It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WebGuard: Issues with the new Avira "improvements"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Beware: Avira Partners With Ask And UniBlue

Free users get the web guard component activated in Avira if they install the Avira SearchFree Toolbar. The component will only be available as long as the toolbar is installed on the system.

Avira notes that the toolbar is installed in an opt-in process. Existing users get a notification about a new function eventually. This notification pops up at the bottom of the computer screen. Note that you can select Install Now or Install Later, but not to say no to the installation.

I've been using Avira as my free anti-virus for a couple of years now, and have been happy enough.
Although, it may b time to shop for a new free anti-virus.

Yesterday, an update happened.
No biggie, but then you get a pop up saying a new feature is available. So, I try it.

I end up with the Ask.com toolbar on FF, but again no biggie, I just un-do it on Firefox

But, then we have WebGuard

Enabling it completely blocked my Internet.
Completely...even on Opera.

So, I disable it.
The Internet returns, but the umbrella is closed.
Not the worst thing in teh world, but I want to know why configuring the damn thing still gives me no Internet.

So, I go to the Avira forums, post my problem and am told to post a HiJack this log.

I am told I need to disable MalwareBytes, WinPatrol AND Windows Defender. I don't need them to be active anymore, and anyway, Wiindows Defender is not going to be updated in the future?????

So, we're supposed to assume the new toy by Avira is so foolproof, it's gonna block all malware, phisihng, bad sites, etc etc.

Not trusting this scene somehow :shk:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
AVG Free Antivirus is the one i use mostly, for computers i repair and for myself as well. (malwarebytes, zonealarm as well). I dont use a firewall on my home computer, dont really need to behind a router (and practice safe downloading)

Avira use to be alright, i got tired of that one pretty quick though. Can't remember why it turned me off though. None of my other ones asked me to disable any of my other programs.
edit on 29/6/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/6/11 by AzureSky because: AVG, not Avast

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Heres two that I used back when I was using windows, they are the best I know of, yeah they are free.

avast

AVG

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Hi, thanks for the post. I also use Avira and it is very cool that you put this up otherwise I would have had no idea.

My internet went down yesterday and it seemed to have to do with the fact that my home line suddenly (about 3 yesterday) has no dial tone.

Anyhow, I did not think to check to see if Avira is somehow interfering. I would like to check it out but all I see on my Avira software is 'guard' not 'webguard'. Also I have never been prompted to make a decision on the ask.com tool bar and I don't see it on FF; should it be obvious if it is installed?

Thanks for the OP.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

FWIW, this new update seems to be only available in English....other languages to follow from what I read.

Also, it's an update that requires two reboots: one for the Avira updates, then a box pops up telling there is a new service available.

The Avira url relating to the WebGuard/Ask thing is now disbled at Windows 7 Firewall Control.

I may just have to go back to AVG....I think I quit them to go to Avira.
Trying to remember why I left

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Thanks for that. I will be on the lookout.

I remember why I left AVG. Because it behaved more like a virus itself, than any of the others, and Avira seemed like the least troublesome. I think that is always open to change, though.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

...and I don't like any product that tells you to use their toolbars...

Agreed and I won't install apps. that require use of additional toolbars, either. Too many other options to have to succumb to that kind of heavy hand... Pfft.

edit on 29-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I know there can be too much of a good thing, having two firewalls or two anti-virus, but I just didn't like the guys attitude, as if their product was "IT"

Yea, you don't have to uninstall it, but you gotta disable it...pleasssse...and I don't like any product that tells you to use their toolbars...got enough clutter as it is on my browser

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up as I use Avira on all my machines on my network. I found Avira to be the least intrusive and left the smallest RAM footprint, maybe it's time to find another virus utility. As for web browsing and online phishing and exploits, a combination of the latest version of Firefox, Adaware and NoScript addons seems to be the greatest combination available at the moment to protect oneself while surfing with the least amount of adverts. For complete anonymity I use an application called Tor and various none transparent proxies.
edit on 29-6-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You can't have the webguard without the Ask toolbar. So it is no good trying to get the guard without the tooolbar.
Apparently it will nag you fo 3 reboots. Press later/not now each time and it stops asking you. This has worked for me - we will see if and when I get nagged again.. If it is too soon I may just move to Avast.
edit on 30-6-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have been using Avast only for a very long time and will not use any other anti-virus.

But,a few years ago it acted weird for about twelve hours telling me I had viruses in files I knew was safe.

It turns out someone back in their "Headuarters" did something stupid.

They fixed it and the guy was quickly unemployed.

They even sent instructions to how to unquarantine the suspected files.

I have tried all the others and I will stick with Avast.

The female voice that tells you the program has been updated sounds very sexy!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I also use Avira (I use AVG before, but it slowed my computer and wasn't able to detect several known worms), and it asked for the installation of the toolbar, so I said no.

The umbrella now is closed, and it says:
- Guard: active
- WebGuard: unknown

It only asked for one reboot, but it asks me everyday for the installation of WebGuard, but that may be because I do not shutdown my computer, I just "suspend" it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

There may be a workaround for the closed umbrella at the Avira forum, as others opted out of the toolbar.
It wasn't my issue, so I didn't pay much attention.

forum.avira.com...

top topics

join