It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, be honest. We know it, you know it.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
Theres a big difference from being religious and believing in a god. One is completely poisonous and one isn't.

I don't believe in atheists. To be an atheist would be to deny the sky doesn't exist. Theres no explanation for anything in this life, so for someone to claim to hold these truths is lying. Thats the bottom line. None of you exist!

Oh EDIT: Ive been there and done that, to be honest being a christian was the most miserable time of my life. To teach children they will be raped by demons in hell and they will burn forever and ever is evil in my opinion. Forcing things upon kids is wrong. Also don't judge me, something Christians love to do. You don't know why i became one or when I did or why I stopped being one. I have my reasons.
edit on 28-6-2011 by reesie45 because: (no reason given)

So you have been there and done that and you abhor teaching children about hell and being raped by demons. Well that's good you hate those things because God does too, the fact of the matter is that the churches of man have so perverted the word of God and his. True teachings that God himself will destroy most. Churches himself and also promises that judgement begins at the pulpit.

You see the bible was originally written with over 13,200 words and the English translation only uses 6,200 words . So how much meaning is lost maybe unto fifty percent. For instance you talk of hell and suffering there for eternity. We are all of Gods children and God wants none of us to suffer and if he does have to judge us to death then we will simply be blotted out of existence and from the minds of all who new us . The word HELL in the bible in most cases should have been translated grave. If any of you truly. Want to understand God and His letter to us the Bible then you must come out of the churches of man unless they teach the Bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse. Always going back to the original language to check the correct translation of the words and context in the verses.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Why all of a sudden is it an attack on christianity if you are an atheist?? What about the muslim, jewish, hindu, buddist, and all other shapes and forms of religions out there. I don't care to follow a religion because my life is controlled by my actions and my free will, not what a book or priests or a pope tells me how it should be lived. That and I'm not sure if you are aware of this Lionhearte but christianity wasn't the first religion. There WERE others.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I was brought up in catholic school, and ironicly, that is the reason i no longer believe in god. I found the institution completly hypocritical, immoral, and false. I accept the fact that the institution of christianity is not needed to be christian, only faith is needed, but i have no faith in a god, only myself.
I believe the bible is a good book, but one of philosophy, showing a way of life that has its own ideals, and on the front cover it seems logical, however it is not for everyone, which is one of gods gifts, indiviuality and free will, and i believe we should all use these gifts that where given by a supposed god.
More people would accept christianty and feel more confertable with the idea if it didn't invade our private lives so much. People like to feel in control of their own decisions, to use their free will, and nothing is more annoying than people coming door to door, useualy at dinner time for some reason, to tell you something you already know. You can tell them over and over again that you respect their faith, but its not for you, and they see you as someone who needs to be "saved", and to me, that is incredibly degrading and insulting. My way of life is fine, i have faith in myself, i tend to follow the commandments because i believe that they are a good moral guidence, but i do not personaly believe in god.
To me, i see no difference in one person living a good life in the eyes of the bible but not beliving in a god, and someone beliving in god and doing the exact same thing.
People miss the point, jesus wanted people to live good and help each other out. If there is a punishment in store for all the good people who lead a good and moral life without believing in god, well then it doesnt seem fair at all and, to me, shows a huge hypocracy in the whole belife.

People must respect peoples belifes, it's their choice and it should be respected. Atheist, chritian, islam, hindu, whatever, just as long as you dont push and force your belifes on others, then no problem should occur. Only through conflicts of belifes do wars and day to day immoral actions are performed.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
...delete
edit on 28-6-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The real reason you will not believe in Christianity is because it would interfere too much in your daily life. You'll feel like you're being forced to stop drinking and smoking and all the things deemed "wrong" by the Bible that you'll soon start to think that it's nothing more but "control".

I didn't read any farther than this.

What the hell is your problem?..............................Why do you think that you are above everybody else.

This is why I do not believe in faith......YOU PEOPLE think you are better than everybody else.................................Judging people are we?

WTF

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

youve been listening to this for 2000 years. how old are you?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

So in your OP you're willing to make such a sweeping and generalised attack on atheists because of what you believe is the real reason?

I'm an agnostic, I believe in God's existence even if a lot of the time I'm not sure he even does but the reason I hate religion is because I disagree with labels and disagree especially with the notion that one religion is trumpeted as the only true religion. That's how holy wars start.

Interfering with people's lives as a reason? Don't be so silly. Some just don't find the idea of getting on their knees and speaking to what they think is a fictional character as appealing, just like I don't find the idea of base jumping very appealing either.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
.. and heres me thinking that the bible was just a roman rewrite to merge christianity with paganism to help controll the public... but meh.. what do i know?

I choose not to believe in god as i have studied the bible (went to sunday school, poth parents are christian) and personaly think most of it is just a load of rubbish imho. There are some good historical points in there but on the whole.. its a pretty dull read.

