James Donaldson, a low chunky man about 23 or 24 years of age, small-potted, dark complexion (not very) deep plain black suit; only saw him one time & this was Wednesday previous to the murder, he was having an interview with Booth and told him to meet him on Friday eve & he replied he would and left and went up Penn. Avenue towards the Treasury building. I was under the impression he came on with Booth.

Arnold, O'Laughlin, Surratt, Harold, Booth, and myself met once at a saloon or restaurant on the Aven. bet 13 & 14 St.

The Saml. Thomas registered on the morning of the 15th April at Penn Hotel, I met on my way to hotel, he was an entire Stranger to me. I left the Hotel alone on the morning of 15th of April. A Lieut. in room No. 51 will prove this. Surratt bought a boat from Dick Smoot & James Brawner living about Port Tobacco, for which they paid $300.00 and was to give one hundred Dolls. extra for taking care of it till wanted. Booth told me that Mrs. Surratt went to Surrattsville to get out the guns (Two Carbines) which had been taken to that place by Herold. This was Friday. The carriage was hired at Howard's.

I same a man named Weightman who boarded at Surratt's at Post Office. he told me he had to go down the Country with Mrs. Surratt. This was on Friday, Also.

I am certain Dr. Mudd knew all about it, as Booth sent (as he told me) liquors & provisions for the trip with the President to Richmond, about two weeks before the murder to Dr. Mudd's.

Booth never said until the last night (Friday) that he intended to kill the President.

Herold came to the Kirkwood House, same evening for me to go to see Booth. I went with Herold & saw Booth. He then said he was going to kill the President and Wood , the Secy. of State. I did not believe him. This occurred in the evening about 7 1/2 o'clock. It was dark. I took a room at Kirkwood's. Both Herold & I went to the room left Herold's coat, knife, & pistol in room and never again returned to it. Booth said during the day that the thing had failed and proposed to go to Richmond & open the theatre. I am not certain but I think I stayed one night at Kirkwood's (Thursday) we were to try and get papers to Richmond from Mr. Johnson.

Booth spoke of getting the papers. He would get them out of the Theatre. Wood & Booth were apparently confidential with each other. Plenty of parties in Charles County knew of the kidnapping affair.

One of the men named Charles Yates, knew all about it, he went to Richmond during the winter he was to row the Presdt & party over.

Thos. Holborn was to meet us on the road and help in the kidnapping. Bailey & Barnes knew nothing of the affair unless Booth told Bailey & he told Barnes. Booth had met Bailey on "C" St. with me. I did not meet Booth or any other of the party in Baltimore on or about the 31 of March.

Boyle also killed Capt. Watkins near Annapolis last month, was one of the party, in the conspiracy.

I repeat I never knew anything about the murder.

I was intended to give assistance to the kidnapping. They come to Port Tobacco (Surratt & Booth) several times and brought me to Washington. The pistol given me I sold or received a loan on it Saturday morng after the murder from John Caldwick at Matthews & Wells, Store, High St. Georgetown. The knife I threw away just above Mrs. Canby's boarding house the night of the murder about 11 o'clock when I took my horse to stable. I had the horse out to help to take the President. I did not believe he was going to be killed, although Booth had said so. After I heard of the murder I run about the city like a crazy man.

I have not seen Arnold for some time, but saw O'Laughlin on Thursday evening, on the Avenue at Saloon near U.S. Hotel. He told me he was going to see Booth.

Wood did not go on the street in day time for fear of arrest. When he first came to Washington he boarded at Surratt's. This was in Feby. He (Wood) went with Booth last of February to N. York.

Booth we understood paid the way. I know nothing about Canada. Wood told me he had horses in Virginia. Saml. Arnold and Mike O'Laughlin ought to know where the horses and pistols were bought.

Sam and Mike have a buggy and horse kept at stable in rear of Theatre. Booth had several horses at same place. I think the horses property was in Surratt's name. I sold one of the horses & paid part of the money to Booth and part to Herold, who said he would see Booth about it. The saddle and bridle belonging to Booth is at Penn House, where I left it. I overheard Booth when in conversation with Wood say, That he visited a chambermaid at Seward's House & that she was pretty. He said he had a great mind to give her his diamond pin. Herold talked about powders & medicines on Friday night at Mrs. Condby's. Wood, Herold, Booth, and myself were present. This was a meeting place because Wood could not go out for fear of arrest.

Kate Thompson or Kate Brown, as she was known by both names, put up at National & was well known at Penn House. She knew all about the affair. Surratt went to Richd with her last March and Gust. Howell made a trip with her to same place. This woman is about twenty yrs of age, good looking and well dressed. Black hair and eyes, round face from South Carolina & a widow.

I did not see Surratt for seven or eight days before the murder nor have I seen him since.

Miss Thompson or Brown had two large light trunks, one much larger than the other. Young Weightman at Surratts' ought to know about this woman. This remark made by me in Baltimore on the 31 of March alluded to blockade running & privateering altogether & Booth said he had money to buy a steamer & wanted me to go in it.

I was to be one of them. In this way I was going to make a pile of money.

Booth said he had met a party in N. York who would get the Prest. certain. They were going to mine the end of the pres. House, near the War Dept. They knew an entrance to accomplish it through. Spoke about getting friends of the Presdt. to get up an entertainment & they would mix it in, have a serenade & thus get at the Presdt. & party.

These were understood to be projects.

