It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE USA will abandon all of its 600 military bases immediately! The Benefits of ISOLATIONISM!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
as long as it means we send home every illegal alien,I have no problem with it

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It pains me to say this but we're already 20 years too late. The country has been circling the drain for a while.

Isolationism, at this point, would be an intelligent move, but no one in politics is that forward-thinking.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If America wanted to "Isolate" itself then there is one thing to bear in mind. Foreign countries invest in the US. My own country Great Britain is the largest foreign investor in the US and contributes 26% of your GDP. Think about how many Americans that employs. If you wanted to shut the door on the rest of the world then the rest of the world would close the door on you.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
If America wanted to "Isolate" itself then there is one thing to bear in mind. Foreign countries invest in the US. My own country Great Britain is the largest foreign investor in the US and contributes 26% of your GDP. Think about how many Americans that employs. If you wanted to shut the door on the rest of the world then the rest of the world would close the door on you.

But what you fail to realize is once we quit buying from everyone else we will need to make it ourselves thus employing most if not all of our own people. We'd be just fine.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
natural gas? really?

Do you have any idea how it is extracted? Its very harmful to the environment, and should not be considered even for 1 second... Unless you like your water faucets catching on fire?

Also 100 year supply of oil? Yah right, maybe for 1930 usage... Ever heard of the Exponential Function?

We have more oil reserves than you can think of. Also the water faucets catching on fire was from a eco-nut documentary. That "phenonena" has been happening in that region for over 100 years. Its a natural occurance. Sorry to say that the cause of it catching on fire as man made has been debunked. Here a little light to shine on the subject...

www.wnd.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

If you could "Make it yourself" then you would be doing that already and not depending on foreign companies to employ Americans in your own country. Here are just 2 British examples:-

www.rolls-royce.com...

www.baesystems.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Under close scrutiny!? I would hope so. The thread title reads like a headline, only to arrive here and find a hypothetical scenario!?

Will ATS go by the path of the phonograph? So long as threads skip like CDs, but it's worth the laugh.
But money to the pocket, so never mind the dance.
As long as we keep on posting, and Deny, ignore ants!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The US does not spend 1 nickel to have it's military in foreign countries.

In fact since WWII we have forced countries to fund our military presence. Japan spends $2 Billion a year alone to fund our presence there. Find out how many GI's we have there and add up their wages....

we make out AHEAD...by having our military around the world.

Well except for Israel...we lose our rear having our military there...PLUS we have to PAY THEM free money every year. For what?...God seems to be punishing America lately. Maybe we should try paying the Hindu's free Billions for a few decades and see if that pans out instead.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

It's called self-preservation. I doubt we'd abandon Britain. Think about it. You are having the same problems. We have mutual interests.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CodexSinaiticus

If only we could, what a great day that would be. But alas, we have sold off controlling interests in America. Nice thought though, what a great day dream.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Yeah, Iraq and Afghanistan are paying US while we rebuild their infrastructure.

I'd like some of that dope you're smoking. It obscures that 14 trillion dollar hole in the treasury if we smoke enough of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CodexSinaiticus

Well, you have my S&F. I often wondered what it would be like if we just pulled out of every place we're involved (save Israel... sorry, I feel that we are supposed to stand at their side. To be honest, they do seem like the only real allies we have. Just my opinion). Our troops could police our boarders and security. National Guard could take the place of our crooked police force (I've been there.. I know how messed up it is! The things I've seen!) Unfortunatly, our troops in the active millitary are not alowed to fight on our soil if it came down to it. But... I really think the world as a whole would finaly understand the importance of the US involved in all the turmoil in the world today. Yes, I know we do great harm. But... What I have not decided is, is it a necissary evil, preventing the final "all hell breaking loose". We're damage control on a planet that will eventually fall into world war again and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. If not war.. Then we'll fall into cataclysm as we are seeing around the world today. I often wonder if it's just something we will HAVE to go through.

Still, If the US pulled out, then perhaps the rest of the world will just go into complete turmoil untill it is finaly brought to our very steps. I really feel people sometimes push for things when they dont know anything about what they ask for. We all, myself included, often have this view that we know what's right, when in truth, we only "think" we know what's right for ourselves, sans the rest of the world. Still, I would love to see America stand aside and come home completely and let the rest of the world destroy itself. We have much to do here before we can do elsewhere.. Even though in the end, it would more than likely end up with an evil dominated world ending up at our very beaches.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodexSinaiticus

Originally posted by civilchallenger

Here are some words that describe the USA pulling out of the 600 military bases:
1. Friendly
2. Neighborly
3. Cooperative
4. Polite
5. Receptive
6. Collaborative
7. Harmonious
8. Synergistic
9. Accommodating
10. Hospitable

Here is a word that describes the exact opposite of the act of pulling out of 600 overseas bases: ISOLATIONIST. Pulling out of the 600 bases (actually its more like 1,000 total) is completely collaborative, cooperative, and receptive towards the rest of the world.

Ahh, I disagree.

Although, it could be argued that all 11 items are true. And, it's more like 600.
edit on 29-6-2011 by CodexSinaiticus because: (no reason given)

Does creating enemies increase isolation or decrease isolation? Creating enemies increases isolation. Creating overseas military bases creates enemies. Creating enemies increases isolation. Therefore, abandoning overseas military bases reduces our number of the USA enemies and therefore does the exact opposite of isolationism. Cooperation, collaboration, and receptiveness are the exact opposite of isolationism.

Free trade and easy traveling are good. Overseas bases are bad and they create enemies causing the USA to be increasingly isolated. So, the USA need the opposite of isolationism for the best possible economy.

