It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man steals 3 billion = 3 years in jail. Another man steals 100$ = 15 years in jail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
America's ``justice`` system strikes again.

Ex-mortgage CEO sentenced to prison for $3 billion fraud

The CEO of what had been one of the largest privately held mortgage lenders was sentenced Tuesday to more than three years in prison for his role in a $3 billion scheme that officials called one of the biggest corporate frauds in U.S. history.

The 40-month sentence for Paul R. Allen, 55, is slightly less than the six-year term sought by federal prosecutors.

And they wanted a maximum of 6 years... for one of the biggest fraud in HISTORY...

Or this :
Billionaire? Owns sex slaves? Pedophile? That'll be 13 months in a for rich guys jail

Compared to this :
Homeless man gets 15 years for stealing $100

A homeless man robbed a Louisiana bank and took a $100 bill. After feeling remorseful, he surrendered to police the next day. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison.

Truly sick.

America, you need a revolution. This BS cannot continue. Not if you want to call yourself a ``free country`` anyways... if you want to call yourself a kleptocracy, where money is more important than justice and integrity, then it's alright.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
What a joke.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
this is how the prison system works...we fill it with the homeless and and pot smokers...which usually are in there for minor non-violent crimes...and we give anybody with a name and some money a mere slap on the wrist...reform is definitely needed...our country is turning into one big prison day by day...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is why If I found money belonging to a bank or corporation on the street I said I'd keep it. If it was 1 dollar or several millions of dollars I don't care, if it belonged to a crooked corporation or bank they would never give it back. F%#$ That!
edit on 5-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: missing word

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Because the rich man can afford bribes, politicians and top lawyers.

The poor man can't pay any bribe (gave the $100) back, knows only Obama (can't phone him) and gets legal aid for a lawyer. (Paid the same, win or lose)

Yup, that about sums it up.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Another reason for the Dollar a Day bill to be passed.
3 billion$ see you in a couple of thousand years*
100 $ see you in three months

* not accurate

edit on 5-7-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
How much you want to bet the homeless man was black. Black people are considered expendable animals. This is a fact. Check my threads, a (white) homeless man robbed a bank for a dollar and they only charged him with petty larceny. He was hoping to get three years but they MIGHT only give him a year and a half.

THREAD HERE

edit on 7/5/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: add link to thread

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well, you can hardly bride anyone with just 100$, but on the other hand, you can do alot of thing with 3 billions.
Reality check: justice, honesty, and righteousness are things only existed in movies.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is the guy.

Roy Brown, 54. This man will be in prison until he is 69 years old for stealing $100 (that he gave back) that he needed to live. Some will look at his picture and say "well he has a place to live now" with no remorse like he isn't even a human being.

His skin color has everything to do with it.

He is 5'5 143pounds, i know WOMEN more intimidating than that!!

edit on 7/5/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: He is 5'5 143pounds, i know WOMEN more intimidating than that!!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
How much you want to bet the homeless man was black. Black people are considered expendable animals. This is a fact. Check my threads, a (white) homeless man robbed a bank for a dollar and they only charged him with petty larceny. He was hoping to get three years but they MIGHT only give him a year and a half.

Bringing in the race card is not going to make any difference at all. Amerika IS becoming a prison within it's self...doesn't matter...color is nothing anymore. What does matter, is if you have the necessary connections to keep you from being incarcerated.

Again, the only way out is for people to wake up out there...see what is really happening...and DO something about it. It would be great to stick with in the judicial limits...but people...it is very possible that the judicial limits need revamping as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If this ever happened to anyone I knew the prison would go down in flames. The government forgets the people are well armed, and with the current state of affairs, many of us have nothing to lose.
Tread carefully, or we well end you.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

The color of a persons skin does in fact matter. Just because it doesn't affect YOUR life does not mean it doesn't matter to other people.

If someone discriminates on me because of my race and i mention it why is it considered "playing a card"? You are implying that racial discrimination doesn't happen.

Please explain the difference between the two bank robbers (besides skin color).

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
im not american but i dont agree with one post about a doller a day sentencing, that means you would get a lil over 3yrs for a 1000 dollers WTF, thats about 700 brit pound

thats not right either

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The justice system is a complete joke and has always benefited the rich throughout history. I fear little can be done to ever change it as long as anyone has the money to buy their way out.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
You do realize that these crimes have different laws attached to them don't you? Had the mortgage broker stolen the money in the way that the homeless guy did he would have received alot harder sentence.

And look at Maddoff, he got life in prison so to say that those with money can bribe their way out of trouble certainly is a misled statement.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
The justice system is a complete joke and has always benefited the rich throughout history. I fear little can be done to ever change it as long as anyone has the money to buy their way out.

It's not the justice system it's the laws that your representatives pass. Instead of whining about them you should go have them changed if you don't like them.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
one man kills somebody, gets 12 years on a plea deal. Another man steals couple gold items from a church gets 75 years.

Cases will always have disparity. Take into account plea deals, sentencing rules, previous criminal history, etc...

But I do believe white collar crime does pay.

“We are especially concerned about increased disparity in white-collar sentencing,” Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer of the Criminal Division told American Bar Association conference attendees in February. Breuer said, “It is not uncommon for a health care fraud defendant to be sentenced to 15 or more years in one district court, while, in the same week, another defendant in another court involved in a larger fraud is sentenced to a very short prison term.” Breuer noted that an appellate court recently affirmed a 25-year prison sentence for someone involved in a $40 million fraud while, almost simultaneously, another defendant involved in a $1 billion fraud got just five years in prison.

crimeinthesuites.com...

Holder Memo Disparity

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gremlin2011

Yeah ,The theory was based on political thinking ,in other words doesnt make much sense.
How about $2 dollars a day?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Madoff was a wall street fall guy. Thats why he got a harsh sentence. It has nothing to do with the crimes he committed. Wheres the rest of the wall street guys who got away with fraud at the least!

You have to be kidding if you think that a rich white guy couldnt buy his way out of justice. It happens CONSTANTLY! I cant even begin to comprehend anyone who would even consider our justice system fair at all.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
You do realize that these crimes have different laws attached to them don't you? Had the mortgage broker stolen the money in the way that the homeless guy did he would have received alot harder sentence.

Bingo.

The difference is violence. The homeless guy kept his hand in his pocket, implying he had a gun, and even announced, "This is a robbery". That no violence occurred and he didn't have a gun means nothing. He took money by force and that carries a much higher penalty than a non-violent crime.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join