It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcyclist killed in helmet law protest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MaskedDebater

Years ago some bikers that lived down the street had bumper stickers on their helmets that said HELMET LAWS SUCK. When the law changed in my state, they now ride with helmets sans decals. True story.

IT has NEVER been about wearing helmets or seatbelts, it is about the GOVERNMENT TELLING YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE!

I QUIT wearing my seatbelt the day they passed the seatbelt laws.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
'Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.' -Gandhi

Did this guy make the wrong decision? Yeah he did and it cost him his life. Should you wear a helmet? Yeah you should. I know someone that only survived a serious head injury because he had a helmet on. I can see the advantages of doing so, and if I'm on a bike you can bet that I'd be smart enough to wear a helmet. With that being said I believe that you have the right to make the wrong decision if it only effects yourself, nobody else should be able to make it for you, not in a free society.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

If it's only oneself that is affected then that's well and good, but someone smashing their head open across a busy street can potentially affect a lot of others as well. There's the possible trauma to other people or kids who witness it, and so on, plus having to then have police, ambulance and a crew having to sweep the blood and scoop the brains off the road may well cause a lot of hold up on a busy and congested route. That could be seen ( albeit a little heartlessly ) as interfering with other people's right to travel unhindered, just because somebody else chooses to be reckless with their own safety.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
Motorcyclist killed in helmet law protest

A bare-headed motorcyclist riding in protest of New York state's helmet law crashed, struck his head on the roadway and died from his injuries, state police said on Sunday. Read more: www.theage.com.au...

Oh the irony ...
edit on 3-7-2011 by ExCommando because: (no reason given)

Since the helmet law protests are about "my right my choice" arguments and personal responsibility, I greatly look forward to reading where his personal account was filled with the funds to pay for the emergency response and cleanup so that his "right" to not wear a helmet did not unduly cost tax payers.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
The man took his own life by protesting to be a free individual and you are going to make a joke? The REAL irony is US citizens say they are FREE when they REALLY aren't.

His freedom "exercise" presents an undo burden on fellow tax payers. When your freedom costs me money, it is no longer free.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
I ride a Harley and want to be able to decide when I should wear a helmet and when I don't. They can interfere with vision and your abilitry to hear, They can also be very hot in the summer, i am an adult and should have the right to make my own decisions, If you don't ride why should you have a say in what i choose to do?

Because we share roads and when your head cracks open all over the pavement it is going to cause other people problems and cost the state money.

The face of "freedom."
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ceaf7bde571.jpg[/atsimg]
Remember kids, Gary says you do not need helmets.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Years ago some bikers that lived down the street had bumper stickers on their helmets that said HELMET LAWS SUCK. When the law changed in my state, they now ride with helmets sans decals. True story.

IT has NEVER been about wearing helmets or seatbelts, it is about the GOVERNMENT TELLING YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE!

Yeah, touching the stove when it is on is a bad idea but if anyone else tries to tell me that I cannot touch the stove I am going to glue my hand to it.

How mature.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
The man took his own life by protesting to be a free individual and you are going to make a joke? The REAL irony is US citizens say they are FREE when they REALLY aren't.

He died a free man, it must have been worth the freedom, he is very free
Now

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by Youmakemewonder

The emergency response is virtually the same whether or not his head broke open.

Having died at the scene may actually save money.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

The emergency response is virtually the same whether or not his head broke open.

Having died at the scene may actually save money.

That is some pretty faulty ass logic since it is cosing us money because he is no longer around to bill.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Well I bet you feel all badass !!!

It is also about trying steer people from taking ignorant and unnecessary risks.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Man, this has to be the most retarded post of the year...
The hot plate analogy is pretty good too...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Was he uninsured?

Had he remains alive and in months o rehabilitation is that somehow less expensive?

If money really is the issue how about we go back and look at the emergency response. The trail of waste and expense started long before he got on his bike.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by Juanxlink

Retarded or not it's the truth. People love spite.

I live in a state without a seatbelt or helmet law surrounded by states with both.

Guess which state has the higher rates I'd seatbelt and helmet use?

Mine.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Was he uninsured?

Had he remains alive and in months o rehabilitation is that somehow less expensive?

If money really is the issue how about we go back and look at the emergency response. The trail of waste and expense started long before he got on his bike.

It does not matter if he was insured or if it would cost more. It would be costing him. Are you suggesting he is also going to be a deadbeat? If he wants to be free to be a deadbeat and not pay his bills then I am not behind him on that either.

I am uninsured. The last time I took an ambulance ride the price was $180 US. I got billed, not anyone else. I only got billed because I was still alive to be billed. Get it?

Sure there is all kinds of waste in emergency response and healthcare and government and pancake houses. Too bad none of that is the topic. The topic is a man who thought being American meant you are free to splatter your head all over public roads. Those are our roads, not his.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Reply to post by Juanxlink

Retarded or not it's the truth. People love spite.

I live in a state without a seatbelt or helmet law surrounded by states with both.

Guess which state has the higher rates I'd seatbelt and helmet use?

Mine.

You accept that it may be retarded and stand by it.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
It was his choice. I believe people should make the decision about how safe they want to be. I NEVER ride without a helmet, but I see people all the time with shorts, flip-flops, T-shirts and no helmet. Their choice. Stupid choice in my opinion, but freedom isn't always pretty.

with helmet and seatbelt laws.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Anyone that rides a motorcycle and chooses NOT to wear a helmet is an IDIOT. For example, just look at the motorcyclist that the thread is about...

Perfect example of an IDIOT!!
edit on 4-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
My brother was wearing a helmet when he got into a motorcycle
accident. Broke his neck. He was dead within hours.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Years ago, Gary Busey... THAT Gary Busey,hit his head on the cement while riding without a helmet.

After they pulled his brains out of his ear,he came out FOR wearing helmets for safety purposes.

AND? He had his own BRAND of helmet gear.

He tee'd off a LOT of Bikers with that move.

I don't think that's just ear wax he's cleaning every morning.

Just Sayin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join