It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

man finds lost bag of cash.. hands it back and is fined for his trouble..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
what would you do? you find £10,000 ($16,000) in a bag, do you hand it back? personally this would pose a dilemma to me, whilst i know the right thing to do would be to hand it back, i would be tempted to keep it.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b0b5ed74024.jpg[/atsimg]
i have in the past handed back a wallet full of cash i found in a bar, when the person who lost it found me to say thank you, i discovered it was a girl alone on holiday and it contained all her cash, cards, passport, i.d. (bascially she was screwed without it). she was actually crying with relief and extremely grateful.. that moment i knew i did the right thing and was so happy at my choice that night.. although i did have a that voice in my head telling me to keep it.

but this is cash that belonged to a bank, so in my eyes this is a slightly different and more difficult dilemma (even though it shouldnt be)

this story i found is about a guy that found a bag of cash and did hand it back and recieved a fine in the process.

Robert Adams, 54, saw the bag full of money next to a cash machine with Chase Bank's logo on the side. Instead of taking advantage, the resident of Arlington Heights, Illinois, returned it to the bank in question.

. Instead of handing in the money in the area where he found it, Adams took it to a police station nearer to his home where he said he felt more comfortable speaking to local police in familiar surroundings.

But thinking it would result in fewer questions, Adams told the bank — and the police — that he'd found the money near his home not in the shop. The error cost him $500 (£312).

yahoo

so he found the cash and returned it to his local police station, where he (stupidly) lied about where he found it.
he said he had reasons for this lie but IMO he had no reason to do this and it was a stupid thing to do..

but the point is, he did the right thing and handed it back... the authorities could have seen this and instead of fining him, they could have just given him a slap on the wrist.
the bank offered no reward for finding the cash, (they could of at least helped him pay his fine, or at least part of it.

so doing the right thing ultimatly cost him $500..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/649d271b569f.jpg[/atsimg]
yes he did lie about where he found it, but sometimes the end justifies the means.

what would you have done in this situation? keep the cash or hand it back?

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No Good Deed Goes Without Punishment

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Man, why can't I find a bag full of cash?

What I can't figure out is why the location of the found money is so important as to give a ticket to him for lying about it?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think the difference with that kind of find is wether you can put a face to the owner. Like in your case with the wallet. alot of people would hand it back becuase it belongs to an actual person, but when its a corperation, theres no guilt in keeping the money because it isn't affecting a person directly.

In other words, i would of definatly kept it

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
From what I understand it is illegal to 'find' stuff in the UK. They can charge you for thief for finding something in the UK. I bet the UK does not have a LOST & FOUND like the US and other places. If you lose something in the UK you might as well kiss it good-bye as it is illegal for someone to give it back to you. That is just messed up in so many ways.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
honestly

I would have Taken the girls holiday money and the big bag of cash.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
his mistake was handing it to the cops. you see the cops are your worst enemy now. look all over the place, they dont watch over the people, they watch the people, they protect the elites

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
From what I understand it is illegal to 'find' stuff in the UK. They can charge you for thief for finding something in the UK. I bet the UK does not have a LOST & FOUND like the US and other places. If you lose something in the UK you might as well kiss it good-bye as it is illegal for someone to give it back to you. That is just messed up in so many ways.

Er, no offence, Fixer - but that's one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical posts I've read on here in a long time. Why bother posting if you're just going to spout ill-informed drivel? Why?

John

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
yeah, sure, of course this is what happened. Nice story.
Now for the real scenario. He finds the bag of cash, thinks "wow I can go on holiday", takes it home, tells a couple of friends, who then point out that he could be facing a long drawn out process of institutionalised rape and humiliation.
He decides he needs to think fast and cover his tracks so he hands it in to his local police station with some contrived story.
After investigation, a case for theft wont hold in court, so he gets the fine.
Guess what, he deserved it, and is lucky that is all he got.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

im not actually sure this is correct information.. i know the uk does have lost and found. in police stations, shops, schools, public transport..etc
a friend had lost a phone on a train and he did get it back through a british rail lost and found department..

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by HologramDenier
yeah, sure, of course this is what happened. Nice story.
Now for the real scenario. He finds the bag of cash, thinks "wow I can go on holiday", takes it home, tells a couple of friends, who then point out that he could be facing a long drawn out process of institutionalised rape and humiliation.
He decides he needs to think fast and cover his tracks so he hands it in to his local police station with some contrived story.
After investigation, a case for theft wont hold in court, so he gets the fine.
Guess what, he deserved it, and is lucky that is all he got.

i did think of this scenario.. there doesnt seem to be be any sensible or valid reason for telling this lie, so maybe you are correct, although what you say is pure speculation.
all we have is this "official" story of events to go by... and ultimately the money was returned.. (i believe the same day it was found)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I wonder what would have happened to him if he had said: I found the money took it home because I was going to keep it and then had a bout of conscience. So I am returning the money on the same day I found it.

What would have happened to him? Because that is likely what really happened? Would you guys be feeling sorry for him or thinking this is unjust?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well thats what you get for lying. If he had told the truth he probably would not have been fined. I still think they should have waved it. He did go out of his way to do a good deed.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

No. It is illegal to find something of value and then not turn it in. If you keep it, then it's considered theft, even though someone lost it and you found it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I do not completely agree with those statements but I do know it's hell on wheels when someone does do the right thing. I found someone's social security card on the ground in a small walk park between the MacDonalds and Hospital and contacted the police to come to the park and I gave it to them and explained where I found it and how I came upon it. I had a friend walking wih me at the time and he witnessed it to. He was fearful the police would accuse me of stealing it or something but I laughed at him. Now that officer took the information and SS card and got my personal information like full name and address but he also asked me if I was employed which I found odd and unacceptable as a question over cuh a thing. He may have been following procedure but I found it appalling either way. I stated I was unemployed at the time because I was between jobs by like a week. I made it know I didn't understand what my employment stats had to do with anything since he had all my important information already. He did not respond at all and forbid to acknowledge my question. I could easily assume it was an investigative tactic to assess what kind of person I was to possibly profile me for implication in theft but what the helk has society gone to these days. This was 15 years ago at that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
i would have thought of keeping it
and after this story i will next time
i think he was scoring a we*d
and didnt want attention to his dealer friend

dave

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

with that kind of cash all tucked away neatly in a briefcase like something you would see in a criminal offense in the movies..I would keep it...F em

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
if our government lies cheats and steals, i say its good enough for us

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by jazzguy because: double post

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Is it possible with banks failing and having problems economically, that this bag was left purposely.. the bank loses 16,000... won't they report that to insurance..? I dont get why he'd get fined.. thats bogus... I'd fight that ticket.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join