It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Fault and interesting research in the similar events of 1811 to 2011 preceeding the major

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+93 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hi and dont let the name fool you. I am open to all ideas. I have always been a believer in throw out the high and the low, or the far right and far left, and somewhere in between your gonna have the average, or something that resembles the truth. I am also a believer, in that, history is some form, does repeat itself. So it is important to study it and research it. May not happen the exact same way, but I am sure that physics and the butterfly effect has many topics on this site and no reason to talk about that on an introduction board, thats why I had to wait til my 20 posts.

I have watched this board, off and on, for many of year. Decided to become a member for the above reasons. Now, as a disclaimer, I am not saying that I am predicting or forecasting an earthquake of the New Madrid fault on what I am to post below. What I am doing is showing a past comparison of a precedent set of similarities of the 1811-1812 to the 200th year anniversary of the great quake to this year going into 2011-2012. It goes as follows.

Mississippi Tributaries

With this image, Just thinking out loud here. Thinking of all the flooding lately, and the recent problem in Minot and the Missouri River that will lead into the Mississippi. Plus recent rains that have swollen rivers that flow into the Mississippi River. So I looked at the area where those rivers meet, and was kinda in the general area of the New Madrid Fault. Now just as a thinker, all that rainfall and extra water. Would or could all that extra water cause compaction or compression on the soil adding extra pressure to the fault line? Like I said, just thinking out loud. Sort of like a sponge, becomes heavier once you add a bunch of water to it.

So I did some researching and found this:

Heavy rain can trigger earthquakes
13:44 25 February 2008 by Catherine Brahic

"Huge downpours of rain can trigger earthquakes in landscapes riddled with caves and channels by increasing pressure within underlying rock, suggests a new study.

It was already known that rainfall could cause tremors, but the amount of water needed is much more than previously thought, says Steve Miller, a geologist at the University of Bonn, Germany.
In recent years, geologists have documented small earthquakes that occurred after heavy rainfall in Germany, Switzerland and France. All were low in magnitude - meaning they could be detected by seismographs, but not felt by humans.Some experts have suggested that although the rainfall was heavy, the fact that rain could trigger an earthquake at all suggests that it takes extremely little to produce a tremor. They concluded that the Earth's crust in a delicate balance, teetering on the edge of a slight shake-up at any moment.

Landscape key

Now, in the new study, Miller disagrees, pointing out that all the three documented events happened in a specific type of landscape known as karst. Other geologists studying rain-triggered earthquakes did note that they occurred in karst geology, but they did not delve into the possible implications.Karst landscape features a distinctive topography of soft carbonate rock riddled with deep fissures, underground channels and cave systems.
These characteristic features are carved out when carbonate bedrock - typically limestone or dolomite - is dissolved slowly by the action of slightly acidic rainwater over thousands of years. And these structures, says Miller, are key.

Journal reference: Geophysical Journal International (DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2008.03735.x)

Link to above article

Now, I went digging some more for some more similar comparisons to this year and to 1811. According to past historical records, there were in 1811, record amounts of rainfall and flooding in the same areas as this year and in about the same time, the month of June. Read below:

The Great Floods of St Louis

"THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND ITS TRIBUTARIES.
part of the natural order of events that these great
rivers should discharge successively. But when, under
circumstances over which there exists no control, the
ordinary order of successive discharge is changed for
a simultaneous pouring out of all the tributaries, then
comes the "year of great waters," like 1785, 1811,
1823, 1826, 1844, 1858, and 1881. "

"There were high waters so as to overflow the low
grounds and fill the lakes and sloughs on the Ameri-
can Bottom at other seasons subsequent to 1785, but
none that deserve attention until that of 1811. It
was in the summer preceding the " shakes," as the
earthquakes were called. "

"The flood of 1811 was much greater than any that
followed until 1823,"

You can read the rest at :

Linked research story

and:

Apparently there was a major flood in 1811 and occured in June of that year. As well as 1813 and again 1815 afterwards.

