It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 25mm sniper rifle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For some long-range sniper missions, a .50 caliber (12.7mm) round just isn�t big enough. Barrett, the evangelists of the modern .50 caliber sniper rifle, have built a 25mm sniper rifle (although shoulder cannon may be a more precise term), the XM109. Ten prototype weapons are being made available for testing this month. Designed to destroy light armor, the XM109 is a semi-automatic 25mm rifle that has a 17.6 inch long barrel and an overall length of 46 inches. It weighs in at 46 pounds and has a 5 round magazine. In comparison, the Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle in general use today has a 29 inch barrel, overall length of 57 inches, and weighs in at a mere 32 pounds, with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds.

A spiked bipod is included to steady the XM109 for firing and it has a standard M1319 accessory rail for scopes and other accessories. Barrett will either sell a complete rifle or supply upgrade kits to convert the M107 .50 sniper rifle over to the 25mm configuration, replacing the bolt, upper receiver, and magazine.

To complement this �rifle� is a computerized sight called the BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging Sighting System). BORS is specifically designed for long-range shooting at 1,000 meters and longer distances, measuring and compensating for air pressure, temperature, and the angle of the weapon in relation to the target. Precisely compensating for all these factors and successfully hitting the target on the first shot is possible, but difficult. BORS is designed to take all the sweat-math work out of first-round shots, leaving the operator with simply dialing in the distance to target, selecting the ammunition type, and putting the cross-hairs on the target. Future versions of BORS will incorporate a rangefinder, and night vision capability.

Effective distance armor piercing �lethality� for the rifle is listed at 2000 meters. The 25mm round is derivative design from the AH-64 Apache helicopter�s M789 high-explosive dual purpose (good against armor and personnel) 30mm ammunition and will penetrate at least 50 millimeters of armor plating, making it capable of destroying light armored vehicles, SCUD launchers, and other equipment. According to the ammunition manufacturer, the 25mm round is 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. At some point the system will also be integrated to use 25mm airburst ammunition designed for the OCWS.

One drawback to the weapon is the heavy recoil of the round. Barrett is working on reducing the recoil. Finally, a company slide describes the weapon as a �payload rifle� and also alludes to the ability to remove the muzzle break and replace it with a sound suppressor.
From www.strategypage.com...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Remeber that 12.7mm is half an inch.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
You know he built he first 50 cal sniper rilfle for the CIA to give to the Mujahadeen. Thats going to be an awesum weapon. He is kind of the Burt Rutan of large sniper rifles

The Sight remined me of the line in "Full Metal Jacket"

Joker: How can you shoot women and children?
Gunner: Don't lead em as much

[edit on 12-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It was the Marines and Seals that wanted a bigger sniper rifle than the .50 and at one piont tested a "rifle" chambered for the DU rounds the A-10 uses. God I love the Corp!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollyon
It was the Marines and Seals that wanted a bigger sniper rifle than the .50 and at one piont tested a "rifle" chambered for the DU rounds the A-10 uses. God I love the Corp!

They A-10 round is like a foot long 30mm thats crazy.

As for the 25mm sniper rifle why is the barrel so short? That could be one powerful sniper rifle though. I think I heard of a Russain design for a sniper rifle that was bigger then the 50.cal But I forgot what size round it used.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
sniper rifles now would you like to know more

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

As for the 25mm sniper rifle why is the barrel so short?

I think it could be what they call a bull pup version i.e. everything is smaller but on the other hand it could have something to-do with its accuracy and light weight and compact just a less hassle free version of the 50.cal?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
congrads. russia has a couple of 30mm ones anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The scope is an odd choice for a sniper rifle. Probably was mounted solely for the photo. I'd be very surprised if this makes the inventory anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bisonn
congrads. russia has a couple of 30mm ones anyway.

Thats right Bisons. This rifle is much better than its Russian counterparts though. This will be able to fire the smart ammunition.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The scope is an odd choice for a sniper rifle. Probably was mounted solely for the photo. I'd be very surprised if this makes the inventory anytime soon.

