It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran demands...oh forget it this country just won't SHUT UP!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Iran is again complaining at the World. now they are angry and are demanding that France Germany and Britain support its goal of having nuclear weapons both for "civilian use and military use"
Iran is apparently requesting help from them, when will this country realize that the whole world is against it having nukes!

Iran is boldly demanding that Britain, France and Germany actively support its quest for advanced nuclear technology for both civilian and military purposes, rather than opposing it, the Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Wednesday.

Iranian officials made the "extraordinary" demand during talks in Paris on defusing international tension over Tehran's nuclear intentions, the newspaper's diplomatic editor reported.

During the meeting, which the Daily Telegraph said took place earlier this month, the Europeans tried to convince their Iranian counterparts to honour an earlier deal to suspend a controversial uranium enrichment programme.

Instead the Iranians set out their own demands, stating that Europe's three biggest nations -- two of them nuclear powers -- should back Iran's quest for "advanced (nuclear) technology, including those of dual use".

Iran demanding support from the Europeans.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Where in the article did it say they want to have nuclear weapons? All I read was that they want nuclear technology. And they have the right to develop whatever they want, it is a sovereign country afterall.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samiralfey
Where in the article did it say they want to have nuclear weapons? All I read was that they want nuclear technology. And they have the right to develop whatever they want, it is a sovereign country afterall.

i think the part "nuclear technology for civilian and military", and military meaning in weapon form?
or?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
"i think the part "nuclear technology for civilian and military", and military meaning in weapon form?
or?"

Yes, I noticed it of course but as long as they don't talk about nukes literally then everything is OK.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Iran is again complaining at the World. now they are angry and are demanding that France Germany and Britain support its goal of having nuclear weapons both for "civilian use and military use"
Iran is apparently requesting help from them, when will this country realize that the whole world is against it having nukes!

- What has this story got to do with 'nukes'?

Iran is demanding the right to nuclear technology like any other nation.

This is not the same as saying they are on the verge of deploying numerous nuclear weapons to threaten anyone in the region (as is being heavily implied); in fact it is far from it......

.....unlike a certain one of their near neighbours in the ME who's nuclear weapons you seem to find no problem at all.

Iran is boldly demanding that Britain, France and Germany actively support its quest for advanced nuclear technology for both civilian and military purposes, rather than opposing it, the Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Wednesday.

Iranian officials made the "extraordinary" demand during talks in Paris on defusing international tension over Tehran's nuclear intentions, the newspaper's diplomatic editor reported.

During the meeting, which the Daily Telegraph said took place earlier this month, the Europeans tried to convince their Iranian counterparts to honour an earlier deal to suspend a controversial uranium enrichment programme.

Instead the Iranians set out their own demands, stating that Europe's three biggest nations -- two of them nuclear powers -- should back Iran's quest for "advanced (nuclear) technology, including those of dual use".

Iran demanding support from the Europians.

- Ha ha ha 'The Daily Telegraph'?! Westy along with 'The Sun' and 'The Daily Mail' they don't get much more right-wing in the UK. This is hardly a good impartial source.

Check out the reports of the latest UN inspection findings -

www.guardian.co.uk...

....now, you can do your 'oh I wouldn't trusty them' routine but I think they are the ones who proves most capable in Iraq when it came to WMD 1st time around and most accurate over what was going on 2nd time about.

It would seem clear that there has been some low-level contamination and that even the US has been completely unable to do anything more than hurl some accusations around.....this is all getting depressingly familiar.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
You go off about all the right wing papers, then link us to an Uber lefty rag site...................

God, why cant I find anyone nice and neutral anymore?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   

That site spun it to make it seem like they were making demands for technology to be used for the purpose of making nuclear weapons but that's not what they said.

Here's a list of their demands:

MSNBC
The Iranian demands include:

* a call on the EU Three to back Iran�s insistence that it have access to �advanced (nuclear) technology, including those with dual use� � a term for equipment and know-how with both peaceful and weapons applications;
* a demand that they �remove impediments� � present sanctions � preventing Iran access to such technology;
* an assurance that the European powers stick to the commitments even if faced with �legal (or) political ... limitations� � an apparent allusion to potential Security Council sanctions on Iran;
* agreement by the EU Three to meet Iran�s conventional weapons requirements;
* and a commitment to push �rigorously and systematically� for a non-nuclear Middle East and to �provide security assurances� against a nuclear attack on Iran � both allusions to Israel, which is believed to have nuclear arms and destroyed Iraq�s nuclear reactor in a 1981 strike to prevent it from making atomic arms.

They are asking for equipment that is required for the operation of a nuclear plant.
That same equipment could also, theoretically, be used for weapons making but they are not suggesting that is what they will use it for.
Notice that they were urging for a non-nuclear Middle East, referring to weapons.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The same goes for that obnoxious country off the coast of Europe... you know the one i mean

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
whats your beef?