Look at this at a personal level. If you go around shoving a gun in people's faces left and right are you going to become known as a collaborative neighbor, or as an anti-social isolationist? You'll be known as someone who is burning their bridges and thereby increasing their isolation within the community.

If I use this "logic", we would already be consider isolationist. Everyone does hate us!

Don't you think the USA has become increasingly isolated over the past few decades? We've pissed off a good fraction of the Arab countries and also Eastern countries including Russia. You don't think the USA is more isolated as a result as a result of that? Also, there shouldn't be any quotes saying "logic"... its just logic.
edit on 1-7-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well the world would sure like America a whole lot more.

Do it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

The Bank of England owns the Federal Reserve, so American taxes have actually been supporting your country for close to 100 years (1914 Federal Reserve Act).

Also, after we kick out your investors, we'll still have your companies here with their infrastructure. This time staffed solely by Americans.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Here are some words that describe the USA pulling out of the 600 military bases:
1. Friendly
2. Neighborly
3. Cooperative
4. Polite
5. Receptive
6. Collaborative
7. Harmonious
8. Synergistic
9. Accommodating
10. Hospitable

Here is a word that describes the exact opposite of the act of pulling out of 600 overseas bases: ISOLATIONIST. Pulling out of the 600 bases (actually its more like 1,000 total) is completely collaborative, cooperative, and receptive towards the rest of the world.

Ahh, I disagree.

Although, it could be argued that all 11 items are true. And, it's more like 600.

Does creating enemies increase isolation or decrease isolation? Creating enemies increases isolation. Creating overseas military bases creates enemies. Creating enemies increases isolation. Therefore, abandoning overseas military bases reduces our number of the USA enemies and therefore does the exact opposite of isolationism. Cooperation, collaboration, and receptiveness are the exact opposite of isolationism.

Free trade and easy traveling are good. Overseas bases are bad and they create enemies causing the USA to be increasingly isolated. So, the USA need the opposite of isolationism for the best possible economy.

Look at this at a personal level. If you go around shoving a gun in people's faces left and right are you going to become known as a collaborative neighbor, or as an anti-social isolationist? You'll be known as someone who is burning their bridges and thereby increasing their isolation within the community.

If I use this "logic", we would already be consider isolationist. Everyone does hate us!

Don't you think the USA has become increasingly isolated over the past few decades? We've pissed off a good fraction of the Arab countries and also Eastern countries including Russia. You don't think the USA is more isolated as a result as a result of that? Also, there shouldn't be any quotes saying "logic"... its just logic.

Your logic was without logic, hence the "-"

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

1. Friendly
2. Neighborly
3. Cooperative
4. Polite
5. Receptive
6. Collaborative
7. Harmonious
8. Synergistic
9. Accommodating
10. Hospitable

Ahh, I disagree.

If the logic was anything other than sound and solid you would have responded to the two main questions rather than spend your time avoiding the important questions I asked. If you spend all your time creating new enemies, you are an isolationist. That is exactly what the USA spends its time doing these days. And yes, it has become increasingly isolated. Isolationism is a bad thing, and if you think isolationism will make the economy anything but far worse off, you are shoving your head in the sand.

The world works by decreasing isolationism, increasing free trade, and increasing the freedom of movement. Tariffs have shown to negatively effect an economy in every single study I've ever seen. Every --- Single --- One..

The world falls apart by increasing isolationism. And one of the ways you become isolationist is by sending out armies in places it is not welcome.

Look at this in personal terms. If you go around bullying people and shoving people around will you be perceived as outgoing and friendly? No, you'll be perceived as an isolating your self from others. Or, if you go around building a favorited group of people that refuse to interact with others, you could also be described as isolationist or at least divisive.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

1. Friendly
2. Neighborly
3. Cooperative
4. Polite
5. Receptive
6. Collaborative
7. Harmonious
8. Synergistic
9. Accommodating
10. Hospitable

Ahh, I disagree.

If the logic was anything other than sound and solid you would have responded to the two main questions rather than spend your time avoiding the important questions I asked. If you spend all your time creating new enemies, you are an isolationist. That is exactly what the USA spends its time doing these days. And yes, it has become increasingly isolated. Isolationism is a bad thing, and if you think isolationism will make the economy anything but far worse off, you are shoving your head in the sand.

The world works by decreasing isolationism, increasing free trade, and increasing the freedom of movement. Tariffs have shown to negatively effect an economy in every single study I've ever seen. Every --- Single --- One..

The world falls apart by increasing isolationism. And one of the ways you become isolationist is by sending out armies in places it is not welcome.

Look at this in personal terms. If you go around bullying people and shoving people around will you be perceived as outgoing and friendly? No, you'll be perceived as an isolating your self from others. Or, if you go around building a favorited group of people that refuse to interact with others, you could also be described as isolationist or at least divisive.

I fail to see the nexus re: isolation and not being liked, either I am overly obtuse or you are failing to make your point clear.

The truth is you could never prove to me that dislike=isolation. The USA ironically is the best illustration that dislike (does not =)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c370e458c493.jpg[/atsimg] isolation.

As far as making enemies, well, I try to limit them as best I can.

I do my thing, you do yours and we finish where we finish.

Life is too short to worry about the sensitivities or mental state of another poster.

Just do you.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
that would really take a toll on the local economy.

we employ locals where it is feasible.

the men and women spend their money locally too.

(in friendly countries)

it's not all us service people running/working those bases.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The Bank of England owns the Federal Reserve, so American taxes have actually been supporting your country for close to 100 years (1914 Federal Reserve Act).

Also, after we kick out your investors, we'll still have your companies here with their infrastructure. This time staffed solely by Americans.

So when it comes to international Patents the US would just ignore them? Interesting.
edit on 4-7-2011 by alldaylong because: Missed off my comment

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join