It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police given broad powers to remove facial coverings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

POLICE will be given powers to force people to remove facial coverings if they are suspected of committing a crime, the Premier, Barry O'Farrell, has said. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

A little bit further into the article;

Mr O'Farrell announced late yesterday that cabinet had approved laws allowing police to direct people to remove coverings, including veils and motorcycle helmets, if they had reasonable grounds for suspecting breaches of security may occur, or breaches of the law had occurred. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

I think it's fair enough - but the law seems quite vague, as in "... suspecting breaches of security may occur".

I've got no problems with this law, but wonder what the backlash will be from the small, non-moderate Muslims in Australia?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Like guy fawkes masks?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I don't think it's gonna be aimed at the Muslims. I believe it's gonna be only on Freedom Lovers.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
I don't think it's gonna be aimed at the Muslims. I believe it's gonna be only on Freedom Lovers.
I am a freedom lover, I don't wear a mask.

I am ok with this.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Well if your wearing the guy fawkes mask that is as stated to the second poster

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I agree. those who wear masks just try to diguise themselves so that their criminal acts don't follow them home to their plush suburb parents house.

A true freedom fighter is upfront about it, unshamed.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Bout bloody time...Where I am, I would be pulled up by police for wearing a balaclava (Innocently) and yet I see people with their "letterbox" suits walking freely everywhere...where as I would be suspected of being a potential hoodlum...I think these people should be seen as potential terroists.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
All the more excuse to grow an awesome beard! Well....unless you have Native American blood like me and you can't...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Probably because wearing a balaclava in Australia is highly unusual.

I'd think something is up too if I saw someone getting about in a balaclava here, unless it's at a ski resort of course...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
WOW, finally.
I know that this is in regards all head coverings, but we know who this is directed towards and it is about time we did it too.
Im sick of these Muslims being treated differently from the rest of Australians.
Like i said in other threads, if they the Muslim's dont like the way we live and our laws, well............ $%#@ off back to the dark ages where you all belong.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It seems like a reasonable law to me aswell.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Bout bloody time...Where I am, I would be pulled up by police for wearing a balaclava (Innocently) and yet I see people with their "letterbox" suits walking freely everywhere...where as I would be suspected of being a potential hoodlum...I think these people should be seen as potential terroists.

That's because 99% of the time, people who wear balaclavas are not acting innocently !

If you were wearing a balaclava, police would constantly ( and reasonably ) stop you, due to the fact that the balaclava is practically synonymous with criminality.

The face veil, on the other hand, is a normal custom in some cultures, and can not reasonably and automatically be linked to potential or suspected criminal behaviour from the wearer.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
The face veil, on the other hand, is a normal custom in some cultures, and can not reasonably and automatically be linked to potential or suspected criminal behaviour from the wearer.

But it does interfere with facial recognition software. And they have spent a lot on it.

You will notice in the future they will ban hoodies as well, for the same reason.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
How funny was it that the cops couldn't prove it was Mathews that made the false compliant. With all their resources... e.g checking finger prints on the paper of the complaint, hand writing analysis and possible DNA evidence from the palm/finger prints. Obviously it was all too hard and scary for them at the time, considering the first claim that would be made, as usual, would be DISCRIMINATION. F@ck I detest the overuse of that word... it seriously needs deleting from the friggen dictionary.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
On the subject of this law, it appears to follow the common sense approach.

A person can cover up their face if they wish to, but if a police officer makes a reasonable request for someone to remove the face-covering for identification purposes, then the person is legally obliged to comply to the officer's request.

An authoritarian, restrictive and prejudiced law, banning the wearing of burqas and niqabs, is certainly not the way to go ( although, the French must disagree ).

On the other hand, laws have to be applied equally to everyone, so religious and/or cultural freedom should not excuse anyone from having to abide by these same laws.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Not sure I agree with this. It could be a potentially bad idea

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f7a0562cbf4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

No # Sherlock.
(sorry just had to)

Really well put.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
But it does interfere with facial recognition software. And they have spent a lot on it.

You will notice in the future they will ban hoodies as well, for the same reason.

Maybe. But that would be a few years down the line.

At the moment, there is no need to have your face exposed in public, unless a police officer makes a reasonable request for the person to remove their face covering. That's the law in the UK, anyway, and it looks like that Australia are adopting a similar stance.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I agree that the covering of faces may look a little bit intimidating to some , but many protesters have wised up to the polices tactics and their use of Forward Intelligence Units, which anyone who has been to a protest will know these guys are taking photo's of protesters and keeping them on record. I did ask at a protest why some were covering their faces and they replied they didn't want to have their mugshots on a police database.

Which is fair enough, one should be allowed to attend a peaceful protest without the fear of ending up on a government database of protesters. One never knows how that information may be used in the future.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

In regards to my balaclava comment, Im a 19 year old girl....and I wear them as an accessory to my outfit, colour coded and all you know! And I know many people that do this....Yet I would still be classed as a potential hoodlum, even tho I clearly pose no threat.

Hail France!! Ban the burka.

ETA: My balaclava, reveals more than just my eyes, In fact it only covers your chin and nose...I wear them in winter sometimes just becuase they are practical, It does not conceal my sex or any bombs I may have attached to myself!!
edit on 5-7-2011 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join