Booth said if he did not get him quick the N. York crowd would. Booth knew the New York party apparently by a sign. He saw Booth give some kind of sign to two parties on the Avenue who he said were from New York. My Uncle Mr. Richter and family in Monty. Co. Md. knew nothing about the affair either before or after the occurrence & never suspected me of any thing wrong as I was in the habit of visiting and working in the neighborhood & staying with him. My father formerly owned part of the property now owned by Richter. Finis.
(Source)

The attempted Kidnap of Lincoln

As Booth was unable to join the fight for the south in combat, and as I mentioned already, he found his way of fighting by attempting to find a way to capture the very man causing the problems in the first place, Abraham Lincoln. You see, In 1864, Union forces ended the exchange of prisoners of war with the goal of reducing the Confederate army and in retribution for the South's unwillingness to exchange African-American prisoners. Seeing an opportunity to make his mark for the Southern cause, Booth began to devise a plot to kidnap President Lincoln, transfer him to Richmond, Virginia, and then trade him for prisoners. It was his belief that if Lincoln could be carried to Richmond he could be used as a bargaining chip to restart the prisoner exchange, this also rallying wavering soldier’s at the same time.

Using his friends Samuel Arnold and Michael O'Laughlin as accomplices, Booth planned to seize the president as he rode the three miles from the White House to his summer residence at the Old Soldiers Home. Throughout the summer and fall, Booth further developed the plan but took no action toward implementing it. In October, he travelled to Montreal for ten days. While there it is possible that he met with agents of the Confederate government in an effort to gain their support for his plan. Some claim he was also working as something of a "secret agent". Some claim he was working on behalf of the south in a southern plan to decapitate the north.

Through the fall though, Booth went onto add other conspirators such as David Herold, George Atzerodt, Lewis Powell, and Mary Surratt primarily with the help from her son John who was also working as an agent for the Confederate government. His mother, Mary Surratt, owned a tavern south of Washington, as well as operated a respectable boarding house on H Street, this proving highly important as it was here where the planning for the kidnap plots were taking place. Powell, Herold, Booth and the others repeatedly seen here, sometimes even speaking in private with Mary herself. The kidnapping plot increasingly consumed Booth and he spent a huge amount of his own money financing it.

As the winter of 1865 passed, Booth's men became increasingly agitated by their lack of action. With Arnold and O'Laughlin threatening to desert, Booth announced that they would simply have to attempt to capture Lincoln on March 17 as he returned from a performance of Still Waters Run Deep at the Campbell Military Hospital. As the men assumed their positions along the road, they finally learned the plans had changed and that the president had instead attended an event at Booth's hotel with the governor of Indiana. Whether they actually went through with the plan, seizing control of a carriage they assumed was Lincolns and then realized he was not here is unclear. But In the wake of the failed attempt, the team began to break up.

What I would assume frustrated Booth was more than anything here was that Lincoln had gone to the very same Hotel where he himself was staying. If he had not gone through with the attempted kidnap plot, he very well could have been presented with an opportunity to murder Lincoln should he be presented with such an opportunity.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a4b99ff293e.jpg[/atsimg]

(Main The location of the first kidnap plot)

On April 10, 1865, after hearing news of General Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, Booth began to contemplate changes to the plan. With the war winding down, Booth came to the conclusion that the only hope for the Confederacy would be to decapitate the Union government by killing Lincoln and his associates. This belief was reinforced the following day after Booth heard a speech by Lincoln in which the president stated that he intended to give former slaves the right to vote.

Booth became disheartened and turned to drink. He seemed so convinced that there was nothing he could do anymore and that perhaps his plans were over. But, he was presented with quite a rare opportunity, quite possibly the last one, to finally get close to Lincoln on the 14th of that very same month...

The Assassination of Lincoln

Booth seemingly very close to giving up on his "mission" to avenge the south's obvious and apparent demise was seemingly given a lifeline here as on the day of the assassination of president Lincoln, this being the date of the April 14th, 1865, he was told, merely by chance by fellow actor Henry Clay Ford, that the president would be visiting the theatre here later on that evening to sit in on the play, Our American Cousin, one Booth knew very well. He also knew and was well known to the theatre itself giving him, in his mind, a rare and quite possibly last opportunity to finally rid the world of the president.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8610ab656a90.jpg[/atsimg]

(Ticket to the last play President Lincoln attended)

Booth learning this news at approximately 11am I believe, and by noon he started officially making plans that "tonight really was the night" that he would finally be able to assassinate Lincoln. His first plan was to go to a local stable to rent out a horse, something he did so successfully. This being an absolutely key part of his eventual escape plan. By approximately 2pm though I believe he left the hotel in which he had been staying in and set about contacting Lewis Powell, the man he went onto ask to attempt to assassinate Secretary of state, William H. Seward at his own home.

After this, now at around 2:30pm, Booth made his next set of plans for his future escape by travelling to the Surratt boarding house specifically to give to Mary Surratt a package to store at her tavern (as seen below in modern times), which is where he was already storing various weapons and supplies for one of his previous failed kidnap attempts, this being key in his escape plan which was needed for later that evening when Booth was on the run.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e375a8f53f92.jpg[/atsimg]

(Mary Surratt's tavern as seen today)

By 3pm George Atzerodt, the last conspirator to be involved in an assassination, was informed of the plot by note. He was told to rent a room in the same hotel, the Kirkwood House, where Andrew Johnson the Vice-President was staying. He hesitantly did so, he then asked about his movements to the staff here, this eventually leading to his future arrest due to "suspicious behaviour" as well as being a good friend of Booth, but even so, he was the only one not to make any attempt to assassinate anyone. Presumably he couldn't bring himself to go through with the deed.