I don't doubt that jesus existed and created a following of people but i feel he was more of a sect leader than the son of god... and the only reason he was successful at that was all the other sects of the time would not allow membership by the "impure" (such as the essenes beleived to have been controlled by James the Just if memory serves). So basically anyone sick, lame or considered unclean would not be able to prey with the big boys. Not suprising then that jesus's "anyone can join" approach was a success.

In my view.. to beleive in the bible is to follow rome.

essenes + supernatural elements and rituals from the pagans = the bible.

Well.. there you have in all honesty my beleifs on your religion. Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TylerDurden2U

I'm sorry but what? I didn't say I had been listening to this. How are your reading comprehension skills?

I said christians have been saying this for 2,000 years, which they have. They have written about Jesus' return since the disciples were supposedly told he would return in their generation.

You failed miserably in your pitiful attempt at wit.
edit on 28-6-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

The real reason you will not believe in Christianity is because it would interfere too much in your daily life. You'll feel like you're being forced to stop drinking and smoking and all the things deemed "wrong" by the Bible that you'll soon start to think that it's nothing more but "control".

I didn't read any farther than this.

What the hell is your problem?..............................Why do you think that you are above everybody else.

This is why I do not believe in faith......YOU PEOPLE think you are better than everybody else.................................Judging people are we?

WTF

Forgive my interjection here.

The OP is clearly morally superior.

As a good Christian, he/she doesn't smoke or drink.

This is because they are most often the first in line to donate their extra kidney, and smoking or drinking might hurt that organ.

You see, every year, thousands of people actually DIE, because no one will give them (their extra) kidney.

No doubt, a healthy person, giving up their extra kidney, well, such a thing could very much interfere with your daily life (as the OP stated).

Therefore, atheists are highly unlikely to donate their extra kidneys. The logic is pretty straightforward.

Oops. Forgot one thing. How is it that thousands must die every year, when there are millions of such wonderful, healthy Christians around?

Forget it. Perhaps I missed something after all.

JR

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I think what we are revealing here is the OP questioning his/her own faith.

Yes, it can be hard work being a "good Christian", especially if you are living a clean and healthy life too. Immagine, no smoking or drinking or drugs, lots of healthy excercise, always being there for people in your congregation, church every Sunday (At least!)..... A lot to commit to. It would only be natural to start questioning all this, and what better way than to throw out exactly these issues to an internet forum to see how others deal with them?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

Buddhism, Daoism, and may more.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

can you provide some documentation to this? you seem to know things. could you please add supporting documents to your disclosure?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

i noticed you used hell in your thrashing. can you elaborate? in what context are you using the word hell to prove your point?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

you wanted to donate your kidney! awesome, please sign up today!organdonor.gov...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Are you too, a Scientist?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I've noticed how several members are picking out which post to nit-pick at, and leaving several that can not be faulted.
2nd line.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

when you refer to christian, why do you include pope and priests? those people worship mary, and a string with beads on it. big difference in christian and catholic.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
Atheists, be honest with the reason you don't believe in Christianity - it's not because you researched the entire Bible, front to back, found all possible "contradictions" (which are always out of context), and came to the undeniable conclusion that God is fake/imaginary.

It's those people who realize it's not works that get them into Heaven, but that they are saved by FAITH through the grace of God.

Realize that no one is perfect. I don't care how good you think you are, or how good you think someone else is - when you ask, "how can God send that person to hell? They're so good!", and let me tell you - no one is good, no one is righteous; all fall short of the glory of God.

You don't know what true Christianity is about.. because you're not a part of our family.

But you're welcome to join.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

You know, I've always wanted to discuss Christianity with a person such as yourself. I am not an athiest nor do I consider myself a Christian, but I do believe that Jesus is coming back soon and that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord. There are a few things that I'd like to ask you since you seem so sure about your teachings. When you say that it's not works that get a person into heaven but that they are saved by faith through the grace of God, in essense you are saying that true faith is apart from works, it's as if you've never read James 2:26 -"Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works." You say that no one is righteous, you talk as if there were no righteous human beings in the bible, make it sound as though it's not possible to be righteous. Here are just some examples of righteous people in the bible.

This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God. (Gen 6:9)
Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. (Mat 1:19)

Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. (Luke 2:25)

And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. (Mat 23:35)

and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard) (2 Pet 2:7,8)

Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? (James 2:21)

I believe that everyone has sinned, but I don't believe that Christians are perpetual sinners and I do believe that our deeds matter just as much as our words and thoughts and beliefs. You ought to watch what you say. Matthew 12:37 -'for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
I would like very much for your response to what I have written here, though I doubt I've been taken seriously since I've opposed some of your beliefs. What I'd REALLY like to know is, who do you think will judge who gets into heaven and who goes to hell, is it God the Father who will look down on you and see Jesus, or is it Jesus who will decide where you go based on your deeds?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TylerDurden2U

Jesus Returns Predictions

About 30 CE: Yeshua is recorded as saying: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Since the life expectancy in those days was little over 30 years, Jesus appears to have predicted his second coming sometime during the 1st century CE. It didn't happen.
500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.
1000-JAN-1: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000.

Hope that helps.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join