Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

You have exceeded the maximum window of 4 hours allowed to edit your post.

page: 2
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by Swills
Oh god, who really has time for such nonsense. While I don't disagree with you that there is indeed trolls on every forum, it is their own fault if they fall subject to trolls. Any Mod here can spot a troll a mile away & will do what they do best. So lets not fret

I figured I could contact someone to edit my post, problem is I just wanna be able to do it myself

Who really has time?
It would have taken much less time and effort to just send an 'Alert,' as opposed to creating a thread about the issue.

Now, you have spent more time, and have most likely still not changed/edited whatever it was.
In a shorter amount of time, it could have already been fixed/edited.


 

ETA:
hmm

Originally posted by Swills
Who can I write about this


Seriously, I have the time

who really has time? I have time. Who really has time? I have time.
edit on 6/29/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)


We all have time, it's a gift, or a curse, & what we choose to spend it on is our own choice. We could make the wrong choice and waste our time with trolls and nonsense, or be more productive with it, and that is also a matter of perception


Let me tell you a little about myself & my posts. I edit a lot. So if I was to succomb to the almighty rule I don't think you have any idea how much the staff here are going to hate me.

So I am not wasting my time with this thread. It accomplished 2 things for me. 1. I got to vent my frustration with this rule. 2. I let staff know that not only do I not enjoy this but neither do others. So can we please take it into consideration for change?

The rule really isn't needed, imo, and its kinda amazing you'd defend it so much

edit on 29-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
reply to post by BrokenCircles
 


As far as I know this site is a magical playground powered by twinkly fairies running on hamster wheels. Which is to say I have no earthly idea regarding the behind the scenes magic.


reply to post by Swills
 


It may be an inconvenience at times, however without it this place could easily become chaotic. Not to say that it isn't chaotic at this time of the year, but it would be more so if this feature wasn't in place.


Really chaotic? I'm definitely new here but I'm not new to forums, & never have seen that to ever be a problem. But I will agree that this forum is different. Has there ever been a time when there was no edit time limit or a longer time limit window?

edit on 29-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills
 


There was a time when we had no time limit. The problem was that a thread author would get upset with the comments being left in the thread or a member or the weather...etc This prompted these members to completely destroy many ongoing in-depth discussions by deleting opening post and comments. I mean members were putting a lot of effort into some thread only to find it a waste of time because of the destruction. Hopefully the 4 hour time limit is enough for most members now.



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by Swills
Oh god, who really has time for such nonsense. While I don't disagree with you that there is indeed trolls on every forum, it is their own fault if they fall subject to trolls. Any Mod here can spot a troll a mile away & will do what they do best. So lets not fret

I figured I could contact someone to edit my post, problem is I just wanna be able to do it myself

Who really has time?
It would have taken much less time and effort to just send an 'Alert,' as opposed to creating a thread about the issue.

Now, you have spent more time, and have most likely still not changed/edited whatever it was.
In a shorter amount of time, it could have already been fixed/edited.


 

ETA:
hmm

Originally posted by Swills
Who can I write about this


Seriously, I have the time

who really has time? I have time. Who really has time? I have time.
edit on 6/29/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

LMAO I vote this the best exchange of the entire night!

I have 119 minutes remaining to edit this post btw
edit on 29-6-2011 by Forevever because: I felt naked without an edit line



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
The rule really isn't needed, imo, and its kinda amazing you'd defend it so much

I wasn't defending it, because it is flawed(as far as I know, it's never actually a full 4 hours).

However, no limit at all, could cause several problems. Some of which have now been mentioned in this thread. There are other possible problems that could also arise if there was a 'limitless edit time.'

I was just pointing out your contradiction.



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills
 


It is not the 4 hours I can live with that. It is the fact that it is lying as you only get 2 hours, and worse that that because Europe and America change into summertime at different times you can get only 1 hour here. Conversely at the other end of the year I am looking forward to a couple of weeks of 3 hours!!

Dates and ATS are a serious problem. I have moaned about this several times, and the fact that ones profile defaults to Casablanca!! (or I suppose for others NOT what it was set to.)
(It should be GMT London Dublin etc since that is what it is set to.

edit on 29/6/2011 by PuterMan because: digital dyslexia
edit on 29/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
reply to post by Swills
 


There was a time when we had no time limit. The problem was that a thread author would get upset with the comments being left in the thread or a member or the weather...etc This prompted these members to completely destroy many ongoing in-depth discussions by deleting opening post and comments. I mean members were putting a lot of effort into some thread only to find it a waste of time because of the destruction. Hopefully the 4 hour time limit is enough for most members now.


Say it isn't so. Only here



posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by Swills
The rule really isn't needed, imo, and its kinda amazing you'd defend it so much

I wasn't defending it, because it is flawed(as far as I know, it's never actually a full 4 hours).