I didnt even notice that but your right I use to have a BB gun with a scope that looked like that. If it will fire a smart round it will require a laser / range finder and a whole bunch of other goodies I would bet.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am sorry.I do not want to carry a rifle weighing over 40 pounds. For extreme distances I thought you had artillery and mortars.
So why did you go to the 5.56 mm round then say you need a heavier caliber?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
stgeorge This rifle is not for all purpose use, it will be used fore spec ops forces behind enemy line. Their only job would be to observe enemy movements and they need something that can take out APC's and humans. I think a two man team can carry a sniper rifle that weights 30+ pounds.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Here are a couple of links from a post I made in another ATS thread about sniper rifles a few months ago.

Assuming the thread was "aimed" towards anti-material or special-purpose snipng, I am very intrigued by the 25mm conversion of Barrett's M82 .50bmg rifle, not just because it is from Tennessee, my home state. It has a variety of special purpose ammo and is essentially an extremely long range grenade launcher. Information is kind of sparse, here is a good PDF on the project:
25mm "Payload Rifle"

...and from an article quite a while back:
Basically, the new rifle will fill the military's need for a "dumb" weapon that can fire the same type of ammunition as the OCSW. Where the OCSW's main round will be a "smart" airburst munition with PD (point detonating) backup, the Barrett Payload Rifle will employ a high explosive round that uses only a simple point-detonating fuse, and a shaped-charge round that employs a PIBD (point initiating, base detonating) fuze. Barrett is apparently currently involved in negotiations to develop these rounds with the help of an as yet unnamed independent ammunition design and develpment company.
Defense Review

Related ATS Discussion
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oh i see we all forgot basic training!
"Me! Me! Let me carry the machine gun Sargeant!"

After slugging in the heat,"Gunner to the left.Gunner to the right." with hundreds of rounds of ammo they started crying.
"here.You want it?"
"Nope.9 milli SMG is good enough for me."

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Dear god that is huge. I guess I feel a little better knowing that if someone ever does clone a T-Rex I could take it down.

Stgeroge, beautiful quote.

Westpoint, I nominate you to haul the rifle through the Afghan mountains, I'd rather just blast em with an airstrike.

You know the funniest part about this is that the spec ops good enough to be given the option to use this gun in the field already get to choose their own weapons, and I'd bet dollars to pounds that they'd rather have something a little lighter and with less kick.

And you know some state is going to leagalize this thing. HAHA I can also just see the ad in Guns & Ammo now: "The Barrett XM109; for when a .50cal just doesn't compensate for enough."

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

[edit on 8/13/2004 by The Astral City]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How many times to I have to say it wont be used for standard infantry weapons it will be used for spec ops. The "Light Fifty" is used now by the US spec ops, if they want they can use the 25mm its up to them. And stgeorge your against every new weapon systems which is retarded cuz if we did not keep changing and making new tech we would still be throwing rocks at each other.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Russians have few typer of 14.5mm rifles. And barret have much longer barrel that this 25mm gun, having max range of over 2 kilometers, while a .50 DU round can penetrate lot of armor. This is enough for most APC's and light tanks. If they want more armor piercing ability use TOW or recoilless cannons.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This is an excellent video originally produced at the behest of the US Congress to demonstrate the power of these weapons.
After you watch the video you'll ask yourself why do they need anything bigger than a .50 .

BIG 50 VIDEO PAGE. Check it out !!

The Russians have a 14.5mm ( standard Russian HMG round ) rifle. However the recoil forces are far greater than the 12.7mm round, making it difficult to handle.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I guess the bigger is better mentality still rules. The 25mm would be good for dug in positions where you don't have to carry it around. In the filed like in Afghanistan you don't need a 25mm cuz the taliban don't wear body armor, and they don't have any armored vehicles they just use donkeys

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hmmm...

2000m "lethality" with that barrell length, projie and shell size???

I think that's a bit *too* optimistic don't you think?

Cheers

JS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join