It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Fault and interesting research in the similar events of 1811 to 2011 preceeding the major

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is from someone from the USGS. Does explain that 2 letters were wrote about the account as it was originally considered a hoax. This person contends that what was viewed was very plausible it could of been earthquake lights considering the terrain of Hot Springs, North Carolina. Now, Hot Springs, NC and New Madrid fault are pretty far apart away from each other, and to have an event at the same time would be unusual. But after looking at the map and seeing the "flow" of the Teays river, I could see somewhat of a possible connection, no matter how remote, but its there. That was 200 yrs ago, who knows what it was like then. Like I said, I am not presenting or defending a theory, just having a research idea. I, we, wont know if its a theory unless something happens later in the year, or more similarities come about.

I would assume that in 1811, with an apparent climate starting to change from everything we have read above. The sun acting up, the flooding, the natural disasters, a bad economy, a very bright comet in the sky, sand shooting out of the ground, the growing season shortened by cooler weather and floods, the sun not acting normal, revelutions and the war of 1812 about to begin, the slave uprising in Lousiana, etc. As in 2011, I bet most people felt something was wrong and maybe it was coming close to the end to them as well.

Anyway, I promised the links from when I couldnt earlier, so there they are and here is the North Carolina one, there are more that you can google yourself. But that far back, its hard to determine fact from fiction. At least its out there and all of the above for you to think about. Dont know what to think about it myself.

Link

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Just had a 7.3 quake around the same place as the March 11th one.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I just now saw the reports! My thoughts are with you all.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Not making a prediction nor am I suggesting it is meaning anything. But a recent post of sink hole problems in the St Louis area and using the antipodal mapping method of recent earthquake activity, the antipodal points are moving into the general areal coverage of the antipodal point of the New Madrid Fault. Now, that covers thousands of miles of ocean, and I am not pretending to draw fear mongering or a secret code to watch out. I am just pointing things out and these things are all stuff you can go do yourself. I explain what, why I am thinking that way, supply the links, and explain how and where to find it yourself.

If things progress, I will have more. Watching to see if anymore similarities happen or more quakes in the Arkansas or fault area occur. Even watching if a rattler happens in WV or NW North Carolina. Had the quake in Howard County, Indiana last year, which the Teays River runs right thru that area. Just watching, thats all.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'm guessing New York will be hit and California will start flooding.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sdebunker

Yes, you've got a great thread here. And you have also been wondering about the New Madrid. I hope I don't mention things already said here, I read real fast so I may have missed something.

There are many factors which make a major earthquake very likely.
Before the large earthquakes in Dec. 1811, there were many smaller ones during the fall.
Guy/Greenbrier, Arkansas just had a year long earthquake swarm with over a thousand quakes.
The first of the larger quakes of the 1811/12 disaster came in Arkansas.

You visited my thread, there's also a biblography. I'll link later, gotta run soon. We talked about the flooding and the nature of the crust in the Mississippi River Valley. Let me just say it isn't the most solid rock in the world...
Water is the key. There's much research into trying to find out exactly how water works to cause earthquakes.
A dam in China may have caused a large earthquake. There's lots of studies on flooding and quakes. In China, a researcher found that after several years of drought and no earthquakes, when the rains finally came, after a short period for the water to perculate through the aquifers and faults, there would be an earthquake.

I won't say anything about the comet aspect. Because I dont' know.

There have been other strange signs something is odd in Arkansas.

Animal deaths, a house exploded, and swarms of earthquakes. Much of this is directly related to the natural gas drilling. But, the drilling is also putting stress on the thin, brittle crust of the region. On my thread you'll find a report on mid-continental earthquakes and how the load up stresses on nearby fault systems.

At the moment, the New Madrid Region has been fairly quiet on the earthquake front. This after a very energetic period.

Hypothesis: The wieght of the flood waters have compacted the crust. Everything is now locked into place. Water is of course still flowing through the limestone and soft crust, creating faults and eroding other faults. The compression is too great for the lubricating affect of the water to cause earthquakes.

But, when the flood water recede, and the mass decreases, the crust will start to expand and stretch it's arms. This will allow faults to start moving and trying to reset themselves and readjust the stresses. It's a rebound effect. Kinda like what they theorize is happening near Hudson Bay after it had been subsided due to the mass of the great glacier.

Remember the flooding also caused waves. Pressure waves due to the change in flowrates and volumes would have changed the stressloads on different fault areas at different times. All of these flucutations in stressloads will change the dynamics of each fault system. They will struggle up against one another trying to find a balance. Kinda like when there is a crowd of people pressed against each other. Each wiggles and pushes against all those around trying to find enough room to breath and not be crushed.

Sorry. Wish I had more time to write. And I wish my brain wasn't in the repair shop almost every day.