However, no limit at all, could cause several problems. Some of which have now been mentioned in this thread. There are other possible problems that could also arise if there was a 'limitless edit time.'

I was just pointing out your contradiction.


If I ran this site I would have no time limit on any edits or deletes. But I'm open to having the time limit be extended. As we already know, it's not even 4 hours. Maybe 2 hours?

Thanks Puteman! Well there ya go!
edit on 29-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
reply to post by Swills
 


There was a time when we had no time limit. The problem was that a thread author would get upset with the comments being left in the thread or a member or the weather...etc This prompted these members to completely destroy many ongoing in-depth discussions by deleting opening post and comments. I mean members were putting a lot of effort into some thread only to find it a waste of time because of the destruction. Hopefully the 4 hour time limit is enough for most members now.


I did a search under 'exceeded four hours' and landed here. Members/some members including me are right, for us there is no four hours, more like half that, I thought the mods could have dealt with that in some way. Is this something unique to us brits or what.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Honestly I can't remember the time limit...it may be 2 to 4 hours...Not sure.

When I was a member I would type my posts and threads in notepad...edit, refine thoughts and when I had it somewhat perfect I would post.

Maybe you could do the same.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There's another thing to consider. A member may not delete his post but alter it to say something other than it originally said. Then we'd get complaints that a response is off topic. Don't think that wouldn't happen. It would. One only has to look at some of the childishness on this site to prove that. That would be something that we couldn't prove thus an action that shouldn't have taken place would. Not fair to the membership.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Honestly I can't remember the time limit...it may be 2 to 4 hours...Not sure.

When I was a member I would type my posts and threads in notepad...edit, refine thoughts and when I had it somewhat perfect I would post.

Maybe you could do the same.


No guys, I coming from a different angle altogether, the limit is a stated four hours, actually it says 'You have exceeded the maximum four hours', I do NOT have that privilege. Your post is fine, I've done the same, I don't know why the other mod below you posted in his vein, not needed. This is my instance, today there is a thread on the UK weather,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

in my post I included a picture of a new cloud formation, 'Undulatus asperatus' a couple of hours or so later, but not much more, one of the family was looking at the picture and remarking on the 'mountains' in the picture, there are no mountains but just sky, all but a few tree tops at the very bottom edge, but she thought it was winter scene, which it is not.



That's when and why I thought I should edit the post, to add information to make things clearer, I was unable to do that, except with another post. I hope that makes things clearer.
edit on 30-8-2012 by smurfy because: Text.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I just want to jump in and reiterate what kinglizard suggested as it's my common practice also. Use notepad or wordpad as an editing tool. This prevents many posting issues such as realizing you made a boo-boo on your OP all the way up to preventing those dreaded and embarrassing empty OP posts.


~Heff



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I just want to jump in and reiterate what kinglizard suggested as it's my common practice also. Use notepad or wordpad as an editing tool. This prevents many posting issues such as realizing you made a boo-boo on your OP all the way up to preventing those dreaded and embarrassing empty OP posts.


~Heff


I do that, (not this time
) but I see we were posting at near same time, so maybe my last post you missed, but thanks anyway.
edit on 30-8-2012 by smurfy because: Text.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy
 


It's all good. I saw your replies but wanted to accentuate the point for the benefit of any newer members who might be following along with the thread!


This site can be intimidating to those who come from other, totally text based sites or forums... I like to take every opportunity that affords itself to throw out education and reinforcement of good practices to try and mitigate as much "stage fright" for other members as I can.

~Heff



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by smurfy
 


It's all good. I saw your replies but wanted to accentuate the point for the benefit of any newer members who might be following along with the thread!


This site can be intimidating to those who come from other, totally text based sites or forums... I like to take every opportunity that affords itself to throw out education and reinforcement of good practices to try and mitigate as much "stage fright" for other members as I can.

~Heff

All well and good, I know about actual stage fright in the real term. But the things is, and for this OP, there is not actually a window of four hours to edit a post. In my case, about two and a half hours, you will see that in the times of my postings at the linked thread. So there is a technical problem of some sort with the forum, that I have no doubt about.



posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If there is an image you wish to replace or text that doesn't change the context of the thread u2u a moderator and we will be happy to make the change for you...at our discretion.

We are more than happy to work with you if the criteria is met.



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
If there is an image you wish to replace or text that doesn't change the context of the thread u2u a moderator and we will be happy to make the change for you...at our discretion.

We are more than happy to work with you if the criteria is met.


The criteria in this instance is about 'four hours' and is not properly defined, and there is certainly no 'four hours' allocated to me, and to others it seems. As for the 'fours hours maximum' notice that appears, does this mean for instance, that different posters are allocated different editing times within the 'four hour' zone?





new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join



atslive.com

hi-def

low-def