By 4pm Booth then made him way back to pick up his horse he had previously rented. Here's an interesting snippet discussing what he did at this time which is of interest:

At 4:00 p.m. Booth returned to the stable and picked up the horse he had rented earlier. He road this horse to the Grover Theatre where he stopped, and went upstairs to the Deery Tavern for a drink. While there, he wrote a letter explaining that his plans for kidnapping the President had changed to murder. He then signed the letter not only with his name, but also from Paine, Herold and Atzerodt. The letter was addressed to the editor of the National Intelligencer, a Washington newspaper. About an hour later, as he walked his horse down Fourteenth Street, he met a fellow actor named John Mathews, who was appearing in the play Our American Cousin. He gave him the letter and asked him to deliver it to the National Intelligencer the next day. He then mounted his horse and rode away, passing Ulysses S. Grant who was riding in a carriage. Booth observed Atzerodt walking down the street, and stopped. Booth told him to murder Andrew Johnson as close to 10:15 p.m. as was possible. Atzerodt was hesitant to carry out the plan.
(Source)

Now around 6pm on the day of the assassination, Booth rode his horse to ford's theatre before going elsewhere to have some drinks with a few friends - the last drinks of his life in his mind. Shortly afterwards he returned to the theatre where he set out the next part of his plan which was to map out potential escape routes, eventually deciding on one which seemed suitable - this being the one leading him to jump to the stage. He also drilled a small hole in the door leading to the presidential box where Lincoln would be situated, according to sources, and placing a small piece of wood near the door, something that proved essential later on.. as It would be used to block the door just in case

He then left the theatre to gather a few things, such as his knife and gun, and he also dressed all in black, preparing himself for what he was about to do not very long from now. The planned assassination set for around 10:15PM to be exact, or this was the order for everyone else involved in the plots.

At 8pm though, Booth then met for one last time with those involved in the assassination plot. Presumably this was essential as it would've been where everyone was informed of the plan after the assassination was to occur. Once again, the escape routes such as where everyone would meet after the deeds were done in particular, this being at the famous Navy Yard Bridge. Booth also made sure everyone knew of the plan and was prepared to do what was needed. David Herold was also assigned the role of going with Powell to the residence of Seward and assist in helping him escape as Powell was unfamiliar with the area.

By 9:30, Booth once more went to check upon his horse. He informed Joseph C. Burroughs to watch it for him just outside the exit of Ford Theatre, as Ed Spangler was too busy to do it, again, this proving to be a vital part of the plan as without his escape route Booth would surely be captured.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b2c9b26caa2.jpg[/atsimg]

(Fords theatre as seen in 1865)

The next step was to simply wait till around 10 PM (7 minutes past to be exact) which is when Booth arrived at the theatre for the last time, entering the lobby before getting into position. However, just seated outside Lincoln's State Box was Charles Forbes, the President's footman. To get to Lincoln's box Booth had to get past Forbes. As Booth was a regular to the theatre here, he was simply able to handle Forbes a card that enabled him to pass without question. He was pretty much able to gain access to anywhere he wished in fact.

Booth then entered an area that was dark, but led directly behind the door that led to the State Box. He also covered the door blocking it with the piece of wood he had positioned appropriately earlier on that day. This enabled him to not be disturbed. Booth then waited for an appropriate time, more specifically at around the time where the main line of the play, Our American Cousin, was to be heard. This line well known to Booth would be producing the biggest laugh of the night thus potentially drowning out the sound from Booth's gunfire, as he had previously planned, if only it worked for a few people.

Upon just prior to hearing it, Booth removed the derringer from his pocket, he then opened the door directly behind where Lincoln was seated, walked a few quiet steps closer towards the President, before striking him just behind his left ear without warning.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04a3c316f53c.jpg[/atsimg]

(Drawing of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln)

Sitting in the Presidential box alongside Lincoln was his wife Mary, and Major Henry Rathbone and his fiancée Clara H. Harris. Henry, upon seeing the shot to Lincoln, attempted to subdue Booth, but all to no avail. Reason being, Booth managed to pull the knife out, the one he had previously brought with him along with his gun. He was then able to stab Rathbone in the help arm causing him to back off.

Booth then attempted to jump to the stage to make his escape. I believe he either caught his foot on the flag just below him, or Rathbone may have just clipped him sending him slightly off balance forcing him to land very awkwardly from the 11 feet drop from the box to the stage. It's unclear whether this is where he broke his leg or whether it was later down the line, possibly from being thrown off his horse, but even so, Booth managed to rise up and stumble out the exit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5da6b6d023a6.jpg[/atsimg]

He was heard to have shouted something at this time also, but It's unclear what it was exactly. Some witnesses claim to have heard him shout "Sic semper Tyrannis," (Thus Always to Tyrants) and others thought they heard him shout something else completely different, but It isn't quite clear enough. Either way, the president had just been shot, and Booth was currently making his escape, even pointing his knife at the audience to force them to think twice about attacking them. This being so, some seemingly believed this was part of the act itself still, Booth being a regular actor here after all.

Here is his escape route out of the theatre to his nearby horse, one which he used to escape as without it, capture would be inevitable due to his obvious injuries at this time (the full extent of which was unknown).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7832536b40cf.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the Presidential Box, as seen today, where President Lincoln was tragically shot down.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06c7766c3e29.jpg[/atsimg]

And here..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/efcbab247d9c.jpg[/atsimg]

The Attempted Assassination of Seward and Johnson

As was previously planned, the assassination of secretary of state William Seward was set to occur at 10:15 exactly, much like Johnson and Lincoln also. Well, at a little bit before 10 to be exact, Powell arrived at the residence of Seward where William Bell, seward's butler, answered the door to greet him. Powell claimed he was there specifically to deliver medicine to the already injured Seward. Powell told Bell that he had medicine for Seward from his doctor, Dr. Verdi, and that he was to personally deliver it and show hi how to take it exactly thus gaining entry to the house.

