It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have exceeded the maximum window of 4 hours allowed to edit your post.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Why dear god...why? Ugh, I actually wanna punch this rule in its stupid face

That is all

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I've had a run in with this a couple times. Could definately do without this little rule.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Why dear god...why? Ugh, I actually wanna punch this rule in its stupid face

That is all

I think they are afraid of people sobering up after 4 hours and deleting their posts.
Second line.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The worse thing is; they don't really give you 4 hours to edit. A lot of times the edit window ends after about 2 hours.

There's noting worse than seeing that message when you can plainly read that the timestamp on your post was only 3 hours ago and you want to fix a horribly misspelled word.

:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yeah, I totally agree.

I wrote a thread a few weeks ago and posted it, and then realised I had missed out an essential piece of info that I wanted to include. So I clicked to editor it, but I couldn't find the piece that I wanted to add, so I thought it best to not add the thread to ATS without all the relevant info included. But then I find that there is no way of deleting my original post and it is added to ATS anyway.........

So what is the reason for not having a delete button if you wanna take something off the website?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Swills

The worse thing is; they don't really give you 4 hours to edit. A lot of times the edit window ends after about 2 hours.

There's noting worse than seeing that message when you can plainly read that the timestamp on your post was only 3 hours ago and you want to fix a horribly misspelled word.

:bnghd:

I know, right!!! I knew I wasn't crazy!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The four hour limit is so you can't 'change history' so to speak?

If you could change it whenever you want that would create some interesting threads, and would probably bring about chaos. I think it is a good idea. Who cares about spelling and grammar these days anyway, spell check has ruined that art.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I want to edit my original posts in my threads, and even my posts, but I can't. On other forums I frequent their edit window is like a week. In my opinion, there should be no edit window at all. Why have it? I never get things right the 1st time, or 2nd time, or 3rd, I can go on.... And if you wanna delete the thread you made, so be it. Chances are it was for a good reason.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Highlander_
reply to post by Swills

The four hour limit is so you can't 'change history' so to speak?

If you could change it whenever you want that would create some interesting threads, and would probably bring about chaos. I think it is a good idea. Who cares about spelling and grammar these days anyway, spell check has ruined that art.

Eh, I see what you're saying but I don't view it as that at all. I view my threads, well some of them, as ever changing bodies of information, not written in cyber stone

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Well...they do change with every additional post. The problem is people take argument with every little detail, imagine if you could change thoses details at any particular time. No one could prove what was stated or who said what or how they meant it etc... ATS would fall into ever changing chaos. I guess it is on us to make sure what we are saying is good and proper and spelled correctly if you worry about such things, and if not we have four hours(maybe 2 is it?) to amend that. Any more and I don't think ATS would not exist as it does, there would be no solid(stone) reference points.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
There have been times when a member starts a thread and when he/she doesn't get the response they want they will delete their opening posts. Other times one member will personally attack or bait another member or group wait until they get a predicted response and then remove the questionable content from their original post to cover their tracks. Such is the nature of things on the internet.

However, if for some reason you want to make a change to your original post (correct a typo, add a link, etc.) simply contact the staff and make a request. This kind of thing happens on occasion, and provided it's a reasonable request we are usually more than happy to oblige.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I actually wanna punch this rule in its stupid face.
Do it. Center of the monitor.

I agree with FortAnthem, there have been several times I have tried right around the 2 hour mark, and was denied. If the 4 hours, was actually 4 hours, it would be more than enough time. 2 hours is actually plenty of time, but not when you are under the false impression that you have 4.

Originally posted by maria_stardust
However, if for some reason you want to make a change to your original post (correct a typo, add a link, etc.) simply contact the staff and make a request. This kind of thing happens on occasion, and provided it's a reasonable request we are usually more than happy to oblige.

This works. I have done this a couple of times, when it was a simple error that had no effect on an ongoing debate or conversation. For example, once was a post with 3 music videos. At the time of the post, I did not realize that I had accidentally posted 4 videos: #1 and #4 being the same.

I don't suppose you could use your Super-Mod Powers
to change the 4 hours into an actual 4 hours could you?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Ah, I've always wondered if I'd ever have the opportunity to use this particular cliche:
Alas, my super-mod powers only extend so far. It's above my pay grade.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Any idea why it is only 2 hours?
Is it always that way or just sometimes?

I don't know. I try to not let it get that far (anymore), if I can help it. I wasn't sure if that was just an occasional glitch that causes it to sometimes be only 2 hours, or if it is never actually a full 4 hours.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Highlander_
reply to post by Swills

Well...they do change with every additional post. The problem is people take argument with every little detail, imagine if you could change thoses details at any particular time. No one could prove what was stated or who said what or how they meant it etc... ATS would fall into ever changing chaos. I guess it is on us to make sure what we are saying is good and proper and spelled correctly if you worry about such things, and if not we have four hours(maybe 2 is it?) to amend that. Any more and I don't think ATS would not exist as it does, there would be no solid(stone) reference points.

You can prove it by having someone else quote you.

Bam! Cyber stone! Behold!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

There have been times when a member starts a thread and when he/she doesn't get the response they want they will delete their opening posts. Other times one member will personally attack or bait another member or group wait until they get a predicted response and then remove the questionable content from their original post to cover their tracks. Such is the nature of things on the internet.

Oh god, who really has time for such nonsense. While I don't disagree with you that there is indeed trolls on every forum, it is their own fault if they fall subject to trolls. Any Mod here can spot a troll a mile away & will do what they do best. So lets not fret

I figured I could contact someone to edit my post, problem is I just wanna be able to do it myself

edit on 29-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Ah, I've always wondered if I'd ever have the opportunity to use this particular cliche:
Alas, my super-mod powers only extend so far. It's above my pay grade.

Who can I write about this

Seriously, I have the time

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Oh god, who really has time for such nonsense. While I don't disagree with you that there is indeed trolls on every forum, it is their own fault if they fall subject to trolls. Any Mod here can spot a troll a mile away & will do what they do best. So lets not fret

I figured I could contact someone to edit my post, problem is I just wanna be able to do it myself

Who really has time?
It would have taken much less time and effort to just send an 'Alert,' as opposed to creating a thread about the issue.

Now, you have spent more time, and have most likely still not changed/edited whatever it was.
In a shorter amount of time, it could have already been fixed/edited.

ETA:
hmm

Who can I write about this

Seriously, I have the time

who really has time? I have time. Who really has time? I have time.

edit on 6/29/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

As far as I know this site is a magical playground powered by twinkly fairies running on hamster wheels. Which is to say I have no earthly idea regarding the behind the scenes magic.

reply to post by Swills

It may be an inconvenience at times, however without it this place could easily become chaotic. Not to say that it isn't chaotic at this time of the year, but it would be more so if this feature wasn't in place.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

As far as I know this site is a magical playground powered by twinkly fairies running on hamster wheels.

lmao. Thank you. I have had a theory similar to this for quite some time now. This is the confirmation that I have been waiting for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join