It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcyclist killed in helmet law protest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by Youmakemewonder

Of course I stand by it. It's reality. People are idiots and do amazingly stupid things all the time. Like attempt to legislate morality or safety.

Those choosing the high risk behavior, especially if motivated by spite, are complete fools. As are those who believe that legislating "safety" is a viable endeavor.

Believe it or not but your position of supporting "safety" laws is just as retarded as somebody refusing to wear a seatbelt out of spite.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blood0fheroes
I think most of the proponents of this legislation are missing the point. Whether or not it is a good idea does not justify legislation forcing submission. Same thing with seat belt laws. Do I think that both are good ideas, and a useful tool in preserving my life? Of Course! Any sane individual would! Does that mean that the state has any place, whatsoever, to mandate the measures I take to be safe at risk of a penalty? Never.

If I still rode I would still wear a helmet. HOWEVER - for the government to step in and dictate to me the measures I will take to lower my risk is tantamount to a direct claim on property; in this case You and I are this property.

To say that government is within it's boundaries on these and other issues, then one is also making the case that we are nothing better than free-range chickens...our coop is just a little bigger than most.

I find it funny how it's always the governments fault. If you don't like it then go change it as other states have done. People in Arizona didn't want the helmet law and specifically made it an issue so that the people running for office or in office realized they wouldn't be there unless they listened to the people.

Quit whining about the government and go do something about it.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I just wanted to add a link to the helmet laws across the country.

US Helmet Laws

Only 2 states have no helmet laws, while 20 states have mandatory helmets for anyone riding a motorcycle. The rest have some form of age-limit law.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
I ride a Harley and want to be able to decide when I should wear a helmet and when I don't. They can interfere with vision and your abilitry to hear, They can also be very hot in the summer, i am an adult and should have the right to make my own decisions, If you don't ride why should you have a say in what i choose to do?

Because if you come off your bike and smash your head open its not just you affected! It's the emergency teams, the clean up crew (who have to scrape your broken skull, skin, hair and brains off the road), it's the witnesses (including little children) that get to see this unfold and finally....... your own friends and family who are left to grieve your loss all the while knowing that if you had just not been so pig headed you could have survived.

My partner is a biker and had an horrific crash years ago (T-boned by an idiot in a car) and even though his body was smashed up and required almost complete pinning back together he SURVIVED because he had the sense to wear his protective gear which includes a helmet. (He is ok now, no long term disability or anything just achy joints
)

It really REALLY annoys me when people are so selfish that they decide putting even a helmet on is too much effort!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think we should just award this guy with a Darwin award and move on.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Reply to post by ScorpioRising

Helmet or not any crash has the same effect.

The same crews are called out. The same road is closed. The same expenses incurred.

That "it's not just you" argument doesn't work for helmets or seatbelts.

The moment a crash takes place the same path is followed.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by MaskedDebater

Years ago some bikers that lived down the street had bumper stickers on their helmets that said HELMET LAWS SUCK. When the law changed in my state, they now ride with helmets sans decals. True story.

IT has NEVER been about wearing helmets or seatbelts, it is about the GOVERNMENT TELLING YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE!

Does that make you a smart rebel or just an idiot. Trust me idiots are a dime a dozen and are expendable.

I ride a Harley have campaigned a race car or six and fly -- would not dream of not availing myself of a seatbelt or helmet and even a rollcage I can not think of any reason why one wouldn't I actually have a helmet with tire tracks on it. Sir you are an idiot and some day Darwin will take a swing and hit

I QUIT wearing my seatbelt the day they passed the seatbelt laws.
edit on 4-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've ridden a motorcycle for most of my 50 years and still do, almost daily. In 2007, I was hit head on by an idiot who came around a curve on my side of the road. I was wearing a helmet which kept my head from being ripped open. After a year of numerous operations to rebuild my left leg, I bought another bike and kept riding.

Today, I wear my helmet, but not every time I ride. Over the years, I had a friend die because he was wearing a helmet and the weight of it snapped his neck. I totally agree that the rider should have the right to decide for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet. It is the riders life that hangs in the balance, not anyone else.

I dont need the government to tell me what to do or not to do in all aspects of my life. I dont need the TSA to molest me to get on a plane to protect me, just like I dont need them to tell me when to wear a helmet or a seatbelt. Helmets and seatbelts can save your life or they can take your life, so the individual should have the right to decide..,.period.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I ride motorcycles on road and off. I also ride ATV's regularly.

I sometime wear a helmet and sometimes I don't.

Yeah it's a good idea to wear one to protect your head in case you hit something but the bottom line is
that you should have a personal choice.

For the guy that says if you get hurt you can't get medical treatment for the injuries........

What the hell do you care if I don't wear a helmet and get hurt and go to the hospital?

I PAY for my medical insurance and I PAY for all medical bills I incur ....not you or anybody else.

Any law that makes us safer is ok right?!?!?

Helmet laws
seat belt laws
TSA pat downs
smoking laws

A wise man once said:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

He was right.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I feel the same way about helmet laws as I do about most things. Lack of common sense (in ones personal life) shouldn't be illegal. Sure we may have to pay for idiots medical bills, but unless we all agree to give up everything the government deems unhealthy...well that's the price of being a part of our society.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
Motorcyclist killed in helmet law protest

A bare-headed motorcyclist riding in protest of New York state's helmet law crashed, struck his head on the roadway and died from his injuries, state police said on Sunday. Read more: www.theage.com.au...