David Herold was also waiting nearby to aid Powell in his escape. A few weeks previously, Seward himself was literally thrown from his carriage, suffering a concussion, a jaw broken in two places, and a broken right arm. His doctors made a jaw split for him, something which later went onto save his life it seemed. Anyway, this injury was used against Seward to gain entry into his own residence, at which point he was still in pain recovering.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54faa9edc592.jpg[/atsimg]

Having gained admittance, Powell made his way up the stairs to Seward's third floor bedroom. At the top of the staircase, he was approached by Seward's son and Assistant Secretary of State Frederick. These two were seemingly suspicious of him though and informed him that William was asleep and no one could possible see him now, at which point Powell insisted even more.

It was at this point that Fanny, William's daughter opened the door informing everyone that he was in fact awake, presumably she didn't see Powell and wasn't suspicious of him at this point. It was here which was when Powell agreed to leave still, thus now knowing where the "target" was situated. He started walking down the stairs before suddenly turning around again and pulling out a gun which he attempted to use, only it backfired on him.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82d4f4f8971b.jpg[/atsimg]

(Secretary of State William Seward)

He seemingly panicked due to this and thus attempted to repeatedly use it as a club on the residents. Due to the noise and screams outside, Fanny looked out the door once more, saw Bell and her brother Fredrick beaten. Powell then ran to the room where William was before attempting to stab him repeatedly.

The first strike missed, but he struck with the next 2 blows, at one point slicing William's cheeks wide open. He also missed his jugular vein due to the braces he was wearing for his previous injuries sustained a few weeks earlier. At this point more residents of the house, awoken by the noise, particularly the screams from Fanny, came out of their rooms, saw what was going on and attempted to subdue Powell.

It was also these blood curling screams which spooked David Herold waiting outside causing him to abandon his post and flee, suspecting that all had not gone to plan and Powell was in trouble. Powell as then forced to fight off another of Williams’s sons, as well as a sergeant that was present here. He did so successfully, ran down the stairs, ran into Emerick Hansell who unfortunately was there simply there to deliver a telegram before being stabbed by Powell in his escape, he ran to where Harold previously was, untied his horse from the tree waiting for him, and rode off into the night, presumably unsure of where to go.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0604248b58cb.jpg[/atsimg]

(Vice-President, Andrew Johnson)

George Atzerodt on the other hand, was set to attack Vice President Andrew Johnson as he was staying in the same hotel as him, but he ended up losing his nerve completely and failed to follow through on the attack in the first place.

Unfortunately though, his room was to be searched, perhaps due to his suspicious behaviour and the fact he was already a well known close friend of Booth, where incriminating evidence tying him to the assassination plot were to be found. He was eventually tried, and hung, along with Powell who was later captured, due to this even without an actual assassination attempt.

Booth, in a mission to de-stabilize the government by taking out It's 3 main rulers in one swift attack being the only one to have a successful mission.

The Escape

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/385b5922cd88.jpg[/atsimg]

As was previously mentioned, by 10:15pm John Wilkes Booth has managed to assassinate President Lincoln, jump to the stage and make his escape out the back exit onto a waiting horse before riding off into the Washington night. Someone after his own escape though, quite possibly a very short while after the initial escape from the theatre, It seems as though his horse threw Booth off, or he either fell from it, this being where he ended up fracturing his leg. Not after jumping to the stage as claimed by some, himself included. After all, after jumping to the stage, he was able to compose himself and then make an escape in the first place, something unlikely with a broken leg I'd imagine.

I believe sometime around half past 10, so around 15 minutes after the assassination of Lincoln, Booth had reached the well known Navy Yard Bridge (see below) leading over the Potomac to Maryland. Booth was questioned, but was subsequently allowed to pass detailing a false story to the guardsman present there at the time.

A very short while after that, David Herold also reached this bridge after frantically fleeing from the home of William Sewart after being spooked, now leaving Lewis Powell to fend for himself. He also gave a fake story to the guardsman as well as a fake name and like Booth, was allowed to pass. The two men both met up together shortly after this and they carried on their escape together..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ac648084add.jpg[/atsimg]

(Image of the Navy Yard Bridge)

Booth and Herold arrived in Surrattsville at approximately midnight, this being where they made their way to the tavern owned by Mary Surratt, and rented by John Lloyd. Previously in the day he was given a package by Mary Surratt whom requested it be taken to this location for this very meet. I believe weapons and other material useful in an kidnap plot were also previously stored here and were the target of the now on the run Booth and Herold.

In less than five minutes, they were off again, heading further down south in search of safety. This eventually led them to the residence of Dr. Samual Mudd, this being at approximately 4am primarily due to the injuries sustained by Booth which were a broken leg either by jumping to the stage or via other means. Samuel Mudd was also acquainted with Booth prior to the assassination and was a fellow "Southern sympathizer".

Meanwhile, in Washington at this time, the president was still alive after the fatal shot had been delivered to him, although he was in a very bad way indeed - his wounds were clearly proving to be fatal in fact. The president lay dying in a private home across the street from Ford's Theatre which was where he was moved after the assassination had taken place.

