It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama getting ready to propose new gun control - not from chain email

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
For real this time:

7/7/2011

Half a year after the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), the Obama administration is set to release a series of reforms to the current gun law, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday.

Citing difficulty in getting any gun control legislation through the proper channels:

But in a nod to the difficulties of getting legislation through a Republican-run House of Representatives, only executive orders or administrative actions -- and not an actual bill -- are expected to be handed to Congress.

That should upset anyone. Who needs due process when the POTUS can rule by decree?

Either overselling to the gun-control proponents or being honest:

When the recommendations do come, it will represent the most comprehensive move on the gun control front from this administration to date.

HuffPo

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this up.

My questions are:

What measures are planned to be enacted through executive actions?
Can these executive actions be challenged in court?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Thanks for bringing this up.

My questions are:

What measures are planned to be enacted through executive actions?

The article gives no speciffics though it suggests high capacity magazine restrictions and subjecting private transfers to NICS checks.

Can these executive actions be challenged in court?

Anything can be challenged in a court. Whether or not they'll bother to hear your challenge is a different thing altogether.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I just love (not) how this dictator rules by decree instead of proposing legislation for Congress to vote on.

He's about to piss off 200 million gun owners; who was the genius who called him a genius?

S&F OP
edit on 7/8/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I feel like I need to get out of America ASAP!
I can't believe things have gotten so bad in the last 10 years!
(is it our fault for voting? it seems like our votes don't count anyway)
I would rather us band together and stop all this somehow, BUT HOW DO WE DO IT??
edit on 8-7-2011 by MrEuphoric1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Obama's use of executive orders or administra­tive actions to by-pass Congress showes me he thinks he is King. It's Congress's job to make the laws.

The most important things a tyrant must control is the media and weapons.

Obama already has the media now he's after the weapons.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There's a USA Today article of the same subject with a bit more information.

Spokesman Jay Carney said that the new steps would be made public "in the near future." He didn't offer details, but people involved in talks at the Justice Department to craft the new measures said they expected to see something in the next several weeks.

Apparently a big pusher for this is that screwy "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" group headed by such lunatics as Menino and Bloomberg.

On Friday, the group Mayors Against Illegal Guns, headed by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, sent Obama a letter calling him to act.

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 8-7-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Jared Loughner was a false flag psy-op if you don't see that was set up to bring in gun controls then you either don't have guns or don't care that they will be taken away from you. For everyone else that has guns at the very least you should be aware that the entire justification for this is because of a plan they set up. They knew he was going to shoot there is no way a congresswoman would have no security around her and the amount of people killed or injured far outweighed anything that some skin head neo nazi could have pulled off by himself. And look at his lawyer Judy Clarke, she defended the 20th hijacker of 9/11 Mousaoui why would she just happen to pick up some no name Arizona mentaloid off the street?
edit on 8-7-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I feel this is being pushed upon me.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

I'm noramlly peaceable by nature, but this dicator in office has done more damage to this country than the Bushes combined.

We are no longer living in a Free Republic, but a Chicago thugocracy.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
When are the brain dead masses going to see that this Emperor has no clothes? He is not a genius just because the media says he is. Jeeze he is a Dictator pure and simple ! He will keep regulating and presenting Executive orders to further his agenda,until sufficient force meets him head on. Take my guns?....Good luck with that !!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I feel the same pressure crushing me. It was one thing when it was the will of the moron mass ruling me with might makes right but now it's just the will of one man with one sweep of the pen imposing his direct will with executive order.

Sort of compounds the angst.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
He can try.
He will fail. This'll upset more people than canceling Idol.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrEuphoric1
I feel like I need to get out of America ASAP!
I can't believe things have gotten so bad in the last 10 years!
(is it our fault for voting? it seems like our votes don't count anyway)
I would rather us band together and stop all this somehow, BUT HOW DO WE DO IT??
edit on 8-7-2011 by MrEuphoric1 because: (no reason given)

Voting on issues like this is just a control mechanism. It is a way to sow discontent between a false paradigm. Our real rights ar unalienable and a gift from the creator. Let this man rule by decree, exposing the fact that Congress is irrelevant. How does this hurt America in the long run? When it comes down to it, no one is taking our guns without incident. This is a great day for our nation. God is letting us know who is on our side. I say, bring it on!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

ok so where is this ?? just one news source?? lets see if the W.H. is really open shall we www.whitehouse.gov... so where is this EO? so it will be weeks for it to show up, ok and what will this be on well

The end result, one source close to the discussions said, was a package of reforms "not huge in scope." They are largely expected to mirror the topics covered in the president's op-ed. Gun control advocates have pushed for more, including legislation that would limit the size of magazines -- such as the 32-round clip that Giffords' shooter used -- or a bill that would force private sellers to conduct background checks at gun shows -- which was pushed in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting
i think i can live with that, i would not what to sell my fire arm to a drug user/dealer would you? and give one good reason what you need a 32 round clip for a hand gun, 3 should be enough for any one but then yes you have the right but is it really necessary ? would 13 +1 be not enough and how do you draw it from your holster? just asking, yes a 100 rounds is fun to shoot, but then 10, 10 round clips are not that hard to load as to one 100 round clip.

edit on 8-7-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

ok so where is this ?? just one news source?? lets see if the W.H. is really open shall we www.whitehouse.gov... so where is this EO? so it will be weeks for it to show up, ok and what will this be on well

The end result, one source close to the discussions said, was a package of reforms "not huge in scope." They are largely expected to mirror the topics covered in the president's op-ed. Gun control advocates have pushed for more, including legislation that would limit the size of magazines -- such as the 32-round clip that Giffords' shooter used -- or a bill that would force private sellers to conduct background checks at gun shows -- which was pushed in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting
i think i can live with that, i would not what to sell my fire arm to a drug user/dealer would you? and give one good reason what you need a 32 round clip for a hand gun, 3 should be enough for any one but then yes you have the right but is it really necessary ? would 13 +1 be not enough and how do you draw it from your holster? just asking, yes a 100 rounds is fun to shoot, but then 10, 10 round clips are not that hard to load as to one 100 round clip.

edit on 8-7-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)
At least do it through legislation if you are going to do it.

I don't want to be ruled by an emperor's decrees.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Gabby Giffords, although a Democrat, was a strong supporter of gun rights before the shooting. I wonder if this has changed how she feels? After all, I don't think existing gun laws need to be tightened; we need to be enforcing the ones already on the books - like the ones designed to keep guns out of the hands of nutjobs like Jared Laughner - instead of punishing law abiding, responsible gun owners.

I would start a petition asking her NOT to lend her name to any decree from the office of Emperor Obama, but I haven't a clue how to do it. Anyone want to take up the banner?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but didn't about 2 dozen states threaten to secede back in '09 because Obama was #ting all over the Constitution?

This guy is going to bring us Civil War: Part 2
edit on 7/8/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Actually Obama has issued far less executive orders at this point than either George Bush or Bill Clinton. So in that regards he isn't trampling on the constitution as bad as previous presidents.

As far as the gun control issue Obama has avoided doing anything on this since he's been in office. He knows neither the Congress nor the Supreme Court will side with him but it looks like he's under enough pressure that he's gonna do something very minor just to say he acted.

This wasn't one of his platforms he ran on and frankly I think he'd be happy if he didn't have to do one thing one way or another in regards to this issue. He has other stuff more important I think he'd rather focus on.
edit on 8-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join