Link to NYtimes

So we have a couple precedents for that. Now not only did we have just 3-4 weeks ago, an article came out how scientist were baffled of how quiet the sun was when it should be in a very active period, also, the harsh winter Europe had just came off of. I had done some more digging and came up with this historical reference. Note the author mentions the sun in a 13-year cycle and not the 11-yr cycle we are taught today:

]"The most recent major cooling in Europe early in the 19th century, during the three weakest, prolonged (12 or 13 long) cycles of solar activity (1798-1883). This cooling occured during the weakest, 13-year cycle of sunspots, from 1811 till 1823, during the absolute centennial minimum since 1700.
With regard to the Solar System, 1811 was a unique year, as at that time the Sun's distance from the centre of the Systems mass was the smallest (0.14 of the Sun's radius), and the Sun's acceleration was the highest (Boryczka, 1998)"

Link to .pdf original file

Just to throw this in, 1811 was the 11th session of congress and 2011 was the start of the 111th session of congress.

Also, 1811, tensions was heating up politcally and militarily with leading to the war of 1812. Just as tensions rising in 2011. Now if you want the kicker. In 1811, there is what was know as the Great Comet of 1811. It was discovered in March and was seen with the naked eye for 260 days. And it was at its brightest, yep you guessed it, mid-October.

The Great Comet of 1811, formally designated C/1811 F1, is a comet that was visible to the naked eye for around 260 days, a record it held until the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. In October 1811, at its brightest, it displayed an apparent magnitude of 0, with an easily visible coma.

The comet was discovered March 25, 1811 by Honoré Flaugergues at 2.7 AU from the sun in the now-defunct constellation of Argo Navis. After being obscured for several days by moonlight, it was also found by Jean-Louis Pons on April 11, while Franz Xaver, Baron Von Zach was able to confirm Flaugergues' discovery the same night.[1]

The first provisional orbit was computed in June by Johann Karl Burckhardt. Based on these calculations, Heinrich Wilhelm Matthäus Olbers made a prediction that the comet would go on to become extremely bright later that year.

Link to comet info

So as of now so far:
Comparisons (weirdly) of whats going on now to 1811 of the great New Madrid earthquake.

1) Some type of great flooding or long period of heavy rainfall leading to large river rises occured. Like in 2011, it also occured in 1811 in the month of June, in the same places.
2) 1811 was the 11th session of Congress and 2011 started as the 111th session of Congress
3) An article was published a couple weeks ago where scientist were baffled as to why the sun was going quiet, when it should of beginning its maximum period. In 1811, it was quoted in the link above, 1811 was a unique year for the sun for its quiet period. Note: They tell us today its a 11 year cycle, the paper quoted a 13 year cycle)
4) Europe has just come off possibly the coldest winter in its history, same article above quoted the cooling of Europe in 1811, due to the suns activity. We are still in facts.
5) In 1811, the new moon occured on Dec 15th, the morning of Dec 16th, the earthquake struck. In 2011, we have a new moon on Oct 11th. I will explain why October shortly (speculation part, but also fact, not conspiracy, just head scratching).
6) Most geologist and scientist believe that most earthquakes occur during new and full moons. With new moons the most likely. But when you have new and full moons on days that also equal their apogee or perigee, then you have a "supermoon", this is what some of them, Jim Berkland for example, believe is the window for the most dangerous.
7) Stay with me here, no conspiracy, just facts and honest comparisons, with a little head scratching. Now, in Oct. we have a full moon on the 11th, with the moon apogee on Oct 12th. We have a new moon on Oct 26th, but we also have the moon perigee on, yep, Oct 26th. Now, the JPL say that comet Elenin will make its closest approach on Oct 16th. Right in the middle of the full and new moon and the apogee and perigee, leading up to the 26th that is the new moon, perigee, and passing comet all on the same day. Not saying it means anything but kinda makes you wonder. If that doesnt, I will entice you a bit more.
8) There was what is known as The Great Comet of 1811. Its was seen with the naked eye for 260 days. It was first noticed on March 25th, 1811, and made its closest approach (estimated) but became its most brightest in mid-October.
9) The date of the strongest and first New Madrid quake was on a 16th and the closest approach of this already famous comet noone has even seen yet is on a 16th. October 16th