In the early morning of April 15th, 1865 at 7:22 a.m., President Abraham Lincoln was pronounced dead, the result of a gunshot wound inflicted by assassin John Wilkes Booth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10626782acda.jpg[/atsimg]

Just after Abraham Lincoln had been shot on the evening of April 14, he was carried from his State Box at Ford's Theatre across the street to the Petersen House, located at 453 Tenth Street (now 516 Tenth Street). This house was owned by William Petersen, a tailor, who rented out rooms. The room to which President Lincoln was taken was rented by William T. Clark, who happened to be out of town. Being quite tall, Lincoln did not fit on the bed, so he was placed on it diagonally. Extra pillows were supplied so that Lincoln's head could be elevated. While Lincoln was still alive, doctors, using a steel probe, located the .44 caliber lead ball, but as it was lodged in his brain, removal was impossible. One astonishing fact is that a few months before, this same room had been rented by an actor named Charles Warwick. On one occasion, John Wilkes Booth visited Warwick and fell asleep on the same bed on which Lincoln would later die .
(Source)

Anyway, despite the time Mudd agreed to help (presumably unaware of the death of the president), and aid Booth and his badly injured leg. They were allowed to stay the night and Mudd even went to the trouble of making booth a pair of crutches to further aid him, I believe spending his own money. The next day It was arranged that a carriage, with the help from Mudd's father, would be used for Booth although instead of suffering through the pain of riding on a horse, although unfortunately no such thing could be arranged for real.

Harold, who went with Mudd to organize this returned back to the home residence which was where Booth remained. Samuel Mudd however carried on his journey to Bryantown and it was here which was where he claims to have found out about the assassination of Lincoln.

It's unclear whether Booth and Harold left before Mudd was to return home, or whether he asked them to leave himself but we know they did indeed carry on their journey at around this time and Mudd failed to inform authorities of them until well over a day after they had departed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9effbf366f39.jpg[/atsimg]

(The route leaving Samuel Mudd's home)

Upon leaving the house, Booth and Harold were seemingly undecided in where they would travel to next. Sources state that they were originally planning to travel to the home of fellow Confederate sympathizer William Burtles southeast of Bryanstown and on the eastern side of the Zekiah Swamp, but, and after potentially becoming lost at this difficult time, they decided the best course of action would instead be to travel to the home of Samuel Cox, another confederate sympathizer nearby.

This was a fortunate move as Cox had agreed to help them. Although he later claimed to authorities that he did not. But, he certainly did and he told them to stay hidden in a pine thicket approximately two miles away from his home in order to cover his own tracks it would seem. The next day, Cox allegedly sent his adopted son to bring Thomas A. Jones, a known Confederate agent there to help. After he arrived, Cox then asked Jones to get Booth and Herold across the Potomac and into Virginia. Jones agreed to help and he went in search of where Booth and Harold were staying in the nearby woods as soon as it was safe to travel across.

It would be 4 days though before it was possible though, and at which time Booth and Herold were regularly being supplied with food by Cox, Jones and another gentleman called Franklin Robey. During this time, after being alerted and following the possible routes, soldiers on behalf of Lincoln came dangerously close to the location of Booth, this causing them to eventually shoot their own horses out of fear that they would give their position away. Luckily for them though, they were not found, instead they evaded capture once more.

By the 21st, they were once again ready to go on the move. Jones gave a compass to Booth and Herold and he also had a course mapped out for them to aid in their escape route across to Point Mathias, VA and on down to Machodoc Creek. The pair became disorientated though and ended up going in the complete opposite direction. Herold initially recognized this and in doing so, they turned around and started to head downstream to their intended target, something they could no longer reach at this exact time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d20f7e63174e.jpg[/atsimg]

(The official wanted sign for Booth, Herold and Surrat - Surrat being someone who was also suspected of playing a role in the assassination Itself)

Familiar with the area though, he guided Booth to a farm owned by his friend Peregrine Davis. Known as Indian Town, the farm was inhabited by Davis' son-in-law, John J. Hughes. Coming ashore, Hughes fed the men and allowed them to stay through the evening of April 22. At sundown, Booth and Herold departed in a second attempt to cross the river, which they did so successfully.

On the night of April 22, Booth and Herold set out from Nanjemoy Creek to cross the Potomac. Unlike their previous attempt, they succeeded in reaching the Virginia shore near Point Mathias. Moving down the river, they erred again by turning into Gambo Creek, just upstream from Machodoc Creek. While Booth remained in the boat, Herold traveled overland to the cottage of Elizabeth Quesenberry. A well known Confederate sympathizer, Quesenberry frequently aided agents moving back and forth across the Potomac. Though away from the cottage when Herold arrived, she returned shortly. During the discussion that ensued, Herold asked for transportation "up the country" for him and his brother. Concerned about Herold's manner and mood, Quesenberry declined and the fugitive departed. In the wake of Herold's visit, she contacted agent Thomas Harbin. Familiar with Booth from their meeting the previous December, Harbin took food to the fugitives and obtained horses from William Bryant. Traveling to the boat, Harbin discussed the situation with Booth and Herold. Mounting up, Harbin told Bryant to take the two men to Cleydael, the summer home of Dr. Richard Stuart. The doctor was known to be friendly to the Southern cause and had been recommended by Mudd.

Arriving at Cleydael, approximately eight miles from Gambo Creek, Booth and Herold attempted to secure accommodations from Dr. Stuart. Aware of the president's assassination, it was clear to Stuart who the two men were despite their use of fake names. Stuart declined to give them beds for the night and also refused to treat Booth's leg on the grounds that he was a physician and not a surgeon. After some persistent arguing, Stuart did allow the men to quickly dine, though he remained outside. Hustling them out the door, Stuart told Bryant to take them to the nearby cabin of William Lucas.

A free black, Lucas also was reluctant to take in Booth and Herold. A racial fanatic, Booth was angered by having to stay with a black family, but saw little alternative. Commandeering the cabin, they forced the Lucas family to sleep outside. Believing his actions to have been of the highest patriotic value to the South, Booth was stunned by the cold reception he had received in Virginia. The following morning, April 24, Lucas' son, Charles, drove Booth and Herold to the ferry landing at Port Conway. Arriving around noon, Booth and Herold found that the ferry was across the Rappahannock River at Port Royal. After having a local fisherman, William Rollins, decline to take them across they settled in to wait for the ferry's return.