Oh the irony ...
edit on 3-7-2011 by ExCommando because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2011 by Gemwolf because: Corrected title

well, honestly, he made his choice.
not wearing a helmet, causes possible direct harm to oneself, as with seat belts (or lap belts as some call them).

I was saved, then nearly killed by a seat belt, all in the same fiery accident.....now that's ironic!
I dont know why i just had a thought of campaigning to legalize Russian Roulette, just so i can mandate players to wear level 3a bullet proof helmets.....
edit on 4-7-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Luckily I live in a state with mandatory helmet laws. I work as a firefighter/emt and unfortunately respond to alot of motor vehicle accidents involving motorcycles. Even with a helmet they are beat up pretty bad, and a few people still refuse to wear helmets and thats when we can't do much for them.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Helmet laws SUCK!

To wear or not is a personal choice not some nanny state mandate made by someone who has never been close to a motorcycle let alone ridden.

If you want to argue about the medical costs don't worry, Obama's new health care law will save us all.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by civilchallenger
reply to post by ExCommando

The best way to protest is with your feet. Typical bureaucrats couldn't care less how many cyclists they kill trying to "protect them" in the same way the Republicans couldn't care less if 100,000 lives are lost in the middle east trying to prevent one or two 9/11 style attacks where 3,000 people die. Its not really about saving lives for them. Its about controlling others and owning them as slaves.

Wow, you think not being able to ride without a helmet on a public road makes you a slave?

Of course not. I know for a fact that being able to ride without a helmet on a public road makes me a slave. You see, my own head is supposed to be my own property. What I put on my own head is therefore up to me if I own it. However, it isn't up to me what I put on my own head in in the state of New York. Rather, it is up to the people who very obviously own me. If I don't decide what to wear while I'm driving, clearly I'm an owned slave. I'm sorry you are blind to the obvious.

Am I saying I'm in awful conditions? No. I'm not in awful conditions. My slave masters have been generous and by fighting fire with fire, I keep most of my own money and give less than half of it to my slave-owners. However you are quite ignorant of how it works in the US. Most people who earn a significant sum of money give more than half of it to their slave masters.

The only fairly well protected freedom in the USA are my ability to tell others the exact extent of my slavery under the US regime. However, that it turns out is highly limited. No dancing at the Jefferson memorial or you'll be arrested. No disrespecting a judge or you can be imprisoned FOR LIFE. And people have been imprisoned for at least six months without any trial for allegedly doing so. I say "alleged" because nobody really knows.

Whats the terrible future you think my slave-masters have envisioned for me? Will the corporations take 75% of what I get instead of 40%? Will they be more restrictive of my speech or expression? Will they send the US into 3rd world status? LOL, okay, well again, like I said, I would vote with my feet. I've done it once and I can do it again. Its not easy but its something people should do.

Do you actually take solace in a place where you can be arrested for "disorderly conduct". Uh oh, little Jonny is skipping along the sidewalk... looks disorderly... he needs to be arrested. There is also "contempt of court" where you can be imprisoned for life without a trial. Then there is also "criminal mischief" and a few other charges designed to arrest people to punish people for either disagreeing with the police officer, rubbing him the wrong way, or being the wrong color.

What you don't seem to understand is that after moving, my life improved for the better. I was able to find a job because in fact the economy is better where I am now. A side-effect of tyranny is that it destroys people's financial lives. However, if you move to a less tyrannical place, you'll have more options to improve your finances. Of course the move itself and re-transition is quite expensive. But, after you've gotten past that, things can improve to where they are much better than before.
edit on 4-7-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

then your a fool, i've seen thses accidents. I don't care about the medical costs. How would you feel if a family lost someone becuase they refused to wear a helmet when if they had, it would've saved their life. It's just like seat belt laws, its safer for you. I'm tired of responding to an incident and seeing people die because of such a stupid reason

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Whining isn't how I see it. My current profession precludes me from taking part in politically motivated activities, and so I am left with speaking (or in this case typing)with others in the hopes that my words may provoke independent thought. In order to change our world, first we must change how we think.

If even one person is provoked into contemplating what the nature of freedom is, and where it comes from; then I have used my time wisely.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
And some people say Darwinism is not real......
.......unless he has already procreated

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ABWarrior58

As a first responder you may see how seat belts and helmets can save lives. As a free citizen I see laws that make the use of such safety devices mandatory as an infringement on my freedom.

Why not make it mandatory that morbidly obese people only eat with tiny forks? That would save live too...

I know! How about we put a safety muzzle on all the fat people so they could eat through a straw?

Where does overwhelming desire to "protect" people stop and infringement on their rights start?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

What does one say? how horrible.

I used to ride a motorcycle back in the day and then witnessed two fatal motorcycle accidents. I haven't ridden one since and they, quite frankly, freak me out.

So sad for his family.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation

As a first responder you may see how seat belts and helmets can save lives. As a free citizen I see laws that make the use of such safety devices mandatory as an infringement on my freedom.

Why not make it mandatory that morbidly obese people only eat with tiny forks? That would save live too...

I know! How about we put a safety muzzle on all the fat people so they could eat through a straw?

Where does overwhelming desire to "protect" people stop and infringement on their rights start?

you're talking about the extremes. If you want to argue that way, why is it illegal to drive drunk? why is it illegal to go 125mph down the expressway? Need I go further?
edit on 4-7-2011 by ABWarrior58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join