It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunman kills 7 in Grand Rapids, runs from police (still at large)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Gunman kills 7 in Grand Rapids, runs from police

news.yahoo.com

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — A gunman opened fire in two separate Michigan homes Thursday, killing seven people, including a child, before leading police on a high-speed chase through downtown Grand Rapids, authorities said.
Within hours, dozens of officers with guns drawn had cordoned off a neighborhood near a small lake in the northern part of the city and shut down nearby Interstate 96. State police believed they had the man surrounded but warned residents to stay in their homes.
The manhunt began after four people were found dead in one Grand Rapids home and three were found in another a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here is another article which gives more info.

Dantzler holding hostages at house After seven slayings on northeast side

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - After a police chase down U.S. 131 on Thursday evening, Rodrick Dantzler -- who is wanted for allegedly shooting to death seven people in two separate Grand Rapids homes -- left his vehicle and ran into a northeast-side home, police said. Grand Rapids Police Chief Kevin Belk fielded questions from reporters about two hours later, saying it appears Dantzler has no connection to the house that he remains inside, in the 3200 block of Rickman NE. Watch the interviews with Belk, at left. The 34-year-old has two hostages inside, Belk said. He wouldn't speculate on who these people are, but said it appears Dantzler targeted the home because it was just off the embankment where he left his vehicle. Police are in contact with Dantzler over the phone, and officials are trying to negotiate with him so that everyone makes it out safely.

www.woodtv.com...

edit on 7-7-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm sure some of you have seen this on the news. This shooting happened literally blocks away from where I work. Was actually afraid to go outside as I didn't know much of the details as he's still at large and is currently holding 2 people hostage.

I drove by police who had blocked off the interstate highway on the way home.

Hopefully no more are killed.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Jesus..
There really are some psychopaths out there.
We rarely ever get stuff like this happening in the UK.
But in the states like once a year?
I pray no-one else gets hurt and my feelings are with all those involved.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Does it sound like he killed his in-laws and wife & daughter? and 3 others? Sheesh, I wonder what made HIM snap?
The article was a little unclear.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I was recently standing in a Subway sandwich shop behind three SWAT officers. My first thought was, my neighbour is a cop and I really don't like my neighbour. (He truly is the most arrogant, abrasive little man you could ever meet.)

I then paused and thought that's just about as intelligent as someone saying, my neighbour is a writer and I really don't like my neighbour. (I'm a writer.)

My point is that we see a lot of hate for cops here on ATS but at times like this I think we're all really grateful for these brave individuals who step forward to protect the community.

I think they're probably just like us: some are jerks and some are good people, and like us, they're all just trying to make a living.

I really hope they're able to bring this terrible situation to a conclusion soon.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

Yeah, it's actually on my local news right now. Not sure if it has hit national. Currently being held up in a house with 2 hostages and police have the house surrounded.

The suspect was released from prison not that long ago, has a long criminal record.

These are the kind of people that are getting released early because it's too expensive to continue to hold them....not sure about this specific case however.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Visit my thread for live police scanner and video.

Live Video and Police Scanner

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

edit on 7-7-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
added another link to OP that gives more info.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Another way to look at it is that he was released to make room for less violent offenders. I'm not here to derail the thread but I would rather have this psychopath remain behind bars than parole him for a man or woman who sold a pound of marijuana. Sad part is rapists, armed robbers and other violent offenders get paroled everyday to make room for simple drug offenders.

Keep us up to date on the situation brother.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You can watch for updates by clicking the link I provided below. Apparently this guy has been snorting "unknown" substances.

www.mlive.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

I agree....the non violent drug offenders are clogging up the system and guys like this will get out when they shouldn't be.

They are saying that on of the female hostages has been let go.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iSwag

Thanks for the link.

Dantzler has demanded a Gatorade and cigarettes or threatens to kill one of his two hostages.

WTF???? For gatorade and cigarettes???

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Thanks Op and everyone, I have been listening
to Kent Co scanner. I can't always understand
what they are saying with the static. Therefore
those in the area let us know what you know.
The main thing would be for no more people
to be injured or killed. Does anyone know how
many hostages he has and ages. I heard
something about a child sleeping, I think.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ahh the ignorance is rampant on this thread! LOL
Man I sometimes wonder why someone always says just because they were let out early is the reason.... Well would it be better if he done it two years from now when he was supposed to get out? Or the other guy stating that we should have everybody should be checked for mental instability
Why? If anyone reads any reputable psychology literature then you will understand that ALL people are affcted by some form of psychosis to some degree and there is no such thing as "normal". I would advocate everyone the freedom to carry a weapon.
I am however, advocating equal protection for all citizens by arming them. I think you will find that an armed society is a polite society. Even if they took away right to firearms we'd still find people hacking up others with knives and bows etc... Know when to hold em know when to fold em as ol Kenny Rogers would say.
I am in no way condoning what this man did and see it as a deplorable crime against the victims and the society. I am just intrigued as the others, as to what was the "trigger".

WOW a gatorade and cigarettes????? He is just trying to stall them because he didn't make a specific demand like mountain stream gatorade or marlboro lite soft packs... So with a broad demand like that I can see that he has no scope of a plan. He may be wanting to get out of there but is trying to buy time to minimize the risks to him. Basic hostage negotiation 101. Then again he could be trippin
edit on 7-7-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Local news is saying just one hostage now. Also being reported that he's threatening to commit suicide. That seems to happen often in these kind of rampages.

The local news here stinks. I think they stated 2 children were killed instead of 1.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Seems to be a lot of other things going on too,
just heard shots fired on Bradford. Is it always
this busy?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Just thought I'd add, CNN is still talking about Casey Anthony (who's daughter died 3 YEARS AGO)....even though as I type a man is till at large who has killed 7 and is holding a hostage.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Police has now confirmed 2 children were killed.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Just thought I'd add, CNN is still talking about Casey Anthony (who's daughter died 3 YEARS AGO)....even though as I type a man is till at large who has killed 7 and is holding a hostage.

I would think if 7 people were murdered, 2 of them children, and there's a hostage situation, the mainstream media would be covering it. Didnt they cover these types of shootings a year ago? I checked and nope....Casey Anthony.
edit on 7-7-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join