It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

man finds lost bag of cash.. hands it back and is fined for his trouble..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by fixer1967
From what I understand it is illegal to 'find' stuff in the UK. They can charge you for thief for finding something in the UK. I bet the UK does not have a LOST & FOUND like the US and other places. If you lose something in the UK you might as well kiss it good-bye as it is illegal for someone to give it back to you. That is just messed up in so many ways.
No. It is illegal to find something of value and then not turn it in. If you keep it, then it's considered theft, even though someone lost it and you found it.

OK then pleae explain news stories I keep reading like the boy who found a cell phone on a bus and handed it over to police and got aressted for thief just by finding it and turning in.

www.freerepublic.com...

I never plan on going to the UK but if for some reason I find my self there I will be sure not to pickup any thing I see laying on the ground no matter what it is. Who ever lost it can just find it them selfs.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

From what I understand it is illegal to 'find' stuff in the UK. They can charge you for thief for finding something in the UK. I bet the UK does not have a LOST & FOUND like the US and other places. If you lose something in the UK you might as well kiss it good-bye as it is illegal for someone to give it back to you. That is just messed up in so many ways.

Have you even read the article, this whole thing happened in America. What has the UK got to do with this story?

Also we do have a lost and found. I found a bag of stolen cutlery on the Isle of Wight when I was a kid and handed it in. I didn't get charged or fined. Was thanked by the police for my honesty in fact.

edit on 2-7-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: Cos I wanted to.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Because this is a hypothetical,

If I found that bag, I would have kept it. Nothing to see here, move along.

Wallets and purses on the other hand, I would return, unless they belong to a scummy pos asshole I can't abide.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Its called 'stealing by finding' its used as a block to people who say they 'found' it, if there is a trash can with something in it you want, you have to get the owners permission to take it, even tho the owner has thrown it away!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Keeping the money wouldn't have been an option anyway.

He was captured on CCTV picking up the money, leaving the shop and getting into his car, and then charged with lying in a police report — resulting in his fine.

edit on 7/2/2011 by Klassified because: Corrected, because DUH.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
[
Have you even read the article, this whole thing happened in America. What has the UK got to do with this story?

SAY WHAT????????
I have read half a dozen reports of that same story and everyone said it happened in the UK. I just went and pull a copy for my post off the net. I need not feel the need to read that copy as I have already read it several time. I will have to check out the link for the one I just posted

OK, may you need to read it. This is in the UK news and it says the boy went Southport College, Merseyside in the UK and this happen in Merseyside in the UK
edit on 7/2/2011 by fixer1967 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
[

SAY WHAT????????
I have read half a dozen reports of that same story and everyone said it happened in the UK. I just went and pull a copy for my post off the net. I need not feel the need to read that copy as I have already read it several time. I will have to check out the link for the one I just posted

OK, may you need to read it. This is in the UK news and it says the boy went Southport College, Merseyside in the UK and this happen in Merseyside in the UK
edit on 7/2/2011 by fixer1967 because: (no reason given)

No you MAY need to read it again mate. Your first post in this whole sage was in response to the original post. The one about the bloke handing in the banks money ie this story uk.finance.yahoo.com...

I was asking you what the OP had to do with the UK. You then posted about the mobile phone however I was not asking you about that, I was asking you about the OP.

Do you now understand or do you need to read it through more slowly?

edit on 2-7-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Okay.
Screw, the bank, Screw the cops, screw everyone else, I'm taking the money.
Good day to you all.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Morals and ethics would guide me to give back money legitimately owned by a human. However, a bag with "Chase Bank" on it doesn't sound like it should go back to it's "owner".

I think I'd either drop it off at the nearest homeless shelter or send it to whatever disaster relief fund that happens to be screwing some 3rd-world nation at the time. From Chase, that's not theft; it's society accepting providential repayment from the banking industry.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Cuervo because: no coffee yet...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This kind of reminds me of the time my husband and I found 200 $ in cash at our local hardware store. The cash was just laying on the floor in the entrance way. My husband and I are huge believers in Karma and decided to wander around the store looking for someone who looked like they were looking for something lol. We wandered around for about an hour and a half and decided to go to customer service to ask if anyone came looking for lost cash. They told us no. We left our names and phone number with customer service and took the cash with us. (they did not look trustworthy to us) We were planning to go camping in a few days and decided if no one called us before then we would keep the cash and use it for our trip. We felt bad about it but tried to find the owners. No one ever called.
Now if the bag of cash that was found was clearly property of a bank, for me Karma would come and slap me in the face if I kept it. I would promptly return it to the owner whether it was a bank or regular citizen. It's the right thing to do, and to be honest the guilt I would feel would not go away no matter how much cash was in that bag. I'm not judging anyone who would keep it, I'm just saying the guilt I would feel alone would not be worth the prize. Plus, it being from a bank the serial numbers are undoubtedly recorded so even if I spent it somewhere I would be afraid it could be easily tracked >.> Then what?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

whilst i know the right thing to do would be to hand it back, i would be tempted to keep it.

The "right" thing to do, is to take care of number 1. I wouldve kept it without hesitation but dont put it in the bank, since the bankers would report it as "suspicious activity"

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Who doesn't have a cell phone these days.

Something as suspicious as a bag of cash with a bank logo on it - - could mean anything.

Don't move it from where you found it. Call the police and let them take care of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

i'd have kept it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Call me an asshole but I wouldn't return it, especially the ones from Chase...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The finder of the money is not innocent - No way. He stole the money he found then realised that he was screwed when he got home and his mate said well what about the CCTV?!?

There is no reason on this Earth that he would not have called the bank teller/ security/ manager over to tell them that they had left a bag of money on the ground in a bag that was logoed no less.

I call BS and have no proof except instinct. It was an opportunistic theft and then he # it: simples

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow after reading this i think i will keep every dollar i find from now on.
S&F

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have found so much money, jewelry, keys.a few purses and wallets and have always either turned the item in or waited for the owner to show up looking! I would not think twice about it, it would go back no matter what! Like Felyn said a few posts back,
Karma baby!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
being in the uk i'd of just handed it into the police and said where i found it and let them sort it out but knowing how inept my local force is i'd probably get the cash handed back to me as the rightful owner after a few months even if there was a ticket inside with the name and address of the rightful owner

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
moral questions like these are fun to answer. I would keep it
finders keepers when it comes to stuff like that, if it was someones wallet, a face I could put with the money, I would for sure return it. But come on who loses that much cash in one lump sum with no I.D. to go with it, or way of knowing who it belongs too. I would take it in a heart beat with out a second thought, and the fam would be hooked up for a little bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join