It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we don't have flying cars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
When I was a kid watching back to the future part 2 and the fifth element I have always thought how cool it would be if we have practical flying cars. My ideal flying car would be a delorean with a hover conversion but we all know that wont happen by the year 2015. Flying cars would be a seiorious issue on the war on terror. I'm talking about flying car bombs!! That would be a seiorious thing to think about when creating a flying car for a viable means of transportation. You would also concider how supid people are on the road on a land car. Drunk driving is a crome but drunk flying would be a result of thousands diying in one accident. And there are still deaths in result of drunk driving. Just would be a hundred times worse with flying cars. Uor cidys would collapse because of bad and drunk drivers flying into buildings. People in the 1950's and 1960's set their hopes up to high on the early 21st century.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

I'm still waiting on my
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00aa9ada4e09.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Maybe in a star wars like civilization. I mean judging by how advance they are it seems drunk driving is none existent

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk... cetech/article-2011985/Flying-car-Terrafugia-Transition-declared-road-legal.html

More of a plane with collapsible wings and a v4, but it is street legal.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingWhales
www.dailymail.co.uk... cetech/article-2011985/Flying-car-Terrafugia-Transition-declared-road-legal.html

More of a plane with collapsible wings and a v4, but it is street legal.

Link dead

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Moller Skycar's

We have them, and the technology is sound. The problem is one of economics, not technology.

A google image search will provide many more flying cars from Moller. I hope to work for this company some day.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Not only drunk driving, but people flying into space, dying..Or people flying to other countries, how would you have a border in the air to regulate who's coming in and out of the country? Drug trafficking and any other illegal trafficking would be out of hand, there's way too many things that could and would go wrong and it would be hard to stop certain things.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Oh and not to mention if you're one of those people who like to drive on close to (E)mpty, and you run out of gas. Your life will be over..lol

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Coming next year.

edit on 8-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 8-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
People fly planes today. I just think with rigid licensing it could be possible.And with todays technology computer assisted flight or complete auto pilot would be possible. I think about this stuff all the time S&f

here is some flying craft I compiled in this thread.They are all single person craft though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I know someone who worked for Boeing in 1981...they were working on flying cars then....here is a link to a 2004 newspaper article....read and enjoy!

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Authenticated

Not only drunk driving, but people flying into space, dying..Or people flying to other countries, how would you have a border in the air to regulate who's coming in and out of the country? Drug trafficking and any other illegal trafficking would be out of hand, there's way too many things that could and would go wrong and it would be hard to stop certain things.

Not only would flying cars not be able to go to space, but they would be restricted to only flying within the distance of 1 full diameter of the craft to the ground. In the cases of Moller and other prototypes that are available, that would be 10 feet. Flying cars are designed so the operator would not need a pilots license.

Of course the drinking would be a problem, but as that is a personal choice that comes down to the operator, that should not deter prolification of new technology, even though in the case of the flying car they've been around since the 60's and 70's.

And as for the traficking of drugs in and out of the country, the Us national security team known as Border Patrol, as well as DHS (homeland security) have already thought of that, and I have personally seen these systems with my own eyes being used in several border deserts in Arizona: IR balloon imaging systems Trust me, nothing gets past those things... at least nothing with a heat signature.

So to conclude; Security- No major risks; Operating- no major risks... If I could afford one I would totally rock it.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
So to conclude; Security- No major risks; Operating- no major risks...

Except for the teenage girl who just flew into your attic because she was texting her BFF about how she just got her license when she spilled her nail polish and ruined her favorite shoes ...

You know it would happen.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Lmao...If people can't drive cars...people can't drive flying cars..thats what I think atleast..

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

yea.. I'm TOTALLY down for take off and landing at my local airport and then just driving off, if I had this baby 7 years ago, I might have bought one just to beat the traffic from Portland to Hillsboro.. LMAO.. However..

Lets think about it shall we... FAA IS NOT going to let this happen LOL.. Why? Who WOULDN'T"T want to freaking just land right on Highway 26 where I live, which is the longest or one of the longest highways wi/o any turns in the USA from what I understand, and drive off the off ramp to work .. WHAT A DREAM that would BE LMAO .. !!

But, only one problem.. Who's going to stop them from doing it.. I mean seriously .. LOL.. the cops .. cuz that would be hilarious to tell you the truth .. I can see it now .. "PULL OVER~!" .. *Flips cop off and yanks the yoke back* and BAM~! .. AIR TIME~! LOL>. puts a whole new spin on the show COPS.. who's the bad boy now LOL

I dunno .. i think we have ALOT to think about before we jump the gun ..
but ..

it would be awesome man !!!! LOL

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG~~!!! I can't stop laughing my *** off because I just saw my daughter in that statement ~!!!

Thx for the great laugh .. ~!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Most people shouldn't even be allowed to drive cars. Flying? Fageddaboutit.

Me, Ima get me one of these:

You can build one of these yourself for about a grand...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Good post! I thought about that myself a lot. But the problem is, if it's not a flying car in terms of a regular plane, meaning it's ability to fly depends on its foreward movement, there would be a lot of problems. First of all, imagine yourself flying a DeLorean. You just can't se what's below you if you don't stick your head out of the window all of the time - same thing with the taxi from fith element. And now picture your town at rush hour, all those cars beeing able to move, but not see in all directions, that would be chaotic. Not even to mention the ability of cars like that to interfere with air traffic controlers, those guys are busy enough with the realitvely few planes a day compared to a situation where everybody could drive his car up in their airspace.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
great post op!
ive often thought of stuff like this myself.
found this though that not a car but its the next best thing...
i offer to you guys .. the hoverbike!!
www.hover-bike.com...
now that looks like a whole lot of fun to ride

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The need for flight controls would be evident.
We just could not have people parking buy hovering on top of one another.
So I'm planning it all out now just in case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join