So am I saying the New Madrid is going to have another major quake on Oct 26th? Sometime between Oct 11th and the 26th? NO, not predicting anything, forecasting anything, just some research, a bit of history, and some strange comparisons, plus something to think about. Because, if anything, it is a bit of odd repeat of history on the 200th anniversary. Once again, I am not predicting or forecasting an earthquake at the NM fault line, nor am I suggesting comet Elenin will even cause it, or have any affect on Earth. I am an self employed researcher and just simply pointing out the things that compare as a historical precedent leading up to the time of the fault release. The comparisons of 1811 to 2011. There has been floods before and since, comets before and since, military tensions before and since. But I am just pointing out all at the same time, same geographical places within same time frames, with an introduction of a noticed comet in the same month of closest approach. Thats all. Could be something, history repeating itself? Could be nothing? But at least, lets say, worth an observation mode. As noted in the links, most of the documents noted that something was unique about 1811, preceeding the major quake. Thanks for reading.

edit on 2-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2011 by sdebunker because: I had a couple typos

edit on 2-7-2011 by sdebunker because: use of ex text

edit on 3-7-2011 by sdebunker because: Just double checking off site quotes

edit on 3-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Jul 4 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: shrten quote and fixed link

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The Mississippi River flooded earlier this year but the Missouri River is the one that's flooding now, not the Mississippi.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
hey this is going to be deleted if you don't use the ex-tex button its right above the text box.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by waybehind
The Mississippi River flooded earlier this year but the Missouri River is the one that's flooding now, not the Mississippi.

The Missouri river dumps into the Mississippi at St Louis

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sdebunker

Fascinating.....sounds like you did a lot of research.. star and flag for you sir. I have checked myself and you may have something. There are a few things that don`t add up, but overall makes for a very good reading. I live in the midwest and i keep up on this stuff. very interesting read thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
hey this is going to be deleted if you don't use the ex-tex button its right above the text box.

Thanks, I am still learning

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by awcgs

Fascinating.....sounds like you did a lot of research.. star and flag for you sir. I have checked myself and you may have something. There are a few things that don`t add up, but overall makes for a very good reading. I live in the midwest and i keep up on this stuff. very interesting read thanks.

Thank you. Like I said, I am open minded and anything you catch, just may be something I missed. Its just something I dug into one day. Could be total nonsense, but could be something, part of something, or part of nothing. At least it gets the brain thinking

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Great job you did your homework on this one! S&F There are quite a few similarities there and we are really overdue. I live in MS so I'm not looking forward to it if it does decide to go. I've heard people talk about it going off my whole life, so I've become acustom to it. But of late I've been getting myself a little prepared for whatever might happen.

Thanks for posting...good job!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

So why no big quake in 1823?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Because all the events that happened in 1811 didn't happen in 1823?

It's listed there for all too see.
edit on 3-7-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

There was flooding in 1823, his sources said it was bigger than 1811.

There was a comet in 1823 too....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

So why no big quake in 1823?

Dont know. Maybe 1811-1812 relieved the pressure, what was the sun doing in 1823?, was it back into a different cycle? , was there a comet?, was there major flooding in basically all the main rivers that fed into the MS river the entire spring? I havent even researched much about if I can find what the snowpack was in 1811 like it is in 2011, could that be an answer? It is currently 2172% of normal in Colorado, was it like that in 1811 also?

I dont have those answers. But the good thing about doing research and being open minded is, it gives you the chance to educate yourself, you always have a new question to ask, and the more questions you search, and more opinions you are willing to hear from others, the more solid you can factually make your theory. But, I dont have all the answers, but I can say, I wont stop looking

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by LDragonFire

There was flooding in 1823, his sources said it was bigger than 1811.

There was a comet in 1823 too....