Just because my asshole government is obnoxious doesnt mean that the country as a whole is

so please refrain from tarring us with the one brush coz it aint that simple

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
"civilian use and military use" Uhh...and why do they want advanced nuclear tech for military? I guess to all of you who claim they want it for civilian uses... Explain to me what they need it for military use for? perhaps they want to use it more making weapon!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
You go off about all the right wing papers, then link us to an Uber lefty rag site...................

God, why cant I find anyone nice and neutral anymore?

'The Guardian' is "uber lefty" to you?!

um, ok. If you say so.

In any case the reference is there for the report itself, not just some commentary which you may or may not choose to agree with.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

"civilian use and military use" Uhh...and why do they want advanced nuclear tech for military? I guess to all of you who claim they want it for civilian uses... Explain to me what they need it for military use for? perhaps they want to use it more making weapon!!!

Iran did not say they wanted it for military use.
The site you quoted said made that assumption.

I think you are unaware of what 'dual use' technology is.
If you have a swimming pool, you almost certainly posess 'dual use' technology that could be used for military purposes.
The Chlorine used to keep pools clean can also be used to create chlorine gas, a chemical weapon.

With nuclear technology, there exists similar 'dual use' technology.
The equipment to enrich uranium for civilian use, to provide electricity, could be used to enrich uranium to create weapons.

archive.greenpeace.org...
a civil gas diffusion type plant of 5,000 stages, capable of annually producing, say, 500kg of 20% enriched uranium for research reactor fuel, could be readily adapted to yield 25kg or so of 90% enriched uranium per year - this is sufficient for the manufacture of a single, enriched uranium A-bomb warhead per year.

In effect, all enrichment plants are dual capable in that low, moderate and highly enriched uranium can be produced for both civil and military applications.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
whats your beef?

Just because my asshole government is obnoxious doesnt mean that the country as a whole is

THis is in respoce to WestPoint telling the nation od Iran to "shut up" and then you come with this.

I don't get it.

US bashing = bad

US bashing every other country = foreign policy

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
whats your beef?

THis is in respoce to WestPoint telling the nation od Iran to "shut up" and

then you come with this.

I don't get it, I wasn't directing it at the population of the place just the govt and its grand claims and statements.

US bashing = bad

US bashing every other country = foreign policy

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

"civilian use and military use" Uhh...and why do they want advanced nuclear tech for military?

- The point you are trying so desparately to avoid seeing Westy is that advanced civillian use nuclear tech is 'duel use'.

Sufficiently advanced legitimate tools and tech for civillian use - even though you only intend to use them for civillian use work - innately have a duel (military) use capability.

I guess to all of you who claim they want it for civilian uses... Explain to me what they need it for military use for?

- As I and others have said it need not be for any military intent at all, the most likely probability is it isn't given the utter lack of any weapon evidence.

perhaps they want to use it more making weapon!!!

- What "more making weapon"? What are you talking about? Are you seriously suggesting they now have nuclear weapons?

[edit on 11-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
sorry if i misunderstood

its just i feel i need to defend the population of the uk. we are being represented by a bunch of evil fools who dont even listen to us

if you don't like the UK government then i'm with you on that one

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I have only one question to ask regarding this subject:

Why would Iran, a country with one of the world's largest reserve of crude oil and natural gas, want to risk world condemnation and possible military hostility from its neighbors for the sake of "peaceful" nuclear power experimentation?

I mean, the benefits have to outweigh the risks, am I right? Well, why would they risk so much political and economic damage for a supply of power that they can so easily produce with their current oil and gas capabilities? I think we all can answer that.....

Any country whose official government and stated foreign policy calls for the destruction of one or more of their geographic neighbors should never be allowed to posses nuclear power, in any form, whatsoever. Period. And for us (the western powers) to allow them to freely obtain this power would be, IMHO, certainly negligent on our part.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Wait a minute, if Iran really wanted to make nukes, you really think the would've just come and said: "Please support us, we just want to have some nukes so that we will be able to destroy Israel when the time is right"?

Don't be so naive, Iran will never admit they want nukes even if thats true, and "nuclear technology" is the best thing they can say. Not to mention that Iran has plenty of oil. What do they need nuclear energy for? some extra electicity?

right...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
why would they risk so much political and economic damage for a supply of power that they can so easily produce with their current oil and gas capabilities?

The less oil they use domestically, the more they have for sale to the rest of the world. They also extend the life of their oil reserves by using other methods of producing electricity. Some countries that were previously oil exporters or were self sufficient are now importing oil.
"Indonesia marks the first OPEC country to achieve a couple of significant milestones that will likely be repeated by other OPEC members. First, after more than 100 years of exporting oil, Indonesia became a net importer of oil in 2004. I believe the increased use of modern technology will deplete the reserves of smaller OPEC producers such as Libya and Qatar faster than many thought possible. This could make these countries net oil importers in the not too distant future."
www.financialsense.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Duh, how about nuclear powered naval craft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join