And remember, the flooding has changed the river. It will have eroded some places, and left silt deposits in other places. This also will change stressloads. Lessening the stress in some areas, increasing the mass of earth in other areas.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10-7-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the input. When you get a chance to read thru all of it, we are trying to establish not just a connection between flooding and earthquakes in this thread. I think, for the most part, that has to a certain extent. But, are we seeing a repeat of history on a 200 yr cycle? For example, its not that the comet is affecting the Earth, but that there was a comet visible in mid October in 1811, like there is supposed to be this year. It was all the similar events in 1811 and 2011 preceeding the quake that is questioning is history repeating itself?

When you get a chance to read the entire thread you will see where we are going. Thanks for the input and look foward for many more. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain of this relationship.

Earthquakes
Burning coal under the ground. Booming sounds. Rumbling sounds for a long duration.
Mega-Tornadoes (rare ones in Chiba, Japan and New Zealand after Earthquakes)
Flooding.
Sink holes in the ground and the sea.
Moving tectonic plates due to gravitational pull of planetary bodies and floating on liquified material (lava).
History. Earthquake events may happen in the same way they happened in the past.

Anybody have any comments about this?
www.japanquakemap.com...
edit on 10-7-2011 by ren1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The following is an amazing piece of film. It is footage taken just days before the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906.

www.cbsnews.com...

What you may notice is the puddles in the street. It had rained just previous to the filming. In fact, there was heavy rains in the period just before the earthquake.
Did the rains contribute to the earthquake?

One thing is for sure, the earthquake cause liquefaction. The liquefaction led to much of the damage.

But that's not all. From Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Widely interpreted previously as precursory activity to the 1906 earthquake, they have been found to have a strong seasonal pattern and have been postulated to be due to large seasonal sediment loads in coastal bays that overlie faults as a result of the erosion caused by "hydraulic mining" in the later years of the California Gold Rush.[18]"

www.springerlink.com...

So, does sediment loading apply stress to faults. It would seem so. The flooding in the Mississippi is changing the stress loads. Like I said, erosion will lessen the loads in some areas, and sediment deposits will increase loads in other areas.

Interesting note, there's been a return to more normal levels of activity around the New Madrid. Two new ones give me pause. One near Quitman, Ark., and the other near Marianna. Marianna is where they found a new faultline.

edit on 11-7-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
The following is an amazing piece of film. It is footage taken just days before the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906.

www.cbsnews.com...

What you may notice is the puddles in the street. It had rained just previous to the filming. In fact, there was heavy rains in the period just before the earthquake.
Did the rains contribute to the earthquake?

One thing is for sure, the earthquake cause liquefaction. The liquefaction led to much of the damage.

But that's not all. From Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Widely interpreted previously as precursory activity to the 1906 earthquake, they have been found to have a strong seasonal pattern and have been postulated to be due to large seasonal sediment loads in coastal bays that overlie faults as a result of the erosion caused by "hydraulic mining" in the later years of the California Gold Rush.[18]"

www.springerlink.com...

So, does sediment loading apply stress to faults. It would seem so. The flooding in the Mississippi is changing the stress loads. Like I said, erosion will lessen the loads in some areas, and sediment deposits will increase loads in other areas.

Interesting note, there's been a return to more normal levels of activity around the New Madrid. Two new ones give me pause. One near Quitman, Ark., and the other near Marianna. Marianna is where they found a new faultline.

edit on 11-7-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

And I am still curious if the Teay River is connected deep underground to the fault and is active. So it is being affected both above and below ground.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I just remembered something.
Osaka Japan flooded very high last year. Record flooding.
This year the record flooding was in Kyushu.

search.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I like your research. Another thing to look at is that Mt Etna erupted on Oct 27th 1811 and the ongoing eruptions lasted for 6 months.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ozarkdeathstar

Thank you!
And there goes another October date again

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Just digging into some more research of the thread. I read a thread about the Costa Rica area wondering if a quake was waking up in conjunction with the current earthquakes that has been occuring in the area. To try and keep consistent with the content of the thread, I did some more research.

EARTHQUAKES AT CARACAS. CONNECTION OF THOSE PHENOMENA WITH THE VOLCANIC ERUPTIONS OF THE WEST INDIA ISLANDS.

"I have recorded in this work all I have been able to collect, and on the accuracy of which I can rely, respecting the earthquake of the 26th of March, 1812. By that catastrophe the town of Caracas was destroyed, and more than twenty thousand persons perished throughout the extent of the province of Venezuela."

However, in the year 1811, fatal experience destroyed the illusion of theory and of popular opinion. Caracas, situated in the mountains, three degrees west of Cumana, and five degrees west of the volcanoes of the Caribbee islands, has suffered greater shocks than were ever experienced on the coast of Paria or New Andalusia.