While waiting, they met three former Confederate soldiers, First Lieutenant Mortimer B. Ruggles, Private Absalom Bainbridge, and Private William S. Jett. In talking with Jett, Herold first identified himself as Boyd and that his companion was his brother, James W. Boyd. As they continued to talk, Herold admitted their true identities and that they had killed the president. Hearing this, Jett agreed to aid the fugitives in securing lodging once they crossed the river. Once they reached the south bank, Jett sought beds at the house of Randolph Peyton in Port Royal. Refused, he decided to take Booth and Herold south towards Bowling Green with the goal of finding lodgings with the Garrett family. Arriving at the Garrett Farm, Jett introduced Booth as Boyd. Richard Garrett agreed to let "Boyd" stay until Jett returned for him. Herold remained with Jett and the party continued onto Bowling Green.

This was an unfortunate turn of events masquerading as a "lucky break" it would seem as it was here, at the Garret Farm which was where Booth was to be found by soldiers, then killed for his actions. They were already on his tail by this time in fact. And getting closer..

They already suspected he had crossed the Potomac river previously something which proved right. Not forgetting they came dangerously close to Booth on the 16th while he and Herold were staying in the woods nearby Samuel Cox's home.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf70037918ea.gif[/atsimg]

(Image of The Garrett Farm.)

One of the men in charge of finding Booth in the first place was called Lafayette Baker. With-in days of the assassination he already had a list of those potentially involved in the plot, including Booth and Herold, It was he and his men who had suspected Booth had crossed the river and was heading south, determined to capture him he sent Lieutenant Edward P. Doherty and twenty-five men from the Sixteenth New York Cavalry to capture them. It was these who came so close days before..

Following the same route as Booth had done previously, the men were tipped off by a man called Dick Wilson who had informed them Booth and Herold were there previously. Through further investigative work, they, the solders, found out about the involvement of Jett also. According to sources:

Crossing the river on the evening of the 25th with Rollins as their guide, Doherty's men searched The Trappe and later captured Jett at the Star Hotel. Having been warned of the cavalry's approach, Booth and Herold hid in the woods near the farm. Returning, they were informed by Garrett that they were no longer welcome in the house, but could stay in the tobacco barn. At the hotel, Jett, with a gun to his head, confessed that Booth had been left at the Garrett Farm. Taking Jett, Doherty's men retraced their steps towards the farm, arriving around 2:00 AM on April 26. Surrounding the house, Doherty, Luther Baker, and Conger pounded on the door. When Garrett answered he was threatened into revealing the location of Booth and Herold.
(Source)

He then informed them they were in the nearby barn which they then completely surrounded. They had, after a huge manhunt, found and then cornered the 2 men, Booth and Herold. The entire escape, location to location, is as follows:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b9fbbd9c9d3.png[/atsimg]

Baker, one of the soldiers then set about negotiating with Booth and Herold all to no avail it seemed as after an hour, they were getting nowhere as they still refused to come out. It was then that Baker threatened to set the barn on fire at which point Herold wavered. After previously running out on Powell leaving him to fend for himself, he now did the same to his friend, John Wilkes Booth also.

He was then taken away and tied to a nearby tree to ensure he couldn't escape for yet another time. By 4am, Booth still remained in the barn. It was now which was when the barn was to be set on fire in the hope Booth would also give himself up.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/046771411e51.jpg[/atsimg]

As he was moving towards the door, wielding a pistol, Booth was, against direct orders, shot by Sergeant Boston Corbett. The bullet allegedly pierced his spine and at that point paralyzed him. The barn was then stormed and the soldiers managed to pull Booth away before he could be burnt by the flames which now engulfed the barn.

Booth didn't live for much longer than this though, dying shortly after damn on April 26th, 1865. As he lay wounded, Federal soldiers carried him from the shed and placed him on the porch of the Garrett home. One of the soldiers was sent to Port Royal for a doctor, Dr. Charles Urquhart, Jr, who did not arrive until daylight. The doctor had arrived while Booth was still alive, but it was useless. His wounds were proving fatal.

Booth, shortly before he died allegedly could be heard to have said: "Tell my mother that what I did I did for the good of the country." He also looked at his hands before crying out "Useless! Useless!" - These being his last words. Meanwhile, the shed had burned to the ground, and soldiers were hunting in the ruins for vestiges. They found two revolvers, that were ruined in the fire, however one Federal soldier found Booth's carbine rifle.

Here is Booth's diary: John Wilkes Booth - A Diary

Here is a fascinating link to his autopsy, someone confirming his presence it would seem. John Wilkes Booth - The Autopsy

The eventual executions of the conspirators

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07a25fd480af.jpg[/atsimg]

Almost immediately after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, Secretary of War Edwin Stanton ordered Lafayette Baker to Washington with the telegraphic appeal: "Come here immediately and see if you can find the murderer of the President." - Baker eventually arriving on the 16th. By the 17th, most of those actually charged were either arrested or turned themselves in - Mary Surrat's own home being searched on this day after it was previously searched for the first around 6 hours after the assassination had taken place, searched under the guidance from Stanton himself and Booth was so well known to have visited here on a regular basis.

By the 20th, George Atzerodt was also arrested at the home of his counsins in Maryland. He was originally deemed suspicious due to his actions on the day of the assassination, just prior to the time where he was supposed to assassinate Johnson, and also by the fact that Booth had incriminating evidence pointing to Atzerodt in his own hotel room that was searched. This is not all, after a search of Atzerodt's own room under a pillow was a loaded revolver, a large bowie knife, a map of Virginia, three handkerchiefs, and a bank book of John Wilkes Booth. Very incriminating evidence indeed..

