It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BIG Uknown comet heads toward sun, nasa cuts feed.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
If the sun was destroyed right now, every living thing on earth would have approximately 8 minutes to live. Then we would all be frozen solid, instantly. It takes 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach us.

8 minutes to live...
Hmmm...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just reading around, if the sun just "went out", it would take a couple weeks for the Earth's surface temperature to reach 0, and after a year it would be around -100. But if we could harness volcanic heat, we could still survive for a while without the sun. Of course that doesn't take into account the gravitational effects, Im not sure what would happen if the Earth just went hurtling through space without the gravity of the sun.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

6 hours of data was missing from C2 and C3 as of last night when I looked. It is now up and, as you show, can be viewed today. SOHO was not down nor was the SOHO site you linked in another post down. The time stamp simply jumped ahead 6 hours until sometime this morning when the missing 6 hours was introduced.

P.S. Notice the small CME after the comet impact.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Dutchinse should go away.
The "feed" was not cut.

Phage, I sat up for an hour last night updating the SOHO feed. It died from 18:24 on the 5th and came back at 00:36 on t 6th. Apparently the images have now been updated, but dutch wasn't making it up. I even posted about it at the beginning of the thread.

And then someone posts this right before me...

The site I linked to was nasa. Theirs should be the first to update right? I am now more aware of further nasa inconsistencies thankfully.
edit on 6-7-2011 by Cross8712 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
If the sun was destroyed right now, every living thing on earth would have approximately 8 minutes to live. Then we would all be frozen solid, instantly. It takes 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach us.

Woah, talk about puttin things into perspective!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentalPriapism
What if our sun was suddenly destroyed? I may want to live underground then, too! I realize it is implausible but at this point in history who the hell knows what's going to happen?
Sorry I realize this is a somewhat pointless addition but I gotta get my post count up there so I can make threads!

Haven't you read the Hobbit? You don't wanna live underground. Besides, I'm sure you'd die.

To the OP, thanks for posting this video. I like dutch's videos and this one is very informative! A huge comet and my sun, check

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

The data stream from SOHO is not continuous. The insinuation that the "feed" was intentionally "cut" is typical Dutchinse nonsense. It happens frequently.

SOHO is not in contact with the earth 24 hours a day. The Deep Space Network is a world wide network of antennas used to communicate with all deep space probes including SOHO, the Mars Rover, Voyager and Cassini. It is very busy supporting all of these missions. The Deep Space Network schedule varies from day to day and a spacecraft emergency for another spacecraft can affect the schedule. We are lucky to get a few hours a day of contact time. During the time when SOHO is out of contact the data are stored on a tape recorder (actually a solid state or RAM recorder). When the ground station establishes contact with SOHO, the solid state recorder containing the stored data is dumped and real time data starts. The hours of recorded data takes time to process so the 16 hour gap gets filled in over a few hours after contact and the tape recorder is dumped.

lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil.../faq

There was no CME.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So it didn't do this:

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

or none of these

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Ok thanks just wanted an update on those pesky comets.

Me.

edit on 6-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Here's the entire thing.

Don't know what the problem is. Got it from helioviewer.org...

Yup, impact. Sun is doing ok.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
Just reading around, if the sun just "went out", it would take a couple weeks for the Earth's surface temperature to reach 0, and after a year it would be around -100. But if we could harness volcanic heat, we could still survive for a while without the sun. Of course that doesn't take into account the gravitational effects, Im not sure what would happen if the Earth just went hurtling through space without the gravity of the sun.

lol - haven't we heard of 'global warming'? - it will just get warmer and warmer won't it?
- thats what 'scientists' say

maybe the large hadron collider could be used as a planetary thruster and we can go park around another sun

edit on 6-7-2011 by Highlander64 because: added to post

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cross8712

Here's the rest of your story. I do think its strange that the whole sun seem to brighten on the image immediately following the impact.
www.youtube.com...
I see Jude beat me to it. But the infra red isn't showing what the blue spectrum is showing. Definitely an intensifying of the light.
edit on 6-7-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The data stream from SOHO is not continuous. The insinuation that the "feed" was intentionally "cut" is typical Dutchinse nonsense. It happens frequently.
I am not saying that the feed was cut. I don't really know what you're talking about. What I observed was a jump in the time stamp from around 18:24 to 00:23. Those missing images were later filled in. And this happened on both C2 and C3 for the same period of time, 6 hours.
edit on 7/7/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm glad I wasnt the only one, when this thread was created a guy gave the site to nasa

gave me the dates and had to click LASCO 2; I looked at it for an hour and there was 6hours missing.
Now i'm seeing the same site,the same date the same satelite and there is the 6 hours.

Its funny how a certain person came in this thread and suddenly the data was " restored " or how u wanna call it,

+ if u look at the new sequence u can clearly see it at around .22 the comet/asteroid jumps a bit upwards.

Strange.

Regards

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

reply to post by Devino

As Phage's excerpt pointed out, it is perfectly normal (and has always been the case) that due to the occasional loss of contact with the deep space communications network, SOHO will often have sporadic holes in its data that gets filled in later when communication with the network is regained.

So you are always going to have the occasional gaps in data -- and those gaps will always later get filled in.

...and, Devino: that would have happened (both the loss of contact and the subsequent infill of data at a later time) whether it was brought up on ATS or not. It had happened many times before when people on ATS didn't notice or didn't bother to comment.

edit on 7/7/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Spaceweather.com has picked it up now too...

The comet was probably a member of the Kreutz sungrazer family. Named after a 19th century German astronomer who studied them in detail, Kreutz sungrazers are fragments from the breakup of a single giant comet around a thousand years ago, probably the Great Comet of 1106. Several of these fragments pass by the sun and disintegrate every day. Most are too small to see but occasionally a big fragment like this one attracts attention.

Although the comet has disintegrated, we may be seeing more of it in the days ahead as additional movies from other solar observatories come to light. Stay tuned

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

...and, Devino: that would have happened (both the loss of contact and the subsequent infill of data at a later time) whether it was brought up on ATS or not. It had happened many times before when people on ATS didn't notice or didn't bother to comment.
That sounds reasonable. Data was not sent so both camera images were missing for the same time period. It also makes sense that I wouldn't notice until a spectacular event such as a comet hitting the Sun. After all I don't spend much time on SOHO.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
So,,, now that we know the size of the Earth in relation too the Sun,, any math genius want to est the size of that Comet that hit the Sun that Nasa so kindly provided pictures for.
Oh and forgot to mention if that Comet missed the Sun,, i wounder how much warning at that speed?

Curious

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes, I heard an average comet has one-billionth the mass of earth, and earth is about 333,000th the mass of the sun. Haley's Comet is relatively large as far as average comets go, about 15 km with about a 8 km girth.

Haley's mass is 2,200,000,000,000,000 kg
Earth's mass is 64,200,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg
_Sun's mass is 1,988,920,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg

Elenin's mass is expected to be 10,000,000,000,000 kg

These numbers may be a little off I just want it out there for folks with more digits on their calculators than me, I'm just not that into math, but I can clearly see a wide disparity of mass, and a comet has zero effect on the sun. None whatsoever. Like throwing a tennis ball in the middle of Australia, measurable, but essentially zero effect.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join