"At my arrival in Terra Firma, I was struck with the connection between the destruction of Cumana on the 14th of December, 1797, and the eruption of the volcanoes in the smaller West India Islands. This connection was ag 24524u208y ain manifest in the destruction of Caracas on the 26th of March, 1812. The volcano of Guadaloupe seemed in 1797 to have exercised a reaction on the coasts of Cumana. Fifteen years later, it was a volcano situated nearer the continent (that of St. Vincent), which appeared to have extended its influence as far as Caracas and the banks of Apure. Possibly, at both those periods, the centre of the explosion was, at an immense depth, equally distant from the regions towards which the motion was propagated at the surface of the globe."

"From the beginning of 1811 to 1813, a vast superficies of the earth,* (* Between latitudes 5 and 36 degrees north, and 31 and 91 degrees west longitude from Paris.) bound by the meridian of the Azores, the valley of the Ohio, the Cordilleras of New Grenada, the coasts of Venezuela, and the volcanoes of the smaller West India
Islands, was shaken throughout its whole extent, by commotions which may be attributed to subterranean fires. The following series of phenomena seems to indicate communications at enormous distances. On the 30th of January, 1811, a submarine volcano broke out near the island of St. Michael, one of the Azores. At a place here the sea was sixty fathoms deep, a rock made its appearance above the surface of the waters. The heaving-up of the softened crust of the globe appears to have preceded the eruption of flame at the crater, as had already been observed at the volcanoes of Jorullo in Mexico, and on the appearance of the little island of Kameni, near Santorino. The new islet of the Azores was at first a mere shoal; but on the 15th of June, an eruption, which lasted six days, enlarged its extent, and carried it progressively to the height of fifty toises above the surface of the sea. This new land, of which captain Tillard took possession in the name of the British government, giving it the name of Sabrina Island, was nine hundred toises in diameter. It has again, it seems, been swallowed up by
the ocean. This is the third time that submarine volcanoes have presented this extraordinary spectacle near the island of St.Michael; and, as if the eruptions of these volcanoes were subject to periodical recurrence, owing to a certain accumulation of elastic fluids, the island raised up has appeared at intervals of ninety-one or ninety-two years.* (* Malte-Brun, Geographie Universelle. There is, however, some doubt respecting the eruption
of 1628, to which some accounts assign the date of 1638. The rising always happened near the island of St. Michael, though not identically on the same spot. It is remarkable that the small island of 1720 reached the same elevation as the island of Sabrina in 1811.)"

"At the time of the appearance of the new island of Sabrina, the smaller West India Islands, situated eight hundred leagues south-west of the Azores, experienced frequent earthquakes. More than two hundred shocks were felt from the month of May 1811, to April 1812, at St. Vincent; one of the three islands in which there are still active volcanoes. The commotion was not circumscribed to the insular portion of eastern America; and from the 16th of December, 1811, till the year 1813, the earth was almost incessantly agitated in the valleys of the Mississippi, the Arkansas river, and the Ohio. The oscillations were more feeble on the east of the Alleghanies, than to the west of these mountains, in Tennessee and Kentucky. They were accompanied by a great
subterranean noise, proceeding from the south-west. In some places between New Madrid and Little Prairie, as at the Saline, north of Cincinnati, in latitude 37 degrees 45 minutes, shocks were felt every day, nay almost every hour, during several months. The whole of these phenomena continued from the 16th of December 1811, till the year 1813. The commotion, confined at first to the south, in the valley of the lower Mississippi, appeared to advance slowly northward. Precisely at the period when this long series of earthquakes commenced in the Transalleghanian States (in the month of December 1811), the town of Caracas felt the first shock in calm and serene weather. This coincidence of phenomena was probably not accidental; for it must be borne in mind that, notwithstanding the distance which separates these countries, the low grounds of Louisiana and the coasts of Venezuela and Cumana belong to the same basin, that of the Gulf of Mexico."

You can read the rest at:
Source

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This brings some more head scratching, for me anyway, the author of the above brings up St. Vincent, and all the recent activity in the Virgin Islands. Mentioned the eruption that formed Sabrina Island that occured in June and July 1811. Also, St. Michael, in the Azores. Once again 1811. And posts on here about people hearing like a constant rumbling noise. One person has a thread where they recorded the noise. Interesting times.

Well you can read the rest of his theory how things, he thought, connected as 1811 was mentioned alot.
edit on 15-7-2011 by sdebunker because: added content

edit on 15-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by sdebunker because: late night spelling

edit on 15-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here is some eyewitness accounts of the New Madrid quakes before, during, and after. Some describing the weather at the time, and other things going on. With the seemingly increasing reports of sinkholes, it is noted in many of these accounts, sinkholes seemed to be mentioned in many of them preceeding and during the quakes. Just they didnt all know what to call them, so here is the link below just for reference if you maybe happen to see something one day and remember reading it.