Booth and Herold themselves being arrested and/or killed by the 26th and Doctor Mudd not long after this either as his story didn't seem to add up and he was deemed very suspicious.

One suspected conspirator would completely elude the investigators for more than a year though, and after he himself was caught in Egypt, he received a civilian trial as opposed to a military one and was subsequently freed.

The trial of the conspirators itself began on 10th May, 1865. The military commission included leading generals such as David Hunter, Lewis Wallace, Thomas Harris and Alvin Howe. Joseph Holt was chosen as the government's chief prosecutor. During the trial Holt attempted to persuade the military commission that Jefferson Davis and the Confederate government had been involved in conspiracy. This being something many people believe in, to this day it would seem. That the south planned an attack against the north using John Wilkes Booth as the assassin for such a thing, thus why he was heading south.. it was where he would be safe.

By the end of June though, the fate of the arrested individuals were finally known. Powell, Herold, Surratt and Atzerodt were to be hanged while everyone apart from Ed Spangler would face life in prison. Spangler receiving 6 years. Those sentenced to life in prison were all eventually pardoned by Andrew Johnson in 1989 anyway.

On June 29, 1865, the Military Commission met in secret session to begin its review of the evidence in the seven-week long trial. A guilty verdict could come with a majority vote of the nine-member commission; death sentences required the votes of six members. The next day, it reached its verdicts. The Commission found seven of the prisoners guilty of at least one of the conspiracy charges, and Spangler guilty of aiding and abetting Boooth's escape. Four of the prisoners (Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, George Atzerodt, and David Herold) were sentenced "to be hanged by the neck until he [or she] be dead." Samuel Arnold, Dr. Samuel Mudd and Michael O'Laughlen were sentenced to "hard labor for life, at such place at the President shall direct." Edman Spangler received a six-year sentence.

The Commission forwarded its sentences and the trial record to President Johnson for his review. Five of the nine Commission members, in the transmitted record, recommended to the President--because of "her sex and age"--that he reduce Mary Surratt's punishment to life in prison. On July 5, Johnson approved all of the Commission's sentences, including the death sentence for Surratt.

The next day General Hartrandft informed the prisoners of their sentences. He told the four condemned prisoners that they would hang the next day.

Surratt's lawyers mounted a frantic effort to save their client's life, hurriedly preparing a petition for habeas corpus that evening. The next morning, Surratt's attorneys succeeded in convincing Judge Wylie of the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia to issue the requested writ. President Johnson quashed the effort to save Surratt from an afternoon hanging when he issued an order suspending the writ of habeas corpus "in cases such as this."

Shortly after one-thirty on the afternoon of July 7, 1865, the trap of the gallows installed in the courtyard of the Old Arsenal Building was sprung, and the four condemned prisoners fell to their deaths. Reporters covering the event reported that the last words from the gallows stand came from George Atzerodt who said, just before he fell, "May we meet in another world."
(Source)

Here's a fascinating link discussing the trial in more detail: The trial of the Lincoln Conspirators

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72082c0452c6.jpg[/atsimg]

(Image of the 4 hanged)

William Coxshall, the man who was to be assigned the task of dropping the trapdoor on the left side of the gallows.

The prison door opened and the condemned came in. Mrs. Surratt was first, near fainting after a look at the gallows. She would have fallen had they not supported her. Herold was next. The young man was frightened to death. He trembled and shook and seemed on the verge of fainting. Atzerodt shuffled along in carpet slippers, a long white nightcap on his head. Under different circumstances, he would have been ridiculous.

With the exception of Powell, all were on the verge of collapse. They had to pass the open graves to reach the gallows steps and could gaze down into the shallow holes and even touch the crude pine boxes that were to receive them. Powell was as stolid as if he were a spectator instead of a principal. Herold wore a black hat until he reached the gallows. Powell was bareheaded, but he reached out and took a straw hat off the head of an officer. He wore it until they put the black bag on him. The condemned were led to the chairs and Captain Rath seated them. Mrs. Surratt and Powell were on our drop, Herold and Atzerodt on the other.

Umbrellas were raised above the woman and Hartranft, who read the warrants and findings. Then the clergy took over talking what seemed to me interminably. The strain was getting worse. I became nauseated, what with the heat and the waiting, and taking hold of the supporting post, I hung on and vomited. I felt a little better after that, but not too good.

Powell stood forward at the very front of the droop. Mrs. Surratt was barely past the break, as were the other two. Rath came down the steps and gave the signal. Mrs. Surratt shot down and I believed died instantly. Powell was a strong brute and died hard. It was enough to see these two without looking at the others, but they told us both died quickly.
(Source)

Thank you to all of those who actually took the time to read this entire thread, It's very much so appreciated and again, I now look forward to hearing any thoughts from the fantastic and Intelligent members of ATS on the topic of the Lincoln Assassination.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the ideas that Booth may have actually, and somehow, evaded capture. And instead the man who was captured alongside Herold, was nothing more than a decoy, this as well as some of the other "lesser known" theories about this tale of assassination in particular. Thanks for reading once again..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Awesome thread again, will take some time to read it all.

Keep up the great work.

GM

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thank you for creating a thread on one of my favorite Presidents. There is so much to study and learn. I really admire all the research you have done. I am still reading and so enjoying! I just had to let you know now.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you both find the time to read through the entire thread.

I'd love to hear some opinions on the "conspiracy" angles which have come up over the years as well. That would be very interesting..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Oh my. Brilliant views so far from what I've read. Your style of writing and how you bring your opinions into it are fantastic.

Amaaaaazing thread you! Well done

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Haven't read the entire post, but just wanted to comment that you'd get my vote for best ATS poster. Thanks for the well researched and thought-out post - looking forward to reading it.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Coming from one of my favorite posters on ATS right now... that means a lot.