I am just not focusing on a comet, its a series of events that are similar. I am just a believer that history always in some way will repeat itself. Thats all I am doing. I have other stuff too, I dont mind being questioned, really I dont. I welcome it, it could be something I missed or never thought of, so it doesnt bother me. But, since 1811 was the big one, that is was where I started As far as anyone knows, the quake changed the flood plains of the Mississippi and caused the 1823 flooding or made it worse. Like I said I dont have all the answers. And your right there was a comet in 1823.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well it's an interesting theory i'll give you that. Right or wrong you get a star for your efforts, keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
After some more research, and I am off to bed, I will leave you with this. 1816 being known as the year without a summer. Mount Tambora was dormant for centuries. The similarity items listed above. We have the NM quakes of 1811-1812. Then:

In 1812, Mount Tambora became highly active, with its eruptive peak in the catastrophic explosive event of April 1815.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just 2 months after the last big New Madrid quake it becomes active, then the massive eruption in 1815 that leads to so much ash, its blankets the Earth, but yet there is more in conjunction to the eruption and timing of the Dalton Minimum of the sun. Its a long read and will supply the link of course but read the snip it below and notice the specific mentions of 1811 and the goings on.

The Wobbling Sun

Were other factors at work, adding to the reduced solar flux and to the terrible ill effects from Tambora? The Sun's position in space moves about the solar system's center of mass (barycenter) in cycles that repeat themselves every 178 to 180 years. This wobbling motion is caused by the gravitational tug of the planets (mainly Jupiter and Saturn) and is similar to the stellar motions that Geoff Marcy, Paul Butler, Michel Mayor, Didier Queloz, Bob Noyes, Pete Nisenson, and other astronomers observe to detect extrasolar planets.Important years pertinent to this article for “inertial solar motion” — the barycenter shift — are 1632, 1811, and 1990.

What's the connection, then, between inertial solar motion and a cold 1816, the eruption of Tambora aside? Inertial motion theory supporters state that perhaps it is no accident that the timing of the first two years (1632 and 1811) corresponds to the two weakest sunspot activity periods ever recorded: 1645-1715 (Maunder Minimum) and 1795-1823 (Dalton Minimum). This correlation suggests that the 1816 events can be linked to the Sun's motion around the barycenter. But just how they are linked — if at all — is another matter altogether.

In addition, some studies suggest direct connections (without the Sun's radiation intervening) between the Sun's inertial motion dynamics and phenomena on Earth such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, massive rainfall, surface air temperatures, and so on. It must be emphasized that from a “hard science” perspective, nobody has identified any plausible physical mechanisms to support this unproved but intriguing hypothesis. We must ask more insightful questions in order to offer explanations for the many phenomena exhibited by the Sun's magnetic field. One solar inertial motion model predicts that a prolonged solar magnetic activity minimum will occur somewhere between 1990 and 2013. This prolonged minimum is expected to end around 2091.

www.mitosyfraudes.org...

A little off topic from the main part of my post, but is history repeating itself? Is 2011 the start of what could of been what the start of 1811 might of been? Guess time will only tell. At least gives us something to think about.

Mount Rainier is a massive stratovolcano located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of Seattle, United States. It is the most prominent mountain in the contiguous United States and the Cascade Volcanic Arc, with a summit elevation of 14,411 feet (4,392 m).[1][2] Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, and it is on the Decade Volcano list.[7] Because of its large amount of glacial ice, Mt. Rainier could potentially produce massive lahars that would threaten the whole Puyallup River valley.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdebunker
(...)
I dont have those answers. But the good thing about doing research and being open minded is, it gives you the chance to educate yourself, you always have a new question to ask, and the more questions you search, and more opinions you are willing to hear from others, the more solid you can factually make your theory.

But, I dont have all the answers, but I can say, I wont stop looking

Greetings:

As one who appreciates the time and research you have obviously put into the OP,
STARS & FLAGS!

We think you are onto something here and will add to your great thread if and when possible.

Wonderful effort and congratulations. Keep up the good work!

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks for putting this info out there. Alot of coincidences there...

Great post!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Could we be split in twine!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

This is very interesting, with Elenin approaching and Yellowstone in the condition it is and being tied to this fault sets the US up for a diaster beyond proportion. following the maya 26000 yeasr cycle for super volcano eruptions this makes us the big mark for this summers coming events.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hmm, very interesting and great research and thread OP, good work.
Some coincidences there that does indicate history repeating, or another cycle passing?
I hope nothing major or catastrophic happens to us because of it.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join