Memphis.edu

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Research also shows the largest quakes on the New Madrid fault occur in the winter.
During the winter the rivers are not flooded and the water levels are much lower than in the spring.
Flooding typically occurs in the spring... The 1811 - 1812 quake occured in the winter and the river levels are also lower in the fall months ie: October.
There was a mag 5 in April 2008 but the rivers were not flooded at that time.
Great research but no one can predict a major earthquake, other than God or maybe the guys injecting massive amounts of frack water into the ground or the group with their fingers on the harp trigger.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimsie

Research also shows the largest quakes on the New Madrid fault occur in the winter.
During the winter the rivers are not flooded and the water levels are much lower than in the spring.
Flooding typically occurs in the spring... The 1811 - 1812 quake occured in the winter and the river levels are also lower in the fall months ie: October.
There was a mag 5 in April 2008 but the rivers were not flooded at that time.
Great research but no one can predict a major earthquake, other than God or maybe the guys injecting massive amounts of frack water into the ground or the group with their fingers on the harp trigger.

Thank you.

Once again, the thread is not about predicting an earthquake or the result of flooding that may cause or not cause an earthquake. Nor a prediction of any type of earthquake along the New Madrid fault in October. The thread is research on situations in history that have similarities preceeding the New Madrid quake of 1811 with events of 2011. It is more of a is history repeating itself research project than a prediction or theory. There is nowhere within these posts will you find any type of prediction of an earthquake made by me. It is apparent there are "connections", not only to this topic, but to many others to explore. I find your last statement a bit confusing. Noone can predict earthquakes but God, but yet man still can if they are fracking or involved with HAARP? So your saying that it is actually possible for man to predict earthquakes then? And my feeling is that God would just actually "know" when one would happen, He would have no motivation to predict.

All I am doing is trying to put together a pattern of historical precedent that I have noticed and spent many of hours researching possible connections and scenarios to it. If it has come across that my attempts is doing no more than trying to establish a backing to an earthquake prediction, then I have failed in my communication. As the above author believed in the connections of Caracus article, just look at the current volcanic activity of now and then as well as the earthquake activity. Out of all the different information on this thread, I somehow have conveyed to some that the only connection is flooding, a comet, and the New Madrid was going to have an earthquake in October. I saw a pattern, recognized it, investigated it, shared it with others, asked for input, and share the findings. As Mark Twain noted, "History does not repeat itself, but it often rhymes." So it may not repeat exactly the same way, but the end result may be the similarities that the end result rhymed with.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I think I dug as deep as I can go on this research project.I will keep looking or if someone else finds something, lets post it. Or another similar event may happen, I am trying ro find if there was a summer heat wave in 1811.
I have a couple other project I am working on, another involving the HAARP project that may be something different than you have heard before. Just need to get my links and research together before I make another thread.

This is a wait and see clock now, but dont consider it dead. If anything comes up with the topic, please share, as I will the same. As well as the antipodal mapping. Feel free to comment at anytime. Thanks again
edit on 19-7-2011 by sdebunker because: typo

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ok, I have found something else.

In an article titled

ORTEGREN, JASON T., Ph.D. Tree-Ring Based Reconstruction of Multi-Year Summer
Droughts in Piedmont and Coastal Plain Climate Divisions of the Southeastern U.S.,
1690-2006. (2008)

You will find below part of the study. There was a start of an extended period of drought in the southeastern U.S that began in, yep 1811, and was the longest and most severe drought at the time for the past 300 years. Once again, there has always been droughts, but, once again something similar to the common them of the thread and what is happening now. The snip it is below and the link to the entire study below that. I am still searching for if there was some kind of summer heatwave or severe drought in the deep south. But this, at least, confirms at least another similarity connection possibility. So, it still gives me more tracks to follow. Was the major flooding in the spring, followed by a widespread heatwave in the summer? This study suggests a drought and some sort of heatwave was occuring at the time.

[2.0] Sustained Droughts, 1690-2006
During the period of study, the Piedmont of North Carolina, South Carolina, and
Georgia experienced eleven episodes of sustained (> 4 yr) summer drought. The longest
and most severe drought in the region during the last 300 years occurred during the
period 1811-1820 (Fig. 10). The beginning of the study period, 1690-1712, was a time of
persistent drought with at least three wet summers embedded. The early period may have
consisted of two or more distinct multi-year summer droughts, although the five-year
moving average indicates below-average summer soil moisture conditions in 20 of the 23
years (Fig. 10).

Link

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join