Hope you get a chance to read it all and comment again soon as well.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Great post man. I didn't realize the assasination was so elborate with so many characters involved.

Too bad I can't flag it twice.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yeah, exactly. And the one thing that makes this conspiracy so unique is the very fact that we know the names, and we have the profiles, of those main figures involved.. and it certainly wasn't just John Wilkes booth like most believe it to me. It wasn't even one single assassination attempt also, It was at least three all on different individuals at roughly the exact same time.

This case is much more elaborate than It's given credit for today..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Excellent excellent thread my friend (so good I had to say it twice)

I'll post my thoughts when I look into it a bit more.

S+F

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Sorry Charlie but you are dead wrong about this one.

Lincoln was not killed because he freed the slaves...that is a bastardization of history.

Lincoln was killed because he tampered with the London Bankers aka the London Connection.

So was Garfield and jfk

In August, 1861, Taylor was named Chairman of the Loan Committee to finance the Union Government in the Civil War. The Committee shocked Lincoln by offering the government $5,000,000 at 12% to finance the war. Lincoln refused and financed the war by issuing the famous "Greenbacks" through the U.S. Treasury, which were backed by gold.

It is interesting to note how many assassinations of Presidents of the United States follow their concern with the issuing of public currency; Lincoln with his Greenback, non-interest-bearing notes, and Garfield, making a pronouncement on currency problems just before he was assassinated.

President Garfield shortly before his assassination declared that whoever controls the supply of currency would control the business and activities of the people. Thomas Jefferson warned us a hundred years ago that a private central bank issuing the public currency was a greater menace to the liberties of the people than a standing army."

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

its always about money...

By resorting to the issue of "greenback" currency, Lincoln launched "a national currency policy" which provided that the financing of government and progress, with the issue of "honest money dollars" by the government would take the place of the policy of borrowing "dishonest credit dollars" issued by the private money system.

Quite naturally, the bankers opposed Lincoln's "national currency programme" for under it he proposed to take away from the bankers the privilege of issuing an effective substitute for money. Instead of borrowing from the private money system, Lincoln proposed to use national currency for all government expenses and to pay off outstanding bonds with the same medium of exchange. Instead of government borrowing a fiction of money from the bankers Lincoln proposed to compel the bankers to borrow real money from the government.

thats why he is my favorite pres

"This bill seems to contemplate no end which cannot be otherwise more certainly and beneficially attained. During the existing war it is peculiarly the duty of the National Government to secure to the people a sound circulating medium. This duty has been, under existing circumstances, satisfactorily performed, in part at least, by authorizing the issue of United States notes, receivable for all government dues except customs, and made a legal tender for all debts, public and private, except interest on public debt. The object of the bill submitted to me - namely, that of providing a small note currency during the present suspension - can be fully accomplished by authorizing the issue as part of any new emission of United States notes made necessary by the circumstances of the country - of notes of a similar character, but of less denomination, than five dollars. Such an issue would answer all the beneficial purposes of the bill, would save a considerable amount to the treasury in interest, would greatly facilitate payments to soldiers and other creditors of small sums, and would furnish to the people a currency as safe as their own government.
"Entertaining these objections to the bill, I feel myself constrained to withhold from it my approval, and return it for the further consideration and action of Congress.

"Abraham Lincoln.
June 23, 1862."

penty more HERE

verm
edit on 12-7-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
...hey, rising - you've got some date errors in there... in the first paragraph you've got 1885 - ooops... there was another one too - a guy barely avoiding the death penalty - but - his death date preceeds it by two years - ooops... where theres two, theres probably others - just thought i'd mention it...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Ah, that's frustrating to see. Sorry.

It's a really long thread so I guess there was bound to be a few mistakes here and there. Even so, we're all here to learn after all so feel free to correct me further whenever necessary.

Anyway, I'll reply in more detail in the morning. It's so late here It's early.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Your entire OP is untrue.

It is the mainstream HIS-STORY taught at the Rockefeller founded Universities.....

you want to "rise against" something start with

Eustace Mullins book 'The Secrets of the Federal Reserve'

All other modern conspiracies are mere symptoms of what his research discovered.

I did like the olde tyme pictures tho

verm

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Of course it was a conspiracy, how else would we have survived if he had freed all of the slaves?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
another great post RA
i has alot to live up to now

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Haven't read the post in detail just doing this to keep a track but isn't there also belief that due to Lincoln screwing the banks by not falling into debt with them and printing his own money to fund war also a reason/theory for his assasination? As other presidents that tried to do the same were assasinated or there was at least an attempt. You thread looks like it's in alot of detail will read when i have a spare while. Always like reading things like this.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Your entire OP is untrue.

Believing something to be untrue doesn't automatically make it so. Thinking it does is a serious flaw in logic unfortunately. And in reply to what you previously said, no, JFK was not killed because of banks or anything like that. Far from it in fact, but this obviously isn't the thread for that..

Also, I still subscribe to the theory I provided in my opening post. I tried to remain unbiased and ensure I brought the full story together of course as I felt like it was an important story to share but it's the logical conclusion as far as I can see. Although I'm not fully convinced on a few things still (such as the possiblity of Booth working on behalf of someone else, maybe the south in a plot to destroy the north), but everything else I believe. I wouldn't have added it if I didn't.

You've not changed my mind, and you never will if all you have to say is I'm wrong and what I've posted is "untrue" but even so, thanks for tip about the book. It'll be one I look out for..

you want to "rise against" something start with

My username is a music reference. Nothing more.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article from 'About.com' discussing some of the possible conspiracies surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Some may find it to be a nice read.

Abraham Lincoln Assassination Conspiracies

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join